Reload this Page >

DC partners with Walmart

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC partners with Walmart

Old 07-10-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Re: DC partners with Walmart

oh I love the old ads, that was a huge part of the appeal to whatever company put out those dvd roms full of pdfs of old comics complete with ads. I actually love going through old video game and comic magazines.

Brian Hibbs, after a kind of long hiatus, wrote another Tilting at Windmills article and focused it on this Walmart initiative. I guess I didn't realize how much blowback there was in the retailer community, which when combined with what Phantom Stranger is saying about the Batman issue, is really sad to me because DC really seemed to be turning a corner.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at...ntent-and-ala/

It's worth reading but I'll paste the part where he details why he doesn't think it will really bring in new customers, and this is before all the collectors swooped in and bought them all anyway.

I particularly think that because this project seems unlikely to me to actually create new Direct Market readers. First and foremost because Walmart has been trying to sell comic magazines to Walmart customers for years, to very little success. This seems inherent to the combination of Walmart’s store layouts, the natural tendency of the Walmart customer to be a “value” customer, and the lack of store training and maintenance on the category. None of these things are likely to change especially with this new initiative, so it’s hard to see how the results change either.

Even if you take the most possible rosy prediction of customer creation, I think that selling someone a 100-pages-for-$5 package as an intro to a 22-pages-for-$4 package essentially is incredibly unlikely to work as a conversion device.
Old 07-10-18, 11:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

My LCBS said they heard from DC that the books aren’t meant for new readers. Not sure where that was said or how it makes any sense, but figured I’d pass it along. The employees there weren’t at all upset about these books or the Batman wedding thing.

I’ve decided I’m out on buying future issues. I pretty much own all the stuff they reprint, and the future collections will be a cheaper way to get the new material.
Old 07-11-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

I think it's a worthwhile experiment by DC, better than prior recent attempts by the big two to break into Walmart's distribution.

If it gets even 10,000 new readers exposed to comics across the country, the gimmick is worth it. While all of us grew up with some passing exposure to comic books, modern kids just don't come across comic books in "the wild" unless they happen to have an older relative that is a collector or reader.

A five-year-old is still impressed by the sharp colors and bright costumes of a comic book cover, even today. Maybe DC and Marvel need to get into K-6 educational books...
Old 07-11-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the thing, though, with superheroes so popular, kids have a lot of avenues into reading about superheroes. The "I can read" and "Little Golden Books" type of books have lots of superheroes in them, and there are lots of other cool books for kids. They're not exactly comic books, of course. But have you ever tried to read a modern superhero comic book to a five year old?
Old 07-11-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
My LCBS said they heard from DC that the books aren’t meant for new readers. Not sure where that was said or how it makes any sense, but figured I’d pass it along. The employees there weren’t at all upset about these books or the Batman wedding thing.
I find that hard to believe. Why would regular readers pick up a new comic featuring reprinted stories they probably already read?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think it's a worthwhile experiment by DC, better than prior recent attempts by the big two to break into Walmart's distribution.
Agree. Anything that gets comics back into the mainstream.

If it gets even 10,000 new readers exposed to comics across the country, the gimmick is worth it. While all of us grew up with some passing exposure to comic books, modern kids just don't come across comic books in "the wild" unless they happen to have an older relative that is a collector or reader.
Yeah, finding comics "in the wild" was my first exposure to comics too.
I took my little brothers to the comic shop but they're just not that into it. It's like they see it as an older person's hobby. I see some parents taking their kids into the shop too, to get them into comics and you can tell the kids don't want to be there.

A five-year-old is still impressed by the sharp colors and bright costumes of a comic book cover, even today. Maybe DC and Marvel need to get into K-6 educational books...
Are they?
I see 4 year olds in shopping carts playing with iPhones. I think printed material is just not that interesting to them.
Old 07-11-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Marvel is into educational books, I’ve seen kids with them at schools I’ve subbed at. My 6 and 3 year olds both love getting comics on free comic book day.
Old 07-12-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Marvel is into educational books, I’ve seen kids with them at schools I’ve subbed at. My 6 and 3 year olds both love getting comics on free comic book day.
I know Marvel had a hit in that market with Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. It's a completely different market largely controlled by school librarians.

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's the thing, though, with superheroes so popular, kids have a lot of avenues into reading about superheroes. The "I can read" and "Little Golden Books" type of books have lots of superheroes in them, and there are lots of other cool books for kids. They're not exactly comic books, of course. But have you ever tried to read a modern superhero comic book to a five year old?
Yes, I've found the Superman and Batman Adventures adaptations, inspired by the Timmverse cartoons, work really well with young children. My experience tells me kids even today eat them up. These are continuity-light comics that focus on simple plotlines and less realistic artwork using the animated cartoons' designs. They are great "starter comics" for children unfamiliar with comic book conventions.

Old 07-13-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have both Batman Adventures volume 1 and Superman adventures volume 1. I thought it would be great to read to my five year old but it's way too wordy. He does like the Art Baltazar books though.

Scholastic actually has a fantastic line of (non superhero) graphic novels, including the Bone color editions but also stuff like Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet and Raina Telgemeier's books.

A couple months ago DC announced separate lines targeted to young adults and middle schoolers that look fantastic. I know Superhero Girls are undergoing a change but the current version's graphic novels are also pretty good.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...dc-ink-dc-zoom
Old 07-16-18, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

When is issue #2 of these Giants being released at Wal-Mart?
Old 07-16-18, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Two new ones every two weeks, should have been yesterday or so.
Old 07-17-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to check then.

I never did find Teen Titans Giant #1, but found the other 3. I enjoyed the Superman, and Batman books. I haven't read the JLA book yet.
Old 07-18-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have both Batman Adventures volume 1 and Superman adventures volume 1. I thought it would be great to read to my five year old but it's way too wordy. He does like the Art Baltazar books though.

Scholastic actually has a fantastic line of (non superhero) graphic novels, including the Bone color editions but also stuff like Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet and Raina Telgemeier's books.

A couple months ago DC announced separate lines targeted to young adults and middle schoolers that look fantastic. I know Superhero Girls are undergoing a change but the current version's graphic novels are also pretty good.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...dc-ink-dc-zoom
It's funny this got brought up, because just this week Marvel announced they are starting an entire line aimed at children via IDW. Apparently someone in Marvel's offices doesn't want to be associated with "kid's comics" so Disney outsourced the line to a different company.
Old 07-18-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Edison
I need to check then.

I never did find Teen Titans Giant #1, but found the other 3. I enjoyed the Superman, and Batman books. I haven't read the JLA book yet.
Reports indicated that Teen Titans was the hardest issue to find in the first wave.
Old 07-18-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's funny this got brought up, because just this week Marvel announced they are starting an entire line aimed at children via IDW. Apparently someone in Marvel's offices doesn't want to be associated with "kid's comics" so Disney outsourced the line to a different company.
Are we talking Disney comics (and I include Big Hero 6 as Disney at this point) or actual Marvel comics published by someone else for kids? Why in the world would they outsource that?
Old 07-18-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are we talking Disney comics (and I include Big Hero 6 as Disney at this point) or actual Marvel comics published by someone else for kids? Why in the world would they outsource that?
Actual Marvel comics by IDW.
I don't really understand it either.

IDW Publishing will launch a new line of all-ages comics featuring Marvel Comics characters, the publisher announced today as part of their run up to Comic Con International in San Diego later this week.

According to a press release, the two companies will develop middle-grade comic books designed for younger readers. Featuring some of Marvel’s most popular characters, the monthly issues and trade paperback collections, published by IDW, will be available for sale at local comic book shops and book retailers across the country, expanding opportunities for the next generation of Super Heroes to experience the Marvel Universe.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07/...el-characters/
Old 07-19-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reports indicated that Teen Titans was the hardest issue to find in the first wave.
I can believe that. I checked at least 6 stores in the area for Teen Titans, and didn't find a single one. I seen on reddit where some stores supposedly got restocked, but I haven't seen that here.

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I found the DC press release which states...

... Each of the four titles – SUPERMAN GIANT, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA GIANT, BATMAN GIANT and TEEN TITANS GIANT – will arrive in stores by July 1. Beginning in August, the Superman and Justice League titles will arrive in week one of each month, with the second pair, Batman and Teen Titans, arriving approximately two weeks later. ...
So we should see #2 of Superman/Justice league the first week of August, and #2 Batman/Teen Titans around the middle of August.
Old 07-19-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I went to Walmart for the first time in about a month, and went looking for these. They had a display box out but the new stuff was gone and it was filled with a bunch of older reprints, basically rebirth number ones stuff. They were only five bucks, but I guess they actually entered retail at 10 bucks, which is way too expensive.
Old 07-26-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These are still out there. I don't normally make $20 impulse buys, but I spotted them when I went to a self check-out & had to take a look. So much fun to see big colorful comics when you don't expect. Hopefully they'll be fun to read too. I liked that I could go in, get a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, oh & I'll take some of them funnybooks too. I still buy an occasional action figure, but probably haven't bought a comic book in about 20 years. Don't know if this will lead anywhere...
Old 07-29-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think some stores may have gotten restocks of the first issues. Venturing into a Walmart I rarely visit, they had the full assortment of #1 issues, including the Titans.
Old 08-03-18, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

No word on issue #2s that were supposed to hit the shelves on August 1st. Some Wal-Marts have re-stocked on the 4 issue #1s but no one online has seen any second issues.
Old 08-03-18, 09:17 PM

Yeah, my local store restocked the number 1s. Could have sworn DC said no reprints, just upping print runs on subsequent issues. So I paid $9 for one I thought I missed to be shipped to me.
Old 08-04-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I visited a local Wal-Mart yesterday and they had the second issues of Superman and Justice League.
Old 08-12-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Super X
I visited a local Wal-Mart yesterday and they had the second issues of Superman and Justice League.
I checked on 8/3, and the guy that stocked that merchandise was there. He only had #1 issues to restock (Teen Titans/Superman).

I went back on 8/10 though, and the #2 issues (Superman/Justice League) were out.
Old 08-14-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didio gave an interview about this program on one of the comic book sites. Apparently another company versed in stocking at Walmart is handling distribution. DC doesn't have to accept returns for unsold books.

I have yet to see the second issues, though it seemed like most stores got heavy restocks of the #1s around the beginning of the month.
Old 08-14-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I found the Second issues over the weekend. About a week behind schedule but from what I hear, most Wal-Marts stocked them this weekend. I'm guessing that means Batman and Teen Titans will be out in two weeks instead of one.

The first Wal-Mart I went to CRAMMED the new books in that back DC display pocket. Everything was damaged. I ended up picking the books up at another Wal-Mart that had 8 copies of each new issue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.