Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd and final order:

7 * Last Exile
5 * Ai Yori Aoshi
4 * Mermaid Forest
4 * Tenchi Muyo
3 * Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi
3 * Someday's Dreamers

But... horror of horrors! The total was 26 DVDs, and no way to get rid of any of them without breaking a set!

Being the cool customer I am, I decided to check the weekly specials. Sure enough, there was a $10 Ai Yori Aoshi DVD/CD Combo Box Pack, which let me take the non-combo one off the coupon. Total damage: $110 or so for 26 DVDs, For about $4.23 per.

But who am I kidding? I'm never going to watch all of these; it's just more stuff to hide in the unlikelier-by-the-order chance an actual, non-anime girl ever drops by.
Old 09-22-06, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by eldad9
But who am I kidding? I'm never going to watch all of these; it's just more stuff to hide in the unlikelier-by-the-order chance an actual, non-anime girl ever drops by.
Perhaps it's just me but most of the people I personally know that like anime are females, including myself. Not all certainly, but the outnumber the males. Of course we're slightly older than the typical anime fan it seems these days but hey - you might find a girl actually interested in your collection, someday ^_~
Old 09-22-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Updated. How on earth do you guys afford paying for 5-7 orders? That's crazy. I just can't fathom it!
Go to college. Get a decent job.
Marry someone who did the same.
Don't have kids.

A couple of hundred bucks on DVDs is a drop in the bucket under those circumstances.

PS to some of the others - no one pays FOR something with a credit card, they pay WITH it, but the FOR part requires actual money.
Old 09-22-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
My wife's not into anime, I've even started watching dubbed in case that was the problem.
For me, the issue isn't so much the money, it's the *time*-- those of who are buying 3, 4, 5, 6 orders, while admittedly they're great prices, how can you watch all of those? Or are you just 'collecting'? That's the one "bad" thing about TV on DVD and anime on DVD--one season or one boxset purchase is 200-1000 minutes of viewing time.
Old 09-22-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eldad9

But... horror of horrors! The total was 26 DVDs, and no way to get rid of any of them without breaking a set!

Being the cool customer I am, I decided to check the weekly specials. Sure enough, there was a $10 Ai Yori Aoshi DVD/CD Combo Box Pack, which let me take the non-combo one off the coupon. Total damage: $110 or so for 26 DVDs, For about $4.23 per.
You need to read this thread more carefully. I mentioned this strategy in post #316. As far as soundtracks go, it's a pretty good one(I've always liked Yoko Ishida).
Old 09-22-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought you couldn't order non-deal stuff in the same order?

Originally Posted by WTK

FYI, Geneon's DVD release of Hayao Miyazaki's 1984 Sherlock Hound series will go out of print October 31st. For those who are interested, better order
them before the sale ends on October 1st!
I want to know why Case Files 2 sold out so quick..that's the one I couldn't get .
I guess it's not a huge deal, there's probably not a huge ongoing story arc, but I have having one missing volume. Same thing with Sugar, I missed vol. 2.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 09-22-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Don't have kids.

A couple of hundred bucks on DVDs is a drop in the bucket under those circumstances.

PS to some of the others - no one pays FOR something with a credit card, they pay WITH it, but the FOR part requires actual money.
Agreed. I don't charge anything to my card that I can't pay for at that time. It's just the medium I use. Hence, 0 credit card debt.
Old 09-22-06, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kikaroo
Perhaps it's just me but most of the people I personally know that like anime are females, including myself. Not all certainly, but the outnumber the males. Of course we're slightly older than the typical anime fan it seems these days but hey - you might find a girl actually interested in your collection, someday ^_~
That may well be, but it may not mean much.

Even if the females interested in anime outnumber the males two to one, it may only mean that 10% of females like anime as opposed to 5% of the males. Another 10% might be indifferent and for the other 80% it's hideworthy. As it is, anime's such a fringe interest that as I write this message in a Firefox 2 preview, it highlights the word in the text input area as a possible misspelling since it's not included in the built-in dictionary.

But if you know any anime-tolerant girls in the San Diego area, lemme know ;-)

Don't have kids.
I have already implemented three of these suggestions.

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You need to read this thread more carefully. I mentioned this strategy in post #316.
Why, so you have. I've no recollection of reading this post before, so I'd like to think I'm independently clever, but it is possible I skimmed it without realizing. Ah, the frailness of the human brain...

Last edited by eldad9; 09-22-06 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Updated. Updates might be slow for a few days because I'm coming down with something and not feeling so hot as we speak. I'll try to keep up as best as I can.
Old 09-22-06, 11:45 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
I received my first three orders (75 titles) today! I received the orders in less than two days after I received the tracking numbers via email. Two of the orders were combined into one big shipment. The packaging was great as usual. There was one coaster (no visible scratches) and a minor crack on one of the DVD cases. Overall, what a great sale!!!

Also a couple of the titles also had some neat extra stuff:
- Captain Herlock: Vol.2, 3, 4 with Pencil Boards
- Koi Kaze: Vol.2, 3 with Bonus Stickers
- NieA Under 7: Vol. 2, 4 with Cutout Stand-Ups
- Texhnolyze: Vol.1, 4, 6 with Lenticular Onserts
- X: Vol.3, 6, 8 with Limited Edition DVD Slip Cases
Old 09-22-06, 11:45 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by moiety
Agreed. I don't charge anything to my card that I can't pay for at that time. It's just the medium I use. Hence, 0 credit card debt.
I agree 100%! If you getting a good deal and then paying 18.9% for credit card interest, the card fees eat up a good chunk of your savings. I've paid $2.10 of CC interest in my life, and I've had a card for nearly 25 years.
Old 09-22-06, 11:55 PM
Defunct Account

Don't have kids.

Heck I even had kids and since I did the first three I can afford to drop some serious cash during good sales. It all depends on your priorities. If I wanted, my family could eat out an decent resturaunts every night, but we don't. I'd rather spend my cash on DVDs.

Not necessarily. I paid FOR some DVDs at FYE with used discs I had. No money required. I agree with you though. Saying "I used a credit card to pay for my purchase" sounds bad. You could argue that the debit to your account is the payment, but I think it would be weak.

Last edited by videophile; 09-23-06 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-23-06, 12:32 PM

As an aside to anyone looking for things to pad an order of Geneon items with, I'd highly recommend both of the Angela cds (I/O and Sora No Koe).
Old 09-23-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by videophile
Heck I even had kids and since I did the first three I can afford to drop some serious cash during good sales. It all depends on your priorities. If I wanted, my family could eat out an decent resturaunts every night, but we don't. I'd rather spend my cash on DVDs.
I notice you don't say what *they* would rather do
Old 09-23-06, 01:14 PM

I prefer my debit card, but then again I don't mind a little debt - especially when I know it'll be gone before long. But everybody has their own preference and I suppose it's truly gone into off-topic range at this point ^_~
Old 09-23-06, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't look like anyone's ordering any of the live action titles but I highly recommend The Locker Double Feature. They're basically you're typical Asian ghost girl with long hair doing what they do best and the first one is pretty dull but the second is leagues better. Pretty damn good, I even put it in my top 100 horror of all time.

Also, I got my Gad Guard Vol. 1 + Box + Hat from Buy Rite today....perfect condition.
Old 09-23-06, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

If this was answered before, I apologize.
I was curious how necessary is it to see AYA before Enishi? Can Enishi still be enjoyed without having seen AYA? Thanks guys.
Old 09-23-06, 03:52 PM
WTK

If this was answered before, I apologize.
I was curious how necessary is it to see AYA before Enishi? Can Enishi still be enjoyed without having seen AYA? Thanks guys.
It's not absolutely necessary for you to see AYA before Enishi. But I would still recommend that you watch AYA (1st season) first before Enishi (2nd season). Enishi is more or less about the relationships between all of the characters meanwhile the first season is focused more on the two main characters of Aoi and Kauru.
Old 09-23-06, 04:08 PM

Okay I encounter a small situation on my order.
Ikkitousen 1-4
tsukihime 1-2
Ai yori Aoshi 1.3.4.5
Ai yori Aoshi Enshi 1-3
Fushigi Yugi 1-5, 7-8
Last exile 5-7

Fushigi Yugi volume 6 and tsukihime 2 is sold out. Should I try to wait for it to be in stock or get something else? Its kindy close to sale ending.
Old 09-23-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the other items aren't close to going OOS, might as well wait a little bit. Also, does it say "Sold Out" and Unavailable, or "On Order from Manufacturer"? If the latter, you might as well order it if it lets you, my interpretation of that is that they have an order in and you're 'reserving' one of the inbound copies. I hope so, at least, because everything on my orders says 'On Order from Manufacturer', even though there's stock visible if you go to the item page. If it goes out of stock permanently, I think they will contact you and let you pick one of the other sale titles. On second thought, if it lets you order, and those are what you want, I'd go ahead.
Old 09-23-06, 04:18 PM

Well it says
Quantity Remaining: 0
SOLD OUT
Please Check Back
But there is no add to cart or order button

and it says Product Availability - On Order From Manufacturer
Old 09-23-06, 04:18 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by LazyGuy
Okay I encounter a small situation on my order.
Ikkitousen 1-4
tsukihime 1-2
Ai yori Aoshi 1.3.4.5
Ai yori Aoshi Enshi 1-3
Fushigi Yugi 1-5, 7-8
Last exile 5-7

Fushigi Yugi volume 6 and tsukihime 2 is sold out. Should I try to wait for it to be in stock or get something else? Its kindy close to sale ending.
At this point it's very unlikely that OOS items will become available before the sale ends. So you would probably want to order what is available. Or you can wait and see if they come back and take your chances. But you would have to keep an eye on the counter if the stuff you want is getting low in stock!

Well it says
SOLD OUT
Please Check Back

It won't be available for order until they get more in-stock which is very unlikely before the sale is over. It will likely come back sometime after the sale is over!

Last edited by WTK; 09-23-06 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 04:26 PM

ah man ok I guess I should order them with some thing
thanks guys
Old 09-23-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well it says
SOLD OUT
Please Check Back

Ah. That might mean 'sold out/no more coming', or that they just don't know when more is coming. You could order your regular order, keep watching the item page, then if comes back in stock ask them to swap it with something on your order--I did that no problem, of course, I don't think I swapped in something that was really limited edition or high demand or OOP or anything.
I would go ahead and place an order with the other stuff--even if you eventually have to get vol 2 from another source, the [ridiculously] cheaper prices on the other volumes should help balance it out.

Today's the 23rd, it's possible they might get more in; or they might wait till the sale is over then place a big order with the distributor. Or they might just be selling out whatever they have in stock or already coming, and people who order on 9*30 get slim pickings.
I would go ahead and place an order. Even if it comes in stock and you cant' swap it, you could always place another order for 10 items/50 bucks and save money .
Old 09-23-06, 05:00 PM

Okay took you guys advice and place the order. It was a tough decision. Decide to go with somedays dreamers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.