DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/454835-its-started-suncoast-sam-goody-closings-sales.html)

forumsmy 02-05-06 09:26 PM

It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

I was not sure if this would be better in the Store Forum or here, Bargains - but figured it was more of a bargain (later in sale) than not.

The Suncoast/Sam Goody store closing sales have begun.

Yes - now only 20%-40% (dvd/cd = 20%) :( Calendars were the only other thing I saw at 40% (just last week they were clearanced at $3.50 when I got a Trek Stardate one; price went up). Magazines were 20% or 30% (don't remember which.) Still had the storage and electronics also discounted of course.

I overheard one of the sales people saying to someone that the "real deals now are the clearance items which are 20% off of the already marked discount." The clearance stuff was not interesting to me (mainly some collectible figures, boxes, etc, I don't remember exactly what).

Also one did say something about the store closing its doors in about 6-8 weeks.

A good number of people in the store but the stock seemed to not be moving - looked just as full as before. Did not see any current week releases - looks like they may have stopped as of a week or so ago.

justbarelymovin 02-05-06 09:33 PM

Is this going to apply to all of their stores, or ones in specific? I can't really tell from your post.

Trevor 02-05-06 10:01 PM

Are they all closing down? Crap. I have like $200 in store credit at the chain and I didn't want to rush to spend it.

tofferman 02-05-06 10:08 PM

Their markups on dvds was so high that it may take a while to move that inventory.

sportsfan64 02-05-06 10:09 PM

They're closing 341 stores. Here's the list.
Linky

Lecithin 02-05-06 10:12 PM

Looks like the only one near me is not on the list. Darn, I liked their clearance action figures.

Peep 02-05-06 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Looks like the only one near me is not on the list. Darn, I liked their clearance action figures.

That sucks for you that those people get to keep their jobs.

edallasplanet 02-05-06 10:27 PM

I wish the one by me was going out of business. The people there are RUDE

paulringodaman 02-05-06 10:33 PM

I have never purchased anything at a Suncoast or Sam Goody...They are so expensive. I just bide time while the woman goes and shops at the mall....so I am sad about taht and the fact people will lose their jobs...I will have to check these stores out and report back.

JoN8282 02-05-06 10:43 PM

hahaha those asses have 3 stores in one mall by my house, and they are all closing - ill be a regular visitor to watch the prices drop :)

Snowmaker 02-05-06 11:01 PM

Damn! None near me. The Suncost that was closest to me closed like 5-6 years ago.

DonnachaOne 02-05-06 11:04 PM

Whenever I go to Orland Square, I always stop in to chat to the Suncoast people. There's a few people there who genuinely love films and they're always great to chat to, whether it be about the latest releases or just the silliness of the the average customers. I generally don't buy, but now and then I do - usually it's not even a sale item.

So, I'm sad to see the store close and them lose their jobs, and also feel partly responsible. Sure, the main culprit was Suncoast's high prices, but me in there wasting their time couldn't have helped.

With that said, I'm going in the morning, to talk to them. And sniff out some deals. I'm only human.

Cinemaddiction 02-06-06 12:14 AM

Hmm..Northtown Mall location is going bye-bye. That's the only place to find decent movie memorabilia, without having to trek out to FYE at Mall of America. Oh well.

IamLegend 02-06-06 01:07 AM

over the years I mostly browsed there too as prices were so high...did pick up one of those Little Shop of Horrors OOP a few years ago there I remember :) from learning about that on dvd talk. Seems like this is the trend..hard top compete against the big box stores and internet

bballing 02-06-06 01:19 AM

Good news. What a crap franchise. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand why they have had troubles. In some places you can walk 20 feet and find the same exact dvd in another store for 1/2 the price.

teamwinfan 02-06-06 01:26 AM

Time to get some discount action figures...

Ravid 02-06-06 02:27 AM

I've only bought one DVD at a mall store like FYE or Sam Goody, and I had a gift card so I didn't pay much for it. I browse these stores occasionally and wonder how they think people will shop there when Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. have DVDs for a good deal cheaper.

midwavePM 02-06-06 05:23 AM

Suncoast used to be the best place to find 'hard-to-find' releases, but with all the resources online, especially DeepDiscountDVD w/free shipping, there is little reason to shop there, unless you can't wait to get something unique for about a week.

GreenMonkey 02-06-06 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by midwavePM
Suncoast used to be the best place to find 'hard-to-find' releases, but with all the resources online, especially DeepDiscountDVD w/free shipping, there is little reason to shop there, unless you can't wait to get something unique for about a week.

I also have attributed the death of Media Play/FYE stores to the rise of the internet. Before, if you wanted a niche, indie, classic or anime product, Suncoast was the only way to go. Now, there's Amazon.com, DDD, etc.

AGuyNamedMike 02-06-06 07:42 AM

w00t! Sam Goody AND Suncoast in Tally are on the list. I reckon I'll have to make that crosstown trip...

Mr. Cinema 02-06-06 08:10 AM

Only a Sam Goody is closing near me. I have never been in a Sam Goody store. Looks like I'll plan a trip over there this weekend.

marty888 02-06-06 08:20 AM

I see that one of the listed closings here in NYC is for the A & S Mall location ...... except it hasn't been called that for several years, it's the MANHATTAN MALL. The store was originally at street level, then moved down one level, and finally sank even lower to the bottom level, giving a physical dimension to their business status. I'll check it out before they disappear but can't say I'll miss them at all.

reverie 02-06-06 08:35 AM

Wow, looks like all the Sam Goody's in my area and back in my home area in PA are going away. Sad for the loss of jobs, but don't really care about the company..

tofferman 02-06-06 08:43 AM

The best deal I got from them was the misprice last year on the Fanny and Alexander set. It's no surprise they are going out of business, as I'm kind of surprised they lasted this long.

Dabaomb 02-06-06 09:12 AM

I'm really surprised that all 3 in Paramus, NJ, AKA Mall Town NJ are closing.

If you can't do business there, you can't do it anywhere.