Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batman)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batman)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batma

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Welcome, Crossoverking!

I believe they've solicitated a Marvel/DC omnibus collection collecting most of their crossovers, only for it to disappear after a few weeks. I wonder what the issue is?
I don't believe that's ever been officially solicited by either Marvel or DC. It appears on Amazon from time, and then eventually goes away or never progresses into more. Been like that for years now.
Old 04-20-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batma

Originally Posted by kodave
I don't believe that's ever been officially solicited by either Marvel or DC. It appears on Amazon from time, and then eventually goes away or never progresses into more. Been like that for years now.
I'm pretty sure I heard DC was prepping it at one time and then talk of it vanished.

I'll guess it had to do with getting everything approved by both Marvel and DC.
Old 04-20-16, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the welcome!

This thread actually gave me a kick in the butt. I'm nearly finished writing a history/collector's guide to 20th Century intercompany crossovers. I've done virtually nothing on the book in a year.

I lost my wife a year ago and have been zombi-ized since. Reading the enthusiasm in the thread for intercompany crossovers has hopefully renewed my juices to get back to work on it.
Old 07-05-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Coming in September - Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes (Dark Horse/Boom! Studios). This one sounds good.

Raised as brothers but separated by slave traders, Tarzan and his ape brother Caesar reunite when the war between man and ape takes them from the jungles of Africa to the center of the earth. From the writers of Revival and Power Man and Iron Fist! A co-publication with BOOM! Studios!
Old 07-05-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

This thread gave me flashbacks to when Valiant and Image did their crossovers years ago. Deathmate, I think they were called. The art was hit and miss depending on who was drawing the book but the stories didn't quite gel with people, if I remember correctly.
Old 07-05-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This thread gave me flashbacks to when Valiant and Image did their crossovers years ago. Deathmate, I think they were called. The art was hit and miss depending on who was drawing the book but the stories didn't quite gel with people, if I remember correctly.
Did anyone even read the full story? I bought the prologue issue but lost all interest long before the series was finished. Deathmate Red (Liefeld's issue) was delayed over a year, wasn't it?
Old 07-05-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Did anyone even read the full story? I bought the prologue issue but lost all interest long before the series was finished. Deathmate Red (Liefeld's issue) was delayed over a year, wasn't it?
Yeah, I did. It was pretty much shit, as expected.

The crossover was kicked off when Valiant's Solar met WildCATs Void during some kind of interdimensional jaunt.

The meat of the crossover wasn't as much of a crossover as a melding of the various characters and teams, similar to what Marvel and DC did with the Amalgam project a few years later.

There was very little story there, and it felt more like an obligation to satisfy the fanboys than they actually had an interesting story to tell.
Old 07-05-16, 11:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Wasn't there some big crossover that never finished?
Old 07-05-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Image United never finished, but that was just Image stuff.
Old 07-05-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wasn't there some big crossover that never finished?
"Schism" from Defiant Comics, the company Jim Shooter formed after Valiant. They were gearing up for a big event similar to "Unity" at Valiant when the company went tits-up. I think it was going to be a four-issue miniseries with all of their titles tying into it. The miniseries never came out, but a couple of the tie-ins did come out before the sword of Damocles fell.

I also believe that something similar happened with Neal Adams' Continuity Comics during one of their big crossover events ("Deathwatch 2000" maybe? Or one right after it?) I never read Continuity, so I can't recall for certain. Continuity Comics was always a hot mess that epitomized the speculator craze of the 90s with perpetually late books, gimmick covers, incomprehensible stories spread out over serial crossover events, and a general lack of direction.
Old 07-05-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. The final chapter to "Deathwatch 2000" never came out. They moved on to their next crossover, "The Rise of Magic" (which also never finished).

"War of the Independents" is an indie crossover that includes a ton of small press characters banding together in a Crisis-type storyline (Cerebus, The Tick, Gumby, etc). It's been running for almost 7 years now, slowly eking out issues and tie-ins every once in awhile. It feels like the story is too big for the people running it. I was real excited when it was first announced and even contributed to the Kickstarter campaign back in 2010. The first three issues came out roughly after that. Issue 4 was released through their website earlier this year. I think it's supposed to be six issues.

Speaking of Deathmate, Valiant comics just introduced a character named "Deathmate." I guess they owned the actual name.
Old 07-05-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The one that had the best artwork of those Deathmate books was "Deathmate Black." Yeah, they were all color coded. I think Liefeld's was Deathmate Red.
Old 07-05-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. Liefeld's was Deathmate Red. The sole reason Valiant went with a color system instead of a numbering system was because Image was chronically late with all their books. From what I understand, Valiant was to release the Prologue issue and Image was going to release the Epilogue issue. In the end, the Image books were so late, Valiant released the Epilogue issue to end the whole damn thing. Deathmate Red was quietly released a year or so later.
Old 07-06-16, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a rumor out there that Bob Layton actually went to Rob Liefeld's house and wouldn't leave until Liefeld drew his pages for the Deathmate prologue.
Old 07-22-18, 02:48 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Archie Meets Batman ’66

http://archiecomics.com/archiemeetsbatmanpreview/

Old 07-22-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Will for sure grab this one (from the library to read once they have the full series in TPB available)
Old 07-22-18, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Reading this thread, it still surprises me that Image didn't go belly up in the 90's during the market crash due to all their delayed titles and money losses.
Old 07-22-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Reading this thread, it still surprises me that Image didn't go belly up in the 90's during the market crash due to all their delayed titles and money losses.
Hollywood optioning every comic book property in sight during that era helped their finances a great deal. Virtually every Liefeld comic at one time was in Hollywood development because studios had seen how much Batman had made for Warner.
Old 07-22-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Plus, they were popular enough that retailers never really stopped ordering their crap when it was solicited.
Old 07-22-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Image isn't set up like a regular publisher. It's not set up to turn a profit. It's more like a collective of self-publishers and independent studios.

Image itself doesn't make money, or a lot. It differs from a traditional publisher in that creators aren't paid up front, but after their books are released. They then keep all of the profits minus printing costs and production fees from Image, and also keep all of their trademarks and copyrights.

But, yeah, if Image was a traditional publisher, they probably would have been bankrupted in their first five years from all of the late and never-produced titles.
Old 07-22-18, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Image isn't set up like a regular publisher. It's not set up to turn a profit. It's more like a collective of self-publishers and independent studios.

Image itself doesn't make money, or a lot. It differs from a traditional publisher in that creators aren't paid up front, but after their books are released. They then keep all of the profits minus printing costs and production fees from Image, and also keep all of their trademarks and copyrights.

But, yeah, if Image was a traditional publisher, they probably would have been bankrupted in their first five years from all of the late and never-produced titles.
I know that, but at one point everything was so delayed, that I was surprised the Image studios like McFarlane's, Larsen's and other's were not coming out on any consistent basis to make the idea work. Add to this the whole Liefeld embezzling funds fiasco, Lee taking the ball and leaving for DC in 98-99 wit the successful Wildstorm imprint and the whole Image structure could have fallen apart. Even Jeff Smith took his Bone book back to Image, which wasn't a good sign of things to come.
Old 07-22-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I do wonder what would have happened had Kirkman not come along with Walking Dead in the more recent era. That seemed to really complete the trend away from pure superhero stuff and into a place where writers and artists could stretch their legs once they got their notoriety and popularity working at the big 2. But I'm probably remembering it wrong, all I know is that there was a long stretch where Image wasn't very compelling to me from a storytelling perspective.

If anything, that brain drain really hurt the big 2.
Old 07-22-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I know that, but at one point everything was so delayed, that I was surprised the Image studios like McFarlane's, Larsen's and other's were not coming out on any consistent basis to make the idea work. Add to this the whole Liefeld embezzling funds fiasco, Lee taking the ball and leaving for DC in 98-99 wit the successful Wildstorm imprint and the whole Image structure could have fallen apart. Even Jeff Smith took his Bone book back to Image, which wasn't a good sign of things to come.
Spawn and Savage Dragon were two of the more consistently shipping titles for Image. It probably helped that McFarlane stopped drawing Spawn early on and Larsen is a very fast artist. Not that those two books didn’t hit shopping hiccups in the 2000s.
Old 08-08-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
DC and IDW announced a Star Trek - Green Lantern crossover starting in July. STAR TREK/GREEN LANTERN: THE SPECTRUM WAR will be 6 issues.

I really like this one - maybe more than I should.
Old 08-08-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stingo
I really like this one - maybe more than I should.
I never read it but will eventually get to it. Is it better than the LSH/ST crossover?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.