Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$4.88 Universal DVDs at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lberkoski
Any stores in the MD/VA area - Annapolis, Baltimore or Washington?
Richmond. See above.
Old 11-04-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lberkoski
Any stores in the MD/VA area - Annapolis, Baltimore or Washington?
Baltimore. See above.
Old 11-05-05, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, OP (and others for updating list...I didn't see anything on original post so quit checking until a couple of days ago). Managed to find everything I wanted including FLETCH, THE PLAINSMAN, FAR & AWAY, CAPE FEAR, SOMEWHERE IN TIME, & FOR LOVE OF THE GAME. Lots of other good titles available, but you have to dig. The display is an incredible example of incompetence...one cannot get to the copies in the middle...access to them is blocked by the cardboard partitions (these copies must be for restocking purposes but can't figure out how even the employees get to them). Fortunately, my wife loves a challenge, so I used my long arms to reach in and retrieve them (reaching from the open side of the display...still had to "fish them out"). Handed them to wife who put all the unwanted copies out for customers to see. This method allowed us to see about 80% of the "hidden copies" in the middle. Many multiples of movies (including FLETCH)...can't figure out WalMart's strategy in keeping these from the customers. Being afraid that the promotion would end soon (before the "hidden" copies were ever put out in the front trays), went ahead and got all I needed plus a couple of iffy titles.
Old 11-05-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, I just went through all 12 pages to see what others have found. I was at my local Wal-Mart last night to get blank CDs and I saw all these. I grabbed Mo Better Blues for my brother but I'm going back to see if I can find Galaxy Quest I loved that movie, I'll head out to a different Wal-Mart also to take a look too
Old 11-05-05, 04:09 PM

For those interested, the Walmart in Owings Mills, MD finally put their display out (not sure how long ago because it's been four days since I last checked) and it was not picked thru very much and every title mentioned here except Weird Science was there. I could only pick up the top tier so I only got Fletch (saw at least four more copies left) and Bulletproof.
Old 11-05-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kingtopher
You're right. Went back today and it was gone. Thats quite strange. Also gone was the big CD display and the big Star Wars display that were both right next to it. Let me know if you find it anywhere else.
JACKPOT!

Went back up to North Windam today, and they had 'em - although not in the cardboard display. They were set up on an endcap, with a big $4.88 sign over them. I almost walked right past them, because I was looking for the red cardboard dump. Got all the other movies I was looking for, except Galaxy Quest, which I was going to pick up for my brother-inlaw for Christams. And yes, they had many copies of Cape Fear ('62) - I hid 2 copies on the bottom shelf/row, lying down behind the other DVD's for you.

To find where they are in the store...
- Even though it's essentially one big store, there are two main entrances - one on the right for the grocery store, and one on the left for the regular store.
- Take the left entrance, and walk straight down the center aisle to the back, where you will find the video/electronics department. When you get to it, hang a right, and walk down that center aisle.
- Just after you get end of that dept., on the left hand side, you should see the display on the endcap. It'll be right before it turns into the shoes/clothes dept.
- look behind the facing DVD's on the bottom row to you left. Viola!

If you've never been to the store, it's on RT 302, in the center of downtown North Windham. If you're heading north from the greater Portland area, it's going to be on your left hand side, at the intersection where Mcdonalds is. It's set back from the road behind McD's, but by that point you should either see it, or the sign.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In NE Atlanta, I checked out the Lilburn Wal-Mart (corner of 29 and Pleasant Hill), and hit paydirt!

I picked up 10 titles, and an extra copy of Fletch for a stocking stuffer next month.

This Wal-Mart also had that inscrutible DVD display that pretty much protected the inner DVDs from any bit of light or air.

I also noticed that may of these $4.88 Universal DVDs ended up in the 2 for $11 Dump Bin near the cash registers, so that's worth a look as well.

Last edited by Patman; 11-06-05 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
JACKPOT!

Went back up to North Windam today, and they had 'em - although not in the cardboard display. They were set up on an endcap, with a big $4.88 sign over them. I almost walked right past them, because I was looking for the red cardboard dump. Got all the other movies I was looking for, except Galaxy Quest, which I was going to pick up for my brother-inlaw for Christams. And yes, they had many copies of Cape Fear ('62) - I hid 2 copies on the bottom shelf/row, lying down behind the other DVD's for you.

- Even though it's essentially one big store, there are two main entrances - one on the right for the grocery store, and one on the left for the regular store.
- Take the left entrance, and walk straight down the center aisle to the back, where you will find the video/electronics department. When you get to it, hang a right, and walk down that center aisle.
- Just after you get end of that dept., on the left hand side, you should see the display on the endcap. It'll be right before it turns into the shoes/clothes dept.

If you've never been to the store, it's on RT 302, in the center of downtown North Windham. If you're heading north from the greater Portland area, it's going to be on your left hand side, at the intersection where Mcdonalds is. It's set back from the road behind McD's, but by that point you should either see it, or the sign.

Good luck!
Thanks so much! I will be heading there tomorrow morning, and hopefully will find the hidden Cape Fear DVD still there. I definitely appreciate it.
Old 11-05-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't see Cape Fear at the Lilburn Wal-Mart (but then again, since the innards of that damnable display as secure as Fort Knox, maybe there were some Cape Fears, but I sure couldn't find out). I was bummed to only come across Full-screen version of "Love, Actually".

I almost bought Virus and EdTV just for their dts audio tracks, but decided against it at the time.
Old 11-05-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, my Wal-Mart had the display dismantled and what was left was on an endcap by the registers. There was still a lone copy of Fletch I almost bought to hold onto and maybe sell later, but I figured I'd just let someone else get it.
Old 11-06-05, 01:18 AM

A few Walmarts in my area have several stacks of these displays. I have seen plenty of Fletch DVDs but as others have said, I too have no time to fuss with Ebay to try to pawn off the stupid thing, and I absolutely LOATHE Chevy Chase, the pompus, no talent jackpole! So I could not bear purchasing one of his films and getting stuck with it. I didn't go overboard, mainly because there were other retailers that had better deals to take advantage of before this Walmart one, However, I did walk with:
Spy Game
Mask (DC)
Duel
Weird Science (Paxton's "Chet rules!!)
and dropped the extra couple coins to get Naked Gun 33 1/3 ("Remind me next year NOT to invite Phil Donahue!")

Next Week, I'll try to pick up Batteries Not included, Bride of Chucky, Reality Bites, Battlestar Galatica, Cape Fear(if I can find it), & the Babe
Old 11-06-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there a Widescreen version of "Duel"? All I saw were 4x3 versions.
Old 11-06-05, 10:39 AM
Cool New Member

Only in 4x3 ratio. It was a made for tv movie in the 70's. Great thriller!
js
Old 11-06-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Duel is a tv movie and was shot full frame so no...

Last edited by Cameron; 11-06-05 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-06-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great! Looking forward to checking out Duel, and the price was definitely right!
Old 11-06-05, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
JACKPOT!

Good luck!
Just wanted to say thanks again. I found the two copies of Cape Fear you put back there quite easily. I grabbed one of those as well as Out of Africa to justify the drive up there. I was surprised how many movies were still there. Oh, I did see a couple of copies of Galaxy Quest there, if you happen to be back in that area in the next couple of days.
Old 11-06-05, 02:15 PM

you can add Major Payne to the list, the 2 walmarts I've been to in the past week had more copies of that than any other... also saw a few TimeCop 2's. about The Paper... I only found a FF copy, was there ever a widescreen release?

Last edited by bat115; 11-06-05 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-06-05, 03:19 PM

I didn't see any major paynes, wish I did though I'd pick it up that movie was hilarious.
Old 11-06-05, 04:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
My Walmart had at least two dozen of the red boxes stacked on top of each other, I managed to dig out Ma & Pa Kettle volumes 1 & 2.
Old 11-06-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Thanks so much! I will be heading there tomorrow morning, and hopefully will find the hidden Cape Fear DVD still there. I definitely appreciate it.
You're quite welcome - I hope you got it. There were still other copies amidst the regular display - so you should have found at least one, anyway.
Old 11-07-05, 12:13 AM

To the ones that are having trouble with the red boxes stacked up on top of one another. I just asked for help from an employee and we took each large box down at a time so i could see what was in the middle and then when i was finished, we put it back up.
Old 11-07-05, 12:23 AM

Cool. Will check it out at the SD location.

Thanks

-R

http://www.robwontonsd.blogspot.com/
Old 11-07-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

still no luck at the tulsa store on lewis in front of ORU...

But i see titles in these list i want...so hopefully soon.

Just a thought on Fletch...nothing to back it. it may be back in print. Universal re-released a few catalog titles last month with no notice. I know parenthood was brought back, though it is still full frame.

i assume this will run throught the holiday and be even cheaper black friday...2.88 mabe
Old 11-07-05, 01:55 AM

Updated list of $4.88 Universal Studios/Wal-mart DVDs

Here is the updated list. DVDTalkers have now identified 91 titles in this promotion. Seven (7) additional titles have been identified since the last update. These new additions are in bold type.
  • Babe, The
  • Batteries Not Included
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
  • Blood Work
  • Brewster's Millions
  • Bride of Chucky
  • Broken Silence
  • Bulletproof
  • Cape Fear (1961)
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin
  • Chamber, The
  • Child's Play 2
  • Contender, The
  • Crazy Little Thing
  • Death Becomes Her
  • Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
  • Dudley Do-Right
  • Duel (TV movie so FS is OAR)
  • Edtv (collectors and DTS versions)
  • Emperor's Club, The
  • Far and Away
  • Fletch
  • For Love of the Game (Costner)
  • Frances the Talking Mule (4-pack collection)
  • Galaxy Quest
  • Gorillas in the Mist
  • Guru, The (Heather Graham & Marissa Tomei)
  • Heart & Souls
  • Hitcher II, The
  • How to Be A Player
  • Hulk, The (Bill Bixby -- first episodes)
  • Jaws 2
  • Jaws the Revenge
  • Josie and the Pussycats (full screen -- edited for family)
  • K-9: P.I.
  • Killing Emmett Young
  • Kindergarten Cop (full screen)
  • King Ralph
  • Kiss Before Dying
  • K-Pax
  • Kull the Conquerer
  • Lonely Guy
  • Love Actually (full screen) (ws spotted)
  • Ma & Pa Kettle -- Volume 1
  • Ma & Pa Kettle -- Volume 2
  • MacArthur
  • Madigan (Henry Fonda)
  • Major Payne
  • Man on the Moon
  • Mask: Director's Cut
  • Mo' Better Blues
  • More American Graffitti
  • Mummy (animated)
  • Musketeer, The
  • Nurse Betty
  • October Sky (SE and reg)
  • One Night At McCool's
  • One True Thing
  • Out of Africa
  • Paper, The
  • Plainsman, The
  • Playing for Keeps
  • Psycho CE (1998 remake)
  • Raising Cain
  • Reality Bites (10th Ann)
  • Red Dragon CE
  • River Wild, The
  • Rocky + Bullwinkle (DeNiro)
  • Skulls
  • Skulls II
  • Skulls III
  • Slapshot 2
  • Sneakers (standard edition)
  • Somewhere in Time
  • Splitting Heirs
  • Spy Game (CE)
  • Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
  • Talk Radio
  • TimeCop (full screen)
  • TimeCop 2
  • Trading Places
  • Tremors
  • Tremors 4
  • Truth About Charlie, The
  • Underneath
  • Very Bad Things
  • Virus (WS, DTS)
  • Watcher, The
  • Weird Science
Old 11-07-05, 08:13 AM
Cool New Member

I saw Black Dog (Patrick Swayze & Meatloaf) last night also. But just picked up Fletch and Duel. Sweet deal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.