Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

DVD EMPIRE= SALO: Criterion 2-disk SE $19.99 pre-order price.

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVD EMPIRE= SALO: Criterion 2-disk SE $19.99 pre-order price.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Thanks phatboy...canceled my DVDEmpire order and got it at DD
Me too!
Old 05-27-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
So, will DVDempire whack me for shipping, if I cancel the Salo portion of my order with them? I bought three discs to capitalize on the free shipping, 2 of which, in stock, shipped out, Salo, still waiting upon release...
You really wanna deal with all that mess for $1.01 difference.
Old 05-27-08, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold it and will now re-buy

I bought a used copy of the original in 2000 at a local Tower Records that rented DVDs. It was in their rental section along with Hard Boiled which was also out of print. They both had their original $39.95 price tags on, even though they were rentals. I asked the clerk what the price tag was for, and he said it was to show people what they would owe if they lost it. I asked if I could buy them outright for that price, and he said sure. I then watched Salo and copied it onto VHS (as early Criterions had no copy protection and I had no DVD burner at the time). I still have Hard Boiled, but I was so disgusted by Salo--and so psyched by the fact that it was going on eBay for $150 to $200--that I sold it. I often regretted that I didn't hold out longer to get $700, but I'll take the 400% profit.

The movie is disgusting, but at the same time it is, I suppose, arty. There is a British Film Institute book about it that is actually quite good. (My disgust didn't keep me from buying the book.) After I watched it, I was both disgusted by the characters in the film but also by Pasolini--what depraved mind would actually make this movie. That said, I am completely stocked to buy the new version. I hope the extras have a lot on Pasolini. There are all sorts of rumors about his death--the best is that he was killed by one of the child actors in this film for how degrading it was to them.

I think the best description is in one Amazon review--"soul crushing."
Old 05-27-08, 06:05 PM

Why did the first disc go OOP so quickly?

I bet the people who spent hundreds on the original disc are eating their hats right now. It makes no sense to pay that much for an OOP DVD if it is in print in another region and will probably come back in print a few years later anyways. You can always watch other movies in the mean time.
Old 05-27-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravid
Why did the first disc go OOP so quickly?
Licensing issues with Pasolini's estate.
Old 05-28-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone interested in the details surrounding Pasolini's death should watch the documentary: Whoever Says The Truth Shall Die.
Old 05-28-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bet the people who spent hundreds on the original disc are eating their hats right now. It makes no sense to pay that much for an OOP DVD if it is in print in another region and will probably come back in print a few years later anyways. You can always watch other movies in the mean time.
Or have screenings of it with friends curious to see the "oddity" that could be seen no where else. I'm sure to some, owning the curiosity at that price meant a lot. I, for one, would have bragged to friends that I'd seen the DVD at someone's house... which might have been important enough to merit the cost of acquiring the OOP DVD.
Old 05-28-08, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You really wanna deal with all that mess for $1.01 difference.
My sentiments exactly. And later we'll hear carping about DD's order fulfillment.
Old 05-30-08, 08:46 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
I want to pull the trigger on this upgrade (I own the Region 2) but I'm not sure how much better the transfer will be. I imagine the $18 price tag at DDD won't remain the same for awhile. At this point I'm not sure if I could get $10 or so for my Region 2 on ebay.
Old 05-31-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Up to $28.27 now at Empire

But still $18.98 at DDD!

Went ahead and pre-ordered it for that price...i was going to wait to get it from the library, but don't know if they'll get it or not, and i'd have to wait quite a while if so. I doubt they will though. I can always sell it for that easily.

Last edited by HistoryProf; 05-31-08 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It makes no sense to pay that much for an OOP DVD if it is in print in another region and will probably come back in print a few years later anyways. You can always watch other movies in the mean time.
You're assuming that people only buy DVDs for their content. Some people buy DVDs, especially Criterions, in order to collect the DVDs themselves. (Ever look at Xage's posts?)
Old 05-31-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh... I can't decide whether to get this or not.

I'm not a Criterion completist by any means (though I do own a lot of their DVDs) - and I'm fairly confident that this is the type of film I'd only watch once. But I do really want to see it once, and I don't imagine that my local library/video rental places are going to be carrying it. And I think this is the type of film where all the extras would really help to enhance my "appreciation" of it.

And it's such a good price...
Old 06-01-08, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by me12321
Ugh... I can't decide whether to get this or not.
I'm waiting for Criterion to rerelease everything on Blu-Ray but I'll double dip if a store like Best Buy sells Salo with exclusive action figures or something.
Old 06-01-08, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mnementh
Best Buy sells Salo with exclusive action figures or something.
Best Idea Ever.
Old 06-01-08, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh
You're assuming that people only buy DVDs for their content. Some people buy DVDs, especially Criterions, in order to collect the DVDs themselves. (Ever look at Xage's posts?)
I know some people collect DVDs, but DVDs aren't the same as, say, stamps or baseball cards. Buy movies because you like them, not because they may be collectible. I could have bought a copy of Salo with a mediocre transfer and no extras for hundreds of dollars, but I'd rather pay about $40 for a copy with a good transfer and some extras. I could understand paying a lot if the version with the good transfer and extras went OOP and was replaced by an extra-free version with mediocre picture and audio.
Old 06-01-08, 02:45 AM

I know some people collect DVDs, but DVDs aren't the same as, say, stamps or baseball cards.
Again, go look at some of Xage's posts (e.g. Saw, Evil Dead, Transformers) - some people do collect DVDs like stamps and baseball cards, getting every single bonus item and variation in cover art, from every region. And some people even buy one copy of particular DVDs to watch and one to keep unopened in mint condition; that behavior isn't uncommon with OOP Disney titles.

Buy movies because you like them, not because they may be collectible.
Or spend your money in whatever manner you enjoy. To each his own.

Your personal preferences don't negate the fact that people have paid a pretty penny on Salo on eBay because they're Criterion completists. Or they're uninformed about DVD releases in other regions. Or they look at hundreds of dollars as pocket change.
Old 06-01-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 442 Likes on 256 Posts
I just pre-ordered it. I think I'm getting it just for the notoriety of the movie.
Old 06-02-08, 10:05 AM

I pre-ordered it from from Criterion the second I heard about it and then found out I could have got it so much cheaper on DDDVD.com... I'm sad.
Old 06-02-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dammit, $26.59 at DeepDiscount now.
Old 06-02-08, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy

yep - just before their sale - it was quite predictable that it would go up in price !!!
Old 06-02-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Codes do not work on pre-orders anyways.
Old 06-03-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyjg
yep - just before their sale - it was quite predictable that it would go up in price !!!
god i'm tired of idiotic comments like this. DD monitors all other etailers to have the lowest price available for all titles. when Planet had their price low, they beat it, now that it was raised to over $28 DD raised theirs accordingly.

Regardless, it's irrelevant for the sale since pre-orders aren't available for 20% off. People need to stop with this tinfoil hat crap and just stfu.
Old 06-03-08, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
god i'm tired of idiotic comments like this. DD monitors all other etailers to have the lowest price available for all titles. when Planet had their price low, they beat it, now that it was raised to over $28 DD raised theirs accordingly.

Regardless, it's irrelevant for the sale since pre-orders aren't available for 20% off. People need to stop with this tinfoil hat crap and just stfu.
gee - and I'm tired of these comebacks as well !!

and yes - we all now that we aren't going to get 20% in any case.

BUT for SOME OF US purchasing it at either the LOW OR SLIGHTLY HIGHER PRICE would be still a consideration since we international people HAVE to pay shipping fees.

oh - and Planet and DD are within the same company.
Old 06-03-08, 07:35 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
if we got the preorder in before the increase do we get it for the original preorder price?
Old 06-03-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
if we got the preorder in before the increase do we get it for the original preorder price?
They should honor the price you originally clicked on, it would be wrong not to. I'm just kicking myself in the ass for not clicking as soon as I saw it at that price. It wouldn't have cost me anything to pre-order until it shipped. I wasn't waiting for the sale because I'm well aware pre-orders don't qualify.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.