Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 12:37 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by blucadet3
Yeah too bad its all bootleg bullshit...and I have a feeling this new member runs the site. Hey whats your address so I can have the fbi come check out this awesome sale!
It looks like Google Checkout has listed a bootleg store as one of the "Places to Shop!" You would think that Google wouldn't stoop this low!
Old 09-30-06, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escaflowne and Those Who Hunt Elves are tempting. Seeing Steel Angel Kurumi on there makes me depressed because I do believe Best Buy had it for $25 at one point. Where were you back then with your kiosk knowledge WTK! =P Glad I was able to pick up Yu Yu Hakusho DTBS2 before they took it off though. The Best Buy kiosk thing is still the coolest thing ever. I'd like to thank you again WTK! I got to enjoy Excel Saga. ^.^

Never had any experience with DiscountAnimeDVD, but it does look like they sell R1 singles. Obviously you can tell things like Bleach and other "new import arrivals" are bootlegs, but do they sell R1 things as well?

Last edited by Ndolger; 09-30-06 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-30-06, 12:56 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Ndolger
Escaflowne and Those Who Hunt Elves are tempting. Seeing Steel Angel Kurumi on there makes me depressed because I do believe Best Buy had it for $25 at one point. Where were you back then with your kiosk knowledge WTK! =P Glad I was able to pick up Yu Yu Hakusho DTBS2 before they took it off though. The Best Buy kiosk thing is still the coolest thing ever. I'd like to thank you again WTK! I got to enjoy Excel Saga. ^.^
I'm glad that you found all this helpful! I initially didn't think the BB kiosk was that big of a deal, I thought people here knew about it! I learned about the kiosk earlier this year because an employee had told me to order an OOS anime on their kiosk (BestBuy.com) and not drive around wasting gas!
Old 09-30-06, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by qtwerp
I read that. I've never had a problem with them personally, but then again I don't order from them much. Not all that much there (that I'm interested in anyway) that can't be had for less at a TRSI sale or on Amazon. For this particular sale and for the particular problem the OP had, I don't disagree with RACS response. You're buying clearance items with a no return policy. It's not like an ADV sale where they intentionally destroy your cases...
It was my first time ordering from them. I read all the stuff about the sale and prepared myself for the worst.. The items were extremely well packed with a huge box and lots of packing peanuts.. The Stelliva tin and Armitage lunch box came in mint condition.. Heat Guy J was ok with a minor dent..

My X boxset 2, Sol Bianca and El Hazard had alot of shelf wear.. I wonder if what they were liquidating was old store stock returns?

Can't really complain about the single DVDs, though, a few of my Tenchi Universe DVD has knife slash marked running along the edges..

Got a couple of surprise.. ROD V1 had a pencil board and 2/8 Tenchi Universe had the finger puppets (v 5 and 8).. Anyone else get the puppets on white sheets?
Thanks
Old 09-30-06, 08:38 AM

Does anyone know anything about JP Stock on google checkout? It looks like that have some really nice prices on some stuff I'm looking for although shipping is kinda high
Old 09-30-06, 10:06 AM

Yeah too bad its all bootleg bullshit...and I have a feeling this new member runs the site. Hey whats your address so I can have the fbi come check out this awesome sale!
Hey I just came across the site, I'm new to the whole anime dvd thing, so start thinking before you start flapping your trap
Old 09-30-06, 11:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mlkey72
Hey I just came across the site, I'm new to the whole anime dvd thing, so start thinking before you start flapping your trap
It's alright. We've all made the same mistakes in the past, it's how we all learn.

The best online retailers i'd recommend using are:

Dvd Pacific (lowest prices & excellent customer service)
DeepDiscountDdvd (low prices & free shipping)
Rightsuf (more expensive but have excellent sales & great customer service)

Also recommend using dvdpricesearch for finding the cheapest prices on the web.
Old 09-30-06, 01:10 PM

LOL!!!

Sorry man...its still funny. No american company is going to release a whole 26 episode series on 3 disks and you will never find chinese subtitles on japanese anime...well almost never. I'm sure some uber-otaku could name one just to make me look ignorant.
Old 09-30-06, 01:54 PM
Cool New Member

I'm curious can anyone tell me why trinity blood's LE box is OOP right after coming out?
Old 09-30-06, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by mato45
I'm curious can anyone tell me why trinity blood's LE box is OOP right after coming out?
Well, it's an actual "limited edition" - I think RACS has a note on their page that only 15,000 were printed (seems like a lot to me for an anime box, however it's absolutely gorgeous).

I've heard Funi say over and over again that their LE's are intended to be "limited" not something you can find years later /shrug.
Old 09-30-06, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
I think you have that backwards - when there is a "no returns" policy they had better damn well not be selling defective merchandise. It doesn't matter if the price is just a single penny, and it doesn't matter if the defacement was intentional or not, if it is not disclosed as being defaced product ahead of time, and they won't take it back, then they are acting fraudulently.
I guess so. It might have just been easier for them to not list as coming with box and have it be an extra like those people that get the LE items, instead of getting the bad rep for this. It's always nice to have a good CC company that will do chargebacks for you. It gives just a little protection against companies that don't like to enforce their policies when it's not in their interest...

BTW, just got in my TRSI order today and am very pleased. Box was well soaked but the DVDs were fine. Not the best packaging this time as top and bottom DVDs are not protected by anything above or below them. No LE items for the order either, but all Last Exile singles for 35$ shipped? can't beat that! =D
Old 09-30-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by qtwerp
I guess so. It might have just been easier for them to not list as coming with box and have it be an extra like those people that get the LE items, instead of getting the bad rep for this. It's always nice to have a good CC company that will do chargebacks for you. It gives just a little protection against companies that don't like to enforce their policies when it's not in their interest...

BTW, just got in my TRSI order today and am very pleased. Box was well soaked but the DVDs were fine. Not the best packaging this time as top and bottom DVDs are not protected by anything above or below them. No LE items for the order either, but all Last Exile singles for 35$ shipped? can't beat that! =D
Last Exile is such a fantastic show. Definitely one of my favorites.
Old 09-30-06, 11:02 PM

LOL!!!

Sorry man...its still funny. No american company is going to release a whole 26 episode series on 3 disks and you will never find chinese subtitles on japanese anime...well almost never. I'm sure some uber-otaku could name one just to make me look ignorant.
There are a couple of legitimate DVD sets with 26 episodes on 3 discs, but with one major catch, that being that the episodes are half-length. Galaxy Angel A and Shrine of the Morning Mist are a couple of examples. There are definitely no legitimate 3-disc sets with 26 full length episodes, though.
Originally Posted by WTK
SkyDog, please update the Best Buy table whenever you get a chance! Thanks!
I'll work on it tomorrow afternoon. Got to get to bed right now.

P.S. Got 126 out of my first 150 so far, with 23 more en route (no Trigun 6 yet) and my last order of 25 is processing.
Old 10-01-06, 02:04 AM

Saw Grenadier Premium DVD Collection on sale for $24.99 at my local Suncoast today. Not bad considering rightstuf has it for $71.96.
Old 10-01-06, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by toogood
Saw Grenadier Premium DVD Collection on sale for $24.99 at my local Suncoast today. Not bad considering rightstuf has it for $71.96.
I do notice that DDD has a "Economy pack" listed for $25 as well (not out until January, though) -- not sure what the difference is between that and the premium collection: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MBI007027
Old 10-01-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimTucker
I do notice that DDD has a "Economy pack" listed for $25 as well (not out until January, though) -- not sure what the difference is between that and the premium collection: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=MBI007027

hmmm this will be SOO much better than buying the $50 complete collection thinpak..SWEET!
Old 10-01-06, 11:42 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by TimTucker
I do notice that DDD has a "Economy pack" listed for $25 as well (not out until January, though) -- not sure what the difference is between that and the premium collection: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=MBI007027
Good find! It's strange that this box set hasn't been solicitated in AOD or ANN!

Media Blasters has been releasing these "Economy Pack" sometime after the Premium sets has been released! The Economy Pack has been known for including individual volumes in keepcases with same covers as the premium sets, but with paper thin outer box instead! I don't believe there will be any difference in terms of the DVDs, but the box will be pretty much paper thin!
Old 10-06-06, 07:11 AM

40% off Boxsets at www.animenation.com
Link
Old 10-06-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by teshdor
40% off Boxsets at www.animenation.com
Link
Thanks for the post, but this should go in the October thread-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=479312 .