Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Individual Comics VS Collections (TPB/Omnibus/Etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Individual Comics VS Collections (TPB/Omnibus/Etc)

Old 05-09-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts
Re: Individual Comics VS Collections (TPB/Omnibus/Etc)

Originally Posted by slop101
LOL, I guess not.

I've been pretty vigilant about getting Omnis soon as they come out, so I can get them at 40%-50% discount, to say nothing of the inflated price once they're out of print. It's tough to tell which titles will go out of print and how quickly, or if they'll get reprinted or not. So I'll just get them discounted as soon as they're released.
Yeah, I was out of comics for a couple decades. I can't remember now what it was that sucked me back in, but I bought a TPB of something and it flipped the switch for me. Ever since I've been in full-on GO mode for collecting Masterworks, Omnibi, Epic Collections, etc. Of the books in those pictures I think I only owned about 2 of them before last January.

Since then I've pre-ordered several Masterworks and 3 or 4 omnibi. But the stuff that's OOP is harder to get. Pricey. (I paid too much for Marvel Masterworks Captain America Vol 7, but it was about $50 less than the book usually sells for.)

The Busiek/Perez Avengers Omnibus Vol 1 sells for between $250 and $500. Crazy expensive. So since I got the Avengers Assemble books all together for only $100 I'm sticking with those and selling Vol 2 of the Omnibus.
Old 05-10-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

As long as we're sharing, here's my not so organized collection.
First pic is mostly Marvel with some other random DC and indie stuff, then the mostly DC shelves, which has some indie stuff as well, then the third pic is random spill-over shelves...

Spoiler:

The following 3 users liked this post by slop101:
davidh777 (10-14-20), Paul_SD (05-17-20), PhantomStranger (05-11-20)
Old 05-10-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
As long as we're sharing, here's my not so organized collection.
First pic is mostly Marvel with some other random DC and indie stuff, then the mostly DC shelves, which has some indie stuff as well, then the third pic is random spill-over shelves...

Spoiler:

Wow. That is a sweet collection. Nice. Well done!

What's your address? I'll provide, ummm... security, yeah, that's the ticket - security to make sure nothing happens to that collection when you're gone. (After the whole lockdown thing ends, of course.)

Old 05-11-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

They've since put out Volume 4 of the New Teen Titans omnibus.
Old 05-11-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I know, but it doesn't have Perez art. I get these more for the artists than to have a complete run of a book.
Old 05-11-20, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I just got that in the mail early last week. It looks good. Not as good as the Perez issues, but it looks good.

And I'm a fan of Marv Wolfman. His stories/scripts are usually good, sometimes very good.
Old 05-14-20, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got the first three NTT Omnis with Perez art; great comics - I was a huge fan of the series back in the day, and felt it was/is a better title than Uncanny X-men at the time. And, these Omnis have incredible restoration & color.

I was on the fence about getting Volume 4 due to it not having the Perez art (and I've also never read any of these issues, given that I stopped collecting the series back in the mid '80's). However, I eventually got this & am glad I did. Great art & stories; these are worthy follow-ups to the Perez run.

There is a 5th NTT Omni due out this Fall; I'm definitely getting this as well. I hope the entire Classic NTT series gets reprinted in Omni format.
Old 05-15-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the Bronze Age and Silver Age Titans omnibuses as well.
Old 10-14-20, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I didn't realize until just now the DC finally released one of my holy grails, the 5 years later Legion of Super Heroes series, in omnibus form. It's eligible for the B2G1F on Amazon but I think I'm just going to go with InStockTrades...
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (10-14-20)
Old 10-18-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't realize until just now the DC finally released one of my holy grails, the 5 years later Legion of Super Heroes series, in omnibus form. It's eligible for the B2G1F on Amazon but I think I'm just going to go with InStockTrades...
There are some fantastic hardcover/trade deals to be had using Target's B2G1F sale. And Target applies it to most every book they sell, unlike Amazon. I love InStockTrades but orders have been taking weeks to get filled of late with many things quickly going out of stock.