DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   DDD 20% Off Sale Nov. 11-19 (STARTED ALREADY! GO BUY!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/444176-ddd-20%25-off-sale-nov-11-19-started-already-go-buy.html)

perigee 11-10-05 02:21 PM

price hikes

Originally Posted by jamieoni
So far my wish list is safe, but I am not chasing some of the more popular items. One friend of mine noted that he checked prices at dvdpricesearch.com and that they are cached and not updated live. He tested on LOST, got the old price on price seach, and then clicked over using their link...sure enough, gone up. So, it can be a good way to know what you're looking at.

Rather than tracking individual price hikes - since they're likely to be ongoing - I intend to do a price comparison for each item as it goes into my shopping cart. I'll only buy DVDs that are significantly cheaper at DDD than through other online retailers. It's not worth worrying about price history. Savings at the time of purchase is what counts.

DDD's 20% off sale was a really great promotion in the past. What made it so attractive was its uniformity and simplicity. You didn't have to consider price 'adjustments' and bait and switch tactics. Now it's generating negative publicity. If these sales are costing DDD too much revenue, it might be better to discontinue them than resort to trickery. :sarcasm:

jiggyblau 11-10-05 02:21 PM

EDIT: again, standing corrected. Thanks for clarifying DDD and thanks for changing at least some prices back. I'm hopefully picking up House MD for a Christmas gift.

SkullOrchard 11-10-05 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by DeepDiscountDVD
Dear DVDTalkers,

I want to address some of the posts here.

In making a few changes on our site today we have had a few issues and some of you have seen errors or problems with your logins and wishlist errors. We also uploaded some incorrect data files which accounts for some of the pricing changes you have seen...both up and down. All of the site issues are corrected now.

We are also in the process of correcting the data and it will be restored shortly. However, prices on our site change every day, both up and down. So you will see some prices that change based on our normal course of business, again both up and down. We do not specifically change prices in anticipation of this sale...we never have. I believe that our history proves this. We remain true to our lowest guaranteed pricing message.

As always we are excited about bringing this sale to you, especially to everyone in this forum as you have always been very loyal to us.

Thank you again for your business.

Sincerely,
David Barker

The Avengers 'Emma Peel' megaset has just jumped from $74.xx to $137.89, roughly a $63.00 price increase. The Saint megaset jumped from $59.xx to $119.00, a $60.00 price increase.

THOSE PRICES HAVE NEARLY DOUBLED. A 90%-100% PRICE INCREASE SEEMS REASONABLE TO YOU?!?

Al_Tahoe 11-10-05 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
Thanks for the post David. Always nice to hear straight from the source.

I agree. Unfortunately, what he posted was complete hogwash, IMHO.

Lemdog 11-10-05 02:25 PM

Well if the prices drop back down after the sale I will not be taking advantage of this anymore.

PaulNJ21 11-10-05 02:26 PM

The Dick Van Dyke Show Season 5 went up from $46 and change to $51.19.

Paul

exharrison 11-10-05 02:26 PM

I honestly thought that their history showed that they did jack some prices specifically for this sale.

bookcase3 11-10-05 02:28 PM

I'm a newbie who just added some titles to my wish list this morning, and now some have gone up. I suppose I could get mad, but instead I'll just order from DDD what is a considerable savings and purchase the rest elsewhere. What other option do I have?

Geist 11-10-05 02:28 PM

Another thing to keep an eye on is items disappearing from your wish list.

It's strange to me that they continue to list things like THE BAD KIDS boxset, which they have cancelled immediately every time I've ordered it over the past two years, yet I just noticed that the GATCHAMAN collections have vanished from the site.

Doughboy 11-10-05 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by exharrison
I honestly thought that their history showed that they did jack some prices specifically for this sale.

Not to this degree. Believe me, there's no way I would've spent the kind of jack I did on their last two 20% off sales had they raised prices right before.

Damed 11-10-05 02:29 PM

I'm not done watching some of the stuff I bought at their LAST sale yet!

gbub 11-10-05 02:32 PM

A couple of things I had wanted, Cinderella went from $17.89 to $21.59, Firefly went from $29.89 to $36.59. Any savings are negligible now.

It's interesting David says prices go "both up and down" yet no one has seen prices on anything go down.

musick 11-10-05 02:33 PM

http://dvdpricesearch.com/

tonyc3742 11-10-05 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Well this is lame. All the hype for this DDD sale and now no one wants to buy a thing. Pretty lame with the price hikes, but they run the show. The average person (or 90% of their customers) won't even notice increased prices.

That's true, but the average person probably doesn't spend $200-$2000+, or work on wishlists all year long in preparation. I guess they're hoping the 'Average Joes' purchase of 2-4 titles, at the higher prices [because many of them don't frequent places that might discuss the codes], will outweigh our purchases.

fuzzbox 11-10-05 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
The Avengers 'Emma Peel' megaset has just jumped from $74.xx to $137.89, roughly a $63.00 price increase.

well, right there you can call them on their "lowest price guaranteed" claim. Amazon has it at $100 with free shipping.

Regardless, these adjustments do seem to be coming at a pretty convenient time. Maybe they should be spending the resources to make sure their servers will be able to handle the load that wll come from the sale... I wonder if THAT will be an issue this time..

-jason

graffetti 11-10-05 02:34 PM

Thanks for posting this. :)

exharrison 11-10-05 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Not to this degree. Believe me, there's no way I would've spent the kind of jack I did on their last two 20% off sales had they raised prices right before.

No, but the faq says that a lot of new stuff went up but was still a deal. Now, the response from DDD is that "our history shows that we do not raise prices in anticipation of this sale". Which seems to be a flat-out lie. Maybe they didn't raise prices unreasonably, but I thought the general consensus is that they raised some prices specifically for this.

tonyc3742 11-10-05 02:36 PM

Agreed--'normal price fluctuations', sure. 20-60% is not 'normal' except on Ebay.
And has anyone found a price that went *down*?
If prices go up and down, it's a 'fluctuation'. If prices only go up, it's an 'increase.'

PerryD 11-10-05 02:36 PM

I think what is happening is that a lot of the lower prices they were offering were price-matching done to sales from other sites. In preparation of their 20% sale, they are removing the pricematching prices, so a lot of the prices are going up. As someone mentioned earlier, they would lose their shirt pricematching a loss-leader and then offering another 20% off on top of it.

GaryO 11-10-05 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by exharrison
Why would they do that? A wishlist isn't any sort of commitment to buy or sell.

I was just reacting out of frustration, and trying to think of a good will gesture on the part of DDD to many of their long time customers (of which I am one). I realize my "out loud thinking" wasn't practical, just the function of irritation.

BTW, add me to the list of those that don't buy DDD's explanation of the price increases. That's just not a tenable answer.

Gary

P.S. As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I too have seen the "Gatchaman" titles disappearing, Geist. That's really a bummer.

hurricane 11-10-05 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeepDiscountDVD
Dear DVDTalkers,

I want to address some of the posts here.

In making a few changes on our site today we have had a few issues and some of you have seen errors or problems with your logins and wishlist errors. We also uploaded some incorrect data files which accounts for some of the pricing changes you have seen...both up and down. All of the site issues are corrected now.

We are also in the process of correcting the data and it will be restored shortly. However, prices on our site change every day, both up and down. So you will see some prices that change based on our normal course of business, again both up and down. We do not specifically change prices in anticipation of this sale...we never have. I believe that our history proves this. We remain true to our lowest guaranteed pricing message.

As always we are excited about bringing this sale to you, especially to everyone in this forum as you have always been very loyal to us.

Thank you again for your business.

Sincerely,
David Barker

All I can say hmmmmm seems like too much of coincidence in my opinion that they've had so many price increases the day before the 20% off sale starts.
By the way I haven't seen anyone post "any" prices decreases today.

exharrison 11-10-05 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD
I think what is happening is that a lot of the lower prices they were offering were price-matching done to sales from other sites. In preparation of their 20% sale, they are removing the pricematching prices, so a lot of the prices are going up. As someone mentioned earlier, they would lose their shirt pricematching a loss-leader and then offering another 20% off on top of it.

Either the faq or someone else said they would pricematch and then do 20% off. Not pricematching $10 dvds, instead selling them for $20 - 20% is not the lowest guaranteed price.

arsmith7 11-10-05 02:39 PM

I was really backing DDD on this until the post they made here. A little admission ... yeah, we have to set some stuff back to a normal price for the sale or we lose too much... would have been awesome. Instead of a, more or less, skirting around the truth.

And now I finally see Firefly at $36 and change. Not sure why it took longer for me. In any case, I'm still buying it because I have been planning on it for so long.

Legolas 11-10-05 02:44 PM

I've had a few box sets in my wishlist, but don't remember what their prices were when I put them in. Is there a way to find out DDD's older prices?

bookcase3 11-10-05 02:44 PM

Well, one item in my wish list was Scrubs Season 2, which was increased to $31.xx -- now it has gone back down to $27.xx. This would be very welcome news if it sticks...