Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 04:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If you want to talk about randomly killing off a character...

Spoiler:
New 52 haters must have loved Pandora getting wiped out in a couple of panels. The way it was written, I wouldn't expect to ever see her return. I actually think we might see the return of New 52 Superman down the road. That is possibly why his death is underwhelming.
Yes, that was a funny one. All that was missing was a "POW!" panel.
Old 05-30-16, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

There is interesting fan speculation about who the Mr. Oz character really is, apparently he's from the New 52 Superman book.
Old 05-31-16, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

DC Rebirth is sold out so I haven't had a chance to read it. One shop in my area did have Justice League #50 though. I flipped through it, and despite the art looking very sharp,
Spoiler:
all I really noticed was lots of pages of the Justice League on what looks like Apokolips, and repeated scenes of an evil woman with a baby (Superwoman from Earth 2?)

I was gonna buy it but the only page that interested me was the spoiler of Batman telling Hal that he didn't get the Joker's identity because there are three.

I was a little confused though because I thought the issue would feature the REBIRTH Justice Leauge, but New52 Superman is featured in the story. But he dies to make room for the "real" Superman to come back. So...are the other New52 DC heroes the same heroes from the regular DC Universe who have just been living in their own timeline which has been altered, or are they separate characters existing in a separate timeline like Earth 2, Earth 3, Earth B, etc?

I don't think I'm going to be getting back into DC or Marvel any time soon. It's great they're bringing back the real Superman, whatever that means, but there's not much incentive to follow or care about what happens in the core titles since there's so many other avenues available to follow the further adventures of the DC Universe.

For Batman alone there's:
-The Batman Arkham games
-The new Batman film franchise starting with B v S, and Suicide Squad
-Batman Earth One graphic novels by Geoff Johns
-various Batman cartoons always airing (Batman Unlimited, Brave and the Bold, etc)
-Injustice: Gods Among US comic and video game

and probably a whole lot more I can't think of.

The only comic I'm following regularly is Attack on Titan. It's successful enough to have adaptations in other media, as well as some spin-offs, but I'm fairly certain that they're all based on what's happening in the manga. There isn't to my knowledge multiple official mangas out there telling different versions of the same story, competing with itself. The pace can of the manga can be frustrating at times, but the it's a pretty unique concept, and the title itself is relatively new, so it's a much more exciting read than what's going on in DC.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-31-16 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Is there 2 or 3 issues of anything I should read before Rebirth 1?
I thought I saw that JL 50 is one.
Old 06-03-16, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Superman #52 (Death of the New52 Superman). It was the conclusion of a two month long storyline.

The Titans Hunt mini-series also hit some of the stuff that popped up in Rebirth #1 (The Titans started to remember things).
Old 06-04-16, 09:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Is there 2 or 3 issues of anything I should read before Rebirth 1?
I thought I saw that JL 50 is one.
The two Valeyard mentioned and the JL long Darkseid war storyline are what I've heard.

But I haven't read any current DC book since 2012 and I followed it fine. I don't think reading any of those three longish storylines would help all that much.
Old 06-04-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. You can go into Rebirth #1 clean.
Old 06-04-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok thanks
Old 06-04-16, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh I just figured out where I saw that note about what to read first.

I got the sample of the 1st 3 pages.
The bottom of page one has a note.

Old 06-05-16, 07:22 AM

It was at the bottom of page one on the digital (and I imagine physical) actual comic as well.
Old 06-05-16, 12:00 PM
Banned by request

I read the comics they said to read first and they do not seem essential to me.
Old 06-05-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I'll probably pick up Rebirth at some point just to read it but I don't think I'll start buying titles regularly. I'm curious with where they're going with some of it and I like that it's getting away from the New 52 which I'm not a big fan of. Not sure if I like Watchmen being integrated into the universe or the idea that there are three separate Jokers.
Old 06-09-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you haven't yet, pick up/download Flash: Rebirth #1. It is essentially DC Universe Rebirth #2. It picks up immediately after that issue.
Old 06-09-16, 03:48 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
If you haven't yet, pick up/download Flash: Rebirth #1. It is essentially DC Universe Rebirth #2. It picks up immediately after that issue.
That's good to know, because of last week's Rebirth titles, only Superman was a necessary read.
Old 06-10-16, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

So how was Superman Rebirth #1? I saw it at the comic shop. Doug Mahnke's work has gotten even better, really stylish but detailed line work. I flipped through it but it looked like the comic was just retelling old stuff. There was a part where Superman is mentioning how he died at the hands of Doomsday but came back, then showing his resurrection wearing the black and silver suit.

Ok, just found a review here.
Doesn't sound terribly interesting.
Old 06-10-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a catch up issue which ends with pre-Flashpoint Kal-El deciding to take over as Superman. This week's Action Comics was much better (IMO).
Old 06-23-16, 06:55 PM

Well, I hope my love for Rebirth #1 at least halfway holds thru the first wave of the line. I had previously ordered the first month's full bundle from DCBS (60% off), and just now decided to bite the bullet and order the second month's bundles (50% off). So I think I'll wait until both boxes arrive and have a ~100 issue Rebirthed marathon weekend.
Old 06-25-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Well, I hope my love for Rebirth #1 at least halfway holds thru the first wave of the line. I had previously ordered the first month's full bundle from DCBS (60% off), and just now decided to bite the bullet and order the second month's bundles (50% off). So I think I'll wait until both boxes arrive and have a ~100 issue Rebirthed marathon weekend.
Now you have to find the time to read all those issues.
Old 06-25-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Now you have to find the time to read all those issues.
On a side note, you know what's sad? I bought all the miniseries for Secret Wars from DCBS as they were coming out and still haven't read all of them. I think the monthly grind just isn't for me anymore.
Old 06-26-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
On a side note, you know what's sad? I bought all the miniseries for Secret Wars from DCBS as they were coming out and still haven't read all of them. I think the monthly grind just isn't for me anymore.
Rarely do I have the time or inclination anymore to read more than three or four issues in a row. It's made reading longer hardcovers a real pain.
Old 06-26-16, 03:40 PM

Rarely do I have the time or inclination anymore to read more than three or four issues in a row. It's made reading longer hardcovers a real pain.
Yeah, I'm pretty similar lately. As a kid, I could read 50 comics a day (probably 12 hours there); but nowadays I maybe do an hour tops.

Of course, that hour is 3-4 older comics or up to 10 modern books. Crazy that we spend $4-5 for 5 minutes of entertainment.....
Old 06-26-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The really weird thing is, I can marathon a ton of manga chapters no problem, and I read some of those weekly and they keep my attention. I think it's because the creators not changing constantly make a long narrative easier to read. I feel the same about omnibus collecting stuff from a single creative run.
Old 11-02-16, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what do people think of Rebirth so far? I have to say I don't really understand the hype or the sales, but it's likely I'm just not reading the major titles.

I dipped my toe into two titles. Batgirl, because even with the new creative direction I was really enjoying the new 52 series, and Titans, because I love the old school Teen Titans.

Batgirl has the usually phenomenal art we get from Rafa but it just feels like there are gigantic leaps in logic and jet setting for the sake of showing new locales. Titans has terrible, 80s Image Brett Booth art and a story that is going nowhere after four issues. I'm close to dropping both.

It's not that I'm a Marvel zombie either, I've just started Champions and will start Nova, and on a lark I'm getting Death of X but that's about it for monthlies. I am going through a lot of stuff I've missed via MCU though.
Old 11-03-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the Rebirth books. I'm picking up Action Comics, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lanterns, Suicide Squad, Superwoman and Supergirl. Action and Green Lanterns are my two favorites of the bunch. I just dropped Justice League. I loved Hitch's Justice League of America run (hopefully, they'll finish it!) but his Justice League run is meh. I'm trying out the first arc on Supergirl.

I dropped Batman after #6 tho I heard the past two issues (#9 & 10) are much better.

Marvel-wise, the only ongoing series I'm reading is Star Wars and I plan to drop that after #25. It went from entertaining to dull after the Vader Down crossover. Mini-series: Clone Conspiracy and Civil War II. I may add Star Wars: Doctor Aphra because I loved the Vader series so much.

Everything else is Indie titles (Doctor Who books, Bloodshot Reborn, Rough Riders, Afterlife with Archie).
Old 11-03-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

The only one I'm reading is Blue Beetle. So far it's fun, but it's only a couple of issues in, so I suppose it might be too early to tell. I have next to no prior history with either version of Blue Beetle, and am only reading it because Scott Kolins is doing the art, so feel free to take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.