Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Re: Comic Book Cover Of The Day

Nice.

If I ever see some old Eerie Pubs magazines cheap at flea markets, etc., I grab them, they are so demented.

Old 03-27-24, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Old 03-27-24, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

The following users liked this post:
B5Erik (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

B5Erik (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I own the original printing transparencies (color guides I believe when they actually print the issue) used for this issue's cover. Neat item.
Can you post pix?
Old 03-27-24, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Warlord was also in a JLU episode (and even got an action figure in a three pack)
Old 03-27-24, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I was a big fan of Power Man and Iron Fist. Denys Cowan is underrated.

Old 03-27-24, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Warlord was also in a JLU episode (and even got an action figure in a three pack)
He also got a very MOTU looking figure from Remco back in the 80s, along with Arak and Hercules.

Old 03-27-24, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
He also got a very MOTU looking figure from Remco back in the 80s, along with Arak and Hercules.

Yeah, they also did Crystar, a Marvel property.
Old 03-27-24, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The zebra skin panties are what does it for me!

Yeah, they even did an Arak Son Of Thunder figure in that line!

will travel (04-03-24)
Old 03-27-24, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Nice.

If I ever see some old Eerie Pubs magazines cheap at flea markets, etc., I grab them, they are so demented.
FYI, if any of your love TwoMorrows Publishing as much as I do, they are introducing a new magazine in the fall of this year dedicated strictly to Horror Comics history. I already subscribe to their excellent Alter Ego, Back Issue!, and RetroFan and it looks like they will hook me in on another of their excellent magazines. I didn't subscribe to Comic Book Creator because I figured I am getting enough comic history with AE and BI but I always struggle not buying old issues of CBC or subscribing to it. I mean, how much comic history can you print without getting into repetition...but these guys somehow find a way. Plus, magazines are so damn expensive nowadays. But I like supporting them because they put out such a quality product.

It is going to be called Cryptology. They have the covers and info on their first four issues already posted. Cryptology : TwoMorrows Publishing, The Future of Comics and LEGO™ Publications.

Trevor (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 07:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
FYI, if any of your love TwoMorrows Publishing as much as I do, they are introducing a new magazine in the fall of this year dedicated strictly to Horror Comics history. I already subscribe to their excellent Alter Ego, Back Issue!, and RetroFan and it looks like they will hook me in on another of their excellent magazines. I didn't subscribe to Comic Book Creator because I figured I am getting enough comic history with AE and BI but I always struggle not buying old issues of CBC or subscribing to it. I mean, how much comic history can you print without getting into repetition...but these guys somehow find a way. Plus, magazines are so damn expensive nowadays. But I like supporting them because they put out such a quality product.

It is going to be called Cryptology. They have the covers and info on their first four issues already posted. Cryptology : TwoMorrows Publishing, The Future of Comics and LEGO™ Publications.

Twomorrows can seemingly do no wrong. Horror comics were my first love, and still my largest genre except perhaps superhero. I’m so in!
Spiderbite (03-27-24)
Old 03-28-24, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So here is a comic that I got around 1980 as a young kid while visiting the dentist. I couldn't wait to go back to the dentist but soon realized that I didn't get a comic book every time I went, unfortunately. Another very early comic for me. I was 7. I loved the cover art.

B5Erik (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 08:49 AM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

"A-ha! Some guy's laser drill! That's what's been keeping me back all these years! Now I am all-powerful!"
Spiderbite (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And not just any laser drill but a DENTAL laser drill!

Doctor Strange had some awesome covers over the years even though I was never a big fan as a kid. Wish I had been able to read this one back then.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
B5Erik (03-28-24), Trevor (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, they also did Crystar, a Marvel property.
At first I was going to say that Marvel based it on a toy line, like they did with Micronauts and ROM, but when I looked it up I found out that although the toys predated the comic, Marvel created the property with the purpose of licensing it to a toy manufacture, I did not know that! Trivia: Glenn Danzig "borrowed" Michael Golden's horned skull artwork from the cover of Crystar #8 for the logos of his Samhain and Danzig bands.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm in for that mag!
Old 03-29-24, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone have any Dennis The Menace as a kid? I had a couple of the newer 80's issues and a couple of really old releases but cannot remember the exact ones I had at this point. I think several of the old issues I had were coverless.

Trevor (03-30-24)
Old 03-29-24, 08:34 AM

See, the lesson here is never let Dennis near a garden hose. He will menace it.
Old 03-29-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Wow - I wasn’t a huge fan of the character when I read the newspaper comics every day as a kid, but I remember buying that first Marvel issue when it came out. I wasn’t a collector at that point (that started about a year later) – I just had a small stack of entirely random and well-worn comics on my bedroom shelf, mostly books I picked because they had artwork I wanted to copy while teaching myself to draw throughout my entire childhood. The Marvel Dennis comic was more likely picked up because it was a “1st Collector’s Item issue!” rather than a source of artistic inspiration, although it absolutely served as the basis of a similarly gardening implement-inspired ‘Mr. Wilson finally gets his revenge’ cartoon that I drew several years later, in Ketcham’s style, when my both my drawing skills and my interest in horror movies had matured quite a bit
Spiderbite (03-29-24)
Old 03-29-24, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts

Anyone have any Dennis The Menace as a kid? I had a couple of the newer 80's issues and a couple of really old releases but cannot remember the exact ones I had at this point. I think several of the old issues I had were coverless.

Yup, yup, yup! Was a big Dennis fan as a kid. Mostly the books, as I recall, and clipped the strips from the paper for a while. My brothers pick up a few of the Giant comics, which I thought were great, and eventually started buying the comics myself when I got old enough. Still have a few short boxes of Dennis comics, and a buttload of paperbacks.
Old 03-29-24, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts

Yup, yup, yup! Was a big Dennis fan as a kid. Mostly the books, as I recall, and clipped the strips from the paper for a while. My brothers picked up a few of the Giant comics, which I thought were great, and eventually started buying the comics myself when I got old enough. Still have a few short boxes of Dennis comics, and a buttload of paperbacks.
Old 03-29-24, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Yup, yup, yup! Was a big Dennis fan as a kid. Mostly the books, as I recall, and clipped the strips from the paper for a while. My brothers pick up a few of the Giant comics, which I thought were great, and eventually started buying the comics myself when I got old enough. Still have a few short boxes of Dennis comics, and a buttload of paperbacks.
Oh wow. Totally forgot about the paperbacks but I had several of those as well.

Examples (not mine):

Old 03-29-24, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I don't think I ever had any Dennis the Menace books (I read it daily in the newspaper, though), but I did have a lot of Peanuts collections. Mass market paperbacks, trade paperbacks (big, thick books I got at K-Mart, I think one of them was called The Beagle has Landed, and one big thick Treasury hardcover book I got at a yard sale.

I was sort of obsessed with Peanuts at the time, and I read every book I could.

In addition to Dennis the Menace, I also remember Family Circus MMPBs at the local grocery store. I also read that strip, but don't remember getting any of the books.

Pretty sure I had at least two large-format softcover books. I know I had Beagle Has Landed, and Summers Fly, Winters Walk looks and sounds familiar, too.

Old 03-30-24, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I have lots of "funnybooks" I got when I was a little kid (Dennis the Menace, Archie, Sad Sack, Casper, Richie Rich, etc.), but I no longer read those in my later teens when I started really collecting comics. Although I did collect the paperback compilations of newspaper strips (Dennis, Peanuts, Blondie, Andy Capp, BC, Tumbleweeds, Funky Winkerbean, etc. - basically any I found cheap in thrift stores, and/or used book stores).

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-30-24 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-30-24, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Funky Winkerbean

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.