Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FulllMetal Alchemist is a awesome series.
Old 11-09-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knives
Indeed!

I'm on final DVD (which should arrive from Netflix today). I think Fullmetal Alchemist is probably best series I have seen so far (it's now in top of my Anime list).

I suggest you not to watch the movie till you finish the series first. I learned my lesson when I bought the box set and movie - I watched the movie, I was completely lost!
Old 11-09-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Indeed!

I'm on final DVD (which should arrive from Netflix today). I think Fullmetal Alchemist is probably best series I have seen so far (it's now in top of my Anime list).

I suggest you not to watch the movie till you finish the series first. I learned my lesson when I bought the box set and movie - I watched the movie, I was completely lost!
not to mention it probably ruined the whole rest of the 2nd season for you
Old 11-09-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it did. But at least, I'm enjoying the series.
Old 11-09-07, 01:58 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 478 Posts
Tekkon Kinkreet (Blu-ray): $15.99 @ JR.com - DEAD!

Last edited by WTK; 11-12-07 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 02:58 PM

The GunBuster set comes to just under $30 at DD with the 20% off if anyone is interested in that. DD was the cheapest on it even before the 20% off.
Old 11-09-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need a guide on Ghost in the Shell series - I wanted to make sure if I go right direction. Should I start with this series:

1. Ghost in the Shell (1995)
2. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig
5. Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society
6. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: The Laughing Man
Old 11-09-07, 07:58 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I need a guide on Ghost in the Shell series - I wanted to make sure if I go right direction. Should I start with this series:

Ok, so I actually don't feel that the films are required viewing if you're going to get into Stand Alone Complex, but they are good just the same. Also worth noting that "The Laughing Man" is actually the first season of SAC condensed into a movie form so it's not something new.
Old 11-09-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm really disappointed that Paprika (Blu-Ray) is just barely going to miss the sale. I was really hoping to grab that for ~22.xx.
Old 11-09-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my TMOHS Volume 4 LE from Amazon today. No floaters; both discs are perfect.

(Plus I finally get to watch my favorite ever scene from an anime on a big screen instead of on my computer. People who know this series know what scene it is I'm talking about)
Old 11-09-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would actually go exactly in the order of the sequence that you listed, period. Don't forget to add Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig: The Individual Eleven .. that will be released in December.

I always approach the film/series as "stand alone" as far as narrative order. My opinion is that I think they should only be distinguished in that respect. Therefore ...

1. The classic that began it all (Oshii's mind)
2. Follow up (Oshii's mind)
3 - 7 (seventh being the Individual Eleven) should be watched in the order with which they appeared.

Realistically, unless you're a completist as I am, you don't even need to add the Laughing Man or Individual Eleven releases ... as they are simply truncated versions of the SAC and GIG releases, exploring the primary plots of each season. The filler or rather, character development episodes are forgotten. So, it's really up to you ......
Old 11-09-07, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, Laughing Man and Individual Eleven are recap movies. They're the predominant arcs of Season 1 and 2 respectively. I wouldn't bother. Unless they released Bluray renditions or something.

Personally, I was never a big fan of the first two movies and I love the series. They're kinda alternate universes of each other, so I wouldn't let one turn you off the other. I'd still check out the movie, your number one, first. And if you don't like it, skip straight to 3, the TV series. But do give the first disc of the tv series a shot regardless. It's good stuff.
Old 11-09-07, 10:33 PM

Just picked this up. Thanks!

WTK. Just wanted to tell you how amazing this thread is and how amazing you are. I think I have a mancrush on you. Thanks for everything.
Old 11-09-07, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Oh I do wish they'd release the GitS series in HD. It would clean up. There are already HD masters. I'd be happy if they'd release any series in HD here in the States in with at least English subs at this point (at an affordable price).

Last edited by Eric F; 11-09-07 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bertobarto
Personally, I was never a big fan of the first two movies and I love the series. They're kinda alternate universes of each other, so I wouldn't let one turn you off the other. I'd still check out the movie, your number one, first. And if you don't like it, skip straight to 3, the TV series.
Unfortunately, (as I am a fan of the entire GITS universe) I can't agree with this statement. The film has to be seen ... as the does the second.

The two "universes" as you put it ... and I agree with this ... are different in nature and plot. And I'll simply cite this compared against the first film. The second film (in my opinion) is a requirement for judgment sake alone, as is the original Ghost in the Shell film. The ideology, continuation, subject matter .. whichever really, may not be carried in Innocence as strongly as the first film. But I'd rather it be judged by the viewer as this film seems to draw extreme opinions. Innocence has a soul of it's own sort to speak. The groundbreaking imagery (animation) and soundtrack really does need to be experienced by the "true" GITS fan, period ... at least in my humble opinion. There are aspects about Innocence that are mind numbing despite one of its weaknesses as being conceived as pretentious (overtly or I would more appropriately put, drawn out philosophizing nature for example). I believe the main weakness with Innocence is 1) expectation, obvious as its debatable lack of extended linearity in plot from the first and 2) inconsistency in design ... case in point, animation. The 3D animation is amazingly beautiful but there are noticeable flaws when blending in the 2D realms.

Quite simply, Innocence is a sci-fi crime thriller and a quite involving one at that with familiar faces. Despite some of the perceived flaws and expectations, I loved Innocence and I couldn't imagine not giving that opportunity to try out, especially for others that enjoy the original GITS film or the Complex.

Each film and or TV series offers a different "universe" but each also offers a commonality in character design and growth. Rather put, if one enjoys only the Complex TV series .. great, but how could one truly be a fan if the original film or Innocence couldn't be taken into consideration?

.. and if I'm wrong, please school me .....

Last edited by visitor Q; 11-09-07 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
Oh I do wish they'd release the GitS series in HD. It would clean up. There are already HD masters. I'd be happy if they'd release any series in HD here in the States in with at least English subs at this point (at an affordable price).
Not sure if this would really help out the Ghost in the Shell film considering the age of the source material. And I would actually be interested to see the benefits of an HD source over what is already available of the best SD release of Innocence. The audio and video qualities of the SD release are among the best.

.... worthy of an upgrade ....... that poses a valid, albeit interesting question.
Old 11-10-07, 12:03 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Fodder1976
Just picked this up. Thanks!

WTK. Just wanted to tell you how amazing this thread is and how amazing you are. I think I have a mancrush on you. Thanks for everything.
Thanks...I guess!
Old 11-10-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
Thanks...I guess!
I see a Yaoi is on the horizon!
Old 11-10-07, 12:13 AM
WTK

Personally I liked all of the Ghost in the Shell movies and the TV series.

...and also if my memory serves me correctly, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Individual Eleven use a different English dub cast than the regular seasons.
Old 11-10-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finallllllllly finished Fullmetal Alchemist! Now I understood what's going on in movie version.
Old 11-10-07, 12:17 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I see a Yaoi is on the horizon!
Good one!
Old 11-10-07, 12:19 AM
WTK

I finallllllllly finished Fullmetal Alchemist! Now I understood what's going on in movie version.
Watching this series basically backwards must have been strange for you...now lets hope that the OVAs get licensed here!
Old 11-10-07, 05:50 AM

Just my 2 cents worth! I have watched this series but I think that the 12 Kingdoms is a far better series!

Originally Posted by Knives
Old 11-10-07, 08:25 AM

Not to turn this into the anime discussion thread, but you guys who thought the series was actually good need to check out the manga. The story is 100% done by the creator, not some guys at an animation facility (2nd season was pulled out of Bones' ass). It's not complete yet (16 volumes and counting) but its soooo much better than the anime.
Old 11-10-07, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by shaunbul
Just my 2 cents worth! I have watched this series but I think that the 12 Kingdoms is a far better series!
The first 12 Kingdoms Novel is out also, too bad they are only releasing one per year, it will take 6 more at this rate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.