Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
This only available in your local Borders store (B&M). Here is a bit more of information. It's a re-release of the Ghibli movies repackaged inside an artbox. The artbox is slightly studier than a paper box. The movies include:
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Spirited Away
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Castle in the Sky
Other Information:
  • List Price: $202.99
  • Current Sale Price: $162.39 (20% off list price)
  • Price After Coupon: $142.09 (with 30% off list price coupon) | Coupon: 11/06/07 - 11/12/07
  • UPC: 786936751123
  • BINC: 9211318
Okay, I've been looking to get into anime and wanted to get this set. Anyone know if $142.09 is a good price or can I do better?

Thanks
Old 12-07-07, 09:18 AM

These all street for ~ 20 to 22 bucks. This is a lukewarm deal. Watch for sales and you can cherrypick for less. They're all great movies though!
Old 12-07-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool. Thanks
Old 12-07-07, 09:39 AM

Does anyone know if the following items in the collection has it's cardboard slipcover? Is one side exposed so you can see the spines of the DVDs?

Howl's Moving Castle
Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind
My Neighbor Totoro

Thanks
Old 12-07-07, 10:02 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsun
Does anyone know if the following items in the collection has it's cardboard slipcover? Is one side exposed so you can see the spines of the DVDs?

Howl's Moving Castle
Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind
My Neighbor Totoro

Thanks
First of all, I'm assuming that you are talking about these titles in R1. All 3 of those titles came with slipcovers (the one that you can slide up/down on the DVD keepcase. The slipcover has the exact same artwork as the DVD cover on the keepcase I guess I'm not sure what you mean by one side been exposed so you can see the spind of the DVDs.

The December thread has been started for a while. Please refrain from bumping up the older November thread!
Old 12-07-07, 10:03 AM

EDIT: I just read the post above, me, I will refrain from bumping up this thread. December thread, here I come.

Originally Posted by DVD.guy
Okay, I've been looking to get into anime and wanted to get this set. Anyone know if $142.09 is a good price or can I do better?

Thanks
This is honestly a really *awful* "sale" price if you can even call it that. Although some stores have them selling at just a little over $20 dollars a piece, you most certainly can find them priced at $19.99 a piece. Try heading down to Walmart and maybe Target. No guarantee on pricing.

But at $20.00 a piece x 7 titles = $140.00

If border's pricing of $142.09 omitted a tax charge, then sure give at it go. Otherwise, I'd hesitate.

The Miyazaki titles are actually the only ones I would consider and would be actually worth ordering directly from the Disney Movie Club, because I know they could be difficult to find at $19.99 a piece elsewhere and because Miyazaki titles rarely will ever drop in price at all.

There's a code floating around somewhere whereby you'd be able to get an extra movie for free or something with the Disney Movie Club.