Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon, Buy One Get One FREE Blu-ray January 1st

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthScooby
So Warner announced today they are going blu-ray exclusive.
The war is over! HRRRRAAAYYY!!!!
How exactly does this win the war. Aren't Universal and Paramount HD exclusive?
Old 01-05-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WMAangel

HD DVD and Blu-ray have only been available for around 18-20 months at this point, yet we are getting excellent B1G1 sales and big discounts that are allowing some titles to be available for $10 or less already....this has all been due to the format war and competition between the two camps....now, if this kills off HD DVD and Blu-ray is all that's left, say bye-bye to the good deals and lower prices....
I agree. Sony is an ass and I bet, if HD-DVD fails, you won't be able to touch a Blu-Ray under $20. They've kept their hardware high and if it weren't for competition, I bet the BD would never go on sale (at least like this)
Old 01-05-08, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
How exactly does this win the war. Aren't Universal and Paramount HD exclusive?
Well, I can't see how they can survive.

What are you saying, just Universal and Paramount are going to keep HD-DvDEAD alive?

Once their contract is up they will be releasing blu the following day.

There's no way a studio will stay with a format that is only supported by itself along with a single competing studio.

It would be as absurd as if Disney released their films on a Disney only player. After a while buyers would start to resent Disney for not allowing their films to be played on a "universal" disc player. People will grow to resent Universal, Paramount and Toshiba after time as well. The last thing any household brand wants.

The death blow is consumers need to purchase a whole new player, no matter how cheaply, just to watch movies put out by Paramount and Universal.

I'm sure they are already negotiating contracts. I'm sure Toshiba wants out as much as Universal/Paramount at this point.

Why would they want to pour even more finances and resources into a dying format? This is business, money is fast. Toshiba would rather MAKE money on releasing blu-ray players than loose money supporting a format that no one else is.

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I agree. Sony is an ass and I bet, if HD-DVD fails, you won't be able to touch a Blu-Ray under $20. They've kept their hardware high and if it weren't for competition, I bet the BD would never go on sale (at least like this)
Everyone says we won't see deals on blu-ray anymore because Sony will have the monopoly.

There are a number of competing studios all trying to have the largest slice of the home video pie. There will be sales even better than there are now. Once blu is the standard, production costs will decrease, availability will be widespread among competitively priced retailers, and the opportunity to purchase used blu en mass will have us very happy for years to come.

Last edited by DarthScooby; 01-05-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that we will still see sales (though maybe not quite as many or quite as good) ... the Blu-ray companies still need to entice people to buy Blu from DVD.
Old 01-05-08, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mike2
They still haven't shipped my titles.. Blah I ordered on the 2nd.
Did you use their free "Super Saver" shipping?

When using that shipping option they often just sit on your order for as long as 5 days before shipping it out. (The delay is expressly indicated in their description of the shipping method.) I think it's just a way to get more people to sign up for Amazon Prime.
Old 01-07-08, 08:58 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
The Harry Potter films are back on sale if anyone missed them before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...01&pf_rd_i=130

Deal is now dead.

Last edited by Classic Films; 01-08-08 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-07-08, 10:03 AM

There will be sales even better than there are now.
LOL, sure there will be. I'll remember this quote for years to come.
Old 01-08-08, 03:02 AM

that seemed to be over pretty quick
Old 01-08-08, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chaka
that seemed to be over pretty quick
It lasted 7 days.
Old 01-08-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quick question. if ups delivered a package for me from amazon to the wrong house what does amazon do about it.
Old 01-08-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthScooby
Everyone says we won't see deals on blu-ray anymore because Sony will have the monopoly.

There are a number of competing studios all trying to have the largest slice of the home video pie. There will be sales even better than there are now. Once blu is the standard, production costs will decrease, availability will be widespread among competitively priced retailers, and the opportunity to purchase used blu en mass will have us very happy for years to come.
Quoted for historical relevance.
Old 01-08-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
quick question. if ups delivered a package for me from amazon to the wrong house what does amazon do about it.
Not sure if Amazon will do anything about it. UPS delivered a package of mine to Walmart. I checked online, gave UPS a call and they went and picked it up and delivered it to me. If you haven't called UPS yet, I suggest trying them first.
Old 01-08-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Quoted for historical relevance.
Could you please just once post in a blu-ray thread without trying to stir up trouble?
Old 01-08-08, 10:57 AM

I just had this happen with FedEX. I was waiting at home for the package and they delivered it and LEFT IT ON THE DOORSTEP of a wrong address. FedEX has such poor customer service they wouldn't even send someone to pick it up when I called 15 minutes later after checking tracking (and a driver must have been SOMEWHERE in the vicinity). Just leave it there for someone to steal! Following up the next morning, it was like they had no idea where the package was. I left 2 messages for local FedEX to call me and they never bothered. I called Amazon to complain, and they offered to send out another one although they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't come FedEX again. I said I'd wait another day to see if it would show up, and luckily, a good neighbor brought it over. (It had somehow gone to TWO wrong addresses.)

I would try straightening it out with UPS first in your situation, but Amazon will make the situation right if UPS screws up.
Old 01-08-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rkndkn

I would try straightening it out with UPS first in your situation, but Amazon will make the situation right if UPS screws up.

Called UPS and they said it was delivered to the correct house. I was like your wrong they asked for my address and come to find out the driver misread the address and changed one of the numbers around. They wanted me to go to the house and get it, I decided to go back to my house before work and on my doorstep was the package. I guess the house it got delivered to dropped it off.
Old 01-08-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Called UPS and they said it was delivered to the correct house. I was like your wrong they asked for my address and come to find out the driver misread the address and changed one of the numbers around. They wanted me to go to the house and get it, I decided to go back to my house before work and on my doorstep was the package. I guess the house it got delivered to dropped it off.
This just slays me. This has happened a couple of times where they try to make me into their unpaid employee and track down or deliver a package.
If they have missed by a couple doors I'll do it as a favor to a neighbor. But if it is several streets away or across town I just just tell them to do their job or take the loss.
Old 01-09-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPS can kiss my fucking ass. I have had too many "delivery attempted, no answer" messages on the tracking system when I was there all damn day (sometimes 4 days in a row on the same package). Makes me think they are too lazy to finish their route, and just mark that in their system and go have a beer with their other UPS schmucko fucks.
Old 01-09-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Not sure if Amazon will do anything about it. UPS delivered a package of mine to Walmart. I checked online, gave UPS a call and they went and picked it up and delivered it to me. If you haven't called UPS yet, I suggest trying them first.

Got an email from amazon saying they were reshipping the dvds with the fastest shipping at no charge. The person whose house they got misdelivered to dropped them off at my house yesterday morning. should I just contact amazon and tell them to cancel or just have them ship me the movies?
Old 01-09-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Got an email from amazon saying they were reshipping the dvds with the fastest shipping at no charge. The person whose house they got misdelivered to dropped them off at my house yesterday morning. should I just contact amazon and tell them to cancel or just have them ship me the movies?
Why would you have them ship you the replacement DVDs if you've received your order?
Old 01-09-08, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Why would you have them ship you the replacement DVDs if you've received your order?
Agreed, Amazon is the best ever for customer service, don't abuse it. If it were anybody else they would have said 'it's not my problem', but I've had Amazon go above and beyond for me before, so your experience not a one-off.

I had a missing shipment just before christmas and they shipped me a replacement overnight for delivery on 24th of Dec. When the original shipment arrived a week or two later, I notified them, got a free shipping label, and painlessly put it back in the mail to them.
Old 01-09-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPS dropped the package off at the wrong house. I wrote amazon and they said they would reship the dvds since they got misshipped. The person whose house they got deliverd to must have dropped them off before they went to work yesterday becuase when i got home they were on my doorstep.
Old 01-09-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hellmutt
Agreed, Amazon is the best ever for customer service, don't abuse it. If it were anybody else they would have said 'it's not my problem', but I've had Amazon go above and beyond for me before, so your experience not a one-off.

I had a missing shipment just before christmas and they shipped me a replacement overnight for delivery on 24th of Dec. When the original shipment arrived a week or two later, I notified them, got a free shipping label, and painlessly put it back in the mail to them.
Went to amazon to cancel the order and it has already shipped out. I will just refuse shipment if received or just send them back to amazon. Don't want to abuse them because it was a great deal i got in on. Kind of funny how things change around here from early last year. Wasnt their a big fuss about amazon charging people for dvds that they didnt pay for as part of a sale they had.

Just remember a thread that went on for ever about people bitching about amazon.
Old 01-09-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

UPS dropped the package off at the wrong house. I wrote amazon and they said they would reship the dvds since they got misshipped. The person whose house they got deliverd to must have dropped them off before they went to work yesterday becuase when i got home they were on my doorstep.
I got all that from your original post, what I was asking was why there was any question about whether you should attempt to head off Amazon reshipping the DVDs if possible given that you ultimately did receive your order.
Old 01-09-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got all that from your original post, what I was asking was why there was any question about whether you should attempt to head off Amazon reshipping the DVDs if possible given that you ultimately did receive your order.

I didnt think the people that got the dvds would return them or they just got lost so thats why i contacted amazon. i should have waited a day or two before contacting them to see if the people who got them by mistake would either send them back to amazon or drop them off at my house
Old 01-09-08, 01:48 PM

Wasnt their a big fuss about amazon charging people for dvds that they didnt pay for as part of a sale they had.

Just remember a thread that went on for ever about people bitching about amazon.
I didnt get in on that 'deal', but i think it amounted to a glitch in their system and people were getting a ton of free stuff they shouldn't have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.