Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, I placed an order on the first day, and it still hasn't shipped.
Old 09-27-06, 04:19 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Just placed my 7th (and hopefully final) order:

Haibane Renmei 1-4
Ikki-Tousen 1-4
Jubei Chan 2 1-4
Lain, Serial Experiments 1-4
Locker (Live Action Movie)
Master Keaton 1-8

I already ordered copies of Lain and Haibane for myself, so these sets are gifts. I was hoping they might add some more titles on Tuesday, but it looks like they're done.
Old 09-27-06, 11:25 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Post #3 is Updated!

UPCOMING RELEASES OF INTERESTS IS UPDATED!
- Magic Knight Rayearth - World of DVD Box Set (Hyb)
Release Date: 12/5/06
- E's Otherwise Complete DVD Collection (Hyb) (Thinpak)
Release Date: 12/12/06
- Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU Complete DVD Collection (Hyb) (Thinpak)
Release Date: 12/12/06

==============================================================================

Shawne Kleckner has posted @ AOD: "Sometimes I like to double my fun."
It sounds like there maybe another sale brewing up in the near future!

My Guess: Bandai Entertainment

==============================================================================

Reminder:
The next FREE issue of Animerica Magazine should be available at your local Best Buy store on October 3rd.

Last edited by WTK; 09-28-06 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 08:53 AM

No. Just no. I need time to recuperate. If there was a similar Bandai sale, it wouldn't be *so* bad seeing I have quite a few holes I'd like to fill. But, imagine if it was a FUNimation sale... I don't have anything from FUNimation! That would be really, really bad...

Of course like others suggested on AOD it could be 20 for $50 and 50 for $100 to clear out the rest of the stock. This would really anger me considering I could of bought $2 discs. But, there's no way that could happen...right?
Old 09-28-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK

Shawne Kleckner has posted @ AOD: "Sometimes I like to double my fun."
It sounds like there maybe another sale brewing up in the near future!

My Guess: Bandai Entertainment
Definitely a Bandai studio sale. There's a link(Sky-Surf Items) that takes you to a list of all things Bandai. Shawne hasn't posted what the sale is as of yet.
Old 09-28-06, 09:53 AM

My wallet is already sore but if he does this again with another company, it'll be writhing in pain for a bit ><

Of course, if it does happen....I will have to buy some more shelves too lol.
Old 09-28-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kikaroo
My wallet is already sore but if he does this again with another company, it'll be writhing in pain for a bit ><

Of course, if it does happen....I will have to buy some more shelves too lol.
There's no way that the Bandai sale will be like the Geneon. The list contains new items and even some pre-orders(My-HiME Volume 5). My guess would be 40% off of list price.
Old 09-28-06, 10:48 AM

Now up on TRSI:

Sky-surf Into Savings!

Hang ten! Here's an offer that really soared out of the blue! Enjoy big savings on Bandai titles! Whether you're looking for classics like Cowboy Bebop or upcoming pre-orders like My-Hime, you'll be riding on a wave of savings!

From now until October 8th, 2006 - get at least 40% OFF Retail price on all Bandai DVDs and 33% OFF on all CDs and Graphic Novels! *Certain restrictions apply, see bottom of the Right Stuf main page for details.

How? Just use the following reusable coupon code when you check out through our online store:

Coupon Code: skysurf
Expires: 10/08/06 at 11:59 P.M. CST

Plus, if you're a Got Anime Member, you'll be pleased to find that your discount stacks!

Not sure what products are included in the sale? We've made it especially simple, just click on the small graphic reading "Sky-Surf Items", located on the right-hand side of our main page and you'll be able to page through the item listings with ease!
Old 09-28-06, 11:03 AM

Got this a few days ago from ADV:
New ADV Anime Download Store! Get free Guyver if sign up now!
Register NOW to get the first episode of GUYVER FREE!!
After you register, click on the yellow bar at the top of the homepage & follow instructions!
Guyver - Episode 1 - AWA Promo
Meet the new face of Ultraviolence!

This item is free - simply check out with this item only in your shopping cart and you will be issued a playback key with no credit card required!
"The Wondrous Bio-Boosted Armor"

Sho Fukamachi and Tetsuro Segawa are students at the local high school. Just normal guys, trying to get through normal life. But something evil is lurking. A strange box, propelled by an intense explosion, comes to a stop near Sho and Tetsuro, who happen to be hanging out in the forest. Sho finds out what is in the box… the hard way. Witness the transformation into what will be known as Guyver, and what effect it has on Sho’s life, his friends, and more importantly, the people who lost that mysterious box.
The videos offered from http://www.advuniverse.com/ are all copy protected. They work with up to 3 Windows machines (IOW: no Mac,Linux,burn to DVD,etc).

From the FAQ:
Is the file encrypted in some way that it can only be watched on the PC it’s downloaded to?
It is encrypted with Windows Media 10 DRM. (It will play in "Plays for Sure" devices, i.e. Windows Media Player 10 and 11.) This means that you will only be able to play the file in a computer that is “associated” with your customer account. You designate which device(s) you want “associated” with your download. You will have a limit of 3 “associations”.
Old 09-28-06, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Just placed my 7th (and hopefully final) order:

Haibane Renmei 1-4
Ikki-Tousen 1-4
Jubei Chan 2 1-4
Lain, Serial Experiments 1-4
Locker (Live Action Movie)
Master Keaton 1-8

I already ordered copies of Lain and Haibane for myself, so these sets are gifts. I was hoping they might add some more titles on Tuesday, but it looks like they're done.
Darn, and I thought my lead was going to hold. I've been stuck on 7 since just after the additional sale items were added (although I did get the Mahoromatic CD/DVD bundle as well). I've been eyeing the inventory on the AYA Enishi limited editions and those look like they may last until the end, and I've been contemplating adding a few CDs and stuff to get one last 10-item order. Not enough really interests me to get another full 25 item order, though, unless they add a few more titles to close out the sale. Anyone interested in splitting a 25 item order?

Last edited by SkyDog; 09-28-06 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 12:35 PM

I've never been so glad to see another useless 40% sale. Hooray! My monies are still alive!

Well, after looking over the list, Please Twins and Banner of the Stars for $21.60 isn't so bad. I do need to pick up some ADV singles as well, but...

Last edited by Ndolger; 09-28-06 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by qtwerp
Got this a few days ago from ADV:

Guyver - Episode 1 - AWA Promo

The videos offered from http://www.advuniverse.com/ are all copy protected. They work with up to 3 Windows machines (IOW: no Mac,Linux,burn to DVD,etc).

From the FAQ:
Updated. Maybe this part can go under free stuff in post #3?
Old 09-28-06, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
That's what I was thinking, but that's up to WTK
Old 09-28-06, 04:20 PM
WTK

Right Stuf Weekly Specials!

Ongoing Bundle Specials!
- Cardcaptor Sakura DVD Mega Bundle (DVD 1-18) (S): $79.99 (In Stock & Available!)
- Licensed by Royalty (L/R) DVD Bundle (1-4) + Audio CD Prepack: $34.99 (Quantity Remaining: 207)
- Read or Die (R.O.D.) TV Series DVD MegaBundle (Hyb) w/CDs: $79.99 (Quantity Remaining: 161)
- Saber Marionette J - Ultimate Collection DVD Set (Hyb) (LE): $69.99 (Quantity Remaining: 68)
- Tenchi Muyo: Tenchi in Tokyo DVD Bundle Pack (1-8) (Hyb): $59.99 (Quantity Remaining: 91)

Other Specials!
- Aquarian Age: The Movie DVD (Hyb) (Limited Edition): $21.99
- Assemble Insert DVD (Hyb): $3.99
- Boys Be... DVD 1 (Hyb): Spring + Artbox: $14.99
- Case Closed (Detective Conan): Case 1/Case 4 DVD Starter Set (Hyb): $23.99
- Chobits: Talking Sumomo Action Figure (7.5 in.): $15.99
- Gantz Season 2 DVD Box Set (Hyb): $39.99
- Genshiken DVD Premium Collection (Hyb): $48.99
- Gilgamesh DVD 1 (Hyb) + Artbox: $9.99
- Iria: Zeiram the Animation Collection DVD (Hyb): $23.99
- Macross, Super Dimension Fortress DVD 1 (Hyb) + Artbox: $9.99
- Now and Then, Here and There DVD Box Set (1-3 + extras DVD) (Hyb): $20.99
- RahXephon Complete Collection DVD (Hyb) (Thinpak): $48.99
- Robotech Protoculture Collection DVD MegaSet (D): $77.99
- Rurouni Kenshin DVD Economy Box Season 1 (Hyb): $47.99
- Samurai Deeper Kyo TV Series Season 1 DVD Box Set (Hyb): $48.99
- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars DVD 1 (Hyb) + Artbox + Tshirt: $12.99
- Speed Grapher DVD 2 (Hyb) Limited Edition: $19.99
- Strawberry Marshmallow DVD 1 (Hyb): Cute is as Cute Does: $14.99
- Street Fighter II TV Series DVD Box Set 1-4 (Hyb): $19.99
- Tactics DVD 1 (Hyb): $12.99
- Tenjho Tenge DVD 4 (Hyb): $14.99
- Tylor, Irresponsible Captain OVA Limited Edition Ultra DVD Box Set (Hyb): $41.99
- Ultra Maniac DVD 3 (Hyb): Magical Stone: $14.99
- Yugo the Negotiator DVD 1 (Hyb): Pakistan: Departure: $3.99

Last edited by WTK; 09-28-06 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 04:28 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Originally Posted by qtwerp
That's what I was thinking, but that's up to WTK
I got it updated on Post #3!
Old 09-28-06, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
I got it updated on Post #3!
gtwerp thanks you and so do I

On this new Bandai sale, I'm quite pleased that it's only 40%. My wallet couldn't have survived another Bountiful Bargains type sale, especially of it's Bandai. Still, I might have to pick up some cheap COTS,BOTS,GA,E7,... *sigh*
Old 09-28-06, 06:07 PM

Bandai studio sale!

Originally Posted by Ndolger
I've never been so glad to see another useless 40% sale. Hooray! My monies are still alive!
I've never been so glad to see another WONDERFUL! 40% sale. Since when has money been an issue for a diehard collector?

This will be the first time I've been able to place an order from RightStuf since the last studio Geneon sale back in July. Lots of Bandai releases have been accumulating in my wishlist - Fantastic Children V3-6, My HiME V4-5, Please Onegai Twins Complete Collection, plus the Sister Princess (thinpack) is a $29.99 weekly special. Thank the Dark Lord for catalog+preorder 40% sales.
Old 09-28-06, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't call myself a die-hard collector. I'm more like a hyena waiting to collect the scraps after a series has been dead for a few years. There's really nothing you can't get with this Bandai sale that you can't get at DDD with their 20% off sale. And even if you can't, *eventually* you can find this stuff cheaper. I'm in no hurry to buy more stuff. I have like 37 complete series to watch.
Old 09-28-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm happy with the 40% off Bandai sale. The discount brings the price down to DDD's everyday price. You can then take another 10% off with your Got Anime discount. I know that you can get 20% off during the DDD sale, but I would rather pay the extra 10% for the better packaging and customer service that RS provides. I'm probably going to drop close to $300 on this sale. I think that I need an intervention from a loved one(there really should be a 12 step program for animeholics).
Old 09-28-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I like supporting TRSI, I think they've done a lot for the industry. Plus their catalog is excellent.
But yeah, I'm more toward the hyena end than the rabid addict though. I did buy Excel Saga 1 on release, SUncoast had it for 16.99 for some reason. But after a heavy bout with Ebay and VHS anime in the mid 90's, I've been mostly renting or waiting for sales. 25 bucks a disk is a little pricey for me for 4, 6, 8, 16 disk series.
None of my sale stuff has shipped either; it all says either "reserved for your order", "order recieved", or "on order from manufacturer".
Old 09-28-06, 08:49 PM

Oh, sure TRSI really is great, no question; great response time, free shipping, excellent packaging, but the only reason I buy anything from them is because of their Bargain Bin and Weekly Specials. Their normal prices are just too high. For people who like to pre-order and have a member discount kudos to them; probably the cheapest you're going to get pre-orders for awhile. I just can't justify paying $25+ for a little over an hour of entertainment.
Old 09-28-06, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ndolger
I wouldn't call myself a die-hard collector. I'm more like a hyena waiting to collect the scraps after a series has been dead for a few years.
Perhaps you reach a point in life where time is worth at least as much as money. I used to wait forever on purchases, trying to achieve minimum expense for maximum gain. Then I realized I was missing out on some series that were going OOP while I waited for the ultimate deal. Take Sister Princess, for example. I bought volumes 1-2 for $7 each direct from ADV. I stood firm on that price and waited for the remaining 5 volumes to reach the same level. DDD excluded ADV from their next sale. ADV never went lower than $10/volume. TRSI's $30 special on the thinpack collection is a deal-maker for me. It's not worth taking a chance that I'll find a better deal on the singles if I hold out longer. I'd rather pay a few dollars more than never know how the series ends.
There's really nothing you can't get with this Bandai sale that you can't get at DDD with their 20% off sale. And even if you can't, *eventually* you can find this stuff cheaper. I'm in no hurry to buy more stuff. I have like 37 complete series to watch.
But if you have 37 complete series on your backlog, you're more squirrel than hyena.

Last edited by perigee; 09-28-06 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 10:58 PM

Well, the Geneon sale added 22 series to my backlog. I *was* actually making progress. But, I don't mind being called a squirrel.

It's sort of implied that if you collect singles, you're going to be paying more to complete a series. There just aren't too many deals for singles; which is why this Geneon sale was so great. You can find deals on complete collections all the time (BuyRite, Best Buy, DDD, etc.). So, waiting for singles to find cheap doesn't always work out (unless you get lucky at DG or BL!).
Old 09-28-06, 11:46 PM

I finally had my first Geneon order ship today (placed on 9/11). The other 3 are still in various states of processing/reserved/on order/whatever.

I'm thrilled with the Bandai sale - I've been wanting to start pre-ordering stuff so this is a good sale to start out for me (only a few series to get going, very few fill-ins to grab). I've always picked up my anime locally but my all my local Best Buys are irritating me with their selections lately and both of our Fry's are too far away for a weekly trip. And I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with TRSI so I don't mind forking over my normal Best Buy moola to them ^_~

Of course my husband comment that maybe I should just pretend I didn't see this sale, after the Geneon one ^_^; But I think we both know that won't happen.... Maybe I need that 12 step program too!

I figure I'll count my backlog once all my stuff from this month arrives. It was close to 275 discs before this sale and I picked up ~100 I think total. And I'm due for another Best Buy run soon (it's been...wow a month lol).

Now to find time to watch them all....
Old 09-29-06, 10:03 AM
WTK

$10 Purchase off $30+ @ CDUniverse with Google Checkout

Here are some possible $30+ titles:
$2.99 S/H Charged for Single Disc Items!

- Basilisk - Vol. 1 (LE): Scrolls of Blood: $30.19 + $2.99 - $10 = $23.18
- Trinity Blood - Vol. 1 (LE): $30.60 + $2.99 - $10 = $23.59

Last edited by WTK; 09-29-06 at 11:32 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.