Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I overheard some employees gabbing this morning when I was there. Apparently, starting this weekend/next week, when you buy 4 or more DVD's, you get 30% off of each.
Old 02-07-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JoN8282
just visited the suncoast and same goody's in paramus nj - as reported earlier, all cd's and dvd's were 20% their listed price, which in almost all cases was MSRP - so no warm deals whatsoever... yet - however there was still pretty much full normal inventory sans new releases from the past couple of weeks. from looking at the prices - the discount is going to have to hit at least 50% before anything becomes a warm deal.
Same situation with the Suncoast and Sam Goody in the Broadway Mall in Hicksville, NY.
Old 02-08-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My closest Sam Goody closed already! No sale whatsoever. They were there 2 weeks ago. Suncoast told me they closed 1 week ago. Strange...

Suncoast also told me that the closing stores are no longer owned by the Musicland Grouop. A liquidator bought the stores and all of their assets. After I got home, I started to wonder the following: can we still get Replay Points? Will they still take gift cards? Hopefully the answer is yes to both questions. Can anyone here verify?
Old 02-08-06, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
My closest Sam Goody closed already! No sale whatsoever. They were there 2 weeks ago. Suncoast told me they closed 1 week ago.
Same in my neighborhood...the Suncoast in Burlington Mall seemed to be open one day with no mention of leaving and then gone the next. Good riddance though.

It would be interesting to find out who is buying their bulk leftover stock.
Old 02-08-06, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
After I got home, I started to wonder the following: can we still get Replay Points? Will they still take gift cards? Hopefully the answer is yes to both questions. Can anyone here verify?
Nope on the replay points, I'm sure. Media play was a no. Dunno about giftcards, though.
Old 02-08-06, 07:28 AM

Just a heads up.

I have a friend who works at the Suncoast in Castleton (Indianapolis, IN) and she says that her and her co-workers already have hidden stacks of movies that they plan on buying cheap the last day. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing, but don't be surprised if all of the "good stuff" is gone early.
Old 02-08-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by used_submarine
Just a heads up.

I have a friend who works at the Suncoast in Castleton (Indianapolis, IN) and she says that her and her co-workers already have hidden stacks of movies that they plan on buying cheap the last day. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing, but don't be surprised if all of the "good stuff" is gone early.
That blows. But since they're about to lose their jobs, I guess they should get one last perk out of it...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 02-10-06 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-08-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Just a heads up.

That doesn't surprise or bother me. Mostly because what they would consider "the good stuff" are things I wouldn't take even if they paid me.
Old 02-08-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
That doesn't surprise or bother me. Mostly because what they would consider "the good stuff" are things I wouldn't take even if they paid me.
As long as not too many store employees get these ideas. It should remain fair to the regular consumer, too, sympathy aside to the employees (but, let's face it, a lot of these people who work at these types of stores are still living at home, anyway).
Old 02-08-06, 10:52 AM
HTN

... they plan on buying cheap the last day.
I personally have no problems with them stashing stuff away either. The company should have given them some dollar allowance ("severance" pay) to buy their picks of movies before the closing started, instead of having to hide things away in some back room. Hopefully, the employees will get charged the actual company cost instead of the grossly inflated retail price.

I'm sure each store may have a different closure date, but your friend would happen to know the final percentage off discount before the door closes?
Old 02-08-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Heck, my old store closed years ago. But the closest one to me just moved (within the same mall) and redecorated . . . looked really nice. I'm more interested in the fixtures and the decor than the merchandise!
Old 02-09-06, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
I overheard some employees gabbing this morning when I was there. Apparently, starting this weekend/next week, when you buy 4 or more DVD's, you get 30% off of each.
The 30% off when buying 4 or more just started at my local SamGoody. But I still can't make up 4 titles to grab. Besides, 30% off is still higher than BB, CC and Walmart's price. Does anybody know if they will continue increasing the discount as the closing day approaches?
Old 02-10-06, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
They're closing 341 stores. Here's the list.
Linky
Thanks for the link! I see my store in Mishawaka, IN is closing. It all makes a more sense now.

I called about my Replay card because, like a lot of people, I had just renewed for two years when Media Play announced their closing. I was told I could use it at the Sam Goody store, but I replied I don't buy music and they don't have many DVDs. Without even asking, she offered to reimburse me for the membership (pro-rated). I suspected then that this Sam Goody store would be closing.

Still waiting for the reimbursement check though. I called on Jan. 9th. but was told 4 to 6 weeks.
Old 02-10-06, 09:36 AM

I picked up the 'Weird Al' Yankovic Ultimate Video Collection. I've been looking for this for the past few months....
Old 02-10-06, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dvdphilic
The 30% off when buying 4 or more just started at my local SamGoody. But I still can't make up 4 titles to grab. Besides, 30% off is still higher than BB, CC and Walmart's price. Does anybody know if they will continue increasing the discount as the closing day approaches?
Mine has the same deal going. The DVD's are still much higher than any other local store. They had a lot of DVD's still on the racks; and, although the store had a lot of people in it, few were walking out with anything in their hands. Hopefully, the discount continues to go up so that the prices become more reasonable.
Old 02-10-06, 07:00 PM

Don't we all live at home?

Originally Posted by slowcloud
As long as not too many store employees get these ideas. It should remain fair to the regular consumer, too, sympathy aside to the employees (but, let's face it, a lot of these people who work at these types of stores are still living at home, anyway).
I don't understand this statement?
I can follow the logic that they may live with their parents, but what does that matter? They still worked through the holiday season (which is a pain in the ass) and are being repaid by losing their jobs.

I feel it's a benefit of the job to reap whatever they can from it. I'm sure you get some perk for working at your job as I do and most all other people do too.
Old 02-10-06, 09:29 PM
Banned

I've been shocked Suncoast stayed open THIS long. Even as a kid I realized it was overpriced. Sam with Sam Goody. I'll probably check on the ones by me tomorrow. Hopefully they have 50% off at some point.
Old 02-10-06, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by HTN
I'm sure each store may have a different closure date, but your friend would happen to know the final percentage off discount before the door closes?
Her store closes around the first full week of March, but the higher-ups haven't said how high they'd discount the merchandise at the end. When she finds out, she'll let me know.
Old 02-10-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The NYC Manhattan Mall location is still well-stocked, and has the "buy 4 get 30% off" in effect. I was there around lunchtime Friday, and was the only non-employee in the store. Couldn't find anything to justify pulling out my wallet, but if the discounts get better .....
Old 02-12-06, 03:25 PM

I decided to take a trip to the Broward Mall location and found nothing to buy. There were plenty of TV boxsets left. If the deals get much better I may go back in, but their regular prices are insane. I was able to find a copy of the Criterion Collection Rebel Samurai box, but there was nowhere to "hide" it until the bigger discounts came.

Mostly everyone in the store was looking through the cheap stuff ($10 and under), but while I was there (20 minuutes) I don't think a person bought anything.
Old 02-12-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The two stores closing near here (not sure if they're SunCoast or Sam Goody) are still a 20-30 minute drive, so I won't be heading over there until the discounts hit at least 30-40%.
Old 02-12-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for posting the list of closing stores since it saved me a trip. Both the Sam Goody's and Suncoast near me are remaining open.
Old 02-12-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nazz
Thanks for posting the list of closing stores since it saved me a trip. Both the Sam Goody's and Suncoast near me are remaining open.
Same here. My nearby ones are staying open, and it's not worth driving to the other ones until the discount becomes a lot bigger... except when that happens there will be nothing good left by the time I get there.

My only concern is that my $150 worth of gift cards doesn't vanish before I can use it this year. Hopefully they won't change their minds and close all their stores before I can use it.
Old 02-12-06, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
The two stores closing near here (not sure if they're SunCoast or Sam Goody) are still a 20-30 minute drive, so I won't be heading over there until the discounts hit at least 30-40%.
Right now the discounts are "generally" still 20-40% BUT if you buy 4 DVD's and/or CD's (mix and match) = 30% off.

I believe someone, earlier in this thread, already mentioned this., but I said it here since you, Shagrath, were thinking about looking at the 30% level.

Now, for me still needs to get to atleast 40% before I will even consider buying, but I will probably wait until atleast 50% to buy (Some DDD 20% sale and Barnes and Noble B2G1 in June will be 40-50% off, so I can wait fir the higher discounts and take my chances then -- my thinkin' atleast). Only buy if it is an item I can not find elsewhere and they happen to have.
Old 02-12-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by forumsmy
Now, for me still needs to get to atleast 40% before I will even consider buying, but I will probably wait until atleast 50% to buy (Some DDD 20% sale and Barnes and Noble B2G1 in June will be 40-50% off, so I can wait fir the higher discounts and take my chances then -- my thinkin' atleast). Only buy if it is an item I can not find elsewhere and they happen to have.
True, true. At the DDD sale, and to a lesser extent, the BN sale, I can get Criterions (mainly what I'd be interested in) for about 45% off retail, so I guess SunCoast would have to drop to 50% to really make it worth the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.