Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

My question is: can they do this? I just joined a couple of weeks ago with the idea that I would be getting 10% both online and B&M. This is not like the Borders Rewards or Best Buy, which is free. I paid $25 dollars in order to get benefits that non-members didn't have and one of those benefits was 10% off online. They are breaching the agreement we had when I paid those $25. If this is true, I will be asking for a complete refund since these are not the terms I agreed on.
Old 04-30-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dx23
My question is: can they do this? I just joined a couple of weeks ago with the idea that I would be getting 10% both online and B&M. This is not like the Borders Rewards or Best Buy, which is free. I paid $25 dollars in order to get benefits that non-members didn't have and one of those benefits was 10% off online. They are breaching the agreement we had when I paid those $25. If this is true, I will be asking for a complete refund since these are not the terms I agreed on.

You can cancel a membership within 30 days and get a full refund. Here is the link below with the details with what you have to do. The process varies depending whether the membership was made online or at a store.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/member...ds2Pid=18046#8
Old 04-30-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm really glad I decided to order Ride With the Devil blu last night, as every single criterion blu on my wishlist went up in price - some by a LOT. I'm pissed off about this frankly. I was just starting to prefer them for new releases but that's gone now - there's just no incentive without that extra 10% off the discounted prices. I feel completely gypped.
Old 04-30-10, 08:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Couldnt wait for the July 50% off sale?
Old 04-30-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, if this is the way of the future, so be it. I got the most out of my membership which ends in July. I got an unbelievable deal on the Beatles' box sets, and two huge hauls during their Criterion 50% off sales. I certainly won't be renewing if this model holds. If they want to go to a free membership model, that's fine, but they're not getting another $25 from me.

Besides, their in-store pricing for Blu-rays is scandalous, with no discount on new titles even during release week. Rather, they are a Borders-like MSRP. No. Thank. You.
Old 04-30-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Couldnt wait for the July 50% off sale?
well first it was the Spring 50% off sale....which i've been building my wishlist for but that didn't happen. 2 or 3 new titles a month are coming out that I want, and there's no possible way to afford them all at some rumored future date that may or may not happen....nor do I feel like waiting who knows how many more months for a list that's growing... who knows what will happen in the future? nothing is guaranteed, and I got it close to 50% off last night because of my membership.

but that's not possible today. which sucks.

Last edited by HistoryProf; 04-30-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Sorry but I disagree. B&N did not enact a 10% across the board reduction on all prices to compensate for the loss of the membership savings. Some things were reduced less than 10% or not at all. I'm finding on many items it's costing me more with a membership since there is no longer 10% discount being applied during checkout. Also for example you are losing the 10% savings on current sales since the member discount is now gone but the sale prices are unchanged. My point is the B&N membership has lost a lot of its luster if this new policy permanently stands. I have not seen anything indicating it runs for a limited time.
As far as I can tell, Trevor is right. I am a member and I have 57 items on my wish list that I have been watching closely, and none of the prices have changed. There used to be a "list price," an "online price," and a "member price." Now there is only "list price" and "online price." The "online price" now is what the "member price" was. At least that is the case with everything I have looked at. There may be some exceptions.

For members, everything is now 2% cheaper. You can use the AAA or Library link and save an additional 10%, which beats Bing's 8%. Previously, these discounts wouldn't stack with the member discount, but now there is no member discount. Members do get free shipping on every order, though, and it stacks with these discounts.

For non-members, everything is now 10% cheaper, since the 10% member discount has effectively been extended to everyone. Order through the Military link and save an additional 6% plus get free shipping. You're only paying 4% more than if you were a member. Until now it was about 12% more (based on Bing's 8% rebate, which was 10% for a long time and has been as high as 14%).

So the question is, is it worth paying $25 a year for a 4% discount and possibly a few extra coupons? In other words, will a few 15% and $5/$5/$5 coupons help you reach the $625 purchase threshold now required to recoup your membership fee? Of course, this is all out the window if they cancel the discount links or change the discount values.

Last edited by Jazzer; 04-30-10 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jazzer
As far as I can tell, Trevor is right. I am a member and I have 57 items on my wish list that I have been watching closely, and none of the prices have changed. There used to be a "list price," an "online price," and a "member price." Now there is only "list price" and "online price." The "online price" now is what the "member price" was. At least that is the case with everything I have looked at. There may be some exceptions.
It all depends what was on your wish list. I had some things that did stay the same price, while other things increased. Price reductions were not made on everything on the web site, and some things only decreased by 5%. Without a member discount factored in I'm seeing some price increases on those items.

For members, everything is now 2% cheaper. Since you get free shipping on all orders, you can use the AAA or Library link and save an additional 10%, which beats Bing's 8%.
I bet most customers are unaware of these links and will just pay whatever discount they can get through the regular B&N.com site. I was already getting free shipping on most orders since it only had to be $10 or more to qualify with a membership. On a lot of orders I could go through Bing to get that extra cash back along with my member discount. Now I'm forced to use either AAA or Library and miss out on Bing. I would have loved having free shipping on all orders if it would allow me to combine a member discount with Bing. But I really see no reason to make a purchase at B&N with Bing anymore since there is nothing to gain now.

For non-members, everything is now 10% cheaper, since the 10% member discount has effectively been extended to everyone. Order through the Military link and save an additional 6% plus get free shipping. You're only paying 4% more than if you were a member. Until now it was about 12%.
Not everything is 10% cheaper. However non-members are seeing discounts ranging from 5% to 10% on some items. They can pay the same price as a B&N member if the item qualifies for free shipping and Library or AAA is used to make the purchase. Of course any coupons used would also have to be of equal value as well to make the comparison valid.

So the question is, is it worth paying $25 a year for a 4% discount and possibly a few extra coupons? In other words, will a few 15% and $5/$5/$5 coupons help you reach the $625 purchase threshold now required to recoup your membership fee? Of course, this is all out the window if they cancel the discount links or change the discount values.
The way things are going it is possible they may eliminate or reduce something else down the road. I have 10 months until my membership expires but there is a good chance I may not renew it this time.
Old 05-01-10, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

It seems that the above observations are correct, in that the prices would be the same for a member or non-member when ordering through one of the specialty links with a similar coupon.

Right now, there are 15% off coupons available for both members and non-members ("everyone"), and an additional 10% off at the library link. The only additional advantage a member would reap is the free upgrade to express shipping.

Effectively, the $25 annual membership has become B&N's own flavor of Amazon's "Prime".
Old 05-01-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if the 10% member discount still applies in-store?
Old 05-01-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sumdeus
Does anyone know if the 10% member discount still applies in-store?
Looks like it does to almost everything in store.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/membership/join2.asp?

Old 05-01-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just canceled my membership and called CS for a refund of the $25.00 membership fee. The CS rep tried to argue with me that since I made purchases during those first 30 days, that I was ineligible for a refund. What an idiot. After about 20 minutes of arguing and being put on hold while she spoke with her supervisor, she finally told me that I should receive the refund within the next 30 days.

The coupons have been few and far between for the past couple of years. It now looks like pretty much everyone can get the 10% discount using sponsor links. It just doesn't seem worth $25.00 a year to get a shipping upgrade.
Old 05-01-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jazzer
As far as I can tell, Trevor is right. I am a member and I have 57 items on my wish list that I have been watching closely, and none of the prices have changed.
no he's not. I have 15 Criterion blu rays in their own little wish list section. Thursday they were all $26.99 ($29.99 - 10%) - now not a single one is less than $30....they are either $34.19 or $35.99 (10% off MSRP). the $49.95 MSRP The Leopard went up almost $10 and is now $43!!!!!!!

My wishlist prices are complete shit now....and we already got free shipping on all orders $10 or more, who here is ordering anything less than that? This is a bait and switch, plain and simple. I don't live within a 100 miles of a physical store, so this membership is now worthless to me, as the items I went to them for now boast prices on par with freaking Borders.
Old 05-01-10, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
no he's not.
Just for the record, I never said that prices are the same or aren't worse (temporarily). B&N prices flucuate all the time.

I guess I understand wanting to cancel if you're within your first 30 days, but holy crap, from the reactions in this thread you'd think the sky was falling.

Relax. If these prices hold true for several months and member coupons truly stop, then we can bitch and moan.

In the mean time I'm going to shop as I always have, buy what I want at the cheapest place, no matter where it might be.
Old 05-01-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brizz
My wishlist prices are complete shit now....and we already got free shipping on all orders $10 or more, who here is ordering anything less than that?

I did it all the time. I've ordered many books, CDs, and DVDs for under $10. Since I was able to get free shipping through the military.com and Visa links on the first page I never hesitated ordering anything under $10 if I thought it was a good price.
Old 05-01-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Relax. If these prices hold true for several months and member coupons truly stop, then we can bitch and moan.

But I want to bitch and moan right NOW!!!!
Old 05-02-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Made a new addition. Hope this is useful.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8745343-post3.html
Old 05-02-10, 08:23 PM

^ Looks fantastic, thanks!
Old 05-02-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are the freakin' man!
Old 05-02-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's awesome! How the hell did you find all those links?!?!? I think I'm gonna be lovin' that NASA bookstore!
Old 05-02-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
That's awesome! How the hell did you find all those links?!?!? I think I'm gonna be lovin' that NASA bookstore!
It's actually very easy. Just add a name at the end of http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ and see what turns up. I found these yesterday afternoon in a few hours of trial and error searching. There are probably a lot of them I missed. I was surprised when I came across the NASA store. I thought I hit the jackpot with Boeing. I'm still searching for the 20% off and free shipping link.
Old 05-02-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
To quote myself, the NASA link blows. It isn't really 11% off. It populates an 11% coupon. So you can't use another coupon with it...

The Boeing link is giving me 10% off. The main page says 7% off, but my cart says "Member Discount 10%" and it is taking 10% off. And no, I am NOT a member... But that's how it is showing for me...

BTW, I tried to use a Members coupon with that link, seeing as it appeared as if I was a member, but no, that didn't work..

Last edited by kenbenobi; 05-02-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have not had much time to play with any of these links but I did just get a coupon to work with the NASA link.
Old 05-02-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have not had much time to play with any of these links but I did just get a coupon to work with the NASA link.
Same here. It's giving me the 11% off, too.
Old 05-02-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a $7.19 CD in my cart and it is taking 11% off and giving me free shipping on an account without a membership. With a 10% coupon my total drops to $5.75 before tax. Was going to test the 15% coupon but it's coming up expired.

Same CD and coupon at Boeing is coming out to $6.01 before tax.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 05-02-10 at 10:52 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.