Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVD Ads: 7/3-7/9

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JSwarce
I have the CC ad in hand and they show the new $30 Das Boot DVD (the 5 hour mini-series) in the ad for $9.99. I'm sure they meant to show the regular $15 version. I already have the Superbit, but someone might want to try and see if they honor this (or PM it)!

John
The online ad shows the 2-disc also. I'm headed there when they open. I also want to see what the other 5 movies are that are $4.99.
Old 07-03-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by david12
No one should pass up Narc for five bucks.
I second that. Fantastic movie.
Old 07-03-05, 10:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Once again, CC's prices kick BB's prices' ass.
All the more reason to actually buy them at BB, then go back within a month with the CC ad and get 110% of the difference.
Old 07-03-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the 2-disc Das Boot for 9.99. It's definitely a mistake. They had 1 copy of it compared to about 15 of the dual sided one. I even told them I agreed it was a mistake, but it is the one pictured. And I mentioned that the online ad isn't any different. So they let me have it. If you don't mind spending a few extra minutes with them, CC may cave like they did with me and give you the discount.
Old 07-03-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I picked up the Fantastic 4 comic book when I bought the $8.99 Disney movies last week,and it rang up for $14.99. Cashier had to do an override. Keep an eye on it, but I guess it's possible it rang up for that much since it probably wasn't supposed to be out last week.
They had the buy any two dvd's and save $4 promo going on too. The comic books are in there. It's a big Fantastic 4 display.
Old 07-03-05, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone see if the Gone w/ the Wind 4-Disc was pictured?
Old 07-03-05, 01:31 PM

The gone with the wind dvd in the target ad is the snapper one disc in the ad today.
I was bum out i hoped they would make the same mistake like they did with west side story.
Old 07-03-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Highfire
Anyone see if the Gone w/ the Wind 4-Disc was pictured?
No it is not.
Old 07-03-05, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I got the 2-disc Das Boot for 9.99. It's definitely a mistake. They had 1 copy of it compared to about 15 of the dual sided one. I even told them I agreed it was a mistake, but it is the one pictured. And I mentioned that the online ad isn't any different. So they let me have it. If you don't mind spending a few extra minutes with them, CC may cave like they did with me and give you the discount.
The problem is finding a B&M that has it in the store. My Best Buy nor the others have it. I did get a rain check for what it's worth.
Old 07-03-05, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
If you're willing to make the trip, go on Friday to pick up the ones you want, then return and price match them. Guarantees you get the one want. My local CC had lots of stock on the $4.99 dvds the Friday before the sale.
I went to CC this morning and they had 20-30 copies of each of the $4.99 movies. I had no trouble getting the ones I wanted. They are also giving rain checks for items they are out of.
Old 07-03-05, 06:22 PM

I lucked out, they put out the only 2-disc Das Boot dvd in the $10.00 pile. When I took it to the cash regisister the cashier did a double & triple take at the ad, but he did a price adjustment so I got it for $10.00, and I also got Narc and Basketball for $4.99 each. Now the real trick will be finding the time to watch Das Boot in one sitting.
Old 07-04-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got the das boot original uncut 2 disc for 9.99 also
Old 07-04-05, 12:15 AM

I got Clear & Present Danger:SE & Patriot Games:SE for 4.99 each.

The insert(booklet) was missing in both. Could these be used DVDs repackaged and resold by CC by any chance? The discs themselves appeared new though.

The Danger disc skips badly from the very start. Also this edition features player generated French subtitles (that appear at some scenes, like the title scene) that cannot be turned off. Not a good deal, but hey it was only 4.99.....

Last edited by Hobgoblin; 07-04-05 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-04-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin

The insert(booklet) was missing in both. Could these be used DVDs repackaged and resold by CC by any chance?
You can do a search in the covers and inserts subforum to make sure, but I know that Paramount stopped including inserts quite some time ago.

Edit: I just checked the reviews at DVD Town because they always list if a DVD includes the insert and according to them, both titles should have a glossy insert with the chapter listings.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 07-04-05 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-04-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin

The insert(booklet) was missing in both. Could these be used DVDs repackaged and resold by CC by any chance? The discs themselves appeared new though.

The Danger disc skips badly from the very start. Also this edition features player generated French subtitles (that appear at some scenes, like the title scene) that cannot be turned off. Not a good deal, but hey it was only 4.99.....
the original pressings had inserts but since Paramount stopped including inserts with DVDs, their newer pressings no longer include the inserts. Same thing with Universal DVDs.
Old 07-04-05, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. For a moment I thought, maybe they are selling PV DVDs for cheap, like Hollywood Video.

In that case, the only problem with these discs at CC that I would like to warn potential buyers about is the French subtitles that cannot be turned off. These player generated subtitles in French appear whenever a character speaks in a foreign language, for which there are burnt-in English subtitles already displayed on the film. The French player generated subtitles appear on top of the burnt-in English subtitles, partially hiding them. Maybe these are Canadian R1 discs. Buyer Beware!

The discs are skipping and pixellating, but it could be my player, though no other discs do this....

Edited to add: I took the disc out and put it back in and tried to play. Now the disc was not even readable. I took it back to CC and got it exchanged with no fuss at all. The new disc I got had an insert, and more importantly had no glitches at all. I'm happy now

Last edited by Hobgoblin; 07-04-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-04-05, 08:24 AM

Good morning Dvdtalker! I went by CC and their selection of 4.99 dvd was horrible. Should/would CC restalk this morning morning before opening? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-04-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
the original pressings had inserts but since Paramount stopped including inserts with DVDs, their newer pressings no longer include the inserts. Same thing with Universal DVDs.
Yeah I noticed quite a few from my DDD order were w/out inserts. All well.
Old 07-04-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
4 dvds for 40 bucks, i'm happy

Pulp Fiction CE
Unbreakable
Harold and Kumar
Old School

i picked up the last two at Target and for some reason i didn't look at the dvds so Old School is fullscreen, gotta go exchange it
Old 07-04-05, 06:14 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by GuitarShredder
Hmmm looks good.

Is the Harold & Kummar the unrated by any chance?

It should be...it's cheaper than the rated one anyway.
I went to Target today in St. Louis and only the rated version was marked for $10...but I took the unrated to one of their price scanners in the store and it showed $10 too.

You should be able to get the unrated for 10. Working for me.

Now, debating if I should spend more money and grab Pulp Fiction.
Old 07-04-05, 08:37 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dvdbigfan
I went to Target today in St. Louis and only the rated version was marked for $10...but I took the unrated to one of their price scanners in the store and it showed $10 too.

You should be able to get the unrated for 10. Working for me.

Now, debating if I should spend more money and grab Pulp Fiction.
Thanks a bunch!!!!
Old 07-05-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up Silverado and Stripes today. Is there a basic Silverado packaging out yet or are they all still including the playing cards & souvenir booklet? Anyways, $10 for the Silverado was a great deal I couldn't pass up.
Old 07-08-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
No ads for the new week yet????

I'm interested in the Bill & Ted boxset and the Best of He-man