Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Fox $10 Off @ Best Buy Works On The Simpsons & Arrested Development!!!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Fox $10 Off @ Best Buy Works On The Simpsons & Arrested Development!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 10:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Exactly. Always gotta have one abuser.

At any rate I picked up one of each season of AD. Worked like a charm. Cashier even put them all in one transaction. Thanks OP.

Um.... so you don't consider making 3 illegal copies of a coupon (when it says no photocopies allowed) and using them to buy 3 sale items (when it says it's not good on sale items) AND using them all in the same transaction (when it says only one per transaction) abuse?

Old 07-18-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
Oh God - Give me a fucking break!
If you were making a quick buck and not hurting anything, I don't think anyone would have a problem. But you're not only taking these sets out of the hands of people who want to watch the DVDs and get the sale price, but you're also raising Best Buy's awareness of the fact that we're using the coupon when it probably shouldn't be accepted. Going in and buying an unusual amount of copies with a printed out coupon is likely going to open some eyes at Best Buy.

I'm not really playing moral police, I'm just saying "don't mess it up for the rest of us!"
Old 07-18-07, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Um.... so you don't consider making 3 illegal copies of a coupon (when it says no photocopies allowed) and using them to buy 3 sale items (when it says it's not good on sale items) AND using them all in the same transaction (when it says only one per transaction) abuse?

No, it's obviously not abuse. Though it may say no copies on the coupon, if copies are able to be scanned and an employee accepts them with no fuss, how exactly is anyone being tricked? We haven't hacked the Best Buy computer system, we haven't made idiots of the cashiers. What we've done is simply take advantage of a great coupon available to us. I don't understand how that can be considered abuse, when like I said it scans in the Best Buy computer system. If an employee read the conditions and declined, then I would not blame them absolutely in the slightest. But when all parties are satisfied with the situation, I don't believe that can be classified as abuse.
Old 07-18-07, 10:37 AM

Theft by deception Jgh8x - stop rationalizing. And i WAS being greedy. I wouldn't try to purchase more than 3 items w/ coupons at a time. Though if i find a friendly cashier I'd def. mention that i was going to pick up a couple more and specifically return to her - which i've done in the past.
Old 07-18-07, 10:46 AM

Theft by deception Jgh8x - stop rationalizing.

Right, because I forgot how rationalizing situations is the wrong thing to do.

Secondly, there is no THEFT going on. No one created a coupon that magically scans in Best Buy's computer system. This is a coupon that was CREATED AND DISTRIBUTED by Best Buy. A coupon that WORKS IN THEIR COMPUTER SYSTEM. I had a cashier FAMILIAR WITH THE COUPON who rang up my transaction. I just can't fathom some peoples self-deception that they are somehow taking a moral high ground by not taking advantage of a PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE coupon that BEST BUY has CREATED.

A bargain shopper does not a thief make.
Old 07-18-07, 10:49 AM

Dude - NO PHOTOCOPIES accepted. NOT VALID ON SALE merchandise. You're KNOWINGLY presenting a FAKE coupon with the intention of DEFRAUDING Best Buy. Get over it! It is what it is.
Old 07-18-07, 10:52 AM

I used the coupon last night to pick up Simpson's Season 5, which I had missed along the way, and it scanned with no problems.

This morning I went back to pick up Season 8, and the coupon wouldn't scan or work. Luckily the cashier manually overrode something and entered a generic 10 dollars off, and also for some reason slapped the 10 dollards off on the Batman Beyond Season 3 I was picking up. Either she was feeling generous, or she was flustered by the fact that I spent most of our transaction staring at her spectacular cleavage.

At any rate, at least at the Eau Claire, Wisconsin BB, the coupon has ceased to work since Tuesday night.
Old 07-18-07, 10:56 AM

Oh! Sounds like the deal might be dead?
Can anyone else confirm the coupon working as of this morning??
Old 07-18-07, 11:00 AM

I suppose technically the copy I brought this morning might have had some imperfection that prevented the barcode from scanning that the one the night before didn't. However, I printed both at the same time on the same printer. I didn't really notice if she tried to manually enter the sku number as I was distracted by her cleavage. However, I'm assuming she did.
Old 07-18-07, 11:05 AM

Cmon Rusty, people can buy as many dvd sets as they want but buying 6 copies of the same set is just idiotic and sets off bells and alarms thereby creating a great chance that this deal gets killed yet again. Buying 6 at a time is done specifically for the purpose of reselling them on the retail market(ebay) but this is NOT a forum for retailers, it is a forum for guys into the hobby of purchasing dvd's and watching them when time permits.
Old 07-18-07, 11:09 AM

Though reselling sounds like a good idea - I don't think the profit on these sets would be worth it. Maybe if i had an inventory of like 20 or something but that's far too much hassle / work esp. considering the YMMV nature of the deal.
I was picking up Arrested Development to use as gifts as gift-giving events arise. (graduation, house-warming, birthday, etc.) I dig the show and i'm into getting other people into shit i dig. But you're right. SIX at a single time is a bit much. I admited that. I've set a limit of 3 on future transactions...
Old 07-18-07, 11:10 AM

I've had various luck having my coupons scanned. Though when they were manually entered the correct discount came up and no manager was needed. Son-Volt - can you confirm that a manager was indeed needed to apply the coupon?
Old 07-18-07, 11:14 AM

No manager was needed. She tried scanning it, did something on the register, tried scanning again, did somethign else, tried scanning again, and then popped something up where she manually entered $10.00. Whatever she entered took ten dollars off my $19.99 Simpsons set AND my 14.99 Batman Beyond set. She also gave the scanned coupon back to me when she was done. She was a trainee according to her badge.
Old 07-18-07, 11:18 AM

Awesome! So the deal lives on...!
Has anyone found any Simpsons seasons, other than 9, with the movie cash?
Old 07-18-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was picking up Arrested Development to use as gifts as gift-giving events arise. (graduation, house-warming, birthday, etc.) I dig the show and i'm into getting other people into shit i dig. But you're right. SIX at a single time is a bit much. I admited that. I've set a limit of 3 on future transactions...
My apologies for jumping to an incorrect conclusion.
Old 07-18-07, 11:25 AM

I don't know if it is still working this morning or not; but, I went into the Wilmington,NC store last night and purchased Simpsons S.5. Cashier scanned the coupon with no problems!! She even commented on what a great deal it was. I might try to go back after I get of work and try with the last coupon that I have. Hopefully, the same cashier will be there!!

If you remember from the previous coupon deal, it seems to scan better if you print it on a soft glossy photo paper!!(looks more realistic, too)
Old 07-18-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brocklanders
Cmon Rusty, people can buy as many dvd sets as they want but buying 6 copies of the same set is just idiotic and sets off bells and alarms thereby creating a great chance that this deal gets killed yet again. Buying 6 at a time is done specifically for the purpose of reselling them on the retail market(ebay) but this is NOT a forum for retailers, it is a forum for guys into the hobby of purchasing dvd's and watching them when time permits.
For every one person like Rusty who posts what he did, there's 10-20 more people who did the same thing, but didn't post it. Stop beating on the guy! And I'm glad you have a handle on exactly who this forum was created for

I think buying six copies of the same set is just as bad as other people who buy 6 different sets with 6 COPIES of the same coupon. Hell, when the first BB sale on these sets came out a few eeks back, I think there was a person that bought 15 different sets at once. You don't think that raises some eyebrows?!?!?

The coupon was handed out as part of a Home Theater flyer. It says right on it no copies, and not good on sale items. Everyone here knows that, it's been mentioned many times. I'm not saying that it's wrong to use the coupon (I've used it a few times myself, a few weeks back). If it works great! I just think some people need to get off their soapbox.
Old 07-18-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
I now have the complete X-Files for only $89.91!
I bought all of them individually when they first came out for more than that for every season

Though if i find a friendly cashier I'd def. mention that i was going to pick up a couple more and specifically return to her.
I find male cashiers care less and are better for coupon situations (the younger the better).

Last edited by SterlingBen; 07-18-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 12:34 PM

Awesome! So the deal lives on...!
Has anyone found any Simpsons seasons, other than 9, with the movie cash?

So far I've checked a few stores and no one has anything other than Season 9 with the movie cash.

When you look online it says that all of the early seasons with the movie cash are "not available instore".
Old 07-18-07, 12:36 PM

Yesterday bought seasons 5-8 of X-files on one order no problem. I plan on going back tomorrow and picking up season 9 with Arrested Development season 3. So far the closest thing to a problem has been a douchebag cashier who wouldn't allow me to use more than one coupon but said it would be alright if i came back at another time when he wasn't there, but overall I don't think many people are using it in the Cleveland area as most cashiers are seeing it for the first time.
Old 07-18-07, 12:38 PM

I think the Northern, VA Best Buys are high-traffic and might react fast to this sort of thing - people taking advantage, etc. Both the Fair Lakes, VA and Reston, VA were very much aware of these photocopied coupons (they told me as much).

Last edited by RustyOrgan; 07-18-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
I think the Northern, VA Best Buys are high-traffic and might react fast to this sort of thing - people taking advantage, etc. Both the Fair Lakes, VA and Reston, VA were very much aware of these photocopied coupons (they told me as much).

Well it went on for quite a few days a month ago in Northern VA. I got a lot of different sets from 3 different Best Buys in that area.
Old 07-18-07, 12:46 PM

I think that after that last FOX coupon affair these locations decided to check future coupons more closely..
Old 07-18-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, can anyone confirm that it's still working today? I see a lot of folks posting about yesterday's/last night's purchases, but none that have used it this morning. I need to pick up AD:S3, but only if I can still get it at $4.99, as I did yesterday with S2.
Old 07-18-07, 01:29 PM

As far as I can tell it's still working though people have been refused at the checkout..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.