DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

bluesilo 06-29-08 06:03 PM

Worked in Rhode Island.

No more Special Season 1 tins left, so I brought the one in that i bought this morning with season 6 returned them and then bought 1-4,6 (I already had a thin pack of vol.5 so I didn't want to be too greedy). Worked fine, cashier had a surprised look and that's all. Thanks OP!

chris_sc77 06-29-08 06:09 PM

Got all 6 sets in Cloumbus OH for $28.xx
I already had all the seasons of 24 but I was planning on getting the Season 1 SE so this worked out perfectly. I dont know what I'm gonna do with seasons 2-6 yet. Probably gifts. POssibly selling them off. Still too good of a deal to pass up.
Also the cashier couldn't believe it either when it took off $75.
Thanks OP

Kory 06-29-08 06:10 PM

Searched online and my local Best Buy had all the other seasons but no copies of the Season 1 tin. Will check back again later this week, but if I don't get it, no big deal. Would only do this for re-sale or trade purposes anyway. Never seen the show.

ENDContra 06-29-08 06:25 PM

So, any chance Best Buy gets more in stock this week, or are we SOL unless we just go for the 1 for 1 deal online? I live in one of the worse areas for getting in on great deals like this (lots of tech guys in Raleigh that Im sure read slickdeals multiple times a day).

musick 06-29-08 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ENDContra
So, any chance Best Buy gets more in stock this week, or are we SOL unless we just go for the 1 for 1 deal online? I live in one of the worse areas for getting in on great deals like this (lots of tech guys in Raleigh that Im sure read slickdeals multiple times a day).

don't count on it and if they do don't count on them shelving the season 1 SE
why not just pricematch @ CC or elsewhere that may have stock

in the vein of 24... the clock is ticking on this deal

billhiggins 06-29-08 06:29 PM

Excellent deal !!

It worked at the Mansfield, MA store. Most of the seasons are now gone from the shelves. The cashier said she got in on the deal right after lunch break!! I got a high five from her but no digits, lol!!

peace and thanks a bunch,
bill

Droog 06-29-08 06:37 PM

Got in for one set (S1-6)in Blasdell, NY after the cashier triple-checked the wording on the coupon. Took that set back to my vehicle and walked back in to try to score another set at another register, but the cashier there gave me a hard time saying that it was not valid on sale items. Because I'd already gotten one full set, I didn't argue too much.

After that, I went to FYE and traded everything in for $90 in credit. I thought I would get some more with the extra 20% promotion, but not bad for a $29.30 purchase.

Thanks OP!!!

Moopher 06-29-08 06:47 PM

Worked in Rogers, MN. The beauty of this test store is that no one ever goes there, so everything is always in stock. The cashier was like, you just got the best deal ever, I couldn't agree more.

ScissorPuppy 06-29-08 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by IronWaffle

Now, all I have to do is be convinced that I can't be retroactively re-charged if indeed this was an error. (The rational mind knows it can't happen; the experienced mind says this is too good to be true).

Best Buy isn't loosing a dime, They choose to sell it at 16.99. The 15 dollars off is being given back to them by fox. So need to worry. The deal is legit.

This isn't like last year's X-files deal where people were printing off Scanned copies of a real coupon. Even at that, I don't recall anyone having anything re-charged. Besides I'd love to see Best Buy try, it's HIGHLY illegal.

JB7 06-29-08 06:54 PM

The Best Buy I went to in Milwaukee WI was cleared out of all 24 seasons by a little after Noon. Dang, guess I should have skipped brunch. The guy I know there says they were pretty much cleaned out in the area. Didn't want to waste gas driving to another, so I may try Wal-Mart tomorrow. Not sure what they'll have, but its close by.

DVD Polizei 06-29-08 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Best Buy isn't loosing a dime, They choose to sell it at 16.99. The 15 dollars off is being given back to them by fox. So need to worry. The deal is legit.

This isn't like last year's X-files deal where people were printing off Scanned copies of a real coupon. Even at that, I don't recall anyone having anything re-charged. Besides I'd love to see Best Buy try, it's HIGHLY illegal.

Best Buy wants not only to get $XX.xx per set on the retail end, but also wants to be reimbursed for $15 per set on top of it.

Indeed, Best Buy can charge your card the "correct" price up till the point you sign for it. Afterwards, it's their responsibility for any erors they made. As long as you're checking out they can change the prices, but once you sign and leave, they can't do shit. The sale is done.

Kal Varnsen 06-29-08 07:08 PM

Didn't work in a Grand Rapids, MI store. Most of the tins didn't have a coupon but found one that did. Rang up fine but the cashier got his manager and wouldn't give me the deal. I kept the coupon so maybe I'll try again on a different day. I'm really disappointed.

Cshot 06-29-08 07:12 PM

I went to the one at Hawthorne, CA at opening when I saw this thread. Picked out all 6 seasons and one of the workers there approached me and said how great of a deal it was for $17 a season. I told him there was the $15 coupon which makes season 2-6 $2 each but he had this confused look on his face and left hahha.

Went to the cashier chick with nobody was in line. She scanned the coupon first but it came out as invalid. She proceeded to scan all 6 boxsets for a total of $110 after tax. She then scanned the coupon and it applied to all seasons bringing it down to $29 after tax. She did a double take and I quickly pointed out the coupon was good up to $75 for season 2-6. She glanced over it once and told me "Haha, you cheated!" with a wink. She then remarked how she wished every season boxsets out there would cost just $2.

Anyway, I already own all 6 seasons and will give the sets to my parents who love the show after I introduced them to it. Thanks OP!

My Other Self 06-29-08 07:35 PM

I think this can be classified as the true "legit" deal of the year. I still can't get over what a bargain this is.

DVD Polizei 06-29-08 07:42 PM

Hah. I ordered 24 SE S1 for in-store pickup. Got an email said it was ready for pick-up. Then 20mins later another email saying it's not available.

DonTHX1378 06-29-08 07:45 PM

Didn't work at the Fresno store, but worked at the new Clovis store. Went with my friend whom wanted all the seasons, and I wanted the S1 tins and S6. We had to dig to find sets with the coupon, but we finaly did. When we got up there the first thing the casher did was call the manager whom came over and started right in about that we couldn't use the coupon, that we were trying to scam Best Buy, and that he told someone to take off all the coupons on the S1 tin and get rid of them. He was not only rude to us, but he got rude with the casher telling her that she knew that they couldn't use the coupon, and that she could lose her job if she ran it. I asked for his name and the number for his higher up and told him I was sick of the bullshit and how people are treated there. Seems that everytime there is a good deal, the Fresno Best Buy finds a way to treat their customers like shit. It was a pain last summer with the Fox $10 off coupon, the pricematch on the HD DVDs was a mess, and now this. So we walked out, and then remembered that the one in Clovis opened a week ago! We drove over, walked right in, and found about 20 S1 sets all with the coupon on it. We went right to the front and the casher said "Isn't this a good deal, I sent my brother over so he could get the sets he needed". Even the other casher there said that it was great deal that they were thinking about getting all the sets. We were shocked and got out of the store as fast as we could.

DJariya 06-29-08 07:50 PM

Now are any of you actually buying these because you watch the show and enjoy it? I get a sense that some people are only getting it because it's "cheap" and will probably throw them all in their closets to gather dust.

For those of you who are new fans, I think this is a an awesome way to get all 6 seasons without spending hundreds of dollars or downloading poor quality online episodes and catch up before the movie in November and Season 7 in January.

My Other Self 06-29-08 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Now are any of you actually buying these because you watch the show and enjoy it? I get a sense that some people are only getting it because it's "cheap" and will probably throw them all in their closets to gather dust.

For those of you who are new fans, I think this is a an awesome way to get all 6 seasons without spending hundreds of dollars or downloading poor quality online episodes and catch up before the movie in November and Season 7 in January.

I watched the first season but lost track after that. I figure this is a great way to get caught up for the Fall movie and January premiere.

I can't believe the manager of that BB demanded that all of the stickers be removed from the S1 Tins. Come the fuck on. They're not losing out, so I don't get it.

IronWaffle 06-29-08 08:03 PM

I've never seen any episodes, but two friends (one whose taste I trust more than my own) has been recommending it. I *almost* bought S1:SE a few days ago with some long-standing trade-in credit, but stumbled on a used copy of THE WIRE:S3 (a previous addiction courtesy of the same friend) so used it on that instead. When I saw this offer it seemed like a no-brainer. If it didn't work, no big deal; if it did, all the better. If I dislike the series I can easily recoup the cost; if I like it, all the better:). Win-win.

Nickee 06-29-08 08:08 PM

I bought seasons 1, 3 - 6 this morning online with store pickup (before this deal got posted). So I have all 5 waiting for me at the store to pick up tomorrow but I was charged the full sale price.

I just checked the store availability and the only ones currently in stock are seasons 1 and 6.

So you think I have any chance of getting the deal when I go pick the order up??

I guess a nice cashier would allow me to return the order right there and buy the sets again with the coupon.

Worth a try.

I just noticed this in the pick up email:

Low price guarantee:
If your product is available at a lower price in the store at the time of pickup, your credit card and/or Gift Card will automatically be adjusted to reflect the lowest price available.

I could definitely argue this point.

DVD Polizei 06-29-08 08:23 PM

Well, you're assuming the coupon will still be on the S1 SE set. They might be pulled, and you might even have your 24 S1 SE mysteriously being unavaliable or out of stock.

IamHydrogen1 06-29-08 08:25 PM

Now are any of you actually buying these because you watch the show and enjoy it?

At four dollars a season, I may just use them as door stops. This isn't a glitch. This is a legitimate, advertised deal that clearly states "$75 off". This isn't some obscure coupon that someone scanned. Its on the front of the box.

paaron46 06-29-08 08:27 PM

Worked here in Logan, Utah although I was only able to pick up seasons SE 1, 2, 3, & 6. They had just ran out of 4 & 5. Which really sucks.

But, I guess I got the nice cashiers, because when I went up to check out a lady came running over to look at my stack. I had already taken the coupon off and was waiting for my total to be rung up. The BB lady picked up the SE 1 and was checking all over it for the coupon, and I took it out and she said "Oh you have it. So you heard about this deal huh? Pretty crazy!"

The guy rung me up and said "Not like you didn't get a lot for your money huh?"

I said "I guess there's been Best Buys turning people away."

All he said was "Really? Weird."

And then I got out of there. I'll go back next week to hopefully snag another SE 1 and seasons 4 & 5 hoping they get some more in stock. Thanks for posting this deal. Tomorrow I'm off to sell my old DVDs to the used store.

DVD Polizei 06-29-08 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
At four dollars a season, I may just use them as door stops. This isn't a glitch. This is a legitimate, advertised deal that clearly states "$75 off". This isn't some obscure coupon that someone scanned. Its on the front of the box.

And I will gladly buy those $4 door stops from you, sir! :up:

DonTHX1378 06-29-08 08:28 PM

I'm a big fan of the show, and I even have the Counter Terrorist Unit Handbook signed by Mr. Sutherland himself. I had all the seasons but 6 because I think it was the worst season, even worse than 3. I already had S1, but wanted the new SE Tin. For $16 and I can sell back the S1 I already had and get about $5-6 for it. I almost bit the bullet and got S6 at Costco for $19.99 yesturday just because I wanted the extras and I do like the first 4 hours of S6 and I'm glad I waited now.