Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Individual Comics VS Collections (TPB/Omnibus/Etc)

Old 06-27-19, 02:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Individual Comics VS Collections (TPB/Omnibus/Etc)

For me, there are three+ formats vying for my time/space/$: singles, collections (multiple types at that), and digital.

In my perfect world, digital editions would be exact copies including all ads and letters pages and other ephemera. As it stands now, some digital books don’t even include the backup stories. But if they were complete, I’d go all digital except for special formatted books such as oversized treasuries and collections like Wednesday Comics, signed books, and hardcover collections of key runs that I re-read or peruse often.

But that will never happen unfortunately, and I can’t give up the comic book miscellany like ads and pin-ups, so my collection will always be a hodgepodge of multiple formats.
Old 07-27-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought the He-Man Omnibus by DC Comics that was on sale on Prime Day for $65 ($60 with the coupon). It has everything He-Man that DC has done but.... it's 1500 pages and 9 lbs. How am I supposed to be able to read this? The book is too fucking heavy and has too many pages that the spine won't be able to handle. It looks great and all but this should have been done in 2 separate volumes.
Old 07-28-19, 08:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I bought the He-Man Omnibus by DC Comics that was on sale on Prime Day for $65 ($60 with the coupon). It has everything He-Man that DC has done but.... it's 1500 pages and 9 lbs. How am I supposed to be able to read this? The book is too fucking heavy and has too many pages that the spine won't be able to handle. It looks great and all but this should have been done in 2 separate volumes.
Thatís a huge book. Mine arenít that big, but Iíve been reading my Omniboo sitting in bed with a pillow on my lap and the book resting on that. Protects me and the book I think.
Old 07-28-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like youíre not He-Man.

But seriously, thatís why I stopped buying absolute editions, and the larger omniboo also give me problems. I still buy a few but mostly read digital.

As far as the original topic, I nearly always buy digital collections, but am fine with singles when collections arenít available and actually like seeing the individual covers in my collection.

Old 07-28-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Sounds like youíre not He-Man.

Old 07-28-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Digital for me now. I prefer TPB or Omnibus editions, so as to binge read them. I only subscribe to individual issues if I really want to read the as they are released. I no longer buy the actual hardcopies of any graphic novels. My library also has a decent graphic novel collection and I can order whatever I want via inter-library loan.
Old 07-29-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still singles for me. This was my haul last month at Heroes Con

One dealer had fill a long box for $50, with tons of late 80s early 90s DC books, so thats the long box in the pic

Old 07-30-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Work out more? I typically read omnibuses with them laying flat on a large table surface. Not the most comfortable reading position but usually works for me.
Old 08-01-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone on one of the other boards picked up
one of these one of these
, and I'm probably going to get one as well. It certainly is cheap enough. I think I'll need another board on my lap to set it on when reading in a chair, but I need something with some of these books.
Would have loved to have picked up the Kirby Fourth World Omnibus, but I know 1500 pages, or whatever it was, is not going to be a comfortable read which means I'll never pull it out. I can hang with the 880 pagers like The Flash, JLA, and others- and I find the Marvels are comfortable enough at even slightly higher page counts than those, but physical fatigue definitely sets in after just two issues in a row.

I love the idea of an onmibus. But for actual reading pleasure, I find myself pulling out the epics more often. They're just so much more comfortable, despite a little gutter loss now and then.
Old 08-14-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DC Universe Bronze Age Omnibus(Jack Kirby 1970s stuff) is nearly 1500 pages and didn't have any problems reading it laying it on my couch with one hand underneath.

I am surprised no one is talking about it.

He(Kirby) also did some Super Powers(which is included) during that time period.