Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

If any one has spare 25% can u pls share via pm
Old 11-11-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at B&N's facebook page and found these two links:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...COUPON-_-counm

Both worked fine for me online just now. I would be really surprised if no one else had tried to use them since they were posted publicly for many hours. Anyone want to try them out and see if they still work?
Old 11-11-11, 08:47 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by illennium
I just looked at B&N's facebook page and found these two links:

Both worked fine for me online just now. I would be really surprised if no one else had tried to use them since they were posted publicly for many hours. Anyone want to try them out and see if they still work?
Nope..if you used them, they're done. I just tried and no go. Nice find for you though.
Old 11-11-11, 10:41 AM
Cool New Member

Just a heads up, I thought I missed out on the 25% off coupon but then I checked my spam folder in gmail and there was the e-mail. Usually B&N e-mails make it into my inbox. I don't know why this one didn't. So check your spam folders.
Old 11-11-11, 12:50 PM

I've been looking at the smart coupons, and find I can generate any smart code I want by merely copying the URL that was generated when I clicked on the link in my email, changing the email address to any random one, and then changing several of the letters/numbers in the smart code which shows up in the URL after the "bc=" to any random value. When I do this, I can go to the newly minted URL and it displays the coupon with the smart code I invented. My question is: would the B&N computer allow such a generated discount coupon at the register or would it be considered invalid because that email address is not in their database of emailed coupons?

I have no need to test this out myself since I already have emails with valid smart codes sent to three different email addresses. If someone who can't seem to get B&N to send them coupons wants to try it at a store, please do. Because I'm new, it won't let me post the entire URL as a template. So if someone else can post a sample URL, you just need to change this part:

bc=(any variation of C5PUM42S5J4C7)&cm_em=(your email address>)

Let me know the result!

By the way, I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this topic has been discussed before...
Old 11-11-11, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ladyopalx
I've been looking at the smart coupons, and find I can generate any smart code I want by merely copying the URL that was generated when I clicked on the link in my email, changing the email address to any random one, and then changing several of the letters/numbers in the smart code which shows up in the URL after the "bc=" to any random value. When I do this, I can go to the newly minted URL and it displays the coupon with the smart code I invented. My question is: would the B&N computer allow such a generated discount coupon at the register or would it be considered invalid because that email address is not in their database of emailed coupons?

I have no need to test this out myself since I already have emails with valid smart codes sent to three different email addresses. If someone who can't seem to get B&N to send them coupons wants to try it at a store, please do. Because I'm new, it won't let me post the entire URL as a template. So if someone else can post a sample URL, you just need to change this part:

Let me know the result!

By the way, I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this topic has been discussed before...
Can't you try this with one of the online coupons?
Old 11-11-11, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ec461
Can't you try this with one of the online coupons?
You can only order online if you have an account associated with that email address. At a store, however, you do not need an online account.
Old 11-11-11, 01:04 PM

You can only order online if you have an account associated with that email address. At a store, however, you do not need an online account.
No, the online coupons don't check the email address. Anyway, you can always use a dummy gmail account and make a BN account using that address and use that for your coupon too.
Old 11-11-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know the result!

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if they'd actually work, but my guess is not. It does change the corresponding UPC though, in addition to the text below the UPC.

Old 11-11-11, 01:15 PM
Cool New Member

I found 7 codes for 25% off, all unredeemed, just using search engine code
Old 11-11-11, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by littlexsparkee
Have any extras?
Old 11-11-11, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by littlexsparkee
Any extras, please?
Old 11-11-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let me know the result!

Yes I've known you can do this for quite some time but the codes are not valid or will scan at a store unless you happen to guess a code that was sent to someone else that is valid. Sure maybe you could get a store to possibly override it and make it go through, but in reality it is a fake coupon. If B&N catches on people are trying to pass off phony coupons the end result most likely will be they will stop issuing them in the future. Also I believe it is a violation of forum rules to discuss or promote trying to pull a scam on a store. Sorry but I don't promote or endorse anyone doing this since it is potentially fraud.
Old 11-11-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't get a single coupon to any of my accounts. If anyone has one they won't use please PM me. It would be much appreciated.
Old 11-11-11, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

I agree with the above, it's not a good idea to try fake codes. It's embarrassing at the least, and possibly detrimental to BN using codes at all.

@ Marvin, @ Dining Dead: I handed 2 of them out on the Criterion page, used 7 myself. There's not a huge supply of them out there, but I'll see if I can't scrounge some up. What I need is a way to search for a 13 character, alphanumeric string. I don't know how to do this through Google, I've already looked for instructions and found nada
Old 11-11-11, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Yes I've known you can do this for quite some time but the codes are not valid or will scan at a store unless you happen to guess a code that was sent to someone else that is valid. Sure maybe you could get a store to possibly override it and make it go through, but in reality it is a fake coupon. If B&N catches on people are trying to pass off phony coupons the end result most likely will be they will stop issuing them in the future. Also I believe it is a violation of forum rules to discuss or promote trying to pull a scam on a store. Sorry but I don't promote or endorse anyone doing this since it is potentially fraud.
Sorry, Laser. You've been such a great source of information about coupon use, and I respect your opinion. I was suggesting this to those who have an email address registered with B&N but who have not gotten the coupon in an email as they should have. To me, that's not fraud. At any rate, the question is whether someone who has registered a VALID email address with B&N but has not received the coupon could use such a method to generate one. And yes, B&N might catch on to these things sooner or later. Look at all those who used the 50% off mystery coupon code without ever having been emailed one, for example. No wonder they only use smart codes for those now! )
Old 11-11-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to use mine:

GEBD5WJC1KA8K
Old 11-11-11, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
I didn't get a single coupon to any of my accounts. If anyone has one they won't use please PM me. It would be much appreciated.
I'd also like a coupon (non-member). I've never bought a Criterion at B&N and my birthday is on Monday. Someone please help me out!
Old 11-11-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matt925
I'm not going to use mine:

GEBD5WJC1KA8K
Is it too much to ask for people to post when they redeem a posted coupon?
Old 11-11-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, Laser. You've been such a great source of information about coupon use, and I respect your opinion. I was suggesting this to those who have an email address registered with B&N but who have not gotten the coupon in an email as they should have. To me, that's not fraud. At any rate, the question is whether someone who has registered a VALID email address with B&N but has not received the coupon could use such a method to generate one. And yes, B&N might catch on to these things sooner or later. Look at all those who used the 50% off mystery coupon code without ever having been emailed one, for example. No wonder they only use smart codes for those now! )
Still if you are generating a code it most likely is not going to be valid. Trying to pass it off as a legitimate coupon and getting a store to accept it in my opinion is fraud. The end result is going to be fewer coupons or more restrictions. Look what has already happened with the mystery coupons and the $5/$20 DVD coupons. I figure the $8/$40 blu-ray/DVD coupon is next on the list for extinction or major revision. However those were real and legitimate coupons to begin with. If anyone is not receiving B&N emails they should continue to call and complain to customer service or management.
Old 11-11-11, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Still if you are generating a code it most likely is not going to be valid. Trying to pass it off as a legitimate coupon and getting a store to accept it in my opinion is fraud. The end result is going to be fewer coupons or more restrictions. Look what has already happened with the mystery coupons and the $5/$20 DVD coupons. I figure the $8/$40 blu-ray/DVD coupon is next on the list for extinction or major revision. However those were real and legitimate coupons to begin with. If anyone is not receiving B&N emails they should continue to call and complain to customer service or management.
Okey dokey. I retract my suggestion. I love B&N. I never order online, though. I prefer visiting the store, browsing the shelves, buying way too much, and socializing in the cafe. It saddens me to see how they're eliminating niceties little by little. Not just coupons. Less promotional sales, less books and media (almost half our local store is now devoted to toys, games, and gift items), and less author signings and other programs. I fear the day might come when they become an Internet-only entity...
Old 11-11-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

....(almost half our local store is now devoted to toys, games, and gift items)...
No kidding, my stores too. What's up with that??
Old 11-11-11, 03:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Let me know the result!

YOUR MEMBERSHIP TO THE DVD TALK FORUM IS ALSO PREDICATED ON YOUR ADHERENCE TO THESE RULES. If you violate any of these rules your account will be suspended and you may be permanently banned from membership at our discretion:

ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting Information on how to defraud any company or promotion of any kind of illegal or unethical activity.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/rules.php
Old 11-11-11, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

So ... other than Criterions, what have people been buying? I'm looking for ideas ... I usually gravitate towards TV season sets (EDIT: on BD), but I haven't seen any cheap enough before discount to jump on yet.
Old 11-11-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a 25% coupon in my email. I used it to buy Cronos on blu-ray. It's really the only Criterion I was looking to pick up during the sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.