Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

SCTV Network 90 for 29.99 at Blockbuster!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 04-18-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the apparent mis price on Voyager I previously posted, BB has apparently mispriced the new SCTV set (unless it went down in price and I didn't realize it). The SRP and the price it rings up for in the computer is 29.99. I slapped my five bucks down on that bad boy and will only owe 24.99 when it comes in.

And, like the Voyager misprice, I suggest if you are interested ACT FAST, because if this is a misprice on Blockbuster's part, they may change it anytime. And remember the lessons we learned from the Voyager misprice: when in doubt, it may be better to prepay for the set up front (and they are either lying or untrained if they tell you they can't do that. They can do it by hitting the "presale" button on their keyboard and following the proper prompts and just reading the instructions on the screen) (I put five bucks down on mine because I didn't have the money with me to do the full payment, otherwise I would have done that), and be sure the clerk fills out the order form (you can request the pink copy, which is what I did, to have a validation they preordered it for you at the low price) otherwise you will not get it, because the computer doesn't automaticallly order stuff from their distributor.

And, of course, GOOD LUCK to all who want to take advantage of this!
Old 04-18-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could you post the item# for the sctv network set. thanks
Old 04-18-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't post it because unlike "Star Trek" "SCTV" won't pull up hundreds of titles for the clerk to plow thru to find the Voyager sets. But if you need it, the number from my pink copy is 892606.
Old 04-18-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well, looks like I know where i'm headed tomorrow...

Scooby-Doo worked for me, so here's hoping this one does too...

thanks calhoun07
Old 04-18-04, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the info - I got the deal this morning. A question: I put down a deposit for all but $1 of the total price but my receipt does not show the actual price that I purchased it for (only that I paid a deposit of $28.99). Will their computer show that I owe $1 or could I get screwed when they fix the price (and they try to charge me the balance of the new price)? I could go back and get them to write on the receipt that I owe $1 if its necessary.
Old 04-18-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Putting the deposit down, regardless of the amount, locks you in for that price. You will only be charged a dollar when you pick it up. If they do it right, they won't need to scan the UPC code on the DVD when you pick it up, but they will do what is called "deliver" it to your account, which will only charge the remaining balance you owe.
Old 04-18-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-18-04, 10:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Went to 4 BBs today in search of this deal. All stores had the item in their computer, but looked at me like I was asking to urinate in their faces when I wanted to preorder.

It seems in MN, you can't preorder all that easily.

Is this just a regional deal?
Old 04-18-04, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by scott shelton
Went to 4 BBs today in search of this deal. All stores had the item in their computer, but looked at me like I was asking to urinate in their faces when I wanted to preorder.

No, they are idiots. Took me 3 stores before I scored the Scooby Doo. The help just doesn't get it. Try again Monday when maybe different help is there.
Old 04-19-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by New Rambler
No, they are idiots. Took me 3 stores before I scored the Scooby Doo. The help just doesn't get it. Try again Monday when maybe different help is there.
You bought Scooby Doo? I thought this was about SCTV.
Old 04-19-04, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
You bought Scooby Doo? I thought this was about SCTV.
It is - my point is that it seems a majority of BBV staffers don't understand how to pre-order! Many of us have had to try multiple stores before finding someone capable of giving us these great deals!!!
Old 04-19-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
hmm.
i'll have to check the price when i get in today.
Old 04-19-04, 10:36 AM

I don't have a BB card, so I couldn't put down anything less than the full $29.99 for the set. No problem for me, but I did have to make the kid behind the counter work a little.
Old 04-19-04, 12:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

3 more stores, and still no ability to pre-order.
Old 04-19-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got charged for the star trek voyager set on my CC, does that mean i will get the voyager set for the 29.99? i also got charge for mine scooby doo set also.
it's legal for BB to charge you that early for a pre*order?
Old 04-19-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by the_dude8
i got charged for the star trek voyager set on my CC, does that mean i will get the voyager set for the 29.99? i also got charge for mine scooby doo set also.
it's legal for BB to charge you that early for a pre*order?
How can a brick and mortar store do this? I am talking about brick and mortar here, not their online store (which I am assuming you are talking about. Correct me if I am wrong.)
Old 04-19-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott shelton

I agree...they are idiots.

You need to have a Blockbuster account first. Can't do a presale on a non member account, and if they just order it without the deposit first, you will not be locked in for the lower price, so if Blockbuster decides to raise the price on it to 89.99 before it comes out and you don't have the money down on it first, you're being charged 89.99. If you put at least five dollars down, you are locked in at that lower price, and there is nothing they can do about it (the manager may try to tell you they will have to cancel your pre order because of the price error, if the price error comes to their attention, but you could raise hell with Corporate over that and more than likely they would side with you. It's not your fault their price was wrong, you're just a bargain hunter!)

To do a presale is simple (I know, I've pre ordered a few things from Blockbuster in the past because there are times I can get it cheaper from them). The "presale" key is F2 on their keyboard. They pull up your account, press F2 and the prompts come up on the screen. If they cannot follow the prompts on the screen, then they are too stupid to work and should be fired. It's such an easy process I find it laughable more people don't know how to do it, or can't figure it out.

And for the record, delivering it is the same way...F2. They just have to hold down the shift key when they hit it. Or, if they can't master the keyboard in that fashion, they can type in these commands into the screen directly. If they type PRESALE, the prompts should come up the same way.

And then you can ask for a free rental because you took time out of your day to train them in.
Old 04-19-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Dasm, my wife just closed the front door on her way out, and I'm here watching the Simpsons with two febrile sons (which means I can't pack 'em up in the Family Truckster and hit BB).

At least BB is open late around here.

Thanks OP!!
Old 04-19-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
How can a brick and mortar store do this? I am talking about brick and mortar here, not their online store (which I am assuming you are talking about. Correct me if I am wrong.)
you are correct, it's bb B&M; i did the presale via their B&M store, the $29.07 {next to it, show blockbuster video} show up in my CC statement, which is for star trek voyager, and other is for scooby doo in the amount of $27.99. my question is, could BB B&M charge me for both dvd boxsets for the above price even though it's a pre-sale/pre-order?

when may rolls around, BB B&M might said that since those prices are misprices, and they already charges my CC, could i receive star trek voyager and scooby doo for $29.07 and 27.99 respectively? and dont have to pay the different.

anyone who pay in full for the star trek voyager set at their B&M got charge like i did?
Old 04-19-04, 07:32 PM

Location: I'm in a state (state)...of confusion (woah-oh-uh-oh)
Originally posted by calhoun07
I agree...they are idiots.

You need to have a Blockbuster account first. Can't do a presale on a non member account
First off, everything that has been said here about the incompetence of the staff when it comes to pre-orders is true. Unreal...it also took me 3 stores, but I will say the 3rd was great and had very knowledgeable staff.
Second, you can pre-order without an account, I did, and I paid in full...got the carbon copy and a computerized register receipt with SCTV on it.
Third, thank you to the original poster. As much as I wanted this I was going to pass because of the price but this is way too good of a price to pass up.
Old 04-19-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Dasm, I may have put one right in the lumber yard. Didn't read the fine print in the OP.

My BB was out of the hand-written forms (I asked for one), but two receipts spit out of the register: mine, and a completely different-looking one that the manager said "we send this in for the special orders and pre-orders". I paid in full, so my balance shows $0.00.

Did I just screw myself....?
Old 04-19-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by the_dude8
you are correct, it's bb B&M; i did the presale via their B&M store, the $29.07 {next to it, show blockbuster video} show up in my CC statement, which is for star trek voyager, and other is for scooby doo in the amount of $27.99. my question is, could BB B&M charge me for both dvd boxsets for the above price even though it's a pre-sale/pre-order?

when may rolls around, BB B&M might said that since those prices are misprices, and they already charges my CC, could i receive star trek voyager and scooby doo for $29.07 and 27.99 respectively? and dont have to pay the different.

anyone who pay in full for the star trek voyager set at their B&M got charge like i did?
Yeah, of course they will charge you if you pay in full ahead of time. But that is the best way to get locked in at that price. I paid in full for my Voyager set and got charged to my card and I knew it would. It isn't like an online store that will hold that transaction until the DVD comes in. And this is good news for you, anyway, because now you know you got Voyager at such a low price. I have a feeling some of our fellow board members won't fare so well with that set.
Old 04-19-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jobronie
Dasm, I may have put one right in the lumber yard. Didn't read the fine print in the OP.

My BB was out of the hand-written forms (I asked for one), but two receipts spit out of the register: mine, and a completely different-looking one that the manager said "we send this in for the special orders and pre-orders". I paid in full, so my balance shows $0.00.

Did I just screw myself....?
No, I think you will be OK when you go and pick it up.
Old 04-19-04, 09:55 PM

I paid the full amount of 32.xx and can't wait for this set. Quick preview of the set on Freaks and Geeks sold me (and the low price at BB).

Thanks calhoun07!!!
Old 04-19-04, 10:00 PM

At this price, I couldn't resist pulling the trigger. No problem at the local BBV here, $31.79 paid in full.

"You're such a hoser! Take off!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.