DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

paaron46 06-29-08 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Robertwoj
No problem at the Gurnee, Ill store. I got the last tin on the shelf and it had the coupon. They had plenty of all the other seasons, so I got all 6 for $28.96. Checkout was a breeze. Pulled the coupon off the set, gave it to the clerk to scan and everything else was automatic. His jaw dropped when he saw the final price. He even asked if I wanted to keep the coupon. I got the deal AND the coupon back in my hand. Now how do they get reimbursed if I still have the coupon??

That's funny because there was a place on the coupon that said "write in amount of reimbursement."

domino harvey 06-29-08 11:02 PM

Now how do they get reimbursed if I still have the coupon??

I'm not sure. In this scenario the cashier is supposed to save the coupon and write the final cash value on it. Maybe their computer system automatically logs the use of the coupon and uses the receipts to get reimbursed by Fox? I'd hope so, for the cashier's sake. Most stores do bookkeeping in the morning, you could bring back the coupon tomorrow with your receipt so they can match it to the right till. But the store could possibly just peel one off another set and throw it in for reimbursement, so it might not even be a big deal.

Robertwoj 06-29-08 11:07 PM

The use of coupons in previous threads (where copies were accepted) got me thinking. Does any store actually send coupons in for reimbursement these days? Or is coupon usage tracked by computer and remitted electronically? Seems kinda silly with technology to have to physically submit the coupons. Does anybody know if stores actually sort their coupons? I can just imagine how much time that would take a grocery store to do, considering how many more coupons grocery stores see.

kyle 06-29-08 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Best Buy wants not only to get $XX.xx per set on the retail end, but also wants to be reimbursed for $15 per set on top of it.

Indeed, Best Buy can charge your card the "correct" price up till the point you sign for it. Afterwards, it's their responsibility for any erors they made. As long as you're checking out they can change the prices, but once you sign and leave, they can't do shit. The sale is done.

Best Buy is probably selling more copies due to the $1.99 than they ever would without the deal. Most of the people on this thread probably would not have purchased even at 16.99.

jPoD_TGN 06-29-08 11:09 PM

So my Best Buy is showing all in stock. Should I just do in store pick up?

My Other Self 06-29-08 11:11 PM

No problem at the Gurnee, Ill store. I got the last tin on the shelf and it had the coupon. They had plenty of all the other seasons, so I got all 6 for $28.96. Checkout was a breeze. Pulled the coupon off the set, gave it to the clerk to scan and everything else was automatic. His jaw dropped when he saw the final price. He even asked if I wanted to keep the coupon. I got the deal AND the coupon back in my hand. Now how do they get reimbursed if I still have the coupon??

They don't

You sir, are very lucky!

kyle 06-29-08 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by jPoD_TGN
So my Best Buy is showing all in stock. Should I just do in store pick up?

You may want to do that to reserve, but then return and re-buy as they need to apply the coupon in order to get the extra savings.

Josh-da-man 06-29-08 11:36 PM

I'll try for this deal next week, but I'm not counting on getting it.

My Best Buy usually peels off those little "Buy this and X, Get $Y off" coupons off of any DVD that has them before they even go on the shelves. (They've done this several times in the past. The DVD shrinkwraps have the little clear backs on them where the coupons was.)

So I'm assuming they'll do the same for these, too.

(Yes, they're complete chickenshits.)

musick 06-30-08 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

My Best Buy usually peels off those little "Buy this and X, Get $Y off" coupons off of any DVD that has them before they even go on the shelves. (They've done this several times in the past. The DVD shrinkwraps have the little clear backs on them where the coupons was.)

considering the $16.99 pricing is good through Saturday not counting on getting this deal next week would pretty much be a 100% certainty :D

Private Donut 06-30-08 12:25 AM

I was looking to get a couple seasons of 24 at BB today, saw the SE Season 1 box with coupon, and snatched up all 6 seasons (Rochester, NY; Store 433).

At the register, the cashier called the manager on duty, who came over and looked at the coupon, and stated that it could only be used on 1 season. I pointed out that it said "up to a combined total discount of $75 for seasons 2 through 6". I also pointed out that there were no other "offers" or "coupons" being used, that $16.99 was the current selling price.

She refused to honor the coupon.

Rather than waste time arguing, I said thanks, and paid the sale price.

I promptly went home and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau online.

I expect to have a refund within 30 days.

I encourage others to do the same. Best Buy is a BBB Accredited Business, and resolves all complaints filed through the BBB. They have had over 12,000 complaints filed with the BBB over the last 3 years.

http://minnesota.app.bbb.org/report/7663

To file a complaint:

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

By going through the BBB you add to their public record, instead of their internal record, which they will never share. You are also more likely to receive a favorable outcome.

Had they honored the coupon, they would have received the $75 from Fox. Now they will likely never get to redeem the coupon, and that $75 will come out of their own pockets. Stupid.

Jedi Master 33 06-30-08 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by musick
considering the $16.99 pricing is good through Saturday not counting on getting this deal next week would pretty much be a 100% certainty :D

By Saturday, you mean the 5th right?

Well, at least I'll be able to replace my S4 copy now. I made the mistake of buying a used copy with a crack in the middle ;)

musick 06-30-08 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
By Saturday, you mean the 5th right?

yes

Jedi Master 33 06-30-08 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Sweet dude. I wanted the Season 1 SE and Season 6...glad to know it's on sale and I can get season 6 for that $1.99 (since apparently that's all it's worth ;))

It's not even worth that much... ;)

DVD Polizei 06-30-08 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I have to wonder if the employees and managers are stealing the coupons (yes, stealing) and then using them themselves later on the following week, including their employee discount. They then sell them on auction sites and local places for credit or cash.

If you have access to such stock, you could double your retail pay rather easily by pulling key items after one alert customer comes through your line and flags the manager.

It's too coincidental I call my local Best Buy, CSR says they physically see several. I go online and they are in stock. Then I go to the store not 10 minutes later and they are entirely gone. I even called Best Buy today and told them about an email I received 20mins after my entire order was complete and ready for pick up. The CSR even admitted it was fishy and didn't make sense.

atari2600 06-30-08 01:26 AM

id hope that the managers themselves get punished everytime they turn down one of these legit deals. if im a higher up exec and i find out that one of my store managers is being rude, messing up these deals, costing them money, and costing them future business id be pissed.

i hope they get what they deserve and it ends up costing them way more than $75 out of their own pocket - if they cannot read a simple coupon they dont deserve their job.

domino harvey 06-30-08 01:50 AM

I have to wonder if the employees and managers are stealing the coupons (yes, stealing) and then using them themselves later on the following week, including their employee discount. They then sell them on auction sites and local places for credit or cash.

It's my understanding that employees at retail stores cannot use coupons in addition to their employee discount (it's an either/or situation), but this policy may vary from retailer to retailer...

The Cow 06-30-08 02:01 AM

It's too coincidental I call my local Best Buy, CSR says they physically see several. I go online and they are in stock. Then I go to the store not 10 minutes later and they are entirely gone. I even called Best Buy today and told them about an email I received 20mins after my entire order was complete and ready for pick up. The CSR even admitted it was fishy and didn't make sense.

This was posted/flooded on SD and FW early. What you suggest is entirely possible, but this one was plastered on all of the deal sites.

On a side note, I've always been able to have BB hold an item for me for 24 hours over the phone at the 3 Best Buys that are local to me. Not sure if this is any kind of policy, just throwing it out there.

DJariya 06-30-08 02:28 AM

You know some of you should be thankful that Best Buy even accepts coupons. I know alot of Circuit City's don't accept them. Also, the sets are already on sale and I think the price is pretty damn good already. If you can walk away paying $27 something for all 6, then great I hope you enjoy the sets and then enjoy the movie and season 7. Heck, if I didn't already own all 6 seasons, I might have looked into this as well. I'm always out for a bargain.

But, I think it's going way overboard to file complaints with corporate/management or with the BBB. I mean it's a fucking DVD, a total impulsive, frivilous purchase. It's not like your buying a stove or refridgerator. I mean pretty much most sales don't allow you to combine a coupon with a discounted item and at $16.99 a pop, Best Buy isn't making a dime off these and the other FOX TV on DVD. If I walked into a Best Buy and they said no, then fine I would buy whatever I could afford.

Also, if your only buying these sets just to hoard, then your only hurting those who actually are interested in the show and want to add to their collection.

Moopher 06-30-08 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
You know some of you should be thankful that Best Buy even accepts coupons. I know alot of Circuit City's don't accept them. Also, the sets are already on sale and I think the price is pretty damn good already. If you can walk away paying $27 something for all 6, then great I hope you enjoy the sets and then enjoy the movie and season 7. Heck, if I didn't already own all 6 seasons, I might have looked into this as well. I'm always out for a bargain.

But, I think it's going way overboard to file complaints with corporate/management or with the BBB. I mean it's a fucking DVD, a total impulsive, frivilous purchase. It's not like your buying a stove or refridgerator. I mean pretty much most sales don't allow you to combine a coupon with a discounted item and at $16.99 a pop, Best Buy isn't making a dime off these and the other FOX TV on DVD. If I walked into a Best Buy and they said no, then fine I would buy whatever I could afford.

Also, if your only buying these sets just to hoard, then your only hurting those who actually are interested in the show and want to add to their collection.

I can agree with everything stated.

The Cow 06-30-08 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

But, I think it's going way overboard to file complaints with corporate/management or with the BBB. I mean it's a fucking DVD, a total impulsive, frivilous purchase. It's not like your buying a stove or refridgerator. I mean pretty much most sales don't allow you to combine a coupon with a discounted item and at $16.99 a pop, Best Buy isn't making a dime off these and the other FOX TV on DVD. If I walked
into a Best Buy and they said no, then fine I would buy whatever I could afford.

Relax.. Most people are "oh well, try again tomorrow" that didn't get it today. Read the thread.

The BBB guy is a first time poster that just signed up. That's a troll, and you bit into it. Pay attention.

Best Buy will still make their money. The coupon is clear.

I will never understand the buying to resell is hurting anyone. Go buy it, it's still there! The resell prices will still be cheaper than retail. Seriously, this show has been on 6 years.

DeltaSigChi4 06-30-08 03:55 AM

I don't see why there should be any animosity towards the BBB post guy.

He is completely in the right. He went into a BBB-accredited establishment, attempted to make a lawful purchase with a coupon from their very establishment, a coupon with very clear offer that can be understood by anyone with an eight-grade reading level, and was refused the proper service [honouring of their OWN coupon]. He has every right to file a compliant. It isn't frivolous in any way. And it's not about what item it is or isn't --- Best Buy doesn't carry stoves or "refridgerators" [sic], so does that mean that their talking monkeys with name tags that say MANAGER above their names should never be accountable for their actions? That Best Buy should never be held accountable for providing fair and equitable business/service?

E

Moopher 06-30-08 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
I don't see why there should be any animosity towards the BBB post guy.

He is completely in the right. He went into a BBB-accredited establishment, attempted to make a lawful purchase with a coupon from their very establishment, a coupon with very clear offer that can be understood by anyone with an eight-grade reading level, and was refused the proper service [honouring of their OWN coupon]. He has every right to file a compliant. It isn't frivolous in any way. And it's not about what item it is or isn't --- Best Buy doesn't carry stoves or "refridgerators" [sic], so does that mean that their talking monkeys with name tags that say MANAGER above their names should never be accountable for their actions? That Best Buy should never be held accountable for providing fair and equitable business/service?

E

It's a manufacturer's coupon, it also says it's not to be used in conjunction with other specials or offers. Let's just face it, it's on special this week, for $16.99, that's just how it is. Those of use who have been able to get it, we definetly lucked out.

By the way, what Best Buy have you been to lately without stoves or refrigerators?

DeltaSigChi4 06-30-08 04:15 AM

I don't shop at Best Buy, but I will this one time, and if the coupon isn't honoured exactly as it should be, I will definitely file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

http://www.racfencing.com/images/bbb.jpg

E

Moopher 06-30-08 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
I don't shop at Best Buy, but I will this one time, and if the coupon isn't honoured exactly as it should be, I will definitely file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

E

Make sure you read that fine print on the coupon first.

DeltaSigChi4 06-30-08 04:24 AM

$15 off all the other seasons, when brought with Season 1 SE, up to $75 off Combined.

Period.

E