Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Old 01-21-21, 06:16 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Here's a thread to discuss everything indies!

Here are the IDW solicitations for April

Old 01-21-21, 09:02 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,030
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

half an hour ago i just started reading the first 4 issues of Family Tree. Pretty weird comic book from Image. Its better than God Country and Harrow County but I still like Harrow County for hat it was.

Family Tree is really something
Old 02-15-21, 06:24 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,800
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Anyone reading Donny Cates' Crossover? I'm trying to like it but so far it's been pretty meh. My fear is that I drop it and then a random issue will sell out because something finally happens and I miss the moment.

Also, being a major crossover nut, I'm waiting for more cameos. So far.... only Madman has shown up.
Old 02-15-21, 07:42 PM
  #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Anyone reading Donny Cates' Crossover? I'm trying to like it but so far it's been pretty meh. My fear is that I drop it and then a random issue will sell out because something finally happens and I miss the moment.

Also, being a major crossover nut, I'm waiting for more cameos. So far.... only Madman has shown up.
Well Madman and Cates' Paybacks. I'm pretty sure we'll see other characters join the fray like Spawn and Invincible. There's been other blink and you miss cameos too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(Image_Comics)
Old 03-23-21, 03:09 PM
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Looking forward to this Artist Edition

Old 03-27-21, 06:26 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Old 04-13-21, 01:24 PM
  #7  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

This looks interesting but honestly, Walking Dead has lost tons of steam

Old 04-13-21, 04:32 PM
  #8  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 896
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

The Walking Dead comic ended at the right time. The stuff with the shows is really beating an undead horse at this point.
Old 04-13-21, 06:07 PM
  #9  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by RonG617
The Walking Dead comic ended at the right time. The stuff with the shows is really beating an undead horse at this point.
I feel the comic book could have gone at least to issue 200 and have a grand finale that would have helped retailers sell more copies.
The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 07:14 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,800
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Looking forward to the alternate Rick Grimes from #75. Sounds like a hoot!
Old 04-22-21, 01:53 PM
  #11  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Kinda disappointed that AT&T didn't renew the licensing agreement with Mattel for He-Man. Dark Horse has picked it up and are releasing Masters of the Universe: Revelation written by Kevin Smith.

Old 04-22-21, 01:58 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,132
Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Sucks yeah, but AT&T aint gonna spend a dollar if they don't have to. The recent DC run of He-Man was great
Old 05-30-21, 04:39 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,808
Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Has anyone here been reading the TMNT: The Last Ronin? Iíve heard itís not official canon, but itís a story by Eastman and Laird and sounds kind of good.
Old 05-30-21, 05:57 PM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86
Has anyone here been reading the TMNT: The Last Ronin? Iíve heard itís not official canon, but itís a story by Eastman and Laird and sounds kind of good.
Yes, reading it and itís been great, more akin to the original book by Eastman and Laird. Highly recommend that you pick it up. Only issues have been the delays on the mini-series
Old 05-30-21, 06:38 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,808
Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Yes, reading it and itís been great, more akin to the original book by Eastman and Laird. Highly recommend that you pick it up. Only issues have been the delays on the mini-series
Seems like itís kind of hard to find. Cheapest I can find issue one for is like $8.99 plus shipping.
Old 05-31-21, 05:17 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,800
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86
Seems like it’s kind of hard to find. Cheapest I can find issue one for is like $8.99 plus shipping.
The cover price is $8.99. That's a deal if it's a First Print of #1.
Old 05-31-21, 05:55 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,808
Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The cover price is $8.99. That's a deal if it's a First Print of #1.
Ah I didnít realize it was that much. I think what I found is a third or so printing. Still seems like there arenít a lot floating around. There are some on eBay, but you have to really search for them. Debating on if I just want to wait until the storyline is eventually collected.
Old 08-09-21, 12:22 PM
  #18  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

This is huge. Several weeks ago, Scott Snyder announced that he would be releasing several comic book series through Substack, an email newsletter company. Substack wants to get into the comic book business and they started by offering great deals to Nick Spencer and then Scott Snyder. There's not a lot of details about Spencer's books but Snyder on the other hand will be releasing 8 books digital first through Substack and then Dark Horse will be printing them. Well, a lot of writers, starting with current Batman writer James Tynion, announced that they are going to do their creator owned work through Substack. Tynion will also be leaving Batman and superhero books for now.


If these books don't get printed, then it will be a huge blow to not only Marvel and DC, but the LCS community in general.
Old 08-09-21, 02:53 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,132
Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Way to stick it to shops Tynion. Enjoy your payday. This comment sums it up best:

"As a comics retailer, I feel like all my efforts to hand-sell his books over the last few years has gone unappreciated."
Old 08-09-21, 03:55 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,299
Likes: 0
Received 1,010 Likes on 712 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by stingermck
Way to stick it to shops Tynion. Enjoy your payday. This comment sums it up best:

"As a comics retailer, I feel like all my efforts to hand-sell his books over the last few years has gone unappreciated."
So the comic shops are allowed to make a living, but Tynion isn't?
Old 08-09-21, 05:32 PM
  #21  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Old 08-09-21, 09:12 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,148
Received 2,832 Likes on 1,945 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

TBH, I'm not a fan of Substack.

Just seems like a way for people to overcharge for their stupid e-mail newsletters they used to send out for free.

I'll be surprised if Substack is still around in a few years. They'll either go tits-up, or get devoured by someone like Facebook or Google. As such, I wouldn't count on any content on Substack to be permanent.
Old 08-10-21, 08:12 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,132
Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Soon to be reprinted by Dark Horse
Old 08-10-21, 09:17 AM
  #24  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
So the comic shops are allowed to make a living, but Tynion isn't?
Tynion can make a living too but in the process of sticking it to the Big 2, he's also sticking it to LCS who have championed his independent books for the past 3-5 years. For people like Tynion, LCS were the ones that put him on the map. Now, he's going to the big money with Substack and from my understanding, he isn't releasing any of those books to the LCS in print. This is the opposite of what Scott Snyder is doing, which is to release digital first through Substack and then in-print through Dark Horse.

The following users liked this post:
stingermck (08-10-21)
Old 08-10-21, 09:27 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 13,825
Likes: 0
Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Tynion can make a living too but in the process of sticking it to the Big 2, he's also sticking it to LCS who have championed his independent books for the past 3-5 years. For people like Tynion, LCS were the ones that put him on the map. Now, he's going to the big money with Substack and from my understanding, he isn't releasing any of those books to the LCS in print. This is the opposite of what Scott Snyder is doing, which is to release digital first through Substack and then in-print through Dark Horse.
Even still, how much does the LCS make on a TPB? Seems to be more of an Amazon/Bookstore?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.