Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Alan Moore Career Overview

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 02:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Alan Moore Career Overview

Yeah, that’s a nice slate too! Maybe I’ll do Daredevil next year.
Old 09-13-23, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

‘Watchmen’ Creator Alan Moore Asked DC to Send His Film and TV Royalties to Black Lives Matter: Recent Movies Don’t Stand By Their ‘Original Principles’

Alan Moore, the comic book visionary best known for writing such revered works as “Watchmen,” “V for Vendetta” and “Batman: The Killing Joke,” revealed to The Telegraph that he is longer accepting royalty checks from DC Comics for films and television series based on his works. He’s asked the company to instead reroute these checks to Black Lives Matter.

The Telegraph asked Moore if reports were true about him taking all of the money he makes from film and TV series and dividing it among the writers and other creatives, to which the writer answered: “I no longer wish it to even be shared with them. I don’t really feel, with the recent films, that they have stood by what I assumed were their original principles. So I asked for DC Comics to send all of the money from any future TV series or films to Black Lives Matter.”

Moore added that he is not interested in money and lives a quiet life in Northampton, England. He has been vocal in the past about not agreeing with adaptations of his work, and he’s highly critical of contemporary superhero movies, which he once called a “blight” to cinema and “also to culture to a degree.” He said in an October 2022 interview with The Guardian that adults’ continued love of superhero movies is an “infantilization” that can act as “a precursor to fascism.”

Moore expressed worry at the time over “hundreds of thousands of adults lining up to see characters and situations that had been created to entertain the 12-year-old boys — and it was always boys — of 50 years ago.”

“I didn’t really think that superheroes were adult fare,” Moore said. “I think that this was a misunderstanding born of what happened in the 1980s — to which I must put my hand up to a considerable share of the blame, though it was not intentional — when things like ‘Watchmen’ were first appearing. There were an awful lot of headlines saying ‘Comics Have Grown Up’. I tend to think that, no, comics hadn’t grown up. There were a few titles that were more adult than people were used to…I will always love and adore the comics medium but the comics industry and all of the stuff attached to it just became unbearable.”

In his new interview with The Telegraph, Moore said that what appealed to him most about comic books in the past is “no more.”

“Now they’re called ‘graphic novels’, which sounds sophisticated and you can charge a lot more for them,” he added. “These innocent and inventive and imaginative superhero characters from the ’40s, ’50s and ’60s are being recycled to a modern audience as if they were adult fare.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...181106056.html

The full interview is here:

​​​​​​​https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/wh...tter-watchmen/
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (09-13-23)
Old 09-14-23, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yawn. Oh Alan. Just stop talking comics if you hate them so much.
Old 09-15-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I wonder how comics history would have been different if DC hadn't reneged and had simply given the Watchmen rights back to Moore. While I think Moore had done everything he had wanted with DC characters, I imagine his Twilight proposal would have gotten made instead of eventually morphing into Kingdom Come.

I bet his creative partners aren't so happy Moore is donating the royalties.
Old 09-16-23, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I bet his creative partners aren't so happy Moore is donating the royalties.
They would still get their cut, wouldn't they? Moore wouldn't be receiving all the royalties if the property in question had co-creators (i.e. the artists). For example, Dave Gibbons is still credited as co-creator in the Watchmen film, even though Moore didn't want his name in the credits.

majorjoe23 (09-18-23)
Old 09-16-23, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

When Watchmen and V for Vendetta were made into films, Moore refused credit and gave his share of the royalties to David Gibbons and David Lloyd from their respective movies.

Moore has since had a falling out with both of them, so that's probably why he's giving his share of the Watchmen tv series lucre to BLM instead of Gibbons.
Old 09-17-23, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

What a grump
Old 09-17-23, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Alan Moore holds grudges like an eighty year-old woman.
Old 09-17-23, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yawn. Oh Alan. Just stop talking comics if you hate them so much.
Interviewer asks to interview Moore because his new book is coming out in paperback.
Moore agrees to a now-rare* interview.
interviewer asks about comics, because Moore's fame is from comics and the main stoey in his collection is about comics.
Moore has opinions. Readers have opinions about those opinions.

Same story for twenty+ years...

*because people keep asking him about comics
majorjoe23 (09-18-23)
Old 09-17-23, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
They would still get their cut, wouldn't they? Moore wouldn't be receiving all the royalties if the property in question had co-creators (i.e. the artists). For example, Dave Gibbons is still credited as co-creator in the Watchmen film, even though Moore didn't want his name in the credits.
Right. Moore gets a cheque and Gibbons gets a cheque (also probably Higgins). And for years, Moore's cheque has gone to Gibbons; now it will go to BLM. So Gibbons returns to getting 'just' his cut, but can't possibly (legitimately) complain about that.. especially after years of getting double.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
When Watchmen and V for Vendetta were made into films, Moore refused credit and gave his share of the royalties to David Gibbons and David Lloyd from their respective movies.

Moore has since had a falling out with both of them, so that's probably why he's giving his share of the Watchmen tv series lucre to BLM instead of Gibbons.
Doesn't sound like it's related to fallings out per se, although reading between the lines he's been none too happy that his co-creators have approved the spin-offs and sequels.

Two points though - (1) Gibbons noted in Confabulations that film monies typically are a one-time options payment, and not on-going royalties; is there reason to suppose (especially as it was touted as a draw to gain subscribers to HBO Max, and now the strikes are giving a damning picture of how paltry royalties are currently) there would be much money coming from past projects anyway..? (2) I hope someone notes the points of similarity between Watchmen (comics) and Watchmen (HBO miniseries), also points out that the depiction of the Tulsa massacre was instrumental in getting BLM and BLM-adjacent issues talked about with a wider audience and suggests that the show might actually be a positive sequel after all.