Reload this Page >

DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Old 12-02-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

If anyone wants a random assortment of ten different NEW 52 issues, Ollie's has them for $5.99.
Old 12-04-17, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

New DC Banners

Old 12-21-17, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I read yesterday that both Blue Beetle and Cyborg are being canceled. Both titles have never really hooked me in, so not a huge loss.
Old 01-19-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Well, they revealed at least one of the surprises Action Comics 1000 will have... a costume "redesign."

I'm happy, but it really makes the new 52 seem more and more like just a huge mistake.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-19-18 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

I read that it featured old and new elements but it looks exactly like the classic costume. What am I missing that's updated?
Old 01-19-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I like my male heroes with no underwear.
Old 01-19-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I like my male heroes with no underwear.
Your preference that everyone goes commando when putting on spandex is not really appropriate for this thread, GR...
Old 01-19-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Love this. Love this so much!
Old 01-19-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Your preference that everyone goes commando when putting on spandex is not really appropriate for this thread, GR...
Old 01-19-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I read that it featured old and new elements but it looks exactly like the classic costume. What am I missing that's updated?
The wrist things are new/52/rebirth elements.
Old 01-19-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I’m so happy the trunks are coming back. The big unbroken mass of blue always looked wrong to me.
Old 01-19-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it too. What's the point of being Superman if you can't wear your underwear on the outside of your pants?
Old 01-19-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I will admit to a few tears of joy when I first read the red trunks are coming back. If this is all we get out of the Justice League movie being a huge disappointment at the box office, this is the one saving grace that makes everything worth it.

I was very worried that Warner and DC had permanently abandoned the red trunks. I suspect if the New 52 and current DC movieverse had been better received, the trunks would have been gone for good.

There were hints along the way the trunks were coming back. I remember Jon, Superman's son, saying he liked the red trunks costume better than the new one.
Old 01-20-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Much, much better! The all blue costume never looked good to me.
Old 01-22-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Superman looks really old and boring in that Jim Lee illustration.
The movie costume is probably the best so far.
Old 01-22-18, 07:34 PM
Banned

DC should have had Jerry Ordway do a Superman drawing to be the face of the red trunks relaunch.

In other DC news, Doomsday Clock has now become a bi-monthly book due to Gary Frank being behind on schedule with his art.

https://www.newsarama.com/38273-doom...k-delayed.html
Old 01-22-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

So 2 years for Doomsday Clock? Damn, I love Gary Frank but that's a long time for a maxi series.
Old 01-22-18, 09:26 PM
Banned

The book may get back to regular schedule according to Frank. I thought this book was pivotal to the big picture Rebirth story. If it is, they need to hurry the hell out of it.
Old 01-23-18, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I love Frank but this always happens. He never has enough issues in the can before #1 comes out.
Old 01-23-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Gary Frank is an amazing comic artist. He walks that fine line between realistic and stylized.
But it's too bad that the American comic industry doesn't have a way to adapt to tight schedules. I think in Japan they're on weekly/monthly schedules, but many artists have assistants that do the backgrounds.

So what's everyone's thoughts on The Doomsday Clock? I think the the general idea is lame. Superman meets Dr. Manhattan.
DC already has these characters in their universe: Captain Atom, The Question, etc.
I think the mystery is kind of cool from the preview pages I read, but it comes across as desperate and a little unprofessional or fan-fiction-y.

The new covers look great though, that sideways title, with the colorful close up of some item, like the costume of the marionette/mime. It's too bad that DC couldn't come up with a somewhat NEW storyline, that had the same feel to it. Use their old characters, but create new world building storylines.
Old 01-23-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Doomsday Clock could be interesting, but it will all depend on where it goes and how it wraps up.
Old 01-23-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
I think Gary Frank is an amazing comic artist. He walks that fine line between realistic and stylized.
But it's too bad that the American comic industry doesn't have a way to adapt to tight schedules. I think in Japan they're on weekly/monthly schedules, but many artists have assistants that do the backgrounds.
In Japan they have weekly schedules, but as you say many assistants (usually) and usually in black and white, plus the schedule is often so intense with no breaks that they break down eventually with sickness or injury. The problem with American comics is that everything is so intertwined, by design, so when a comic that is supposed to tie everything together is late, it screws everything up, as Marvel can attest. But the alternative is a fill in artist, and for that to work you need to get a good artist (like Ron Lim taking over for Perez in IG), or splitting duties between multiple artists, which... doesn't always work out for the best.
Old 01-23-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
In Japan they have weekly schedules, but as you say many assistants (usually) and usually in black and white, plus the schedule is often so intense with no breaks that they break down eventually with sickness or injury.
why-being-a-manga-artist-is-terrible

Damn, that sounds like it sucks.
But two of the artists cited at the beginning of the article are also the writers and creators of their respective works (Naruto and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clain).

It seems less common for mainstream comic artists to also write for the titles they're working on.

The problem with American comics is that everything is so intertwined, by design, so when a comic that is supposed to tie everything together is late, it screws everything up, as Marvel can attest.
But the alternative is a fill in artist, and for that to work you need to get a good artist (like Ron Lim taking over for Perez in IG), or splitting duties between multiple artists, which... doesn't always work out for the best.
I remember DC created the All-Star line, where "all-star" artists and writers could create stories for their classic characters, independent of continuity and a monthly deadline. All-Star Batman and Robin, and All-Star Superman were both bi-monthly.
Frank Quitely still couldn't meet a bi-monthly deadline, and it took Jim Lee six months to finish an issue at one point. ASB&R never did get completed to my knowledge.

I think the style of traditional superhero comic art is much more difficult to maintain for a monthly publication compared to that of manga. American comic artists usually go for that hyper-realism, like in the case of Gary Frank, or very minute, extra lined detail like in the case of Art Adams or Travis Charest.

I think the only guy who was considered a super star and also made monthly and even bi-weekly deadlines was Todd McFarlane on Amazing Spider-man.

Last edited by brayzie; 01-23-18 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is going a little off topic, but I posted an article in another topic on this board where basically the old school artists were getting mad at guys like McFarlane, partly because he couldn't stay on-model (his MJ was very different from the guide the artists were given) and also partly because of the intricate linework. It's not that the older artists couldn't do intricate linework, it's that it took a lot more time and they had changed their craft in order to pump out multiple books on time.

It's clear that when Image was formed, mainly from artists turned writers, they wanted to spend more time on their art and that, plus the absence of a strong editorial team able to crack the whip on them, meant that they were infamous for delay after delay. I mean each of these guys, Liefeld, McFarlane, Portacio, Lee, etc., were able to pump out comics month after month for Marvel and then couldn't put two issues together in the span of three months.

Long before McFarlane, though, George Perez was able to do intricate linework for a ton of books at a time (even for Infinity Gauntlet, which I mentioned earlier, he only had to stop because he was breaking down due to simultaneously writing and drawing Wonder Woman and the DC crossover War of the Gods... and he still inked the rest of the series over Ron Lim. the guy is a machine).

And there are manga artists able to do detailed artwork at a remarkable rate, though a lot of the ones who do more intricate stuff stick to a monthly schedule instead. I mean Art Adams is basically a manga-influenced artist (and he even did the covers for the American version of Masamune Shirow's Appleseed). But yes, oftentimes, if they aren't working with a separate writer, they need to do plot, storyboards, consult with editors, draw the pages, week after week, with the looming threat of cancellation due to not being popular in the comic polls. Bakuman is perhaps not 100% accurate but it gives you a good idea of what it's like to work in that industry.
Old 01-24-18, 07:16 PM
Banned

Is Gary Frank doing some other book that I don't know about? I like his art and all, but it seems that he is simply one of those guys who can't keep on schedule, no matter how much (or little work) he has. For such an important book, DC should have put more pressure on Frank to have stuff done instead of going bi-monthly. That's how people lose interest in books and how comic book lose sales.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.