It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

It's Started - The Suncoast/Sam Goody Closings Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have an inkling or has any information as to when the Sam Goody and Suncoast stores will finally close? I asked at my local Sam Goody and the sales clerk had no idea. Although I feel bad for those who will be losing their jobs, they really seem to be dragging out this going-out-of-business sale and, with a few exceptions, the discounts really haven't been all that impressive.
Old 03-01-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobhug
Does anyone have an inkling or has any information as to when the Sam Goody and Suncoast stores will finally close? I asked at my local Sam Goody and the sales clerk had no idea. Although I feel bad for those who will be losing their jobs, they really seem to be dragging out this going-out-of-business sale and, with a few exceptions, the discounts really haven't been all that impressive.

the guy there today sadi at least another month, but who knows if he has a clue...
Old 03-02-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobhug
I was told that store closing will vary a bit depending upon when an individual store's lease is up.

As for "dragging out" this going-out-of-business sale, I think they've been doing it very well. Far better than others I've seen where they have stuff 10% one week, then have a bare store the next (some company ended up buying their merchandise). And they've had a "preview" of greater discount at times by having to buy 4 or more.

The local store manager had a great attitude about it all. He was also a nice guy, but it seemed whatever pressures he was usually under no longer existed. He said that he only is told the night before when the next phase of discounts will start. He didn't think that discounts would go greater than 50%.

As for impressive discounting. Any time I can walk in to a B&M and meet or beat DDD pricing is impressive to me. Also keep in mind that the sticker price isn't necessarily the actual low price. I've had a few discs that stickered $14.99 ring up at $9.99, and then get 40% off of THAT ($9.99) price.
Old 03-03-06, 01:09 AM

Well...hopefully the discount will go further this weekend.
Old 03-03-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
My Suncoast posted a sign yesterday saying 10 days left. Them and Sam Goody are also selling all their fixtures and displays as well.
Old 03-03-06, 10:10 AM

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that some stores will close sooner, depending on when their leases expire. Unless they go to a deeper discount, I doubt I'd make another drive to the closest Sam Goody. Maybe the buy-out affected their plans. But according to this article...

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...22/1079/NEWS01

Maybe they are just taking their sweet time.
Old 03-03-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my store was also selling fixtures as well. also made quite a profit as if you buy 4 or more items, its 40% off
today i got
strange days
cannibal the musical
land of the dead
team america

and after all of the replay points i had (35 bucks worth) i ended up only paying 5.95 for everything.
Old 03-03-06, 10:30 PM

My Sam Goody is closing on the 12th.

I find it strange how gullible people are. So many people there were buying stuff saying I can't believe its 40% off. One guy grabbed 24 season 1(priced at 60) and was like, oh I hope they have firefly. I told him, its $20 on amazon, to which he replied, yeah but its 40% off here. Of course then I said, well it would be $50 here, so even with the discount it would be $30. He didn't care to listen to me and went on searching for "bargains." I would have told him that 24 was on sale at Target for $20, but I guess he thinks paying $36 is a better deal because its 40% off.
Old 03-03-06, 11:40 PM

I honestly think there are hordes of internet-handicapped people who simply feel that the "bargain" lies in the fact that it's there, for the taking, and the psychological impact of "40% OFF" induces gullibility...it's cheaper than it was last time they were at the mall, goldurn it!

Amazon is a jungle, what is a website?

Some folks just refuse to shop online. I worked at the public library for several years, and was amazed at the reluctance of some people to give ANY information about themselves to "the man on the other side of the computer", for example, even when trying to help people set up a free webmail account through Yahoo, or something of that nature.

Or maybe some people believe that being able to have it in your hands for $30 NOW is worth it more than spending $20, waiting a week or two, and worrying about it getting lost in transit, etc.

It's almost like the type of homo sapien that Sam Goody was going after was "primitive consumer" and "young naive consumer", while the sort of person who frequents this board might be described "educated consumer", and perhaps that is why the gentleman at Sam Goody didn't quite comprehend Obi-Jon's very logical suggestion.
Old 03-04-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Jon Kenobi
My Sam Goody is closing on the 12th.

I find it strange how gullible people are. So many people there were buying stuff saying I can't believe its 40% off. One guy grabbed 24 season 1(priced at 60) and was like, oh I hope they have firefly. I told him, its $20 on amazon, to which he replied, yeah but its 40% off here. Of course then I said, well it would be $50 here, so even with the discount it would be $30. He didn't care to listen to me and went on searching for "bargains." I would have told him that 24 was on sale at Target for $20, but I guess he thinks paying $36 is a better deal because its 40% off.
Lol. I have a co-worker who is exactly like this. He's always bragging about some "deal" he found at Wal-Mart or BestBuy, and when I point out that he could have gotten it even cheaper at DDD, he acts like that doesn't count. The latest one was how he found Fargo, Silence of the Lambs and something else at GameStop in their B2G1F. Wow! For $3 LESS you can get all three brand-new without the beat-to-hell cases/coverart and scratched up discs at DDD. What a dumbass.
Old 03-04-06, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by thedarktroll
Some folks just refuse to shop online. I worked at the public library for several years, and was amazed at the reluctance of some people to give ANY information about themselves to "the man on the other side of the computer", for example, even when trying to help people set up a free webmail account through Yahoo, or something of that nature.
People are afraid of what they don't understand. They're afraid of "hackers" stealing their credit card number, but don't think twice about handing it over to a high school kid in the checkout line. *sigh* About 10 years ago, there was a big ring of stolen credit card information at Dayton's. Never hear about that from reputable online retailers. That's because nobody actually SEES that info; transactions are handled automatically.

Oh well, more deals for us.
Old 03-04-06, 07:26 PM

At my local Suncoast, I picked up (in two separate visits):

Arrested Development S1
Kung Fu S1
Veronica Mars S1
Naked (Criterion)
Forbidden Games (Criterion)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (Criterion)
Videodrome (Criterion)
Shoot the Piano Player (Criterion)
Old 03-04-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These closeouts are going to bankrupt me pretty soon! I've been to three different Sam Goody stores in the past two weeks. Only two were actually closing. I haven't found a Suncoast yet that was closing. The thing that always gets me in trouble is the 70% off Christmas cds & dvds.... earlier today, I got (among MANY other things) the 2-disc SE version of A Christmas Story for $8.xx (originally $26.99 by SG's prices). Last week, I got Diana Krall and Jane Monheit's Christmas cds for only $4.xx each! When will the madness end?!?!?!
Old 03-05-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bwsmom
These closeouts are going to bankrupt me pretty soon! I've been to three different Sam Goody stores in the past two weeks. Only two were actually closing. I haven't found a Suncoast yet that was closing. The thing that always gets me in trouble is the 70% off Christmas cds & dvds.... earlier today, I got (among MANY other things) the 2-disc SE version of A Christmas Story for $8.xx (originally $26.99 by SG's prices). Last week, I got Diana Krall and Jane Monheit's Christmas cds for only $4.xx each! When will the madness end?!?!?!
My Sam Goody had MORE DVD's in the 70's off rack today! They weren't there in my previous trips. Nothing that I wanted, that I hadn't bought already. I just thought it was strange. Where did they come from? I'm talking about a LOT of DVD's, not just stuff that could have been misfiled...
Old 03-05-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^more than likely it was the leftovers from another store that had already closed
Old 03-05-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Meh. I was in there yesterday and all of the DVD's I cared about were gone. I did get 4 really cool posters though:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Saw
Saw II

I got them for 50% lowest price which was $6.99. I got them all for around $14. Not bad.
Old 03-05-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
^more than likely it was the leftovers from another store that had already closed
That could be. One of my Sam Goody's disappeared quickly without a clearance sale. It had happened several weeks prior, but maybe it took a while for them to go through their inventory, or didn't have the space before.
Old 03-05-06, 09:45 PM

Well. it looks like they are closing some stores right now. In DFW, those malls with BOTH a Suncoast and Sam Goody are closing the Suncoast in 7 days (last open day is Saturday, with Sunday being for those picking up fixtures, according to one of the employees, I think Manager, that I overheard). Both of these Suncoasts had BIG "Last 7 Days" signs up. In DFW, the malls are Willow Bend and StoneBriar (Frisco).

I also went to Valley View and Collin Creek and those Suncoasts are STILL open and have no closing in X days signs.

Now all the still open, but not closing in X days stores, have DVD's at 40% and signs say "Everything 40% to 50%" Don't know if they will go down more before closing on Saturday, but this could be an indication if they will go lower.

The other Suncoasts and Sam Goody's I went to, still were 30% to 50% with the Buy 4, get 40% off. Also at most of these stores, the Christmas stuff was still quite large and still 70% (where I picked up a few). And they still had some godd IMHO ones left, like Miracle on 34th Street (both old BW and remake) and some A Christmas Carol's versions.

But the funny thing was that only one of these stores, including those labelled "last x days," was really getting cleaned out. Only the one in Collin Creek actually was getting bare, about half the store was empty and cornered off. The TV Box sets were over half gone too. And this store is still at the 30% to 50% Buy 4 for 40% off.

Who knows ? The Shadow Knows !

So some are closing and maybe consolidating then. Also most stores had "tons" of Seinfeld left, especially S5 and S6.
Old 03-06-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Heh, my local Suncoast that is going out of business not only had a ton of the Seinfeld DVDs, but a million of the Bewitched remake DVDs (why they bought so many DVDs of that turkey in the first place is one of life's greatest mysteries).

Regards,
Christopher H.
Old 03-06-06, 04:41 AM
HTN

Same here, my local Suncoast seems to have in abundance the Betwitched remake, Matrix (all 3 movies), and War of the World (Tom Cruise). They must have received them from another store because I have not seen them before until now.

I'm not sure if anyone here has checked out their used DVD section, but even those prices are outrageous. I found a couple of Star Trek CE movies for about $17.99 or $10.79 after 40% off used DVDs. Their brand new Star Trek CE movies are selling for $19.99, a $2 savings for a used DVDs. DDD is selling them for $13.79 or $11.03 with the usual 20% off sale. Needless to say, I'll revisit the used section when it hits the Christmas level 70% sale.
Old 03-06-06, 08:38 AM
CTH

I stopped by the Sam Goody in the Garden State Plaza on Friday and everything was still 30% off or 40% off if you buy 4 or more. I am mainly interested in picking up a few CDs but was waiting for the price to drop a little more to make it worth my while. I did notice something odd though. One CD I was thinking about getting was priced at $15.99 when I checked last Monday. When I went back in on Friday I noticed that $17.99 sticker had clearly been placed over the $15.99 sticker. I checked a 2nd CD and noticed the same thing. Seems kind of shady to me.
Old 03-06-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
I remember a Sam Goody closing in Houston a couple of years ago and the last day it was 90% off everything the last day. I loaded up on cd's to re-sell and made a killing. I wasn't aware of the closing and just happened to roll into the store in the early afternoon. Wished I would have known as I would have been there at opening. The employee told me that people were leaving with arm loads and probably some stuff I would have taken if I had gotten there at opening.
Old 03-06-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the Sam Goody near me is clearing out everything, including their fixtures, which included 42" Plasma TVs for $1000. they had about 8 of them in-store on the walls. I checked them all closely, but couldn't find one withouth some slight burn-in. too bad, because I would have jumped at that price.
Old 03-06-06, 03:40 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do the closing stores still accept gift cards as method of payment?
Old 03-06-06, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by eau
Do the closing stores still accept gift cards as method of payment?

Yes...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.