Reload this Page >

The Official Toys and Collectibles Thread

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 06-10-19, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Just as the title says, discuss toys and collectibles that you may have in your collection or that are out there in the market or coming up soon

To start, check out these awesome figures announced today by DC Collectibles as being San Diego Comic Con 2019 exclusives

Old 06-10-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: The Official Toys and Collectibles Thread

Cute packaging. Though the more 'roided out musculature kind of clashes with the retro gimmick for me.

It reminds me of the Showcase sets from a decade ago- specifically the Superman one which had some wonderfully kooky switchout heads from various silver age stories

For a couple years I was collecting figures. The Mattel DC Universe line was amazing in that I never thought I would see characters like the Golden Age Sandman or Killer Moth or Big Barda just sitting there on the pegs at Wal-mart.

When I got into statues though, I left figures behind (until my first Hot Toys a couple years ago).
Old 06-10-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I was at a local shop today and saw a Super Powers Batmobile for $50. I had one as a kid and blew a wheel off trying to create the bat-turn from the '66 series using a bottle rocket. I think I may have to replace it.
Old 06-11-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Not sure if anyone collects Marvel Legends, but they're basically doing Liefeld X-Force waves now (they already did Shatterstar and Cable). The next wave has that ugly Boom Boom design and this Cannonball figure:

This is both the crappiest figure and the best representation of a Liefeld design I've ever seen. The figure for whatever reason has no legs, he only comes with that lame blasting pose. Perfect for Liefeld's no-feet policy, and "I can't be bothered to draw the rest so let's just draw explosions." The face is showing all the teeth. Ironically it actually does come with a foot but it belongs to the BAF Wendigo.

They should totally make a Heroes Reborn Captain America with ridiculously out of proportion chest next.
Old 06-11-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

I'd be tempted by the Rainbow Batman if it came alone.
Old 06-11-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not sure if anyone collects Marvel Legends, but they're basically doing Liefeld X-Force waves now (they already did Shatterstar and Cable). The next wave has that ugly Boom Boom design and this Cannonball figure:

This is both the crappiest figure and the best representation of a Liefeld design I've ever seen. The figure for whatever reason has no legs, he only comes with that lame blasting pose. Perfect for Liefeld's no-feet policy, and "I can't be bothered to draw the rest so let's just draw explosions." The face is showing all the teeth. Ironically it actually does come with a foot but it belongs to the BAF Wendigo.

They should totally make a Heroes Reborn Captain America with ridiculously out of proportion chest next.
I collect Marvel Legends and it's not just X-Force. Hasbro has unleashed a tidal wave of x-figures in the last two years. I'm pretty specific with which figures I collect. I only do heroes/villains appearing in the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne X-Men run (Giant Size #1 through Days of Future Past) and 1991 x-relaunch heroes (basically anyone in that Jim Lee poster from X-Men #1 plus a few others). It used to be I'd add 1 or 2 figures a year at most, but in the last 2 years I think I've picked up all of the following:

90's Cyclops
Shatterstar
70's Dazzler
Polaris
Sunfire
Dark Phoenix/70's Cyclops 2-pack
Cable
Domino
90's Deadpool
Sasquatch (build-a-figure)
brown Wolverine
tiger stripe Wolverine
Multiple Man
Psylocke
Gladiator
Bishop
Sauron (build-a-figure)
Mystique
Sentinel/DoFP Wolverine 2-pack
Archangel
Shadow King (build-a-figure)
Beast
Jubilee
Gambit
Forge
Hoverchair Xavier

I have the following already pre-ordered:

Boom-Boom
Cannonball (This figure is a real bummer, but I can't have the rest of X-Force and no Cannonball, right?)
Guardian
Nightcrawler
90's Storm
Iceman
Hulk/first appearance Wolverine 2-pack
Magneto/Quicksilver?Scarlet Witch 3-pack

and then there are these which have been announced/rumored for this year, but not for order yet:

Colossus/Juggernaut 2-pack
90's Havok/Polaris 2-pack
Wolverine/Cyclops/Jean Grey 3-pack (Jean is presumably 90's with the other 2 probably being some other 90's variants)

The Marvel license is up for renewal next year and it's likely Hasbro is pumping out every x-character they can in case they don't get the contract back. It's exciting, but man is it expensive. Just looking at that list I compiled kind of makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 06-11-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm building a X-Men ML collection too and all the stuff coming out this year is great. Definitely hoping for a 90s Jean
Old 06-11-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I realize there have been a ton of X-focused lines the past few years, a far cry from that initial wave that was TRU only and almost impossible to find (which still bums me out). I also really regret holding back on the Apocalypse wave thinking it would be easier to find... I dunno what made me think Madrox would be a shelfwarmer but people picked up multiples (ha!) of him and he became hard to find as well. So now I have an incomplete BAF.

I didn't realize that the Shadow King head from the Xavier set works on the Kingpin BAF, which is what I presume you mean by Shadow King BAF.

The price on these figures bums me out, though... they skyrocketed to 20 bucks a piece and held there, and I remember a time when that was like uber scalper prices for a figure of this size.
Old 06-11-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I'm weird and can't justify paying $20 or whatever for a Marvel Legends figure, but I'll pay crazy prices for Hot Toys . For smaller scale, lower priced figures I much prefer Diamond Select's Marvel Select line or for DC figures DC Collectibles. I just think Hasbro stuff is mostly junk, even though they release a lot of characters.
Old 06-11-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm weird and can't justify paying $20 or whatever for a Marvel Legends figure, but I'll pay crazy prices for Hot Toys . For smaller scale, lower priced figures I much prefer Diamond Select's Marvel Select line or for DC figures DC Collectibles. I just think Hasbro stuff is mostly junk, even though they release a lot of characters.
Hasbro is actually really improved... I don't collect Star Wars but the facial technology on those figures is great, and they're really digging deep in the well for a lot of their current Marvel legends offerings. I stopped collecting Marvel Legends for a while and focused on Hot Toys, thinking if I was going to get a representation of a figure I might as well spend for the best one, but it became too pricey, and Marvel kept pumping out movies like crazy and I couldn't keep up. Plus my son started wanting to play with Marvel Legends sized figures instead of the more cartooney stuff I was getting him. So now the Marvel Legends Thanos, for instance, is "good enough" for me, when the alternative is a $400 Hot Toys (which is admittedly awesome)

If they didn't jack up the price of SH figuarts domestically and make some impossible to find, I think I would have continued with that line, but I stopped well before Infinity War. It does boggle my mind just how many companies make Marvel figures, from figuarts to figma to Marvel Legends to Marvel Select to Hot Toys to (not really figures) lego.

DC collectibles: when they changed scales, I gave up. I was a huge fan of DC Universe but the way they handled the online-only part of that line ticked me off as well, and the last few were underwhelming. The multiverse line hasn't been all that impressive to me compared to Marvel Legends, and now Spinmasters has the license so I'm not expecting much.
Old 06-11-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Oh, I realize there have been a ton of X-focused lines the past few years, a far cry from that initial wave that was TRU only and almost impossible to find (which still bums me out). I also really regret holding back on the Apocalypse wave thinking it would be easier to find... I dunno what made me think Madrox would be a shelfwarmer but people picked up multiples (ha!) of him and he became hard to find as well. So now I have an incomplete BAF.

I didn't realize that the Shadow King head from the Xavier set works on the Kingpin BAF, which is what I presume you mean by Shadow King BAF.

The price on these figures bums me out, though... they skyrocketed to 20 bucks a piece and held there, and I remember a time when that was like uber scalper prices for a figure of this size.
I think I saw the Apocalypse wave in stores twice? And not even the entire wave. The Walmart down the street from me pretty much only does the movie waves with any consistency. They had to have gotten at least 10 cases of Infinity War figures and maybe half a dozen Captain Marvel. It's frustrating because I have zero interest in the MCU stuff. I preorder everything now and skip the hassle of hunting.

The Shadow King head does indeed go on the kingpin body. Thankfully I found that wave in store (and sold off the figures which I had little interest in) because the aftermarket price on that BAF is already sky high given that lots of people wanted one for kingpin and shadow king.

The $20 price is tough to swallow, but having strict rules for what I'll buy and the mad rush on X-Men means I have almost everything I want. Way better than the high end stuff like hot toys or mayfex. Sorry, but those are just dumb.
Old 06-12-19, 09:24 AM
Banned

DC Collectibles quality has declined overall and somehow their prices have gone up. A figure with a similar size to the Marvel Legends is now retailing at $27.99. Their Mulitverse line just sucks.
Old 06-12-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I think I saw the Apocalypse wave in stores twice? And not even the entire wave. The Walmart down the street from me pretty much only does the movie waves with any consistency. They had to have gotten at least 10 cases of Infinity War figures and maybe half a dozen Captain Marvel. It's frustrating because I have zero interest in the MCU stuff. I preorder everything now and skip the hassle of hunting.

The Shadow King head does indeed go on the kingpin body. Thankfully I found that wave in store (and sold off the figures which I had little interest in) because the aftermarket price on that BAF is already sky high given that lots of people wanted one for kingpin and shadow king.

The $20 price is tough to swallow, but having strict rules for what I'll buy and the mad rush on X-Men means I have almost everything I want. Way better than the high end stuff like hot toys or mayfex. Sorry, but those are just dumb.
The biggest change to me these past few waves has been the creation of the hasbro pulse online shop for preorders. Before you'd have to get lucky for some of those waves on amazon.

It's still amazing that they have a forty dollar deluxe set with deadpool and a bald guy in a hoverchair and the latter is like impossible to find at retail. The thirst for X-men figures is real.
Old 06-12-19, 11:11 AM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I collected most of the 25th anniversary series of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero a few years back. Eventually, they got too expensive and it was too difficult to find everything. That and changing life priorities (kids!) shifted the budget and I can't remember the last toy I bought. That G.I. Joe line was phenomenal. It combined the original packaging - which was so fun to see in the toy aisle again! - with updated sculpts that were out of this world. I'm an opener, too, so I have a whole bookcase just waiting for me to unpack to tub of G.I. Joe from our last move. Maybe I'll get on that this year.
Old 06-12-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I’m collecting Transformers and GI Joes. Recently picked up the Walmart reissue of Gears. Second minibot I bought, as the first was Tailgate. Tailgate was one I had as a boy, so was happy to find it. I also have War For Cybertron Soundwave and Titans Return Octane and Overlord.
Old 06-12-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Siege: War for Cybertron Transformers line currently out is pretty amazing. People are upset at the paint wash that makes them look "weathered" and I can see that, but they put so much detail into the figures. For the most part, they're doing this nostalgia thing of trying to make the robot mode as close to possible to G1, while making the transformed mode into a futuristic Cybertron mode, but it makes for some fantastic looking figures (and some iffy alt modes at times).

Plus, articulation is at a premium for this line, and not just because of joints used for transformation, every single bigger figure, for instance, has ankle tilts.
Old 06-12-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Browse thru the Hot Wheels cars at the Dollar Tree. You might luck out and find the different Batmobiles.

They are also periodically stocking various Star War action figures and vehicles.
Old 06-13-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Last year they had some Hot Wheels(?) with Alex Ross custom art.
Old 06-27-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I’ve started regaining GI Joe figures that I used to have but were lost in moves. I got a near complete Annihilator in the mail a few days ago. And kind of toy related, I also got a copy of the New Teen Titans version of the DC Heroes rpg in the mail from eBay. The only thing that the set was missing is the character cards, but all of the characters are listed in the Gamamadtester Manual.
Old 11-26-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry for the quick grainy picture.
Old 11-27-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I normally don't look for Hot Wheels but I stumbled this weekend on a Batman 5-pack at Walmart. It had a car for the Joker, Killer Croc and a couple of other Batman-related vehicles.
Old 11-27-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

That could have been a pretty cool figure if they made an interchangeable head with a resting face, and a lower body that could be swapped out for the blasting effect.
Old 01-18-20, 07:33 PM
Banned

This is a pretty cool figure that many would probably like to add to the collection. It includes a mini Detective Comics 27 replica

Old 01-23-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood
This is a pretty cool figure that many would probably like to add to the collection. It includes a mini Detective Comics 27 replica

https://youtu.be/98ewNbBO7Ug
I will definitely be out on the lookout for it.
Old 01-23-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That could have been a pretty cool figure if they made an interchangeable head with a resting face, and a lower body that could be swapped out for the blasting effect.
It could've been, but they skimped. On a 20 dollar figure. Oh, and now the msrp is like 22 bucks because hey, why not?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.