Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Official Toys and Collectibles Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: The Official Toys and Collectibles Thread

What's the deal with the Dr. Doom head on Galactus?

Probably from a comic book I never read, but I'm unsure why that would be desirable instead of another herald action figure or other relevant accessory.
Old 09-01-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
What's the deal with the Dr. Doom head on Galactus?

Probably from a comic book I never read, but I'm unsure why that would be desirable instead of another herald action figure or other relevant accessory.
That's kind of my point. It is from a comic, but a single Marvel Two-In-One issue:
https://www.cbr.com/doctor-dooms-mos...alactus-power/

So someone on the design team or whatever must love this issue and wanted it, but I still have yet to find any fan that's excited about it besides getting it for "free." Most people wanted a more Kirby-esque head (which I get, even though it wouldn't match the rest of the figure that well) or another herald (though they can sell the rest separately).

On a side note there's one guy who's in all the livestreams who loves the 90s Marvel trading cards (and hey, I loved them too, that Jim Lee art was amazing) and you can tell he has some pull because a lot of the Marvel Legends designs come straight from those cards/that era. This doom Galactus thing isn't from that era but just showing that their preferences make a difference in what gets produced. I think the Morg pick was a favorite of Jesse Falcon, for instance.
Old 09-01-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
On a side note there's one guy who's in all the livestreams who loves the 90s Marvel trading cards (and hey, I loved them too, that Jim Lee art was amazing) and you can tell he has some pull because a lot of the Marvel Legends designs come straight from those cards/that era.
I wish they had followed the card art for the new Excalibur box set. I'm not a huge Excalibur fan, but Captain Britain having his Excalibur #1 costume rather than his later Alan Davis costume is disappointing enough (to me) on it's own, but the fact that Meggan is in green and the two don't match no matter which era you prefer, is kind of infuriating. That the card art with the Davis costume is on the freaking box is just the bonus salt in the wound.
Old 09-01-21, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I wish they had followed the card art for the new Excalibur box set. I'm not a huge Excalibur fan, but Captain Britain having his Excalibur #1 costume rather than his later Alan Davis costume is disappointing enough (to me) on it's own, but the fact that Meggan is in green and the two don't match no matter which era you prefer, is kind of infuriating. That the card art with the Davis costume is on the freaking box is just the bonus salt in the wound.
Sometimes it feels like they do that on purpose... make it so close to perfect so you settle, and then release another fixed version later. Heck they just did it with Liefeld era Cannonball.
Old 09-01-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometimes it feels like they do that on purpose... make it so close to perfect so you settle, and then release another fixed version later. Heck they just did it with Liefeld era Cannonball.
I just received the retro Rogue and Gambit in the mail today from Target, so I totally get that.

I sorta give them a pass on Cannonball because they were clearly thinking outside the box and trying to do something different and cool. I think they were genuinely taken aback by the uproar over that one. Maybe they shouldn't have been, but at least they're making right by it.

That said, the Domino in that set seems slightly off to me. It's tough with the Liefeld characters because their costumes aren't even consistent page to page, (and that's not even getting into the fact that that character isn't even actually Domino) but the purple hue on the armor just doesn't feel right. Maybe it will look different in person.

Capullo era Rictor in a set with 2 Liefeld characters is a whole different deal that I won't even touch.

Back to Captain Britain, I just don't understand how you base everything around the card art and then don't do that costume. (Although the X-Force set does the same thing with series 2 Capullo designs advertising Liefeld characters.) Maybe I'm just salty because when Toybiz originally did Captain Britain, he was solicited as having the costume from the card, but ended up getting the same union jack costume he's getting now. Maybe they know that I just want to recreate the poster from X-Men #1 and after that I'm out. Gotta drag it out as long as they can.
Old 09-01-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I just received the retro Rogue and Gambit in the mail today from Target, so I totally get that.

I sorta give them a pass on Cannonball because they were clearly thinking outside the box and trying to do something different and cool. I think they were genuinely taken aback by the uproar over that one. Maybe they shouldn't have been, but at least they're making right by it.

That said, the Domino in that set seems slightly off to me. It's tough with the Liefeld characters because their costumes aren't even consistent page to page, (and that's not even getting into the fact that that character isn't even actually Domino) but the purple hue on the armor just doesn't feel right. Maybe it will look different in person.

Capullo era Rictor in a set with 2 Liefeld characters is a whole different deal that I won't even touch.

Back to Captain Britain, I just don't understand how you base everything around the card art and then don't do that costume. (Although the X-Force set does the same thing with series 2 Capullo designs advertising Liefeld characters.) Maybe I'm just salty because when Toybiz originally did Captain Britain, he was solicited as having the costume from the card, but ended up getting the same union jack costume he's getting now. Maybe they know that I just want to recreate the poster from X-Men #1 and after that I'm out. Gotta drag it out as long as they can.
Yeah, Robo from Fwoosh kind of encapsulates my complaints about that CB: the costume is off, the "X" on his chest is way too low, he's a little too small for Alan Davis-era roided out CB, and his helmet is actually supposed to be a helmet and not a mask, so it shouldn't conform to the shape of his nose. Nitpicks, all of them.

That Meggan however is a work of art. Sure I wanted an alternate face but with that hair the cost would have gone through the roof, I'm sure.
Old 09-01-21, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Robo from Fwoosh kind of encapsulates my complaints about that CB: the costume is off, the "X" on his chest is way too low, he's a little too small for Alan Davis-era roided out CB, and his helmet is actually supposed to be a helmet and not a mask, so it shouldn't conform to the shape of his nose. Nitpicks, all of them.

That Meggan however is a work of art. Sure I wanted an alternate face but with that hair the cost would have gone through the roof, I'm sure.
The X on the chest is what gets me. Like I said, I'm not even a huge Excalibur fan, but as soon as I saw it I knew it didn't look right. I couldn't articulate why it didn't look right because I'm not intimately familiar with it, but I knew it didn't look right. Shadowcat is a similar deal. I know they try to not be hyper specific to a certain artist but again, she just doesn't look right.

You're right though, Meggan is pretty great.
Old 09-02-21, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That is a strange decision. Maybe they went with the costumes they thought were more representative of the individual characters than matching them to any specific period; or they went with the costumes they thought were more visually dynamic. (Or they plan on releasing the other versions later, and anyone who wants Meggan in her Excalibur #1 outfit or CB in his later costume will have to rebuy the figures.)

I do think that this version Captain Britain (from Excalibur #1) is the better costume than the more streamlined one he got later, and I always sort of preferred Meggan's green costume to her yellowish one, which I thought was kind of generic.

It does, however, look like they cheaped out on Captain Britain's helmet for whatever reason. They have it painted on like a mask when it's actually a full helmet (sort of like a football helmet). Doesn't look like they would have had issues molding it, but who knows.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-21-21)
Old 09-02-21, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On a side note there's one guy who's in all the livestreams who loves the 90s Marvel trading cards (and hey, I loved them too, that Jim Lee art was amazing) and you can tell he has some pull because a lot of the Marvel Legends designs come straight from those cards/that era. This doom Galactus thing isn't from that era but just showing that their preferences make a difference in what gets produced. I think the Morg pick was a favorite of Jesse Falcon, for instance.
I would suspect that the early 90s costumes designs are the definitive costumes for a lot of people -- the popularity of comics exploded at that time, and a lot of the people who reading comics then were in their teens and twenties and are now the primary nostalgia market for these expensive action figures.

And, yeah, I'm that age group and will admit that the 1991 X-Men/X-Force designs are my favorites. Except for Wolverine; I really hate the blue and yellow costume they reverted back to, and much preferred the brown and ocher earth tones of his 80s costume, which I thought better fit his character. But, for the most part, they're the most dynamic designs the characters ever had.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-02-21 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That is a strange decision. Maybe they went with the costumes they thought were more representative of the individual characters than matching them to any specific period; or they went with the costumes they thought were more visually dynamic. (Or they plan on releasing the other versions later, and anyone who wants Meggan in her Excalibur #1 outfit or CB in his later costume will have to rebuy the figures.)

I do think that this version Captain Britain (from Excalibur #1) is the better costume than the more streamlined one he got later, and I always sort of preferred Meggan's green costume to her yellowish one, which I thought was kind of generic.

It does, however, look like they cheaped out on Captain Britain's helmet for whatever reason. They have it painted on like a mask when it's actually a full helmet (sort of like a football helmet). Doesn't look like they would have had issues molding it, but who knows.
But the odd thing about the costume is that it's just painted wrong. If you just look at the iconic Excalibur #1 cover, it's easy to see that the X is too thin and way too low.

The baffling thing about the helmet is that they released a more modern rendition of Captain Marvel earlier, and while I don't think they could have just repainted it, it does have the helmet-not-mask look:
Amazon Amazon

That and I don't remember the forehead being so prominent on Shadow Cat. Anyway, nitpicks all, it's not like I'm going to pass it up or anything, now gimme a Rachel.
John Pannozzi (12-21-21)
Old 09-02-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I would suspect that the early 90s costumes designs are the definitive costumes for a lot of people -- he popularity of comics explode at that time, and a lot of the people who reading comics at that time when they were in their teens and twenties are now the primary nostalgia market for these expensive action figures.

And, yeah, I'm that age group and will admit that the 1991 X-Men/X-Force designs are my favorites. Except for Wolverine; I really hate the blue and yellow costume they reverted back to, and much preferred the brown and ocher earth tones of his 80s costume, which I thought better fit his character. But, for the most part, they're the most dynamic designs the characters ever had.
I always wonder if I was alone in preferring Wolverine's 80's costume.
Old 09-02-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the brown costume too, but it's probably because of my love of the Phoenix Saga and it being the only graphic novel I owned for a long time (because back then they didn't really put out that many).
Old 09-02-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I always wonder if I was alone in preferring Wolverine's 80's costume.
There was a different one?
Old 09-02-21, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kitty's forehead does look really weird. If you can imagine her without the mask, she'd have quite a receding hairline.

Generally, in the comics, her hairline wasn't visible. It was either covered by her hair (bangs?) or concealed in shadow. They probably should have dropped her hairline down and extended the top of the mask up to it.

I'm not really bothered by the blue on Captain B's neck and chest. It was sort of inconsistent in the comics. I think they might have made the figure that way to either make the "X" on his chest more prominent, or because of the way the red/white/blue stripes go down his arms. They probably could have made the red "X" on his chest thicker on all sides, but that might have effected the way it extended down his arms.
John Pannozzi (12-21-21)
Old 09-02-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the brown costume too, but it's probably because of my love of the Phoenix Saga and it being the only graphic novel I owned for a long time (because back then they didn't really put out that many).
He wore the yellow and blue during the Phoenix saga. He switched to the brown after Jean died. I think it was explained as an expression of his mourning or something.

And the brown is definitely better.
Old 09-02-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kitty's forehead does look really weird. If you can imagine her without the mask, she'd have quite a receding hairline.

Generally, in the comics, her hairline wasn't visible. It was either covered by her hair (bangs?) or concealed in shadow. They probably should have dropped her hairline down and extended the top of the mask up to it.
What they should have done is give her a giant head of 80's hair to cover her forehead, which was one of her defining traits in that costume. This new figure has a much more modern hairstyle. I know sometimes they try to make these figures seem "timeless," despite the fact that these costumes are often tied to a very specific era. I don't get it at all. Especially with an online exclusive set like this which is literally being produced exclusively for hardcore nerds.
Old 09-13-21, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

This week’s Mego exclusives at Topps.com
Old 09-14-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

If I was a big Green Arrow fan, that's a neat Mego.
Red Hood (09-14-21)
Old 09-23-21, 02:08 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I got the Marvel Legends Infinity Series Endgame Thor and Iron Man Mark III in the mail today. Separate shipments, but Iron Man feels (and smells) like the box had been sitting in a puddle. Considering an exchange on that one. Thor is nice though, the lightning effects really add something extra to the figure.
Old 10-05-21, 04:41 PM
Banned

Old 10-05-21, 04:42 PM
Banned

And for our Canadian friends

Old 10-06-21, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Speaking of Funko Pops, I saw a whole mess of them being clearanced for $3 at Barnes & Noble. Looks like the chain is stripping down their media department.
Old 10-06-21, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think that Funko Pops will hit their saturation point any day now.

How long can they keep crapping these thing out for every movie, tv show, comic book, and video game? They're worse than Beanie Babies in that regard.

I suppose the individual collections can be customizable, ie, some people will only collect comic book Pops, some will only collect video game Pops, or Star Wars Pops, or whatever, but I suspect the number of actual collectors is probably very small and lots of them are sitting on thousands of them.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-06-21, 01:50 PM
Banned

The death of Funko Pops has been predicted since 2016 and somehow they are still running strong. Their strengths is that there are infinite amount of licenses available and with each new show, franchise, personality, etc, Funko can keep creating these figures for years. I see racks at Wal-Mart and Target and B&N full of these figures, and they don't seem to sell, yet they are still a key area for all stores that have collectible merchandise.
John Pannozzi (10-11-21)
Old 10-07-21, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I don't know if you'd consider this a collectible, exactly, but DC is giving away NFTs for FanDome registrants, and...err...

This means I'm rich now, right?

Edit: wait! They gave me another for "tweeting". All I did was click the button; didn't actually tweet anything.

They're both listed as "common", but come on all you millionaire Superman #86 superfans...I know you're out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.