Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got:
King Ralph
The Watcher
October Sky SE
Duel
Old 11-07-05, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another addition: spotted Real McCoy (Kim Basinger & Val Kilmer)
Old 11-07-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Just wanted to say thanks again. I found the two copies of Cape Fear you put back there quite easily. I grabbed one of those as well as Out of Africa to justify the drive up there. I was surprised how many movies were still there. Oh, I did see a couple of copies of Galaxy Quest there, if you happen to be back in that area in the next couple of days.
Cool, I might being heading back that way again tomorrow - so I'll keep an eye out. Glad you found your movie.
Old 11-07-05, 02:06 PM

any sighting of galaxy quest DTS?
Old 11-07-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Finally found a walmart that had the display. Got the following:
Fletch
EdTV (DTS)
For the love of the game
Duel
Musketeer
Man on the moon
Red Dragon (WS)
Sneakers

I'm going to try and hit a super walmart tomorrow.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 11-07-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 07:28 PM

in some of these dvds, I've found 'Business Reply Mail Cards' are they worth filling out even if it says 1999
Old 11-08-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Discguy, thanks for the list. If you do another update, you might want to add that The Truth About Charlie also has anamorphic Charade on the flipside.
Old 11-08-05, 10:03 PM

I finally found this display at my local wally world.
Reality Bites 10th and Weird Science for $4.88 a piece.........SOLD!

Now I just need to find Duel.
Old 11-09-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Just wanted to point out that Ma & Pa Kettle Vol. 2 does NOT have an insert, even though it has a pocket on the cover for one. I already checked 3 copies to confirm this. Vol. 1 does have an insert with summaries of the movies on it, as does the Francis The Talking Mule disc.
Old 11-09-05, 12:58 PM

The Wal-Mart's in and around Dayton, OH, seem to be intent on either not putting these out, or hiding them. The Super Wal-Mart on Wilmington Pike had two big boxes of them about halfway between the food section and the electronics department. The only thing I was really intent on getting was Fletch, so, of course, they didn't have it. The Wal-Mart in Beavercreek doesn't seem to have gotten them in, or at least hadn't put them out as of Monday. I went to the one in Huber Heights today, and they were at the front of the store, behind the Ghostbusters display. The only reason I realized what they were was because I recognized one of the titles from the side. My wife and I looked through two stacks of boxes (out of 4, IIRC), and found a single copy of Fletch, which was plenty for me.
Old 11-09-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up Cape Fear and Fletch yesterday

Ive noticed different stores put these in vastly different places... these were in the front of the store
Old 11-09-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just wanted to point out that Ma & Pa Kettle Vol. 2 does NOT have an insert, even though it has a pocket on the cover for one. I already checked 3 copies to confirm this. Vol. 1 does have an insert with summaries of the movies on it, as does the Francis The Talking Mule disc.
The Map & Pa Kettle Vol. 2 I got back when it was released did have an insert.
Old 11-09-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I FINALLY FOUND FLETCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank fricking god. Well, I don't know if all of the displays have Fletch in the exact same location or not. But this was a newly put out display. FLetch was on the 2nd tray from the top, toward the left side (I believe 2nd column, possibly 3rd), and 2nd section in. I was able to reach it from the front by moving the DVD's in the front section and pulling the cardboard down to reach the next section. There were 2 copies... It woulda been easier to lift the top tray up, but it was completely full...
Old 11-09-05, 11:21 PM

I'll update the list again soon....but I did find one more addition to let you know about now. Multiple copies of Rock My World with Peter O'Toole & Alicia Silverstone were spotted in a new display being set up in North Atlanta.

To Lokimok: I'll add your Charade note to The Truth About Charlie listing.

Can anyone verify Death Becomes Her?
Old 11-09-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can confirm that Death Becomes Her is included.
Old 11-10-05, 12:45 AM

Yes, I've seen Death Becomes Her in various locations...but ONLY in full-frame---which is the only way it's been released, if I'm not mistaken, and that's a crying shame. But does anybody know if the transfer is open-matte, as opposed to pan-and-scan?
Old 11-10-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

thedarktroll,

Once upon a time I compared the widescreen LD of Death Becomes Her (which I still have) and the current DVD. While my memory has faded after all these years, I believe the special effects shots may be cropped a bit, but everything else is open matte. I could be wrong, but I think it's better than a pure guess. I passed on the DVD at $4.88.
Old 11-10-05, 07:15 PM

my local niles il almart had that display out for 1 week, i went there today the display is gone. They put some of the $4.88 dvds within the bin of death that's marked $5.50. I hate it. I'm gonna write a complain to walmart regarding the "dump" bin that they use for $5.50 DVDs
Old 11-10-05, 08:56 PM

I'll be going back tomorrow or the weekend. I hate the display, it's hard to lift the top layer off to get to the good stuff. People are ripping at the bottom layers from the sides. I saw Fletch, but passed on it. Tried watching it on cable a few times and couldn't get into it. I hope to get Duel and Galaxyquest. Maybe a few others.
Old 11-10-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found lots to buy and got FLETCH also.

There are 3 more Fletch at the Oak Ridge TN WalMart.
Old 11-10-05, 09:32 PM
Suspended

I've been to 5 Walmarts and no Fletch if there is another $4.88 dvd someone has been looking maybe we can do a trade!!!!!!!!!!!! Please let me know I saw somewhere someone was looking for Duel and I can get that if they can get fletch.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bigt7117
I've been to 5 Walmarts and no Fletch if there is another $4.88 dvd someone has been looking maybe we can do a trade!!!!!!!!!!!! Please let me know I saw somewhere someone was looking for Duel and I can get that if they can get fletch.

Thanks in advance
If I get back over that way, I will buy what I find and trade with other DVDTALKers. I don't know when i will get over there though since I am going out of town tomorrow. I will see what I can do by Monday. If someone else wants to help out please do as it is a gamble whether I will find them again.
Old 11-10-05, 10:23 PM
Suspended

I'll take 1 more look at my walmarts this weekend and then I'll probably start begging!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-05, 04:49 AM
Cool New Member

The Walmart in Woodburn, Oregon just put the display out the other day. It's by register 31. Hasn't been shop that much. Plenty of everything.
Old 11-11-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My Walmart had the $4.88 Universal display out the very first day people mentioned the sale here, but I went yesterday and the display was gone. I was told they all got dumped into the 2 $5.50 bins which are always so full (and mostly of the same old titles) that I can't stand to look through them. So it's as good as over at my Walmart, but fortunately I had gotten/found everything I wanted from the list before. I've learned to buy first and decide later within the 90 day return policy.

I asked about the $3.44 Black Friday sale DVDs, and the clerk had heard about it but either didn't know or wouldn't say which titles would be $3.44 except that it would not be the $5.50 titles already in the bin. I found that surprising. My Walmart has such a limited selection I can't imagine what they'd fill it with if it's not budget titles. They pretty much have the latest mainstream releases (i.e. not things like Kolchak The Night Stalker) or much older titles on discount and not too much in between.

What I do know is that the crowd around the $3.44 bin on Black Friday will probably be so hideous that I couldn't bear to go there even if they told me every DVD in the store was $3.44. I have enough trouble dealing with the bin by myself, let alone with someone else digging through it shoving his or her DVDs back into the hole I'm making. Imagine having 20+ people doing that in 1 bin. It's called chaos. The only chance we have is to find the titles out and buy them in advance, then get a price adjustment on Black Friday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.