It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I agree that the precentage off needs to be 50% or better to make these deals attractive it is entirely possible that we may never see them go that high. After all this is consolidation of stores, so they can just ship the remaining stock to stores that remain open. I've worked in a lot of stores that closed and they typically tried to sell off the "crap" at 30-40% and never went higher. The remaining stock was shipped to stores that stayed open. It wasn't until the entire chain closed that the precentages went higher.

So all the deals you're waiting for may never come.

Just my two cents...
Old 02-13-06, 06:08 PM

The Suncoast here has received signage that goes up to 70% off, so that's a good sign that it may indeed go that high before it's all said and done.
Old 02-13-06, 08:13 PM

Starting today, my local SamGoody is increasing the discount to 30% off each regular item and 50% off each crap. Maybe later this week we will see "get 40% off if buy 4 or more", then next week maybe 40% off each regular item...

Last edited by dvdphilic; 02-13-06 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdphilic
Starting today, my local SamGoody is increasing the discount to 30% off each regular item and 50% off each crap.
I'm not sure I understand..... have they slapped little "crap" stickers on some items?
Old 02-13-06, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
I'm not sure I understand..... have they slapped little "crap" stickers on some items?
Crap means clearance item such as calendars, magazines, posters, junk food and other stuff found in the clearance bins.
Old 02-13-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
At the Suncoast that's closing near me in Arlington, the clerk told me they're going to 50% discount this weekend. If so, there are a ton of Criterions I plan to plunder.
Old 02-14-06, 11:15 AM

Just an interesting note, but they have taken the stores that are closing near me out of the store finder system on their website.
Old 02-14-06, 01:31 PM

yeah stores near meare only 30% off and I didn't see anything I wanted that I could afford and nothing that was on sale enough to make me impulse buy
Old 02-14-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unfortunately none of the Sam Goody stores are closing here. I hate that place. They have insultingly high prices, rude salespeople, intractible exchange policies...basically everything I hate in a retail store. Good riddance.
Old 02-15-06, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by blucadet3
The only ones closing in Oklahoma are in the ghetto mall in Tulsa OK. The mall got so ghetto that there is a store that sells pimp jackets and hats with big feathers and things and also a wheel store that sells rims with spinners and neon lights for your pimp ride. Thats when I knew that mall was no longer safe for a young white boy.

I dont live in that part of the state anymore or I would stop by (during daylight hours) for some deals.

haha you think thats bad? when a mall in Toledo, Ohio was more or less abandoned by its customer base for newer shopping in the suburbs it quickly decayed. It was eerie going into the place on a Saturday night, as most of the few stores left would close early cause the crowds of kids would get so rowdy and obnoxious. Only the chain stores (Dunham's for example) which probably had company mandated hours stayed open. You seriously felt like you could film a zombie movie in the place without permission. Near the end, it featured such amazing stores as a "Wrasslin' School" and one store space that just had a big net placed at the far end and was used as a batting cage. priceless. for a while many of the independent stores had put up signs saying "we support our mall!" and you got the sense that the stores without those signs were thinking "we do too...till our lease ends!"

but getting back on topic, im amazed they have stayed afloat this long. the last time I bought something at the soon to be closed Sam Goody near me I think it was on casette. The suncoast next door to it (which is staying open) had some cool employees at one point, but there was a lot of turnover and new people every time I went in the place. They said there was a major thief who hit them very often and had never been caught. He could quickly cut through the security stickers and would just swipe the disc. The guy was hitting all the little stores in the area. Almost every day they would find an empty case when tidying up or a customer would bring one to the counter. I mean I dont like their prices either but thats crazy.
Old 02-15-06, 09:10 PM

I remember a similar instance of "mall decay" from when my family was living in upstate New York. As a young kid the big mall in the area was the Penn Cann Mall. Then they opened the Great Northern Mall and the Penn Cann started to slowly die. Little by little all the decent stores disappeared in favor of a lot of craft and bargain stores. For awhile they held in there on the strength of one or two department stores that were anchoring the whole operation. When they opened the Carousel Mall in Syracuse it was the death blow. The Penn Cann turned into a virtual ghost town with half the stores empty and about 5 people wandering around on a good day. Even the food places got ghetto. No more recognizable fast food chains. No McDonald's, no Sbarro. The 4-plex movie theater? Gone. The dept. stores? Converted into discount clothing shops with the old burnt out JC Penny's sign still resting in disgrace out front. Signs of a bygone era...

Funny this same process has engulfed the mall in my Dad's town in Texas. When I was a kid it was a nice little mall. Now it's ghetto fabulous. All kinds of O.G.'s hang out there with their ho's and the stores all cater to low-class gangsta wannabes. Oddly enough Old Navy moved in, though...
Old 02-16-06, 08:22 AM

Funny this same process has engulfed the mall in my Dad's town in Texas. When I was a kid it was a nice little mall. Now it's ghetto fabulous. All kinds of O.G.'s hang out there with their ho's and the stores all cater to low-class gangsta wannabes. Oddly enough Old Navy moved in, though...
OLD NAVY! Lol...Too bad they dont sell dvds cause they have decent prices on clothing. 10 dollar sale jeans rule.
Old 02-16-06, 09:44 AM

Made a little voyage yesterday, and the Sam Goody in Clifton, NJ, is closed. The one in Garden State Plaza still has loads of stuff in it, but it's still only 30% off; likewise with the Suncoast. Since I buy basically British television on DVD, I couldn't find anything at either store that I couldn't buy cheaper at deepdiscountdvd. Still, I'll head back next week hopefully, perhaps they'll be down to 50% off by then.

Shame about the Sam Goody, though. There's been one in Garden State Plaza for as long as I can remember, certainly for at least 25 years, back in the day when you had to walk *outside* to go from one store to another!
Old 02-16-06, 03:12 PM

Stopped by the Sam Goody in Gurnee, IL. Everything marked at 30%, but still higher than most other places. Surprised to see how much stock they still have. Just shows you that even their clearance prices are outrageous.

Funny thing is, I accidently stopped by the FYE store in the mall and did not see any clearance sales (I was thinking it was the FYE that was closing). I asked the clerk about the store closing and he told me that it was Sam Goody closing, not FYE. He added that FYE was "dominating" the market. I find that hard to believe with their prices. While some of their prices are good (with the rebates), their regular prices are fairly high.

If they go to 50% off this weekend, I might go back.
Old 02-16-06, 09:19 PM

Here is a cool site to visit http://www.deadmalls.com/

There are two malls in St Louis that I used to go to when I was a kid that are on this site.
Old 02-16-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From IMDB on The Ugly: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120401/
Old 02-17-06, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Robertwoj
He added that FYE was "dominating" the market. I find that hard to believe with their prices. While some of their prices are good (with the rebates), their regular prices are fairly high.
What? Do employees get stock in the company or something? What a load of rubbish! In the past year I have watched 3 different FYEs close their doors in my area.
Old 02-17-06, 07:47 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Went to the Sam Goody in Lancaster, PA yesterday. All that I picked up were some Peanuts holiday DVDs, becauase all holiday DVDs were 70% off. I was kind of confused by some stuff, like there were Army of Darkness toys which I think were in clearance, but their price tag was 14.95 with a red line through it, no other price, and there weren't signs around it, so I had no idea how much they would be. I'm hoping the sale prices keep going down, because they had a handful of the Weird Tales of the Ramones CD/DVD set, which retails for $64.95, if I can get it for under $30 I'll pick it up.
I asked a girl that worked there when they would be closing, she said it depends on how much they sell, if they sell a lot, they stay open longer, if not, they close sooner.
Old 02-17-06, 08:08 AM

I also picked up some 70 percent off holiday DVDs last night. I picked up 10 titles and the average cost came out to be about 5.50 each. I wasn't sure if these prices were significantly better than the DDD 20 percent sale price, but after checking, I got most things at least 50 percent off of DDD's price. It won't be worth it to me to buy anything else unless it's at least 70 percent off.
Old 02-17-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
I asked a girl that worked there when they would be closing, she said it depends on how much they sell, if they sell a lot, they stay open longer, if not, they close sooner.
Very interesting. So we might only be pushing our area stores to early closure by waiting around for higher discounts and then we end up with nothing? Hmmmm....
Old 02-17-06, 11:09 AM

In the past year I have watched 3 different FYEs close their doors in my area.
Yeah, 3 months after I realized an FYE had opened in a local mall, it closed.
Old 02-17-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by slowcloud
Very interesting. So we might only be pushing our area stores to early closure by waiting around for higher discounts and then we end up with nothing? Hmmmm....
It's not like it's our fault if the stores close earlier than planned. It's the fault of the chain for having such high prices. I was in a local Sam Goody/Suncoast and couldn't find a single deal in either store. If the discount were 50% or more, there are a few SACDs and DVD-Audio discs I'd pick up, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-17-06, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by brooke789
I also picked up some 70 percent off holiday DVDs last night. I picked up 10 titles and the average cost came out to be about 5.50 each. I wasn't sure if these prices were significantly better than the DDD 20 percent sale price, but after checking, I got most things at least 50 percent off of DDD's price. It won't be worth it to me to buy anything else unless it's at least 70 percent off.
Went to the Brooklyn Kings Plaza Suncoast and Sam Goody's. Both are mercifully closing and as brooke789 says, the Christmas CDs are well worth it if you're into that. I picked up some titles on my wish list at great prices:

March of the Wooden Soldiers 2.99 (DDD 6.00)
Miracle on 34th St 5.99 (DDD N/A)
Bells of St Marys 4.49 (DDD N/A)
Christmas in Connecticut 5.99 (DDD 13.37)
White Christmas 4.49 (DDD 9.36)
Scrooged 4.49 (DDD 9.36)
A Christmas Story (2D-SE) 8.09 (DDD 20.57)

They also had several versions of A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim, Reginald Owen, Patrick Stewart, George C. Scott), the Santa Clause, et cetera. All in all not a bad time to stock up on the Yuletide cheer. Happy Holidays!
Old 02-18-06, 03:27 PM

I picked up the Donnie Darko Directors Cut tin...final total turned out to be 15.34...it will remain unopened since I bought it already slipcase and all (without the tin)
Old 02-18-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, did the discounts go to 50% this weekend? I won't be able to get down there till Thursday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.