Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batman)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batman)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batma

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
During the 90s, I was a big fan of the Ultraverse. Reading some of those books now makes me realize how most of them were pretty BLEH! But some still hold up (like the original Mantra). When Marvel bought Malibu (to keep it out of DC's hands), they started filtering in a lot of Marvel characters (Juggernaut was the leader of the Exiles, Black Knight joined Ultraforce). Technically, the crossovers aren't "intracompany" since they were released by one parent company but the lead up to Black September still had the fun of different heroes from two universes meeting for the first time. Plus, the Ultraforce/Avengers crossover was well done. Especially Malibu's portion.

Basically, Loki was searching for the Infinity Gems which Rune has carried over from the Marvel Universe. They scattered and various Ultraverse heroes find the Gems and encounter Loki. In the midst of it, a 7th Infinity Gem (the Ego Gem) is discovered hidden in the Ultraverse which, when joined with the other gems, becomes a sentient being named Nemesis. Then the big Ultraforce/Avengers crossover that ends with the Ultraverse getting rebooted. Then it died a slow, painful death as a shadow of its former self.

Man, I ate that shit up! I got everything that was part of the storyline including the "∞" aftermath titles.

I loved the Ultraverse as a kid. I never saw this crossover though.
Old 07-13-15, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Intercompany Crossovers (i.e. DC v Marvel, Archie Meets The Punisher, Spawn/Batma

My most eagerly awaited crossover:

Old 07-13-15, 09:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

One of the comics I picked up at SDCC this weekend - The Savage Sub-Mariner #72 which is the second part of an unofficial crossover with DC (Aquaman #56 is the first part).
If I knew about this, I'd forgotten. Adding to my wishlist.

Just saw that was the last issue of Sub.
Old 07-13-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
My most eagerly awaited crossover:

At first when I saw that picture, I thought it was fan art. Now that I know it's going to be an actual comic, I'll be picking it up for sure! It appears to be the original lineup, so I guess this will take place in the late 70s?
Old 07-13-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
If I knew about this, I'd forgotten. Adding to my wishlist.

Just saw that was the last issue of Sub.
It was also the last issue of Aquaman for awhile (#57 was released 6 years later). If you're looking for some crossover goodness, you really won't find it in this story. Steve Skeates wrote that "final" issue of Aquaman with a cliffhanger. DC cancelled the book and about a year or so later, Skeates continued the story in that final Sub-Mariner issue. Aquaman's glove makes a one panel appearance at the start.

They announced a Batman/TMNT crossover as well as a Batman '66/Avengers (Steed & Peel version) one during SDCC.
Old 07-14-15, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Here is more about the Aquaman / Sub Mariner storyline ...

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/162/
Old 07-14-15, 07:20 AM

Love it when comics do stuff like like. Dial B for Blog is a fun read. Here's another early "crossover".
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/147/
Old 07-14-15, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
At first when I saw that picture, I thought it was fan art. Now that I know it's going to be an actual comic, I'll be picking it up for sure! It appears to be the original lineup, so I guess this will take place in the late 70s?
It looks like Tommy on drums to me so original line up but I'm not sure the time frame really matters in an Archie comic. I'm just looking forward to the hijinks!
Old 07-14-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Too bad none of the Ramones from the original lineup are alive to see it
Old 07-14-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Crossovers like the Steed/Peel thing sound really fun, but I can't help thinking that they'll be a legal nightmare down the road like the Micronauts reprints. Maybe they write better contracts these days.
Old 07-14-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Love it when comics do stuff like like. Dial B for Blog is a fun read. Here's another early "crossover".
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/147/
That was AWESOME... Reminds me of my excitement when I'd catch something like that when I was a kid... Like some of Neal Adams stuff I'm Batman...
Old 07-14-15, 05:27 PM

I've been reading lots of my crossover books thanks to this thread. Finishing up the two giant Superman vs Spider-Man books now. Predator vs Magnus Robot Fighter was suprisingly decent.

Now my OCD is kicking in and I'll probably end up owning every company crossover book ever.
Old 07-14-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I'm really surprised they were able to use the Marvel costumes, even if they were just costumes.

For some reason, all these unofficial crossovers remind me of the parody comic "What The...?" In issue 2, in a story written and drawn by John Byrne, Superbman faces off against the Fantastical Four. At the time, I was mainly a Marvel reader and didn't realize the significance of Byrne drawing a parody of these two particular properties, especially with how many of the jokes poked fun of his Man of Steel.
Old 08-11-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Over the weekend, I read a couple of crossovers that weren’t from the Big Two (or even the Big Three).

Justice Machine Annual #1 is from 1983 and features a crossover with the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. I picked it up a couple of years ago during a brief T.H.U.N.D.E.R. phase. I had picked up the JC Comics releases (through Archie Comics via Red Circle) from the early 80s and saw this crossover mentioned. I had to track it down!

At this year’s SDCC, I picked up a Silver Age T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents book and it got me in the mood to read this one. Outside of an early Justice Machine comic I have somewhere, I know next to nothing about them so I went into this pretty blind. It’s written by William Messner-Loebs so I knew things would be good. The story is firmly set in whatever storyline was going on in the Justice Machine title at the time. The T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents get involved when one of their recuring villains show up (the Iron Maiden). Overall - Pretty good!

This was a big release from Texas Comics who licensed the Justice Machine characters from Noble Comics with the intent to do a whole new series. It never happened. I think Innovation finally got hold of the characters in the 90s.

This comic also has the first appearance of the Elementals as a back-up story.

The next one I read was Flaming Carrot and Reid Fleming, World’s Toughest Milkman from 2002. What a trippy book! The writing style reminded me so much of Rick Veitch’s Roarin’ Rick’s Rare Bit Fiends. One scene flows incognitively into another. The story involves the Flaming Carrot and Reid Fleming on a game show (briefly) against Christopher Walken, Pavarotti and Fabio; Getting caught in a traffic jam with an angry wrestler; a vampire Lassie; and a date with the Girl from Ipanema. What is not to love? I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book!

I have a three-part Flaming Carrot story that featured the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the early 90s. I may have to read it again just because.
Old 08-11-15, 09:31 PM

Wow Valeyard, you're killing it in this thread!

I remember going to expensive lengths to track down that Justice Machine Annual back in the day. I had discovered Elementals and loved it, so had to track down every appearance. Pretty sure this first appearance was briefly in the $20+ range, which is way more than I ever liked to pay for anything. Didn't Justice Machine end up with Comico for awhile? I seem to remember owning at least an Elementals crossover mini series or something.

And I'm sad to admit that although I love both Reid Fleming and Flaming Carrot, I've always saved that issue for a rainy day when I need a pick-me-up, part of often bizarre save-the-best-for-last philosophy.

I've probably shared this tidbit before, but back in the pre-Internet days I used to frequent BBSs and even ran my own board for awhile. It was comic book based and my handle was Flaming Carrot.
Old 08-12-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I love that cover with its weird juxtaposition of Christopher Walken, a vampire dog, and the Girl from Ipanema.
Old 08-12-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really into intercompany crossovers, but do like when certain heroes team up. Especially when it's done for a joke. I.E.

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 08-12-15 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone know if that Superman/Fantastic Four crossover is any good? I actually own the poster for its epic cover but I never liked Dan Jurgens that much as a writer.
Old 08-14-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow Valeyard, you're killing it in this thread!

I remember going to expensive lengths to track down that Justice Machine Annual back in the day. I had discovered Elementals and loved it, so had to track down every appearance. Pretty sure this first appearance was briefly in the $20+ range, which is way more than I ever liked to pay for anything. Didn't Justice Machine end up with Comico for awhile? I seem to remember owning at least an Elementals crossover mini series or something.
Yes. Doing a quick online search, Justice Machine started at Noble; Pit-stopped at Texas Comics; Did a run at Comico before moving to Innovation. Last seen in 2009 in a Millennium graphic novel.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone know if that Superman/Fantastic Four crossover is any good? I actually own the poster for its epic cover but I never liked Dan Jurgens that much as a writer.
I have it and remember bits of it but honestly can't recall if it was good or not. Probably doesn't say much about it. I'll have to pull it out and read it again.

It's so big tho.....
Old 08-21-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the comics I picked up at SDCC this weekend - The Savage Sub-Mariner #72 which is the second part of an unofficial crossover with DC (Aquaman #56 is the first part).

Spoiler:
Alright. Grabbed "Part One" from eBay this week (along with a couple of Aquaman Adventure Comics). Going to dig into both books over the weekend.

Old 08-22-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

IMHO they are mostly gimmicks. Like Elseworlds and other "what if" comics I leave 'em on the shelf unless they are in continuity. IIRC the only one I've ever enjoyed was the Batman/Predator one simply because it made sense in a weird sort of way.
Old 09-06-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the Aquaman/Namor "crossover" a couple of weeks ago. Man, books were written so different back then. The Namor part references the Aquaman portion a couple of times which is pretty neat if you read them one after the other.

I spent Saturday re-bagging & boarding some older crossovers (and thumbing through them for a quick re-read). I zipped through Iron Man/X-O Manowar, Batman/Grendel II, Wolverine/Badrock, Spider-Man/Backlash, Grifter/Shi. The best of this batch was Gen13 #13 (A, B, C).

The story is broken into three 13-page issues with each one costing $1.30. The storyline features cameos by a bunch of Image characters (Dragon, Spawn, Jim Lee) as well as a plethora of others (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Bone, Monkeyman and O'Brien, Madman, Archie, Strangers in Paradise, Wolverine and Tony Robbins). It's a silly but enjoyable story. It also gets meta with some then-current Image shenanigans (Top Cow leaving the company and Extreme getting booted).
Old 09-07-15, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did Gen13 ever get collected in any comprehensive fashion? That is one Image series I really liked in the beginning and drifted away from it for some reason.
Old 04-20-16, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm new to this site...pretty awesome! I'm Jerry Hopfer from Johnstown, PA I was thrilled to stumble on this forum tonight!

I collect 20th Century intercompany crossover comic books, trading cards and posters.

I have every pre-2000 intercompany crossover comic that I know of...but am always looking for anything I may have missed along the way. So far, I have identified (again...just 20th century) 343 intercompany crossovers, 218 alternate covers, 22 trade paperbacks, 12 non-ashcan previews, 9 non-ashcan preview alternate covers, 11 ashcans, 2 ashcan alternate covers, 7 reprints, 2 paperbacks and 1 hardcover...627 intercompany crossover books altogether.

I was glad to see that there are so many intercompany crossover enthusiasts in this group and look forward to this thread continuing!
Old 04-20-16, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Welcome, Crossoverking!

I believe they've solicitated a Marvel/DC omnibus collection collecting most of their crossovers, only for it to disappear after a few weeks. I wonder what the issue is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.