DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: The Official Toys and Collectibles Thread

After 33 years of waiting, and they are awesome

Old 01-23-20, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

These do look amazing. The classics line has some amazing pieces in it.
Old 01-26-20, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

For some reason, Wal-Mart has done 3 exclusive toys for giant monster and robot movie characters. The first 3 to hit the shelves are Iron Giant, Alien Queen and Robby the Robot. The robots look pretty cool but the Alien Queen looks cheap. All of them are priced at $19.99 each

Old 01-27-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I am always surprised at how much life The Iron Giant brand continues to have years after release. I don't think it was a huge movie at the box office.
Old 01-27-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Anyone pick up any of the wave one McFarlane DC Multiverse figures yet? Kinda thinking of picking up the Nightwing myself but haven’t seen it in stores yet. I’ve come across the Batman (Detective Comics version), Harley, and Superman.
Old 01-28-20, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I am always surprised at how much life The Iron Giant brand continues to have years after release. I don't think it was a huge movie at the box office.
That's the big story behind the Iron Giant. The movie is probably one of the top animated films ever but Warner Brother did probably the worst marketing job ever for this film. The story goes that because the WB animated film Quest for Camelot didn't do good at the box office, the idiots that be at WB decided not to invest that much into the marketing for Iron Giant. These same idiots were completely surprised at the great reception the movie was getting during it's test phase and were too late to get some type of promotional stuff going. Apparently, WB had backed out of the plan to market they movie with the kids meal at Burger King, so they threw their hands up and said fuck it. This was also at the time the whole AOL takeover was being worked behind the scenes, so Time Warner didn't want to take any risk that would ruin the sale of the company. People who worked in the company in that era said that it was one of the worst periods ever as corporate bullshit overtook every aspect of every division of the company.

The movie became a cult hit once it was released on VHS and DVD and shown non-stop on TNT.
Old 01-29-20, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm proud to say I saw The Iron Giant in theaters, but it was largely due to a glowing review from Roger Ebert at the time. And yes, the movie tanked at the box office. It finished NINTH its opening weekend and that was its highest ranking during its short run.
Old 04-23-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Did anyone backup the Kickstarter fund for the Mcfarlene Spawn remastered toy?

I was thinking of backing up the classic version but 60 bucks shipped for a figure sounds kind of high. It does look nice though.

Old 04-23-20, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Did anyone backup the Kickstarter fund for the Mcfarlene Spawn remastered toy?

I was thinking of backing up the classic version but 60 bucks shipped for a figure sounds kind of high. It does look nice though.

I didn't even know about it, thanks for bringing it up. Is it really 20 bucks shipping?

I don't quite understand why he went to Kickstarter for this, does he explain it in one of the videos?
Old 04-23-20, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

For those who are not in the loop.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...emastered-2020

The reason why he went to Kickstarter is because stores like Walmart and Target want a whole series of toys as opposed to just one figure at a time.

Plus, I'm sure Spawn is not a big license like his DC or Fortnite figures.

The toy is 40 bucks with 18 bucks shipping but check out the videos. It's a premium figure with a bunch of swag.

I started buying figures again recently and what I hate the most about today's environment are the scalpers. Especially if it's a figure that everybody wants, it takes one person to buy a whole store out and then flip them on eBay.

I kind of like this model as in you buy it and you're guaranteed a figure.

The Kickstarter is way over the goals and Mcfarlene keeps adding more stuff to the figures. There's a few days left before the Kickstarter ends.
​​
​​​​​​Anyways, I went ahead and bought the "Classic Spawn" version.
​​
Old 04-26-20, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The detail looks great on the cape and costume.
Old 05-08-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
For those who are not in the loop.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...emastered-2020

The reason why he went to Kickstarter is because stores like Walmart and Target want a whole series of toys as opposed to just one figure at a time.

Plus, I'm sure Spawn is not a big license like his DC or Fortnite figures.

The toy is 40 bucks with 18 bucks shipping but check out the videos. It's a premium figure with a bunch of swag.

I started buying figures again recently and what I hate the most about today's environment are the scalpers. Especially if it's a figure that everybody wants, it takes one person to buy a whole store out and then flip them on eBay.

I kind of like this model as in you buy it and you're guaranteed a figure.

The Kickstarter is way over the goals and Mcfarlene keeps adding more stuff to the figures. There's a few days left before the Kickstarter ends.
​​
​​​​​​Anyways, I went ahead and bought the "Classic Spawn" version.
​​
4 hours to go on this and this surpassed 3 million on kickstarter, which is pretty amazing. And yes I caved.
Old 05-08-20, 07:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
4 hours to go on this and this surpassed 3 million on kickstarter, which is pretty amazing. And yes I caved.
Whew, I forgot and dodged that bullet. I don’t really do toys normally, but was going to pledge just for the exclusive comic.
Old 05-10-20, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kickstarter just fired something like half its employees. Not sure how that will impact the toys or not.
Old 05-10-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It seems doubtful it would affect projects in the works (unless they don’t distribute the funds to McFarlane)
Old 07-10-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

HasLabs next big crowdfunding project was announced (their previous one was the gigantic Unicron from Transformers):

It's a 26 inch, $350 Marvel Legends-scaled Sentinel (there are previous Sentinels released but this is much much bigger) with a Marvel Legends Bastion figure:
https://hasbropulse.com/collections/...vel-s-sentinel

Its body a towering, technological marvel, the Sentinel scans the world for its quarry, a searching light emanating from its chest, its glowing eyes a warning… and a threat. Programmed with only one objective, to destroy all mutant life on Earth, the Sentinel will not hesitate, will not falter, and will never ever stop hunting.

Rising from the pages of Marvel comics, appearing in everything from cartoons to movies to video games, the Sentinel is as a monumental part of Marvel lore, an iconic enemy of the X-Men, and, now, the first-ever Marvel Legends HasLab project.

Hasbro Pulse invites you to join us in bringing this project to life, with all the features and detailing you know and love from the Marvel Legends 6-inch line:
  • 26.3-inch (669 mm) Sentinel figure
  • LEDs in the head and chest (2x AAA batteries required, not included)
  • 18-inch Sentinel “tentacle” accessory
  • Marvel Legends 6-inch Bastion figure with 6-Inch alternate Sentinel Prime head
  • Marvel Insider Points Redemption code (70,000 points per purchase, limit 2 code redemptions per account) & X-Men #14 (1963) digital comic to read in the Marvel Comics app (available in iOS and Android). Open to US residents 18+. Terms apply.
This crowdfund project will run from July 10th, 2020 to 11:59pm ET on August 24th, 2020. If successful, the project will begin shipping around Fall 2021.
I'm a huge Transformers fan but couldn't justify having a Unicron around my house, but I am very, very, very tempted by this. It will blow past the 6000 target easily. And I can only assume a Galactus is being planned.
Old 07-10-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’m not the biggest Transformers fan, but I saw recently where they announced a crossover with Back to the Future. I’m a little tempted by it.

The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (07-10-20)
Old 07-13-20, 11:02 AM
Banned

The big HasbLabs crowdfunding project is this Marvel Legends Sentinel, which cost $350. Already 9000 people have backed it up so they have unlocked new extra figures. The figure looks great but is incredibly pricey for what it is. I would certainly have preferred a Galactus figure with Silver Surfer, Firelord, Nova, Terrax and other heralds unlocking as the amount of backers increases.

Old 07-13-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Sentinel has blown past the tier 3 funding, which means:
Master Mold head
Battle Damaged head
Female Prime Sentinel

And every 1000 they are promising something else added.
Old 07-13-20, 01:55 PM
Banned

The Sentinel has blown past the tier 3 funding, which means:
Master Mold head
Battle Damaged head
Female Prime Sentinel

And every 1000 they are promising something else added.
Is this their most successful crowdfunding for them yet?
Old 07-13-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Is this their most successful crowdfunding for them yet?

They've only done three so far, and I don't remember how quickly Unicron went up.
https://hasbropulse.com/collections/haslab

Unicron had more than 12,000 backers (at least that's what the site claims, there were only like 8000 with 24 hours to go so quite a surge) at 575 a piece.
Jabba's barge had like 9,000 backers at 500 a piece

So at least it's on pace to shatter the record, especially if there's a last minute surge (it's at 9467 backers with over 42 days to go).

The lower pricing and temptation for multiples probably plays a factor as well. In the middle of a global pandemic no less.
Old 07-13-20, 03:57 PM
Banned

Maybe I'm having the Mandela effect here, but I swear at some point I saw a GI Joe carrier ship or something from that franchise come up on the haslabs crowdfunding.
Old 07-13-20, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Maybe I'm having the Mandela effect here, but I swear at some point I saw a GI Joe carrier ship or something from that franchise come up on the haslabs crowdfunding.
I don't think so. You sure you're not thinking of the old USS Flagg? They don't even make Joes at this point, at least not at that scale (they just introduced a new Marvel Legends-like scale recently, but I don't think they've announced any vehicles at all).
Old 07-13-20, 06:52 PM
Banned

I don't think so. You sure you're not thinking of the old USS Flagg? They don't even make Joes at this point, at least not at that scale (they just introduced a new Marvel Legends-like scale recently, but I don't think they've announced any vehicles at all).
That's probably it.
Old 07-13-20, 07:00 PM
Banned

As a kid I always thought that my first exposure to comics were the Super Powers and the Secret Wars action figures. Checking my toy collection, I found my old Warlord, Hercules, Arak and Machiste action figures, which predates both Super Powers and Secret Wars by about 2 years. I also had the smaller version Sgt Rock figures, but they must be at my parent's home cause I can't find them in mine.

It's such a weird property but understandable since Remco was looking something along to compete with He-Man and Warlord's mythos perfectly fit in.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-24-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.