Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by chsidwel
Just called 3 stores in Fairfax, VA and none of them are partifipating. Doesn't sound like MD/VA/DC are part of this "test" market.
I just called the two closest to me in Loudoun and neither are doing trade-ins of any kind at the moment. The guy I spoke to at one store said that Virginia has some strong laws governing trading/pawning property and that they hope to offer the trade-in program soon if they can get through that red tape.
Old 10-05-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from the store in Vernon Hills, IL:

There was a big "Trade In DVDs for $8" sign in the window, and they were excited because I was the first customer to come in with discs to trade.

First they made me sign a "trade agreement" - basically a form with my name and Blockbuster acct number.

The guy opened each case and looked at the disc, but he didn't seem to care about the case or insert (in fact, I was trading in something with a custom cover and it wasn't an issue).

He said the $8 promotion was running for a month, and then it would be a $5 minimum.

He said they were giving the minimum for any DVD "in the system", which includes lots of movies not in their stores, but doesn't include everything. They are definitely taking "bargain bin" titles, but I wouldn't bother trying the $1 Walmart DVDs.

A couple of the titles I was trading were PVD from Blockbuster originally, and had their sticker covering the UPC code. The guy just punched in the number manually.

In the end, they took all 9 DVDs I was trading, and said I could have it credited to my account, which could then only be used at that store, or have it put onto a Value Card, which can be used anywhere. Obviously I chose the latter.

As an added bonus, they even credited me $4.48 for tax.

I asked what they were doing with all the titles they're getting, and he said they'd be put out on the PVD shelves at $9.99.

Titles I traded (some unwanted, some dupes):

ST: First Contact
Auto Focus (originally bought PVD from Blockbuster)
Gone with the Wind (single disc)
Running Time
Blood Simple
MI2
Charlie's Angels (originally bought PVD from Blockbuster)
Pi
Get Shorty

All in all I've got $76.48 in credit for a bunch of movies I didn't want/need and didn't have to bother with ebay. Word!
Old 10-05-04, 11:19 AM

Traded in bargain bin junk like Running on Empty, Deathtrap, Suicide Kings, About Last Night, etc.. for 8 bucks a piece (plus tax!).
Old 10-05-04, 11:40 AM

I called 3 BB in the Annapolis, MD. area and none are taking trade ins.
Old 10-05-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well with all these people in the Midwest getting lucky, I have no doubt my store will shoot me down. I'm check two of the Champaign BBVs in t-minus 3 hours. Please let this work, heh.
Old 10-05-04, 12:12 PM

Has anyone found stores in the Philadelphia area that are participating? I checked Gray's Ferry, Passyunk, Berwyn(Swedesford Rd.) and King of Prussia, but no luck so far.

Last edited by jmoneta; 10-05-04 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 12:15 PM

I just checked with the my Blockbuster(Charlotte, NC) and they are doing the deal.

dvdsrule
Old 10-05-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Stangman68
Don't know about Eugene, but the Albany store is--big ol' "Trade in DVDs $8" sign right in the front window. Considerably closer to you than Portland, at any rate.
Don't bother with Corvallis, OR. Apparently there are city legal problems to be worked out having to do with preventing receipt of stolen goods. There is a 14 day holding period before BBV could put them up for sale and they would need to make DAILY reports to the police about all transactions. They hope to have all of this worked out by JANUARY! Fortunately as Stangman68 pointed out, Albany is doing the promotion and has no such restrictions
Old 10-05-04, 12:21 PM

I just called the BBV here in Midlothian Virginia and they are running the $8 trade in deal. YMMV but the Richmond VA metro area seems to be a go. I'll be there tonight with a half dozen DVDs.
Old 10-05-04, 12:26 PM

Just got back. Garner, NC.

They had big signs as well. The guy was excited that I brought in a bag a crappy movies. They took all 19, just checked that the discs were decent.

Its was a painless $152.00, no tax added.

Wish the new prices where a bit lower, but some prices were the same as regular stores.
Old 10-05-04, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by bhauge
Apparently there are city legal problems to be worked out having to do with preventing receipt of stolen goods.
That's what the guy here told me when he asked me to fill out the Trade Agreement form. He said it was specific to the city we were in, and said it meant if I was trading in stolen goods, the police would be coming after me, not Blockbuster.
Old 10-05-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hillsborough County in Florida has the same legal problems. They hope to have them resolved "in a few weeks."
Old 10-05-04, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RE: L.A. Area Stores

Called two in the San Gabriel Valley. The one on Fairway/Colima in Rowland Hgts. is not participating, but the Walnut BBV is.

I just went to the BBV website, typed in my zip, and took down phone #'s of local stores. Would recommend the same.

Quick question: Would it be worth the trouble to buy the $5.50 DVDs at Target and trade those in for credit? Seems like a lot of work for a couple extra dollars, but would like your opinions on it.

THANKS!

Last edited by TimeandTide; 10-05-04 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by bmello
I would still swing by and have them scan some movies. I called the store I went to and they didn't know what I was talking about but all the movies scanned in at $8.
This is essentially how it works -- most of the BB employees might not even know about the change/special as of yet. The information was sent to all store managers regarding the $8 minimum, as to the information being spread to everyone working however, may vary. Bottom line, if a store near you that you know of did the $5 minimum, call up and ask how much you can get for such and such title, if they say $8 then you're set, it's awhole lot easier than trying to explain what you're looking for.
Old 10-05-04, 12:55 PM

Re: RE: L.A. Area Stores

Originally posted by TimeandTide
Quick question: Would it be worth the trouble to buy the $5.50 DVDs at Target and trade those in for credit? Seems like a lot of work for a couple extra dollars, but would like your opinions on it.
IMO, it depends on how poor/desperate you are. If I was still a poor college student, I probably would. Basically you're spending $6 to get $8 worth of BB credit, akin to getting a $32 giftcard for only $24. If you're someone who rents there regularly or goes for their 3 for $25 deals, it might be worth the trouble.

At this point in my life, I'm glad to be above that.
Old 10-05-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: RE: L.A. Area Stores

Originally posted by TimeandTide

Well, look at it this way: you buy 2 cheapies @$5.50 each for a total of $11.00 out of pocket. Then you hand them over to BB for $16.00 store credit. So you grab a $19.95 DVD you want to buy (and of course, the BB price is $19.95) and use your $16.00 store credit - that means you have to reach in your pocket for another $4.00. Total out of pocket is $15.00 for a $19.95 DVD that you can get for less than $15.00 at many stores and at most websites.

This $8 credit is best used to unload DVDs on your shelf that you no longer want - that's it.
Old 10-05-04, 01:08 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by dvdsrule
I just checked with the my Blockbuster(Charlotte, NC) and they are doing the deal.
Which Blockbuster?
Old 10-05-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by evitagen
Hillsborough County in Florida has the same legal problems. They hope to have them resolved "in a few weeks."
That doesn't make sense, there are Pawn Shops and Used DVD stores all over that county.
Old 10-05-04, 01:42 PM

*** Plano, TX UPDATE ****

The store at Alma & Spring Creek has a HUGE sign up in their front window with the numeral $8 in giant red letters -- you can't miss it driving by. Sure enough, they gave me $8 each ($40 total) for all five dvds that I traded-in:

Batman & Robin
Strange Days
Our Man Flint
In Like Flint
Running Man SE

These were all titles that I've watched and don't have any interest in keeping. Great deal!

Also, I asked the store manager how long this promotion was going to last. She replied that its on-going: no end date. She then added that the $8 minimum was only going to last one month, just to sort of kick-off the new trade-in policy.

Mike
Old 10-05-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
SA store had the big $8 sign on the window as well. I walked out with $184 in credit.
Old 10-05-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you trade in non-movie DVDs (such as the last espisode of Friends) or does it have to be an actual full-length movie? Thanks.
Old 10-05-04, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by iamOrokoSaki
You can special order any items listed in the BB database as long as they are still in print, etc. Some items will be insanely, and I mean insanely overpriced while others are oddly quite fair, there's no rhyme or reason to their pricing methods. If I get a chance I'll try to stop in and grab a price for you on that collection if I get a chance.

I take it you work for Blockbuster, Saki? If so, any chance you could look up what their selling price will be for Spider-Man 2 Superbit version and LOTR:ROTK 4 disc extended edition?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-05-04, 02:01 PM

I don't think this deal is all that hot.

And they should stop lying by saying $8 minimum. No one here has gotten anything over $8.
Old 10-05-04, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Big Dave
Can you trade in non-movie DVDs (such as the last espisode of Friends) or does it have to be an actual full-length movie? Thanks.
I don't think there's anyway to know other than to take it in and try. The only guidelines they gave me was (1) it had to have a UPC code and (2) it has to be "in the system".

The guy that helped me said he'd be happy to at least look up any title I brought in.
Old 10-05-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ConanDestroyer
I don't think this deal is all that hot.

And they should stop lying by saying $8 minimum. No one here has gotten anything over $8.
Well, has anyone gotten LESS than $8? If not, then they are not lying. No one here is exactly trading in Criterions.

In any event, BB is not trying to be a dealer in rare or OOP dvds. Valuable titles like The Karate Kid and Mystery Science Theater : The Movie were showing up for $6.50 in their computer when I checked the other night.

I think it is a wonderful deal - buy a DVD for $3 at a pawn shop, trade it in for $8, wait for the next 3 for $25 sale. I am essentially getting used late releases for $3. And I will keep my eyes out for any valuable DVDs which might have been traded in by unknowing customers.

Last edited by NCYankee; 10-05-04 at 02:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.