Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Fox $10 Off @ Best Buy Works On The Simpsons & Arrested Development!!!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Fox $10 Off @ Best Buy Works On The Simpsons & Arrested Development!!!

Old 07-18-07, 01:36 PM
  #101  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please post after you try to use it for all three seasons of AD. I myself will be trying 4:30pm ish PDT.
nlyonssmith is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 02:28 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,137
Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
Okay, where can I get the 'original' coupon? I heard that it was in a sample DVD available at the Home Theater section. The idiotic manager said that it wasn't a Best Buy coupon, despite both the Best Buy logo on the cover and the possessive pronoun used in the wording of the coupon. Also said that they couldn't accept a photocopy, which it technically wasn't, but I guess that's a legitimate reason.

Even though they didn't notice, I was trying to use it on Batman: TAS, so maybe that's bad on my part. Ah well...
bluetoast is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 02:49 PM
  #103  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Okay, where can I get the 'original' coupon? I heard that it was in a sample DVD available at the Home Theater section.
It is.

The idiotic manager said that it wasn't a Best Buy coupon, despite both the Best Buy logo on the cover and the possessive pronoun used in the wording of the coupon.
It's not, technically. The top of the coupon clearly says "Manufacturer's Coupon," which should mean that the money's coming out of Fox's pocket rather than Best Buy's.

This also means that they have reason to be sticklers about the coupon... Fox can refuse to reimburse Best Buy for coupons that they accept that violate the terms-- which are probably also the terms of whatever agreement Best Buy has with Fox.
excom101 is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 02:52 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,148
Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Well it went on for quite a few days a month ago in Northern VA. I got a lot of different sets from 3 different Best Buys in that area.
Has anyone tried Pentagon City?

I suspect the NoVa Best Buys have caught wise to our shenanigans. I bought several box sets during the last coupon + sale price glitch, but I haven't tried this time. I still haven't watched what I bought during the last go-round, so I have no real need to add to my unwatched DVD pile right now.

Besides, if this Christmas is anything like last year, sales and cheap DVDs will be thick on the ground.
Gobear is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 02:54 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,137
Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Gobear
Has anyone tried Pentagon City?
My story about the idiotic manager was from Pentagon City. That place has virtually nobody on the sales floor and it took forever to get service. I've been going there less and less since the Potomac Yards one popped up.
bluetoast is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 03:01 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,137
Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by excom101
It is.
Are they still available? The Home Theater guy had no idea what I was talking about.

Originally Posted by excom101
It's not, technically. The top of the coupon clearly says "Manufacturer's Coupon," which should mean that the money's coming out of Fox's pocket rather than Best Buy's.
My mistake then. Looks like somebody already struck that Best Buy... >_>
bluetoast is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 05:15 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,040
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CONFIRMED STILL WORKING AS OF 7/18!! Went to BB in Gresham this afternoon as noted above. Got to the checkout, the girl manually entered the coupon because it wouldn't scan, then scanned the dvd, which registered at $14.99. When she hit sub-total, however, it dropped, which troubled her. I told her that the shelf had shown $14.99 for S1 & S2, but nothing re S3 (which was the truth!) She went to another register and price scanned it, and it showed up at $14.99. She said, "Well, Seasons Three is showing up at $14.99 as well, so I guess you're getting it for $4.99!" Cheerful as could be. Woot!
bwsmom is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 06:15 PM
  #108  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up all sets of AD when they were on sale last month. Spent 30 bucks pre-tax. If only I waited I could have got this deal but the one last month was too good to pass up
Havok83 is offline  
Old 07-18-07, 10:33 PM
  #109  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: foolerton CA
Posts: 390
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picked up season 2 and 3 at NO-buy in fullerton. They were out of season 1. I was truely shocked. I did get shot down on the Die hard set, even though it took 4 people to shot me down with a NO.
Still, i got a half victory at the fullerton No-Buy. Its like christmas in july
smackattack is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 08:00 AM
  #110  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 354
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up Seasons 3-9 of The X-Files yesterday evening at around 6-6:30 PM. The coupons scanned fine. I bought Seasons 3-6 first and the cashier commented on how good of a deal it was. I said that I'd have to come back for more. So I did. I went on the same line, but the other cashier called me over. The cashier there shrugged and scanned the coupon. As I was finishing the transaction another employee took the coupons and looked like they were going to show them to the manager as she had picked them up and was feeling them in her hand to sort of see if they were fake or something. This was at the Scarsdale, NY store and I printed the coupons out on glossy paper.
Spez is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 09:10 AM
  #111  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Are they still available? The Home Theater guy had no idea what I was talking about.
I found a pile... but I'm pretty sure they're things that they are supposed to give people when they set up their HDTV in-home. It appeared that my Best Buy was using them as demo discs on their in-store TV, however. Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head what the outside of the DVD case said. If I make it to Best Buy again soon, I'll let you know.
excom101 is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 09:10 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,912
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smackattack
picked up season 2 and 3 at NO-buy in fullerton. They were out of season 1. I was truely shocked. I did get shot down on the Die hard set, even though it took 4 people to shot me down with a NO.
Still, i got a half victory at the fullerton No-Buy. Its like christmas in july
I sense a touch of hositility toward Best Buy in your post.
Mikael79 is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 09:35 AM
  #113  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 354
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by excom101
I found a pile... but I'm pretty sure they're things that they are supposed to give people when they set up their HDTV in-home. It appeared that my Best Buy was using them as demo discs on their in-store TV, however. Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head what the outside of the DVD case said. If I make it to Best Buy again soon, I'll let you know.
More details of that disc can be found here.
Spez is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 09:43 AM
  #114  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spez
More details of that disc can be found here.
Thanks. That is, in fact, it.
excom101 is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 11:41 AM
  #115  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went yesterday afternoon at 5:30. SUCCESS!!! Picked up season 7 of Simpsons. Cashier took the coupon- reads it closely, and I'm thinking she's going to shoot me down saying that is only good on regular prices. But, she scans it, the register accepted it and she asks me where I got the coupon. I told her about the home theater disc demo and she said that is a really good deal!

All in all, both coupon deals included, I have used a total of 7 coupons and have not been denied yet(knocks on wood).
head dvd nut is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 01:32 PM
  #116  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sugar Grove, IL
Posts: 566
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worked yesterday at about 5:00 in Batavia, IL. I only brought in 2 copies, and got AD 1 and 2. Cashier spent a little time looking at it and I thought she was going to deny it, but then she went ahead and scanned it without a word.

Wish I would have had the cajones to bring in all 4 coupons that I printed out, but hopefully when I return today or tomorrow they will still work.

Awesome deal! Gotta love paying $5.32 for something that has a $32.99 original price tag on it!
berserker37 is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 05:25 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
dollfins1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,308
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picked up season 1 - 9 of x-files today (in one shot). greatest deal ever! i love fox and best buy.
dollfins1 is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 09:56 PM
  #118  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Slightly Off Center...
Posts: 523
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought 3 of "AD" season 1 and 1 of "AD" season 3 {they were out of season 2} with no problem at all...
chard31 is offline  
Old 07-19-07, 10:55 PM
  #119  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well today I decided why not try these coupons for the first times. I copied the coupon into Word and then fit 3 on the page, found my semi-gloss paper and hit print.

Only printed 6 coupons but then noticed that it was hard to read the font and I cut off the bottom one. Well I showed up at the BB in Brookfield and found AD 1,2 and 3 and just walked around until the managers left the cash register area (or so I thought.) I walk up and hand the cashier the coupons and dvds and go can you ring them up separate so these work and she goes I can put them all on one. So she starts telling me what a good show it is and scans everything even my coupon that was missing half the numbers below the barcode. She even read them and didn't catch no doubles or sale price. Then the little coupon screen pops up and she goes "HOLY!! whoa thats one great deal, thats under $5 a season and I just smiled." Back to me thinking the managers left, her name tag said manager, I was in utter shock I didn't get shot down.

On my way home I also stopped at BB in Greenfield. No where near as eventful, got a young cashier who scanned my 3 coupons and 3 seasons of AD automatically. Picked up the second set for a gift for my dad.
rampageric77 is offline  
Old 07-20-07, 06:59 AM
  #120  
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,057
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rampageric77- are you in Wisconsin?
JB7 is offline  
Old 07-20-07, 07:23 AM
  #121  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,679
Received 631 Likes on 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rampageric77
Well today I decided why not try these coupons for the first times. I copied the coupon into Word and then fit 3 on the page, found my semi-gloss paper and hit print.

Only printed 6 coupons but then noticed that it was hard to read the font and I cut off the bottom one. Well I showed up at the BB in Brookfield and found AD 1,2 and 3 and just walked around until the managers left the cash register area (or so I thought.) I walk up and hand the cashier the coupons and dvds and go can you ring them up separate so these work and she goes I can put them all on one. So she starts telling me what a good show it is and scans everything even my coupon that was missing half the numbers below the barcode. She even read them and didn't catch no doubles or sale price. Then the little coupon screen pops up and she goes "HOLY!! whoa thats one great deal, thats under $5 a season and I just smiled." Back to me thinking the managers left, her name tag said manager, I was in utter shock I didn't get shot down.
yep. There are almost as many clueless managers out there as employees.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 07-20-07, 09:35 AM
  #122  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah I am JB7
rampageric77 is offline  
Old 07-20-07, 10:47 AM
  #123  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heads up guys. Had a friend that went into the Fresno store last night to get the AD sets like I did. He went up with the coupons, got rang up, and when the screen showed $10 off for each set the casher started to tell him "Oh I don't think I can do this, I'm going to get into trouble." He asked "Why are you going to get into trouble?", and she stated "Because these are $32 sets that your getting for $4.99, were going to lose a lot of money and I'm going to get into trouble". He told her the sets were on sale and that it was a coupon from Fox but she wouldn't belive him, said she had to get a manager over there because if she went through with it, she was going to get into trouble. So when the manager came over and saw the coupons, he told him he needed to leave the store, that they were kicking people out that had the coupons because they were tring to scam Best Buy with them. My friend said he had this look of shock and told them that if there was a problem why was the coupon still scaning, and why wasn't there a sign up stating that the coupon couldn't be used. The manager said that he needed to leave because he was tring to cause problems and scam Best Buy along with many others with this coupon. He said he started to laugh because they had many sets of AD and X-Files left over, and told them there must be just a ton of people scaming them and losing a ton of money because they had so many of the sets left over. He told me that he told the man that he would never shop in Best Buy again, was going to call or find a way to get ahold of their main offices to compain. As he was telling him this another customer must have heard what was going on, because she came up with 4 X-Files sets with the coupons also, along with some other dvds and cds and told the manager "I must be tring to scam you guys also then." layed down the stuff, and walked out. As she did this so did my friend, telling them that he would never shop in there again. He said that he never got out of line with the manager at all, just questioned why they would kick him out for the coupons. All the manager had to do was say that they couldn't be used at all and he would have been cool with it.

Last edited by DonTHX1378; 07-20-07 at 10:49 AM.
DonTHX1378 is offline  
Old 07-20-07, 11:22 AM
  #124  
Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 165
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worked Friday morning at about 10am scanned in with no problem. This worked out great as I needed to get the 4 episode 24 season 6 disk for a gift which was priced at $9.99. Cashier spent a little time looking at it and I thought she was going to deny it, but then I mentioned that "it should scan properly" and she went ahead and scanned it without a word, receipt printed zero due, she put 24 in the bag and without any $'s spent, I was on my way! Sweeeet. Thanks all.
(and yes I do feel bad about giving someone the beginnings of 24 Season 6 as I know I'm just setting them up for a disappointing remaining 20 or so hours- haha)
Miami Joe is offline  
Old 07-20-07, 01:20 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 7,337
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Heads up guys. Had a friend that went into the Fresno store last night to get the AD sets like I did. He went up with the coupons, got rang up, and when the screen showed $10 off for each set the casher started to tell him "Oh I don't think I can do this, I'm going to get into trouble." He asked "Why are you going to get into trouble?", and she stated "Because these are $32 sets that your getting for $4.99, were going to lose a lot of money and I'm going to get into trouble". He told her the sets were on sale and that it was a coupon from Fox but she wouldn't belive him, said she had to get a manager over there because if she went through with it, she was going to get into trouble. So when the manager came over and saw the coupons, he told him he needed to leave the store, that they were kicking people out that had the coupons because they were tring to scam Best Buy with them. My friend said he had this look of shock and told them that if there was a problem why was the coupon still scaning, and why wasn't there a sign up stating that the coupon couldn't be used. The manager said that he needed to leave because he was tring to cause problems and scam Best Buy along with many others with this coupon. He said he started to laugh because they had many sets of AD and X-Files left over, and told them there must be just a ton of people scaming them and losing a ton of money because they had so many of the sets left over. He told me that he told the man that he would never shop in Best Buy again, was going to call or find a way to get ahold of their main offices to compain. As he was telling him this another customer must have heard what was going on, because she came up with 4 X-Files sets with the coupons also, along with some other dvds and cds and told the manager "I must be tring to scam you guys also then." layed down the stuff, and walked out. As she did this so did my friend, telling them that he would never shop in there again. He said that he never got out of line with the manager at all, just questioned why they would kick him out for the coupons. All the manager had to do was say that they couldn't be used at all and he would have been cool with it.
The ironic thing being that your friend was trying to "scam" Best Buy.

Peep is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.