Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Re: Image, IDW, Dark Horse & Indies 2021 Thread

You do have to give Dave Sim credit for being way ahead of the curve on redpill bullshit. He was spouting that drivel decades before it became fashionable.

I'm really surprised he never became some kind of manosphere guru like his fellow Canadian Jordan Peterson.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (09-14-21)
Old 11-18-21, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

It appears that IDW has lost the Disney properties license (Disney, Marvel and Star Wars). Dark Horse is picking up Star Wars and doing all ages series

Old 12-02-21, 01:04 PM
Banned

Rumor going around that IDW will lose the rights to HASBRO characters and franchises like GI Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, and ROM
Old 12-02-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Rumor going around that IDW will lose the rights to HASBRO characters and franchises like GI Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, and ROM
it would be cool if Marvel got Rom.
The following 2 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
devilshalo (12-14-21), Trevor (12-02-21)
Old 12-02-21, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think that losing all of those licenses would do IDW in. Seems like those properties are at least half of their output. They'll still have stuff like Star Trek, Turtles, Godzilla, and Sonic, but I would think that losing Transformers and Star Wars is going to sting, as those seem to be their biggest properties.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-03-21 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Would love Marvel to get access to the Micronauts and Rom again. I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up at Dark Horse tho.
John Pannozzi (12-07-21)
Old 12-03-21, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I haven't heard much "buzz" at all about the Hasbro IDW properties after the James Roberts series ended, and I lost interest earlier than that when they tried to do a "Hasbroverse" and had incessant crossovers with MASK, ROM, Joe, and the (at the time) great Transformers series.

Hasbro does (at least currently) have the license for Marvel Legends,and while people remember Rom and Micronauts fondly because of their integration into the Marvel Universe, I'd be curious to see Transformers and Joe back at Marvel if only because without Marvel neither would exist as we know them.
Old 12-03-21, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
I haven't heard much "buzz" at all about the Hasbro IDW properties after the James Roberts series ended, and I lost interest earlier than that when they tried to do a "Hasbroverse" and had incessant crossovers with MASK, ROM, Joe, and the (at the time) great Transformers series.

Hasbro does (at least currently) have the license for Marvel Legends,and while people remember Rom and Micronauts fondly because of their integration into the Marvel Universe, I'd be curious to see Transformers and Joe back at Marvel if only because without Marvel neither would exist as we know them.
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney bought Hasbro. Their CEO recently died and the word in Wall Street is that the company is reorganizing to be once again a toy company instead of basically catering to the geek and adult collector market. By Disney purchasing Hasbro, they would have a company to produce directly their toy lines for everything besides Marvel and Star Wars.

As for IDW losing Hasbro, I'm not surprised at all. IDW has been losing money heavily for the past 5 years. As I mentioned before, the company barely own any intellectual property and are so licensing dependent, that almost everything they earn goes back into securing the licenses for Disney, Hasbro, Nickelodeon. Sega, etc. They lost the Disney (Marvel, Star Wars, Disney) to Dark Horse for all ages books. They are losing the entire Hasbro license, which will probably end up either at Dark Horse, Boom or Marvel and they may lose TMNT is they aren't willing to meet Nickelodeon's price.
Old 12-03-21, 09:04 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been creating a list of Indie friendly stores over the last year. Would any care to share the name of their LCS, if they carry indie titles?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FDw/edit#gid=0
Old 12-03-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

It still boggles my mind that Disney/Marvel licenses out the kid stuff and doesn't do it themselves. Why not reintroduce something like STAR with the Disney stuff included as well? I don't get it. It's not like Dark Horse or IDW has more inroads into kid-friendly places, do they?

Originally Posted by mwynn
I have been creating a list of Indie friendly stores over the last year. Would any care to share the name of their LCS, if they carry indie titles?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FDw/edit#gid=0
Man, I haven't had a local LCS in years, but I'd think/hope that every dedicated comic store carries at least some indy titles, unless they're like mainly a card/games store and sell comics on the side or something. I mean if you have a store dedicated to comics and don't buy any indy titles, what are you doing? But a worthwhile endeavor indeed, so good luck!
mwynn (12-03-21)
Old 12-03-21, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
It still boggles my mind that Disney/Marvel licenses out the kid stuff and doesn't do it themselves. Why not reintroduce something like STAR with the Disney stuff included as well? I don't get it. It's not like Dark Horse or IDW has more inroads into kid-friendly places, do they?

Man, I haven't had a local LCS in years, but I'd think/hope that every dedicated comic store carries at least some indy titles, unless they're like mainly a card/games store and sell comics on the side or something. I mean if you have a store dedicated to comics and don't buy any indy titles, what are you doing? But a worthwhile endeavor indeed, so good luck!
There are stores that only carry Marvel and DC books, then some image.
Old 12-03-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney bought Hasbro. Their CEO recently died and the word in Wall Street is that the company is reorganizing to be once again a toy company instead of basically catering to the geek and adult collector market. By Disney purchasing Hasbro, they would have a company to produce directly their toy lines for everything besides Marvel and Star Wars.
I've always thought it would make sense, from a corporate perspective, for Disney to buy Hasbro. They would not only own and control the company that makes toys for Marvel and Star Wars, but they would also gain three new IP farms in Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Power Rangers.
Old 12-04-21, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've always thought it would make sense, from a corporate perspective, for Disney to buy Hasbro. They would not only own and control the company that makes toys for Marvel and Star Wars, but they would also gain three new IP farms in Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Power Rangers.
There were rumors a few years back that Disney was interested. If Paramount fumbles again that sale might happen.
Old 12-04-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by mwynn
There are stores that only carry Marvel and DC books, then some image.
I've got like 20 comic book shops within an hour of me and I've never been in a store like you described. They all have tons of different indie publishers and titles from them.
Old 12-04-21, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I've got like 20 comic book shops within an hour of me and I've never been in a store like you described. They all have tons of different indie publishers and titles from them.
Please feel free to share those stores. There is a store about 5 minutes from me that only cares about Marvel and DC books. They say that indie books do not sell for them.
Old 12-04-21, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It's being reported by Bloomberg? that Dark Horse is looking to sell the business.
Old 12-04-21, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m not sure I would see the appeal of buying Dark Horse. Most of their IP is either licensed or creator owned. There are the Comics Greatest World characters, but would they be much of a draw?
Old 12-05-21, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I’m not sure I would see the appeal of buying Dark Horse. Most of their IP is either licensed or creator owned. There are the Comics Greatest World characters, but would they be much of a draw?
The investors are looking to sell to Netflix or Amazon to create content. They are just testing the water.
John Pannozzi (12-07-21)
Old 12-07-21, 12:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Transformers and G.I. Joe may be moving to Image:
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/imag...rs-and-gi-joe/
Old 12-13-21, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
Transformers and G.I. Joe may be moving to Image:
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/imag...rs-and-gi-joe/
Rumor is that Skybound will be the imprint releasing both titles.
mwynn (12-13-21)
Old 12-15-21, 02:58 PM

Hello all,

This past March the first issue of my book The Edge was released in comic stores.
We have had a few delays since then, and hop to be back on track in January.
If interested here is a preview of issue one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NbJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://linktr.ee/theedgecomic
The Questyen (12-16-21)
Old 12-21-21, 07:26 AM
Banned

Dark Horse Comics being purchased by Embracer Group