DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   DVD EMPIRE= SALO: Criterion 2-disk SE $19.99 pre-order price. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/531988-dvd-empire%3D-salo-criterion-2-disk-se-%2419-99-pre-order-price.html)

chris_sc77 05-21-08 09:58 AM

DVD EMPIRE= SALO: Criterion 2-disk SE $19.99 pre-order price.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...8490&searchID=

flix1 05-21-08 10:06 AM

Glad I sold my original Criterion release for $725 for a 4534% ROI.

zekeburger1979 05-21-08 10:20 AM

I wonder what's going through the minds of the people who have dozens of copies of bootlegs of this and trying to sell them online? Suckers!

Originally Posted by flix=
Glad I sold my original Criterion release for $725 for a 4534% ROI.

Wow. I hope the person you sold it to watches it a lot to justify the money spent.

chris_sc77 05-21-08 10:23 AM

ALso remember if you havn't used the $15 off $95 coupon you can still do that. Sadly I already used it last week,

Peep 05-21-08 11:05 AM

People weren't paying crazy prices because they really liked the movie. They were paying it to admire the spine.

True Criterion collectors will need the new and the original release. Prices may drop a bit, but these people are crazy. Prices will stay up.

kenbuzz 05-21-08 11:20 AM

How long before someone lists the "new" release on eBay, using the "old" picture, and rips someone off for several hundred bucks?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I just checked. Wow, the bottom has really fallen out of the Salo CC market! One for $55, another for $12.

flix1 05-21-08 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Edited to add: Nevermind, I just checked. Wow, the bottom has really fallen out of the Salo CC market! One for $55, another for $12.

The problem is that the market was flooded with bootlegs ... and good ones at that. Even when I sold mine a number of years ago, I had jump through hoops to prove mine was an original.

MikeDeN2K 05-21-08 12:18 PM

Plus, this release (along with any of the re-releases) will have the same spine number as the original OOP one, so not all collectors care about having both.

Doug Schiller 05-21-08 02:13 PM

That is some cover art. I would be shocked to see that in the store.
I guess it is better than my old laserdisc that had the kids lower lip pinched with a fire poker (or something like that)

Giles 05-21-08 03:07 PM

what a great price - ordered it along with 'Brand Upon the Brain!' and 'Twenty Four Eyes'

Giles 05-21-08 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
That is some cover art. I would be shocked to see that in the store.
I guess it is better than my old laserdisc that had the kids lower lip pinched with a fire poker (or something like that)

the image on the Criterion laserdisc is of a naked victim tied face down in the mud seen from a distance (the window actually)

DirkBelig 05-21-08 03:31 PM

I'd never heard of this movie and just looked it up and.........um..........yikes! :eek:

This is entertainment? :wacko:

beesonosu 05-21-08 03:37 PM

It's not only entertainment, it's Criterion! Thanks to the OP for posting. Great cover although I guess knowing what the movie is about kind of makes it a little less great... Still, it gives Anita or a Maid in Sweden a run for their money!

NoirFan 05-21-08 04:51 PM

Wow, I didn't know DVD Empire included Criterions in their 50% off pre-order deals - I'll have to keep an eye out for those!

Rizor 05-21-08 05:17 PM

This is the first Criterion I've seen on DVDEmpire's 50% off deals. The price is good, but I really don't picture myself liking this movie. So I'm gonna have to pass.

asianxcore 05-21-08 05:33 PM

Thanks OP!

Might have to jump on this pre-order. I've been itching to get the R2 release for years, but put it off.

Good to see Criterion is once again releasing this film. I like the new cover art compared to the old one.

Double_Oh_7 05-21-08 08:56 PM

Has anyone ever even seen this movie, or do you just want it for pretentious reasons?

Arpeggi 05-21-08 09:24 PM

I just want it for pretentious reasons.

tonyjg 05-21-08 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Has anyone ever even seen this movie, or do you just want it for pretentious reasons?

seen it in Sydney Australia about a decade ago - it had been 'banned' for so long here - and got a brief cinema release - before getting 'rebanned' again (i think i'm correct on that).

the film : its heavy going - and not exactly a date film :)

I've had a UK R2 BFI copy for years - and would be keen to update to a 16x9 version - however this Criterion is of interest just for the 2nd disc worth of features.

Purchase SALO at your own risk - but don't expect too much of it at the same time.

EDIT : Its a real pity that DVDEmpire has CRAP PRICES ON EVERYTHING ELSE !!!

AND WHATS WITH THEIR REQUIRING COPIES OF CREDIT CARDS SENT ??!!! OVER THE TOP !!

tofferman 05-21-08 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I'd never heard of this movie and just looked it up and.........um..........yikes! :eek:

This is entertainment? :wacko:

if you really want to see more without purchasing it, there are a few scenes of the movie on youtube. enjoy!

beesonosu 05-21-08 10:31 PM

I have a very dumb question. I'm planning on making an order that includes Salo and Midnight Blue Collection, both to be released on 8-26-08. Add a few other titles and I did receive my $15 off. If I choose standard shipping (free) and mark "Ship Complete", does that mean I will not be billed until 8-26-08 or around that date? Then I'll obviously receive my entire order at once ideally. I guess I could run into the issue of having my other titles on backorder at that time but I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

chris_sc77 05-21-08 10:37 PM

Usually they ship the titles as they become available and they charge when they ship. They are good about the shipping too. Most of their prices suck but they do have good service/shipping.

beesonosu 05-21-08 11:38 PM

I've always been very satisfied with DVDE's shipping, probably 2nd to Amazon for big e-tailers in my personal experience. I'm looking forward to August w/Salo, Midnight Blue and at least Home Sick from Synapse.

pro-bassoonist 05-22-08 12:52 AM

Sweet Movie makes a good companion.

Pro-B

mnementh 05-22-08 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7

I've seen it a few times in theaters, including at a Pasolini festival at the MOMA in NYC. So that lets me claim that I've seen it and that I'm being pretentious. :dance: