DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

General Costco DVD Thread

Old 03-23-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: General Costco DVD Thread

I saw some $14.99 Blu-ray Universal titles today at the Burbank Costco but they wouldn't let me buy them. I guess they broke street date.
Included were
the 40 Year old Virgin
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Knocked Up
Miami Vice
U571

There were others.

Last edited by Classic Films; 03-26-09 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 10:06 PM

Costco's DVD selection seems to expand and contract based upon the time of year
Wholesale clubs don't seem to keep most titles in stock for more than a few months (2-6). Then, they'll get rid of any "not new anymore" stuff that hasn't sold and get in new releases and different versions of older films for cheaper than "new" price.
Old 03-23-09, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
They were others.
Well at least they weren't tailies - then they'd be mostly dead! Haha!

A little "Lost" humor. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-24-09, 08:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by kk725 View Post
By all rights, Costco should be cheaper because their membership is more expensive. :-P I tried to go in there and price-compare once, but they wouldn't let me in the door without a card. I already knew about their membership and just wanted to browse but I was forced to go to the service desk and listen to them talk about their membership again. Never made it back to the movies! :-( Guess I need to hook up with someone who's a member and will let me shop with, eh? Oh, and I know that this is for DVD bargains, but just as an example: BJ's had Wanted on Blu-Ray for $15.99 a couple of weeks back. Bet Costco couldn't touch that one. ;-)
Just walk in with someone else presenting their card.

Or go to the service desk, wait/talk, then go into the store. I've "demoed" wholesale clubs all the time.

Costco also allows a membership refund up to 364 days later.
Old 03-24-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wholesale clubs don't seem to keep most titles in stock for more than a few months (2-6). Then, they'll get rid of any "not new anymore" stuff that hasn't sold and get in new releases and different versions of older films for cheaper than "new" price.
Really? How do you explain the frequent recurrence of M*A*S*H*: The Complete Series, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Arrested Development and other television show season sets? Costco frequently recycles older season sets into their DVD inventory (especially when they're about to have a $X off coupon for various sets). I've also seen a similar practice with many Disney titles.
Old 03-24-09, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Just walk in with someone else presenting their card.

Or go to the service desk, wait/talk, then go into the store. I've "demoed" wholesale clubs all the time.

Costco also allows a membership refund up to 364 days later.
Sounds like you're speaking from experience. ;-) So, I could purchase a membership, use it however much I wanted for a year, and then return for a full refund, and then purchase another membership, etc, etc?

Costco frequently recycles older season sets into their DVD inventory
Exactly! They can only keep a certain quantity on hand, so they'll "get rid of" older stuff (ship it back to the main warehouse, transfer it to another store, or put it up in steel) and get in "new" older stuff that they may have had before, but has either been repackaged, repriced or, as you said, it's the same they had before, but they're pulling it back out because of some promotion. How about Smallville, Rescue Me and Stargate: Atlantis? LOL.
Old 03-24-09, 08:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Sounds like you're speaking from experience. ;-) So, I could purchase a membership, use it however much I wanted for a year, and then return for a full refund, and then purchase another membership, etc, etc?
I've never done the cancel thing, but I have done the first two to check out a warehouse store before buying a membership. On the cancel thing, they may flag your name/address for abuse if you do it more than once, but I know for a fact that you can do it at least once.
Exactly! They can only keep a certain quantity on hand, so they'll "get rid of" older stuff (ship it back to the main warehouse, transfer it to another store, or put it up in steel) and get in "new" older stuff that they may have had before, but has either been repackaged, repriced or, as you said, it's the same they had before, but they're pulling it back out because of some promotion. How about Smallville, Rescue Me and Stargate: Atlantis? LOL.
I swear sometimes that Costco stock is entirely random. I feel like I need to check every week or I'll miss something.

Found a pretty good deal today. The three Fast and Furious films have been re-released in two-disc editions with $7.50 movie cash for the upcoming fourth film, each sells for $8.99 at Costco. $1.50 net each isn't bad, even if the movies are.
Old 03-26-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Madagascar 2 BR has a $7.50 instant rebate right now, making it $19.49 (at my local store).
Old 03-26-09, 02:27 PM

Is Costco stocking those Radiohead reissues or the Pearl Jam reissue?
Old 03-26-09, 06:18 PM
Banned

Saw this today:

James Bond Blu-ray Collection DVD 10-Disc $159.99 (lists for $200)

Quantum of Solace
Die Another Day
The World is Not Enough
For Your Eyes Only
Moonraker
Live and Let Die
Thunderball
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
Dr. No

$16 per disc is not great. Hopefully they'll have a coupon soon.
Old 04-02-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1, 2.0, and 3{no S2.5} for 19.99 each.
Stargate SG1 Seasons 1-10 24.99 each.
Old 04-02-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yep, mine had those as well. They had S2.5 at mine.
Old 04-02-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They also had some DC Animated titles for 12.99:

Wonder Woman Single Disc
Batman Gotham Knight Two Disc
Superman Doomsday Two Disc
Justice League The New Fronteir Two Disc
Justice League Unlimited Season 2
Old 04-08-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More $7.99 Double-packs- 2 movies/2 cases.

$3.5o a movie/DVD

1-Hearts and Soul(Robert Downey Jr.) WS
Death Becomes Her Full Frame
2-King Kong/ Jaws
3-Serennity/ 12 Monkeys
4-Animal House/Dazed and Confused (1993)

Plus 8 more 2 packs.I will post them all ,if someone is interestred in all the titles available.Pm or post here to let me know.

Also Had
Heroes Season 2/ 4 disc For $20 (Decent price)

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-21-09 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Price change
Old 04-14-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Costco had their Sin City Blu-rays out just now ($25.99). But as I expected, their computers would not let me buy it.
Old 04-15-09, 05:41 PM

The Novato, CA Costco had a few boxes of Six Feet Under for $17/season. I hadn't seen it there for a while.

Also of note were seasons of The Office (American version) for $20/season.

They also had the new Blu-Ray Pride & Prejudice (the awesome remaster that's been reviewed here), but without a price on it.
Old 04-15-09, 09:06 PM

A bunch of WB sets for $24.99: Robert Mitchum, Literary Classics, Bette Davis vol. 3, Tarzan vol. 1, Errol Flynn vol. 1, Bogart vol. 2, Astaire/Rogers vol. 2, A Western set, Thin Man... probably a few more.

Also some $16.99 Fox sets that they've had before: Peter Sellers, Frankie & Annette, Alice Faye, and more.

Also saw Forbidden Hollywood vol. 3 (the new one) for $34.99. It was with a few other $34.99 sets, including Forbidden Hollywood vol. 2.

About time the sets came back. I haven't bought any DVDs at Costco for the longest time - until today!
Old 04-15-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did they get rid of the $16.99 Buffy/Angel sets? I checked my two closest Costco's last week because I was looking for season 5 of Angel, and it seems like they vanished without a trace. Not a sign of Buffy or Angel. And for that matter, I didn't see the $25.99 seasons of Bones or the $19.99 seasons of La Femme Nikita. It seems they were all replaced by X-Files, 24, The Office, and Stargate SG-1.
Old 04-16-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33 View Post
Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1, 2.0, and 3{no S2.5} for 19.99 each.
Cool. I need 2.0 after having gotten 2.5 for $17 at the FYE clearance. Just wish I hadn't bought S3 for $30 when it released. Oh, well. I'll hold off a while for the S4-4.5 deals.

EDIT: Swung by the Madison Heights, MI store and they had S2.5 in the box with the others, so everything is available but S4.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 04-16-09 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JiM T View Post
A bunch of WB sets for $24.99: Robert Mitchum, Literary Classics, Bette Davis vol. 3, Tarzan vol. 1, Errol Flynn vol. 1, Bogart vol. 2, Astaire/Rogers vol. 2, A Western set, Thin Man... probably a few more.

Also some $16.99 Fox sets that they've had before: Peter Sellers, Frankie & Annette, Alice Faye, and more.

Also saw Forbidden Hollywood vol. 3 (the new one) for $34.99. It was with a few other $34.99 sets, including Forbidden Hollywood vol. 2.

About time the sets came back. I haven't bought any DVDs at Costco for the longest time - until today!
Last night, I tried to buy Forbidden Hollywood 2 & 3, and the system said they couldn't be sold until 4/28!
Old 04-17-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JiM T View Post

Jim,

Is this the Costco near Lindberg and 55? I saw the Warner Homefront Collection there about 4 weeks ago, but when I went back the next week to buy it, it was no longer there.
Old 04-17-09, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
Jim,

Is this the Costco near Lindberg and 55? I saw the Warner Homefront Collection there about 4 weeks ago, but when I went back the next week to buy it, it was no longer there.
Yup, that's the Costco I know and love. I didn't see that set back then. The ones I'm talking about just showed up within the week. No WB Homefront set this time that I recall, though.
Old 04-17-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hey Jim...did you notice any Warner Gangster box sets at the South County Costco?
Old 04-18-09, 03:45 PM

No, didn't see any Gangster sets. I'm looking for good deals on the later sets of those myself...
Old 04-19-09, 01:32 AM

if memory serves me correctly (as this happened a couple years ago) these should be mainly the 'mother's day' assortment of WB boxes with a 'father's day' assortment next month

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.