Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

DEAD: $10 OFF at BARNES & NOBLE, no minimum

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DEAD: $10 OFF at BARNES & NOBLE, no minimum

Old 10-27-04, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Mulan 2-disc DVD is now IN TRANSIT. Got it from B&N for $13.96. Thanks to BKSELLR !
Old 10-27-04, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Jim
I thought it would only last a few hours, so I tried to place my order right away. Fortunately the code got buried in a generic B&N thread at FW so it didn't quite take off like it might have.
FW?
Old 10-27-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chard31
FW?
Fat Wallet.

Sorry I didn't open another account to get Gone With the Wind.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 10-27-04 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

B&N is always great with shipping, esp. for Manhattan...they do same day delivery; I think that they have messengers deliver the product. Only setback is 8.625% tax but there's nothing that you can do about that.
Old 10-27-04, 08:02 PM

Miss Peach is a Peach!
Thank you
Old 10-27-04, 09:13 PM

Thanks Peach!

I got in on this offer multiple times (used up all my email addresses) and everything has shipped with the exception of a couple pre-orders. No indication so far that these orders will be cancelled. Either way I couldn't be happier. Got some incredible deals!

Thanks again!!
Old 10-27-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I had placed a pre-order for the Gone With The Wind 4 disk set due out on November 9th. I was to get it for $31.98 minus the $10 discount equaling $21.98. This morning I noticed that the dvd was down to $27.98 on their website. I emailed them asking if they would make a price adjustment and they replied back stating that I needed to cancel the order and to reorder it for the new price. I tried to do that, but their system wouldn't accept the coupon. I called customer service and explained what I had been told to do, and they told me the coupon wasn't meant for anyone except store employees and that my pre-order wouldn't have been filled either way. I will be interested to see if anyone gets a pre-order filled having used this coupon. If so, I will raise hell with their customer service. I had no idea that the coupon was intended for store employees only. To those that ordered already released dvd's, good luck on getting your orders filled. :-(
Old 10-27-04, 10:29 PM
Banned

thnx OP; picked up...

Van Helsing 2Disc Ultimate Edition
Shawshank Redemption 2Disc Special Edition
Last Samurai 2Disc
Perfect Storm

all ended up being cheaper then they would have been everywhere else, even after DDD 20% coupon. they all currently show as being shipped today

Last edited by Nymphea; 10-27-04 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Miss Peach

Wife got Mulan SE and newbown son got Baby Noah

I got nothing since its dead now.
Old 10-27-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JackBurton
I have been informed that this coupon code was intended only for B&N employee use. Hence the name "BKSELLR" or Bookseller. Supposedly, the coupon would work if you are a BN employee and supply a store number and bookseller ID. This is what I was told over the phone.

Would have been nice to know this before hand. Definitely would have jumped on it sooner.... or avoided it, seeing as that I am not an employee (wink, wink).

Another smack to the thick skull of one who habitually hesitates. Congrats to those who got in.
FYI , NEVER call a CSR when you question a deal . It's the best and most easy way to kill a deal . IF you question it , walk away and forget it .
Old 10-27-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Lemondrop
FYI , NEVER call a CSR when you question a deal . It's the best and most easy way to kill a deal . IF you question it , walk away and forget it .
Words to live by.

It always pains me to see people talk about what CSR's said to them. These are probably the people to thank when the deal becomes dead.
Old 10-27-04, 10:54 PM
Cool New Member

So far mine still says "Open" under my order status for LOTR: ROTK EE Preorder at $17.98.

I hope it stays that way and that they honor them.
Old 10-28-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My B&N email around 5 PM on Wednesday said "Your order is now packed and ready to leave our warehouse". I hope that means they won't be able to stop or cancel it before it ships. I find it interesting how a place like Amazon will tell you no force on earth can stop an order from shipping once it enters the "shipping" phase, but if there's a price mistake I wouldn't be surprised to find out Amazon or B&N could stop it at the last minute before it leaves the warehouse if they really wanted to.

All of that aside, I was right this coupon wouldn't last long because $10 off no minimum coupons are almost unheard of now. I figured it was a legitimate general use coupon, but probably meant to have a $50 to $100 minimum. I didn't know it was for employees only, so that's probably why they cancelled it instead of just putting in the proper minimum. I've learned never to trust coupon expiration dates (such as November for this one) because the expiration date is the longest it could last, but I've seen coupons at many places disappear long before the expiration dates.

I hope people will post in this thread if their B&N preorders get cancelled or not. I almost preordered Mary Poppins, but chose Mulan because it was available now for this very reason. There were no other currently available DVDs I really wanted (obviously Gone with the Wind, Shawshank, and all these upgraded editions would be nice, but I can't afford to keep double-dipping on titles I already own). So I didn't use any of my other email addresses to use this coupon multiple times because I figured I would most likely just see my preorders cancelled. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 10-28-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Manzana
My B&N email around 5 PM on Wednesday said "Your order is now packed and ready to leave our warehouse". I hope that means they won't be able to stop or cancel it before it ships. I find it interesting how a place like Amazon will tell you no force on earth can stop an order from shipping once it enters the "shipping" phase, but if there's a price mistake I wouldn't be surprised to find out Amazon or B&N could stop it at the last minute before it leaves the warehouse if they really wanted to.
I've had a few orders at Amazon go from "shipping soon" to cancelled. But those were titles that were going OOP, and the stock ran out before they could actually ship.
Old 10-28-04, 01:37 AM

I just received an email telling me that my pre-order has been scheduled to ship on Nov 23, 2004. And that I would receive an email when it shipped. Sounds like an order confirmation to me. I guess I'll just wait & see if they honor it.
Old 10-28-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Lemondrop
For Pete's sake, the worst that's going to happen if you give it a try is they cancel the order. Why call?
Old 10-28-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Words to live by.

It always pains me to see people talk about what CSR's said to them. These are probably the people to thank when the deal becomes dead.
FYI... the deal was ALREADY dead when I called CSR not to "question" a deal, but to make a credit card payment over the phone. The code was no longer working on the website and people had already had items shipped. Posted this b/c at the time everyone was ordering in different dollar amounts like headless chickens trying to find out what the "new cut-off price" was. Just wanted to let them know that their attempts and mine were useless as the code was not intended for non-employees.

But THANK YOU for the patronizing words... dad.

Also, the deal most likely died, not from phone orders, but from more people ordering using an employee-only code in the span of a couple hours than B&N even has employees.

Last edited by JackBurton; 10-28-04 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-28-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by tofferman
Well I had placed a pre-order for the Gone With The Wind 4 disk set due out on November 9th. I was to get it for $31.98 minus the $10 discount equaling $21.98. This morning I noticed that the dvd was down to $27.98 on their website. I emailed them asking if they would make a price adjustment and they replied back stating that I needed to cancel the order and to reorder it for the new price. I tried to do that, but their system wouldn't accept the coupon. I called customer service and explained what I had been told to do, and they told me the coupon wasn't meant for anyone except store employees and that my pre-order wouldn't have been filled either way. I will be interested to see if anyone gets a pre-order filled having used this coupon. If so, I will raise hell with their customer service. I had no idea that the coupon was intended for store employees only. To those that ordered already released dvd's, good luck on getting your orders filled. :-(
Well, for your sake, I just hope that the CS is better than it was for the flooz fiasco.
Old 10-28-04, 08:19 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks Miss Peach,

Its been awhile since I've gotten in a deal this good! Was able to pick up Double Jeopardy, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Kiss The Girls, Ocean's Eleven, Clueless and Touch of Evil using a $25 Test Drive AMEX card!! I also was a little leary about using this on pre-orders, so I made sure everything was in stock, and all have already shipped out yesterday. Wahoooooo
Old 10-28-04, 08:20 AM

Just received this email:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Your order has been scheduled to ship. The details of your order appear below,
including the date your merchandise will leave our warehouse.

You selected Standard Delivery and you can expect delivery in 3-8 business days
from the date your order leaves our warehouse. (Please note: Business days are
Monday through Friday, excluding holidays observed by the Post Office.) We will
send you an email confirmation as soon as your merchandise ships. As always,
you will not be charged until this merchandise leaves our warehouse.

To check the status of your order online at any time, visit
http://www.bn.com/orderstatus.

Thank you for shopping with us.

-- Barnes & Noble.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Shipping Method: Standard Delivery
Ship Preference: Send Items As They Are Available

QTY PRICE TITLE Expected Ship Date
1 $27.98 Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King [Special
Extended Edition]
Dec 14, 2004
$27.98 Net Product
$0.00 Free Shipping
$27.98 Total Shipment Price

Order Summary:

$27.98 Total Order Price
$17.98 Credit Card
$10.00 Dollar Off Coupon
Old 10-28-04, 08:28 AM

My order of Mulan SE and a Peanuts cartoon strip book was shipped yesterday.

But how stupid is B&N for issuing a general use coupon intended for a limited group? If we've learned anything at all the past few years, it's that that strategy absolutely never works. The code hits the internet forums and it's all over then. They should have issued their employees individual coupon codes. Or better yet just give them a small raise.
Old 10-28-04, 08:39 AM

For those who had their orders shipped, when you check your order status page, is their a tracking number which links to a tracking site for all orders? On my order, I have a tracking number, but it's not a hyperlink to any tracking site.

In the past, I've received emails/order status which contain the hyperlink to the tracking service. In this case, I only have a bizarre looking tracking number (BN270001255xxx) which doesn't seem to fit any shipper's format (in this case, I chose the standard shipping, which is stated to be SMS).
Old 10-28-04, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by tofferman
I will be interested to see if anyone gets a pre-order filled having used this coupon. If so, I will raise hell with their customer service.
Those of you who are determined to kill the deal for everyone just because you didn't get in on it cool your jets. I can think of literally dozens of deals I missed over the years procrastination, just showing up too late, and even ISP problems but you certainly didn't see me jeopardizing it for those lucky people who did get the deal by calling Customer Service! This is the kind of thing that really p's me off. You're new here, tofferman, right? You'll see a number of people who also didn't get in on this deal and they graciously congratulate those of us who did. That's your model, friend. Be gracious, and I think you'll discover that there isn't a one of us here who doesn't hope that you'll be able to take advantage of the next one.

And for everyone who got this deal, if you received an email confirmation of your Pre-Order and it has the phrase "Your order has been scheduled to ship. The details of your order appear below, including the date your merchandise will leave our warehouse." and the Statement looks something like this:

QTY PRICE TITLE Expected Ship Date
1 $27.98 Gone with the Wind
Nov 09, 2004
$27.98 Net Product
$0.00 Free Shipping
$27.98 Total Shipment Price

Order Summary:

$27.98 Total Order Price
$2.98 Credit Card
$10.00 Dollar Off Coupon
$15.00 Gift Card

you should be fine. This is Barnes & Noble we're dealing with not Amazon, and not DVDEmpire, both of whom operate on very slim margins. B&N doesn't reneg on "Scheduled to Ship" confirmation emails and I will be very surprised if they did here. They may have a loss from this code, but I assure you their profit margin is generous enough that they can absorb the difference.

Quite frankly I think they make it up on me!

PEACH
Old 10-28-04, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by JackBurton
But THANK YOU for the patronizing words... dad.
Cool it.

PEACH
Old 10-28-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MISS PEACH
You're new here, tofferman, right?
Yep, he's sorta new.... almost as new as you!

Anyway, to those of you who succumbed to some irresistible urge to call BN:

BAD n00bs!

"Slowly put the phone down and back away.... punk!"

Edit: P.S. -- I received a shipping confirmation e-mail, with a working UPS tracking number, for Ren & Stimpy!

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 10-28-04 at 11:19 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.