Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVEIGNORANT
Thanks for the reply. This Monday as in yesterday, or this coming Monday?
This coming Monday - 3/13/06

They still had 10-20 different Criterions for $15-$20 if you bought 4 or more DVDs (50% off).

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Man Who Fell To Earth come to mind - they were still there for $20

Last edited by Wallet Boy; 03-08-06 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-08-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I didn't know so many of you guys up here lived in Austin. Can anyone mention any Criterion titles they may have seen at Highland or Lakeline?
Old 03-08-06, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cheapbrass
you talking about the lincolnwood mall in IL (on touhy and mccormick)? are they only at 40% off too?
Right on... they were still at 40% off on monday, the lady was telling me that she does not think there will be enough stuff to mark down to 50%. pretty much everything was gone...
Old 03-08-06, 06:03 PM

Not much left at the SG on 231 on Long Island...

Even at 40% off, the prices are high...
Old 03-08-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Went to Sam Goody's this p.m and they were sending most of their remaining DVDs over tothe Suncoast that is also closing. The store looked pretty stripped. I picked up Stargate: Atlantis Season 1 for around $17 using a reward certificate.
Old 03-08-06, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got back from a Sam Goody in NJ. All new CDs and DVDs were marked to 40%, but there was no further discount for multiple items. One of the employees told me that's a special discount that they do every other week or something? I'm a little ticked off since I actually found decent stuff tonight (stuff that wasn't worth it at 40%, but would be at 50% off).
Old 03-09-06, 07:41 AM
CTH

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
Just got back from a Sam Goody in NJ. All new CDs and DVDs were marked to 40%, but there was no further discount for multiple items. One of the employees told me that's a special discount that they do every other week or something? I'm a little ticked off since I actually found decent stuff tonight (stuff that wasn't worth it at 40%, but would be at 50% off).
Which NJ Sam Goody did you go to? I was thinking of taking one last shot at the Garden State Plaza but if they havent dropped below 40% than its not worth the effort.
Old 03-09-06, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wayne Hills Mall store. They still have a nearly full wall of TV sets, and a reasonable selection of movies considering (at least there was last night).
Old 03-09-06, 04:59 PM

I visited a SunCoast today and found Hopscotch: Criterion Collection for $29.99...

Was this movie ever released besides by Criterion?

I found in the used section, Genesis - The Way We Walk Concert 2dvd set for $3.49 final price...
Old 03-09-06, 05:58 PM

I've been looking for a good price on The Doors Collection. Saw it and bought it from Sam Goody for 15.00.
Old 03-09-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called my local store today, and they said they just went to 40% 2 days ago.. Looks like I'll have to wait another week or two before they drop down to 50% and make it worth the drive down there.
Old 03-09-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I called my local store today, and they said they just went to 40% 2 days ago.. Looks like I'll have to wait another week or two before they drop down to 50% and make it worth the drive down there.
You might not want to wait that long, Shagrath. The two stores I went to were running out of good deals, plus there's been reports that some stores have already closed.
Old 03-09-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I hit my Suncoast(Emerald Square Mall, North Attleboro MA) for probably the last time today. The racks are pretty much stripped bare. They appear to have a healthy selection of anime and used titles left but tv shows are all but wiped out. Regular movies have been condensed to 2 of their racks. I'm not sure how much longer they've got left. I was going to ask the clerk but she was rather rude so I decided against it. I understand being upset about losing your job and all but you're still being paid. Put on a smile and save the condescending comments.
/end rant
Old 03-09-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hit two of the local closing ones today, might stop in one last time at one of them for a few cds. For those in this area, Exton Mall is pretty cleaned out, King of Prussia Mall still has a ton of stuff, some criterions, Cinderella Man CE, etc....not too many great deals left though.
Checked out the Springfield Mall last week, they still had alot on the shelves but no great deals that i noticed.
Old 03-09-06, 10:35 PM

Went back to the Monroe NC Sam Goody location today...they had a bunch of DVDs that weren't there last week...the back side of one entire rack was full of stuff I'd not seen on previous visits, and I took time to look down every damn rack/aisle/nook/cranny the first time through. Only thing I got this time was LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1986) for 8 bucks and change...they had two copies, one at $19.99 and one at $14.99---got me hopin' that one of them was the very OOP version, since I found MATINEE there last week. The store is gradually becoming a mess...but they're still VERY well stocked...tons of TV on DVD, but as stated previously, they broke up a vast number of box sets---Thin Man, Marx Bros, Indiana Jones, Raiders, etc... I probably would have spent more, but I've already placed orders with Digital Eyes for titles from the Sony and MGM sales running right now. I really need to take a break...
Old 03-10-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
You might not want to wait that long, Shagrath. The two stores I went to were running out of good deals, plus there's been reports that some stores have already closed.
The things I'm interested in buying (Criterions) aren't worth it to me, until they're at least 50% off. If I don't get any, it's not a big deal.
Old 03-10-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My closest store keeps getting more stock in. I asked them if any of the other stores in town already closed, and they said no. So I don't know where the stock is coming from. But they said they aren't going to be closing anytime soon (which is good! I want better clearance discounts!)
They are currently at 40% for all DVD's and box sets and collectibles, 50% on software, 60% on calendars, posters, and utter crap... They don't have the "buy 4 get 50% off deal" going, or I might have looked around a bit harder.
Old 03-10-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tony Dvdfan
I hit two of the local closing ones today, might stop in one last time at one of them for a few cds. For those in this area, Exton Mall is pretty cleaned out, King of Prussia Mall still has a ton of stuff, some criterions, Cinderella Man CE, etc....not too many great deals left though.
Checked out the Springfield Mall last week, they still had alot on the shelves but no great deals that i noticed.
Tony, did you go to Plymouth Meeting yet? I went to Montgomeryville this week and there weren't any deals there.
Old 03-10-06, 09:35 PM

Went to the Montgomery Mall Sam Goody in Bethesda, Maryland. All DVDs and CDs are 40% off, and I think used is 50% off - as most other places seem to be. They had a good amount of new DVDs and box sets, but at 40% off, not much was worth my while.

I was tempted by a King Kong 1933 Special Edition for $16, but it's not much lower than can be found online, so I held off - didn't actually get anything.

Oh, and they have no idea when they are closing.
Old 03-10-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Tony, did you go to Plymouth Meeting yet? I went to Montgomeryville this week and there weren't any deals there.
Haven't been to Plymouth Meeting yet....i am supposed to be in that area with work sometime next week, probably will stop in then. I'll let you know if its worth checking out. How far are you from there?
Old 03-11-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't been to Plymouth Meeting yet....i am supposed to be in that area with work sometime next week, probably will stop in then. I'll let you know if its worth checking out. How far are you from there?
I'm about 30 miles away.
Old 03-11-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I just got back from my second (and final) trip to Suncoast. The one here is closing on Sunday. I ended up purchasing Showgirls: VIP Edition for $23.99 and a "Death Row Marv" statue for $12.99. Here is a picture of it:

http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/d5/eb/bc_1.JPG

(That one isn't mine though, just a picture of one from Ebay.)
Old 03-11-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Well, I just got back from my second (and final) trip to Suncoast. The one here is closing on Sunday. I ended up purchasing Showgirls: VIP Edition for $23.99 and a "Death Row Marv" statue for $12.99. Here is a picture of it:

http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/d5/eb/bc_1.JPG

(That one isn't mine though, just a picture of one from Ebay.)
Why not go back on the last day? We'd be curious to hear your report as to whether they dropped prices drastically for the final day, as someone else posted earlier about seeing prices down to 70% off on the last day only. You may find stuff worthwhile then, at tose prices-- if indeed the same happens at your shop, of course.
Old 03-11-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I went again tonight. There was a sign at the entrance that said that all DVDs were $17.99 or less. The exception were TV shows, box sets, and collectors set. The store was pretty full still, but starting to thin out a bit. Was surprised to see a bunch of Criterions still so I grabbed Rashomon. Ran, Jules & Jim, Scenes From A Marriage, and Slacker. I also grabbed the Wizard Of Oz set, Live Aid set, Steamboy set, and a couple of expensive ones that might not count as sets. All the Criterions were ringing up only the 40% off and I asked why they were not $17.99. The gave me Rashomon, Ran, and Jules & Jim for the $17.99, but then called the manager who said that only 1-disc DVDs were supposed to be $17.99. The let me keep those 3 at $17.99, so the rest I left. In total I got (prices with tax):

Jules & Jim: Criterion - $19.52
Ran: Criterion - $19.52
Rashomon: Criterion - $19.52
Heathers - $9.75
Constantine (Deluxe) - $17.57
Heart Of The Festival (Some doc about Cannes) - $16.26

I might go back if it goes to 50% off everything.
Old 03-11-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
they were pretty cleaned out of most dvds.
i did find a 3 disc million dollar baby and a 3 disc hellboy. yesterday.
bought the boombox for my xm skyfi2 for $60.00

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.