Reload this Page >

Leonard Starr Has Died

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Leonard Starr Has Died

Old 06-30-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Leonard Starr Has Died

One of the great storytellers of comic strips, and early practitioners of the photo-realistic style of illustration, has passed away.
David Apatoff, an illustrator himself and an articulate champion of quality illustration and comic artists has , as usual, a lovely obit/ode to him on his blog here.

Mary Perkins, his masterpiece, is well worth checking out. The 14th volume is due to be released next month, with the 15th and final one hopefully before the year is out. This is great stuff, kids-well worth the investment.
I'm happy that Starr got to see his work collected and appreciated before he passed and appreciative that CCP, which is basically a one man show, took all the pains to get this out. I should have discovered it back in the 80's when Dragon Lady packaged a volume of it- but the title gave me the impression it was a "chick strip" ala Mary Worth, which it absolutely is not.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 06-30-15 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Leonard Starr Has Died

A couple of years ago I found the 1st 2 issues of Kelly Green @ Goodwill for 50c ea. I know he only did the writing but I thought it was an awesome find. Adult graphic novels before they were called graphic novels.
Old 07-02-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Not familiar with either Starr or the Mary Perkins strip. I'll have to look into it.

Old 07-02-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

That artwork is great. I should know this guy, but I don't recognize any of the strips mentioned so far in this thread. What else did he do?
Old 07-06-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

I vaguely remember Mary Perkins. The art style was always so different than the other strips, though I can't remember reading it too much.
Old 07-06-15, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
A couple of years ago I found the 1st 2 issues of Kelly Green @ Goodwill for 50c ea. I know he only did the writing but I thought it was an awesome find. Adult graphic novels before they were called graphic novels.
Yeah the Kelly Green GNs were good reads- and Stan Drake, who was another early practitioner of the photo realist school, was a perfect match for Starr's writing.
Charles Pelto, the fellow behind CCP who puts out the Mary Perkins On Stage volumes, also plans to collect all the Kelly Green Books in one volume with a potential pub date of mid December this year.
That will probably slip, but whenever it shows up it will be worth the wait.
Old 07-06-15, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Yeah the Kelly Green GNs were good reads- and Stan Drake, who was another early practitioner of the photo realist school, was a perfect match for Starr's writing.
Charles Pelto, the fellow behind CCP who puts out the Mary Perkins On Stage volumes, also plans to collect all the Kelly Green Books in one volume with a potential pub date of mid December this year.
That will probably slip, but whenever it shows up it will be worth the wait.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I will probably pick it up as a reading copy. Here's a few pics of the ones I have. Drake's artwork does look similar to Starr's.

Last edited by mrhan; 07-06-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That artwork is great. I should know this guy, but I don't recognize any of the strips mentioned so far in this thread. What else did he do?
He wrote and designed Thundercats.

Last edited by mrhan; 07-06-15 at 09:09 AM.