Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Reboot/Marketing Stunt- Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Marvel Reboot/Marketing Stunt- Fall 2015

Originally Posted by Timber
It's not just the early Lobdell run that was criticized. He got worse as time went by. He was just so bland but it's possible that editorial was really writing X-Men by then.
Really? I remembering buying one or two issues of Uncanny when he and Joe Maudeira were on the title and I thought it was fun, nothing stood out as bad or boring but it was a long time ago. I did however really enjoy his writing on X-Men/WildCATs and WildCATs.
Oh yeah, he also wrote Generation X which I thought was pretty good. Then again, I had been reading quite a bit of Rob Liefeld comics so maybe the standard for quality had gotten just really low.
Old 06-11-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
The story I remember reading years ago was that Claremont had planned to kill off Wolverine at the end of the opening arc of the new X-Men series, and have him be dead for a bit before being resurrected as the Hand's master assassin and running around the Marvel universe as a bad guy. The X-office shot that down telling him that Wolverine had to appear in 10 other books each month, as well as his own series, and what was Larry Hama supposed to do with a dead title character each month. Claremont wasn't happy and decided to leave.
When Chris Claremont came back to Marvel and began writing X-Men Forever in 2009, it was advertised as a continuation of his original run. So an alt-universe kinda thing, that resumes where he left off. One of the first things he did was kill Wolverine.
Old 06-11-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Really? I remembering buying one or two issues of Uncanny when he and Joe Maudeira were on the title and I thought it was fun, nothing stood out as bad or boring but it was a long time ago. I did however really enjoy his writing on X-Men/WildCATs and WildCATs.
Oh yeah, he also wrote Generation X which I thought was pretty good. Then again, I had been reading quite a bit of Rob Liefeld comics so maybe the standard for quality had gotten just really low.
No you're right, the Maudeira era was fun. I think it had more to do with the art style than the writing but I will give Lobdell some credit for that.
Old 06-11-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 983 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
According to Marvel Comcis: the Untold Story by Sean Howe adjectiveless X-Men was given to John Bryne after Claremont left. He was planning on staying on the title but he was having problems doing the dialogue because Jim Lee was so late in getting the artwork done and sending it to him. Byrne complained to Bob Harras about this. At some point Harras asked Byrne to do a an entire script overnight. He said no, and Harras asked other people who also said no. Then Scott Lobdell showed up and said he could do it and that is how Lobdell got the gig.

Is Lobdell's willingness to rush out an entire story overnight possibly one of the reasons why his early X-Men run is criticized? I never stuck around past the first issue of his and Art Thibert's run because the interiors looked like a poor man's Jim Lee.
Art Thibert only did two issues of X-Men as penciller during that time (#'s 12 & 13) and they were both with Fabian Nicieza.

Even though Lobdell had started scripting Jim Lee's plots with X-Men #6 and Uncanny #286, I don't think you can really judge him on those stories. They weren't really his. Lobdell's run didn't really start in full force until after X-Cutioner's Song, which was mostly Fabian Nicieza's deal.

It's been a loooong time since I've read any of it, but my memory of Lobdell's run is that it mostly consisted of editorially mandated crossovers mixed with directionless filler. Claremont was able to juggle dozens of plotlines, but when he was at his best the book still had a certain forward momentum issue to issue. Lobdell's early run just seems to randomly bounce around from plot to plot with no real purpose or intrigue. A ton of time was spent trying to make the Acolytes matter, but they never really took off as characters. He did seem to do well on one-off "quiet" issues. I know the issue where Illanya dies is well thought of by some people. He also was one of the architects of Age of Apocalypse which a lot of people love. I still think Bob Harras, who in his defense was acting on behalf of the corporate overlords at Marvel, is the one who should get much of the blame for that era.
Old 06-11-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
When Chris Claremont came back to Marvel and began writing X-Men Forever in 2009, it was advertised as a continuation of his original run. So an alt-universe kinda thing, that resumes where he left off. One of the first things he did was kill Wolverine.
It would have been really interesting to see X-men Forever continuity fold into the Secret Wars event.
Old 06-11-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The story I remember reading years ago was that Claremont had planned to kill off Wolverine at the end of the opening arc of the new X-Men series, and have him be dead for a bit before being resurrected as the Hand's master assassin and running around the Marvel universe as a bad guy. The X-office shot that down telling him that Wolverine had to appear in 10 other books each month, as well as his own series, and what was Larry Hama supposed to do with a dead title character each month. Claremont wasn't happy and decided to leave.
I remember hearing about that idea. Claremont's idea would have been a great direction for Wolverine as a character but unworkable as the most popular character at the company. Wolverine had supplanted Spider-Man by this point as Marvel's most popular character and turning him into a dead villain would have prevented his dozens of guest appearances each month.

What they should have done is have two Wolverines running around, one a master assassin and a normal one. They could have had their cake and eaten it too.
Old 06-11-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 983 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I remember hearing about that idea. Claremont's idea would have been a great direction for Wolverine as a character but unworkable as the most popular character at the company. Wolverine had supplanted Spider-Man by this point as Marvel's most popular character and turning him into a dead villain would have prevented his dozens of guest appearances each month.

What they should have done is have two Wolverines running around, one a master assassin and a normal one. They could have had their cake and eaten it too.
The funny thing is that when Mark Millar did it 15 years down the road (he insists he knew nothing of Claremont's original idea) in Wolverine's solo book, it made no difference. He was still appearing in multiple X-Men titles as well New Avengers and no one cared that he was going around killing people in Enemy of the State.
Old 06-11-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

To me, the more they revealed about Wolverine's past, and the more they mainstreamed him, the less interesting he got (although I didn't mind adding him and Spidey to New Avengers, because at least those were some new interactions on the team). I think the idea of the mystery was better than whatever convoluted plot they eventually came up with to explain it.

Actually, if I go back to the Lee years, all that setup for the Acolytes, the 12, the traitor that resulted in Bishop coming back, the New Hellfire Club that wiped out the old one, the assassin's guild (gambit), Cannonball being an External... all of the reveals basically sucked (the Bishop one was novel, at least, but man they massacred his character). About the only one that I really liked was Cable's origin.
Old 06-11-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Actually, if I go back to the Lee years, all that setup for the Acolytes, the 12, the traitor that resulted in Bishop coming back, the New Hellfire Club that wiped out the old one, the assassin's guild (gambit), Cannonball being an External... all of the reveals basically sucked (the Bishop one was novel, at least, but man they massacred his character). About the only one that I really liked was Cable's origin.
Most after the Lee years. I'm not sure how much he and Portacio plotted of Bishops backstory but that didn't unfold until they were gone. The Upstarts story really didn't really get going and what of it did took place in Uncanny with Portacio. Claremont/Lee teased Cable's origin over in X-Factor but again both were long gone when we got to the reveal.
Old 06-11-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
To me, the more they revealed about Wolverine's past, and the more they mainstreamed him, the less interesting he got (although I didn't mind adding him and Spidey to New Avengers, because at least those were some new interactions on the team). I think the idea of the mystery was better than whatever convoluted plot they eventually came up with to explain it.

It was clear to me that Marvel was never happy with any specific Wolverine origin and it wasn't like they had superstar writers in the '90s that could whip up a coherent, cool origin that would stick.
Old 06-22-15, 08:52 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm confused how obvious pandering to consumer demographics is respectful. Maybe I lack perspective but if someone altered something then told me "all you white kids eat this up" I'd probably be offended. It is important to have diverse role models and fictional outlets; but some of the bluntness with this seems odd. I'm 100% for interesting stories and risky changes; but when the meat of it is a bunch of maneuvering to just change the skin color of a character (like Bendis says of Spider-man) it feels more like thinly veiled exploitation than intelligent storytelling.

Originally Posted by Newsarama
Bendis says," it’s the real Spider-Man for kids of color, for adults of color..."

"Many kids of color who when they were playing superheroes with their friends, their friends wouldn’t let them be Batman or Superman because they don’t look like those heroes but they could be Spider-Man because anyone could be under that mask,” says writer and co-creator Brian Bendis. “But now it’s true. It’s meant a great deal to a great many people...”

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/24886-spide...announced.html

Last edited by Undeadcow; 06-22-15 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Racist.

Spoiler:
Old 06-22-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think he's saying that he created Miles Morales to do that, just that that's the effect Miles Morales has had, and I think I'm ok with that.

Where's my non-stereotyped asian superhero? And don't say Big Hero Six...
Old 06-22-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Would it not have been a better idea to just let Wolvie get kidnapped and brainwashed by the Hand into becoming a master assassin/ villain? What is it with comic book writers constantly wanting to kill and resurrect characters?
Old 06-22-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I figured that was just a nod to the Hand's MO with Elektra as written by Miller...
Old 06-26-15, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blatantly stolen from NEOGAF.......

Johnathan Hickman hears about Secret Warriors being on SHIELD and delivers an iceburn via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/614506131088650242
Old 07-04-15, 12:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Please forgive the multi-thread cross post everyone, but we're doing a Christmas in July gift exchange here in Comic Book Talk and wanted to give everyone a chance to participate.

Everyone will be given a name, you'll PM each other addresses, and send a little mystery gift bag of comics or comic-related trinkets.

Don't reply in this thread, but please see the below thread for more details and to sign up.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...-exchange.html