Reload this Page >

DC partners with Walmart

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC partners with Walmart

Old 08-05-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: DC partners with Walmart

Bleeding Cool got some info regarding the new Giant program.
  • I am told that the production and packaging on these new volumes is, and I quote, ‘going to be spectacular’ and a step up on the magazines that have reached Walmart and Target so far. Upcoming magazines will include pull out posters, huge maps, fold-out 4 page spreads and more.
  • Even though they are no longer exclusive, Walmart will have more end-caps for these in many stores.
  • I am also told that the number of Walmarts carrying the DC Giant line has been increasing in recent weeks. If a local Walmart to you did not carry these books, they may well now – though with fewer copies to begin with.
  • I am also told to keep my ears and eyes open on the Tabloid/Treasury-style format as Walmart is very interested in pursuing this kind of high-end approach as well, ahead of the Christmas holiday season.
  • And yes, while these comics may not be exclusive to Walmart and Target any more – they will get them before comic shops. The new line planned for October in comic stores, should be in Walmart and Targets on around September 20th
The final "exclusives" will ship in mid-August. Tom King's Superman story is two parts behind and it is currently unknown how it will round out after August. There is no relaunched Superman Giant announced yet.

First relaunched titles will be Scooby-Doo 50th Anniversary Giant #1 on September 25th.

More at the link:

Bleeding Cool
Old 08-05-19, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I've read that the Wal-Mart covers will be different from the comic book store ones.

I would love DC Comics to get back into the Treasury format. They haven't done anything since the JLA Liberty and Justice Treasury back in 2003. Marvel got back in the game several years ago releasing a Spidey, Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men Grand Design in Treasury formats
Old 08-05-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

That's interesting, it's almost recreating the split that happened with direct market and newsstand editions. They still skew way older than my kids as far as content goes but I hope they're at least picking up a few more fans along the way and it's not just all collectors.
Old 08-05-19, 07:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Sounds great, thanks for the info Vale. As long as it’s just the timing and covers that are exclusive to Walmart, I’m very much looking forward to ordering these with my regular comics for 40-50% off.
Old 08-05-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ That's my goal as well.
Old 08-12-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

Interesting info, though my experience with these books the past two months at Walmart has been severely underwhelming. My travels bring me over a wide and diverse set of Walmart locations, from Super Walmarts to the smaller ones competing with CVS, and I regularly end up in them for brief pick-ups. I almost always check out this section and distribution has become really erratic this summer. Many locations that used to carry this line have more or less given up - I often only encounter old stock leftover from last year. I've actually been having problems finding Batman #13.
Old 08-16-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

August books are out. I actually caught the guy as he was stocking. Was able to get the "better" books before they hit the bin. We were discussing the changes to the program and (of course) he had no idea what was coming up. He thought it was going to be interesting doing this on a weekly basis since they had issues doing them on a bi-weekly one.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 08-17-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 08:37 PM
Banned

So the funny thing is that my closest Wal-Mart, which rarely stocked these books, now has all issues from 8-13 of the original series and 3-6 of the newer ones but not one copy of this month's books. The other WM 15 minutes away had the same plus copies of the last batch of original WM books. 90% of these books were damaged one way or another. I was able to get a copy of each but some of them have dings or printing issues on the cover. On the plus side, I was able to get the 35 years of TMNT set that includes a reprint of TMNT issue #1 (1984) with a new cover by Kevin Eastman.

As for the future of these Giant Size issues, the new solicitations for DC Comics say what books are coming out in December, including a Christmas: Crisis on Infinite Earth Giant Size #1. It also seems that all books start with #1 as Valeyard posted above from the BC report

https://www.newsarama.com/46215-dc-c...IUKIR-CnFpNe8o
Old 08-17-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Interested to see what's in that Crisis Giant. Will the new story tie in to the CW crossover or the original Crisis mini-series? Probably the first one.

Looks like the Superman Giant will go to Issue 15 to round out the Tom King story. All other titles mention a new Giant #1 except for Superman. That one has a next month blurb.
Old 08-17-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Superman Giant has been the best of the line.
Old 08-30-19, 08:18 PM

Nothing really new to this thread, but it was nice to put in my August order and be able to pre-order a future batch at 10 books for $24.90, and with the re-launched line having 24 pages of new material to boot!
This bundle includes the titles: SCOOBY DOO 50TH ANNIVERSARY GIANT #1 FLASH GIANT #1 BATMAN GIANT #1 DC VILLAINS GIANT #1 WONDER WOMAN GIANT #1 SWAMP THING GIANT #1 AQUAMAN GIANT #1 DC GHOSTS GIANT #1 TEEN TITANS GO GIANT #1 DC SUPER HERO GIRLS GIANT #1

Publisher: DC Comics/DC Giants
Product Code: AUG190463A
Expected Ship Date:
Regular Price: $49.90
DCBS Price: $24.90
Old 09-12-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on a DC Comics tweet, Superman Giant #15 is on sale this weekend.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 09-13-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From what I can tell, Walmarts aren't stocking these issues in the same quantities as last year.
Old 09-13-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Walmart had all the new DC Giants today.

Superman Giant #15 (with #16 on the way next month).
Batman Giant #1
Villains Giant #1
Scooby-Doo Giant #1
Wonder Woman Giant #1
Flash Giant #1
Swamp Thing Giant #1
Ghosts Giant #1

Outside of the Superman Giant, the Walmart versions list “Mass Market Edition” in their copyright.

The Superman Giant matches the look of the rest.

Format-wise, they are exactly the same as the previous Giants.

I only picked up the Superman Giant since it's the only one exclusive to Walmart. Tho.... I was tempted to grab the rest. They were all in great condition.

Old 09-14-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll give it to DC - this at least places comics before youngsters that may have never seen an actual comic book in their life. I bet that Villains book sells out quickly.
Old 09-15-19, 03:12 PM

I was hoping the exclusiveness was over, but guess I’ll need to go find that Superman 15. Any confirmed news on that one ending? Were they just finishing up the various stories before relaunching non-exclusive?
Old 09-15-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe #16 is the last Walmart issue before relaunching. They just need to finish the King-Kubert story.
Old 09-15-19, 08:48 PM
Banned

Are the covers going to be the same for the issues that aren't exclusives to WMs or are LCS going to have a different cover for their issues? The MASS MARKET EDITION thing will make it a thing to get for collectors if this doesn't show up on the LCS versions. If both versions are the same, I will most likely pick mine from DCBS or Midtown or my LCS. Also, didn't see these 2 which are also supposed to be out this month

TEEN TITANS GO GIANT #1
DC SUPER HERO GIRLS GIANT #1

I picked them all today and it seems that they were in much better condition than last month's issues. WM also got a new standee for these issues.
Old 09-16-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Mass Market Editions covers will be different from the LCS covers.
Old 09-20-19, 11:21 AM

So, after giving in and being 100% in tracking these Walmart 100 pagers so far, I’m a bit worried about getting those last exclusive Superman issues. One I drive by each work day got the new shipment in, but I missed the Superman Issue. They had all the new #1s, but the Supes #15 was sold out.

Checked my 3 miles away location Wednesday and nothing new but tons of the older issues and the usual shelves and shelves of cards. Checked it today and the entire collectibles area is empty. Guy said they cleaned it all out and he isn’t sure if they’re coming back to this location.
Old 09-22-19, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Distribution has gotten very erratic at Walmart on these issues. They clearly aren't a priority for the section like they were a year ago.
Old 09-22-19, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
So, after giving in and being 100% in tracking these Walmart 100 pagers so far, I’m a bit worried about getting those last exclusive Superman issues. One I drive by each work day got the new shipment in, but I missed the Superman Issue. They had all the new #1s, but the Supes #15 was sold out.

Checked my 3 miles away location Wednesday and nothing new but tons of the older issues and the usual shelves and shelves of cards. Checked it today and the entire collectibles area is empty. Guy said they cleaned it all out and he isn’t sure if they’re coming back to this location.
If you need a Superman #15 let me know as the local WM had like 5 copies. They are NM, but I know you are more of a reader than a collector.
Old 09-25-19, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
If you need a Superman #15 let me know as the local WM had like 5 copies. They are NM, but I know you are more of a reader than a collector.
Jason is a rock star for offering and grabbing an extra copy for me. I ended up needing to take a drive today, and found a couple copies at a ‘foreign’ Walmart. So I have an extra if anyone ends up needing one. I’ll just return it in a couple weeks if no one needs it.
Old 09-26-19, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw the Direct Edition of the Scooby Doo Giant at my LCS today. It begins.
Old 09-26-19, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
Jason is a rock star for offering and grabbing an extra copy for me. I ended up needing to take a drive today, and found a couple copies at a ‘foreign’ Walmart. So I have an extra if anyone ends up needing one. I’ll just return it in a couple weeks if no one needs it.
Always here to help a fellow comic book fan!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.