DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVDs at Ross - Dress for Less!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVDs at Ross - Dress for Less!

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Not quite. "Spider-Man vs. The Hobgoblin" is from the 90's series{Hobgoblin wasn't even around in the 60's. He was created in the 90's.}. And I'm pretty sure "Spider-Man vs. The Vulture" has episodes from the 80's cartoon.
Does anyone know if these eps. are on other, more complete discs or is this the only way to get them. I got 4 of them -- the 2 Spider-man, FF and a Hulk one, but 5 bucks seems like a lot for these (around 45mins) if there are better ways to purchase them. thanks.

Also, besides the pkg, is there any difference in HP and the Philospher's Stone as opposed to the US Version.
Old 11-14-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 340 Likes on 259 Posts

The scene in Harry Potter where they talk about what the "Stone" is was shot twice- once with the word "Sorcerer's" and once with "Philosopher's". Those who've watched these more intensely say there's a few other subtle differences in that scene as well, but everything else is the same in both versions except for the title at the beginning. Just double-checked my Canadian disc and the MPAA logo is still at the end of the credits, even though this version wasn't shown in the US. The movie also has a Canadian French dubbed track (the US disc has Spanish instead) and the extras disc is in both English and French while the US disc is only in English.
Old 11-14-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Does anyone know if these eps. are on other, more complete discs or is this the only way to get them. I got 4 of them -- the 2 Spider-man, FF and a Hulk one, but 5 bucks seems like a lot for these (around 45mins) if there are better ways to purchase them. thanks.

Don't know about Hulk and FF. As for Spider-man, but I don't think so, not in the US at least. Some season sets were released in the UK.
Old 11-15-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not quite. "Spider-Man vs. The Hobgoblin" is from the 90's series{Hobgoblin wasn't even around in the 60's. He was created in the 90's.}. And I'm pretty sure "Spider-Man vs. The Vulture" has episodes from the 80's cartoon.
With all due respect to JM33, I can't read this post without hearing it spoken in the voice of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons...
Old 11-15-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bwsmom
With all due respect to JM33, I can't read this post without hearing it spoken in the voice of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons...

Last edited by Jedi Master 33; 11-15-09 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-15-09, 02:33 PM

Don't know about Hulk and FF. As for Spider-man, but I don't think so, not in the US at least. Some season sets were released in the UK.

I may do a little more research on this before I return them. I'd like to have the cartoons, but inevitably a better set comes along that replaces these short discs, that is a lot more inclusive and cheaper.

I've got the same problem w/ a Here's Lucy 4D from Shout! I bought at Ross. Now that season sets are coming out, there's little incentive to keep this.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The scene in Harry Potter where they talk about what the "Stone" is was shot twice- once with the word "Sorcerer's" and once with "Philosopher's". Those who've watched these more intensely say there's a few other subtle differences in that scene as well, but everything else is the same in both versions except for the title at the beginning. Just double-checked my Canadian disc and the MPAA logo is still at the end of the credits, even though this version wasn't shown in the US. The movie also has a Canadian French dubbed track (the US disc has Spanish instead) and the extras disc is in both English and French while the US disc is only in English.

Thank you, Mine will probably go back in that I'm a fan, but not a huge fan of HP and I've spent waaaayyy too much lately. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may do a little more research on this before I return them. I'd like to have the cartoons, but inevitably a better set comes along that replaces these short discs, that is a lot more inclusive and cheaper.

I've got the same problem w/ a Here's Lucy 4D from Shout! I bought at Ross. Now that season sets are coming out, there's little incentive to keep this.

Thank you, Mine will probably go back in that I'm a fan, but not a huge fan of HP and I've spent waaaayyy too much lately. Thanks again.
With the recent X-men sets, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney started releasing them around Spider-man 4{2011}.
Old 11-15-09, 05:33 PM

Saw a few new things (at least new to this Ross) today:

Greatest Story Ever Told
AVP Requiem
Sin City
Old 11-15-09, 08:29 PM

The store in Cool Springs TN, had several different of the Star Trek 2 disc sets, don't remember all of them. Also a couple copies of Get Smart 2 disc and the Canadian Dark Knight. 3 copies of World According to Garp as well only one wasn't a floater though.

I wound up grabbing Gone Baby Gone and Garfield Fantasies.
Old 11-15-09, 10:37 PM

I got the same problem w/ a Here's Lucy 4D from Shout! I bought at Ross. Now that season sets are coming out, there's little incentive to keep this.
I thought that the season sets coming out were of "The Lucy Show", not "Here's Lucy", they are 2 different shows, "The Lucy Show" was her 1st sitcom after "I love Lucy" running from 1962–1968, and "Here's Lucy" was her 2nd running from 1968–1974. both shows co-starred Gale Gordon, but "Here's Lucy" also starred her children, Lucy Arnez and Desi Arnez Jr. by the way, her very short-lived 3rd sitcom from 1986 called "Life With Lucy", which only lasted 13 episodes, 8 of which were aired before it was cancelled, 5 of them never aired, also co-starred Gale Gordon. and when she did "Life With Lucy" she was 75 yrs old, Gale Gordon was 80.

Last edited by jgorow; 11-15-09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NCC1701E
Saw a few new things (at least new to this Ross) today:

Greatest Story Ever Told
AVP Requiem
Sin City
Was the Sin City DVD you saw a bilingual cover (Canadian) version? Aren't the Candian versions different than the US releases because they often remove Spanish tracks/subtitles and put in French?
Old 11-16-09, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Was the Sin City DVD you saw a bilingual cover (Canadian) version? Aren't the Candian versions different than the US releases because they often remove Spanish tracks/subtitles and put in French?
Yes, it was the Canadian version. Don't know the answer to the subtitles question.
Old 11-16-09, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jgorow
I thought that the season sets coming out were of "The Lucy Show", not "Here's Lucy", they are 2 different shows, "The Lucy Show" was her 1st sitcom after "I love Lucy" running from 1962–1968, and "Here's Lucy" was her 2nd running from 1968–1974. both shows co-starred Gale Gordon, but "Here's Lucy" also starred her children, Lucy Arnez and Desi Arnez Jr. by the way, her very short-lived 3rd sitcom from 1986 called "Life With Lucy", which only lasted 13 episodes, 8 of which were aired before it was cancelled, 5 of them never aired, also co-starred Gale Gordon. and when she did "Life With Lucy" she was 75 yrs old, Gale Gordon was 80.
There are two season of Here's Lucy currently out. So I hope they release the rest.
Old 11-17-09, 06:44 PM

Made a quick trip into Ross this evening. Found "Born to Controversy" a three disc set on Roddy Piper put out by WWE. $4.99. This is the only wrestling title I saw there.
Old 11-17-09, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jgorow
I thought that the season sets coming out were of "The Lucy Show", not "Here's Lucy"
There are two season of Here's Lucy currently out. So I hope they release the rest.
Correct.
MPI is releasing Here's Lucy, and CBS/Paramount is releasing The Lucy Show.
Shout! released The Best of the Here's Lucy Show. I would hang onto that one because its has a bunch of great special features--just in case MPI doesn't carry them over into the season sets.

Last edited by ron lee green; 11-17-09 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-18-09, 01:49 PM

found The new adventures of Superman (animated 60s) for 5.99. I never saw this one at Big Lots during the boxset wave.
Old 11-18-09, 02:48 PM

Picked up Burn After Reading at Ross today.

By the way, I counted 4 or 5 copies of the extended 4-discs version of the Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King, and I also saw one copy of The Fall of the Roman Empire (the 3-discs Miriam Collection gift set).
Old 11-18-09, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ron lee green
Correct.
MPI is releasing Here's Lucy, and CBS/Paramount is releasing The Lucy Show.
Shout! released The Best of the Here's Lucy Show. I would hang onto that one because its has a bunch of great special features--just in case MPI doesn't carry them over into the season sets.
For those interested in commentaries, none of the commentaries on the Shout! set have carried over to the MPI sets (in fact, the MPI sets have had no commentaries).
Old 11-20-09, 01:48 AM

The Mount Laurel, NJ store has the two-DVD releases of The Wrath of Khan, The Final Frontier, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, and Insurrection for $4.99 each.

Also had The New Adventures of Superman (Filmation), The Greatest Story Ever Told, several diferent John Wayne box sets, Spider-Man vs. The Vulture, and Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus.
Old 11-23-09, 11:08 AM

Picked up Guys and Dolls & Four Weddings and a Funeral for $3.99 each.
Old 11-25-09, 10:33 PM

Found a few new things @ Ross tonight - the shelves were PACKED with DVD's! I picked up:

Exorcist II: The Heretic ($3.99)
Empire Falls - HBO Miniseries ($3.99 Blind buy)
New Adventures of Superman ($5.99)

Also saw the New Adventures of He-Man Volume 1, for $4.99. I think it is OOP.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Adventures...209954&sr=8-15
Old 11-25-09, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NCC1701E
New Adventures of Superman ($5.99)
Nice! Looks like I'll be making the trip Friday!
Old 11-26-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up The Fall of Roman Empire
Old 12-02-09, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

Went to the downtown SF location today and scored:

Some Kind Of Wonderful (1987 John Hughes flick) $4.99

and surprisingly (as I looked through the dvds, but didn't notice it until I ran through the line once more)

The Incredible Hulk (3 disc edition) for $5.99 (awesome price)
Old 12-07-09, 05:12 PM

A few days ago I picked up at a Ross store in Puyallup, WA:

Empire Falls (HBO Miniseries) $3.99
Four Weddings and a Funeral (Deluxe Edition) $3.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.