Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Gave up on the omnibus reprint hopes so finished this 5 part collection:

Rounded out an order with this:
Old 01-08-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I actually considered buying the Omnibus, but found it to be way too heavy. I did love the fact that it included very single comic that crossed over with the main storyline. I just couldn't figure out how I'd actually read it comfortably.
I love Omniboo in concept, but agree that they're really hard to read. When I find the opportunity, I really enjoy the quality.

I actually haven't even gotten to the main event in Infinity Gauntlet yet.

Originally Posted by slop101
No, there's supposed to be a 5th Cap Omni coming out later in the year that wraps up Burbaker's run:
I didn't realize the run went that long. I have the first two Omniboo but haven't read them (see above).
Old 01-08-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I actually haven't even gotten to the main event in Infinity Gauntlet yet.
I actually think the build-up and the Silver Surfer issues are the best part.
Old 01-08-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
I actually think the build-up and the Silver Surfer issues are the best part.
So I guess it's all downhill from here.
Spoiler:
Old 01-08-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I bought both Lazarus trades before the HC came out, but at least the third one hasn't come out (like Saga) so if I hold out I wouldn't be double-dipping. Love the series, though, so I might not want to wait.
Makes sense. I've actually held off myself, so the Lazarus HC would have been perfect. I've really liked a lot of Rucka's stuff, especially Queen & Country and most of the Atticus Kodiak series of books, but felt fairly disappointed with the first novel in his newest Jad Bell book, so I think I just have fallen behind because of that. Need to catch up though, and hopefully I'll enjoy Lazarus too.

There were so many years between those Archive releases that I was excited to get a new one, even though we still haven't quite caught up to the period I was reading regularly. I'm not encouraged about further releases. Even if we do get them, the problem is once we get through the Earthwar sequence, the series goes into a real crater until the Levitz-Giffen era starts (which is very nicely reproduced in the Great Darkness and The Curse HC/TPB volumes). I'll probably buy them if they ever come out just to have them, but man, they were bad.
That makes sense too, thanks for the explanation. Personally, I didn't start until the 5YL reboot (which I quite liked [especially at the beginning before the editorial interference]) and then went back and bought dozens of the Levitz issues, and then later the Great Darkness & Curse, so I'd love to get at least Levitz' run compiled. But am not so familiar with what came before. I appreciate the background.

The black and white is a real limitation, but for weight and price, I find the Essentials great airplane reading. One Essential will usually last me the whole flight to Hawaii.
That seems good then. I've not taken a flight myself in over 20 years, so no idea how much material I might need to take along.
Old 01-09-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
That makes sense too, thanks for the explanation. Personally, I didn't start until the 5YL reboot (which I quite liked [especially at the beginning before the editorial interference]) and then went back and bought dozens of the Levitz issues, and then later the Great Darkness & Curse, so I'd love to get at least Levitz' run compiled. But am not so familiar with what came before. I appreciate the background.
I think you should be in good shape if you stick to the Levitz run, though JasonF is the real Legion expert around here (he doesn't seem to post in the comics forum anymore, sorry to say). There was a period in the '70s (before my time, but I've read them) when the Legion was just a backup feature, and the stories were usually "character" plots often involving secondary characters. Rarely did anything consequential happen--maybe the Fatal Five would pop up and be dispatched in eight pages. The main reason to read was to see Mike Grell drawing gorgeous women.

My Showcase arrived from IST yesterday, and it is that same period. The early part of the book is stuff I'm less familiar with, so that's good. If they release one more volume, that'll be the period I've been waiting for.

That seems good then. I've not taken a flight myself in over 20 years, so no idea how much material I might need to take along.
Hawaii is about 5-6 hours, so I carry on one phonebook-sized volume (like an Essential or the recent Batman Knightfall stuff) and one smaller book for variety, and that will last me the whole way. These days there are logistical and financial reasons for taking a lighter suitcase, but it's a vacation tradition for me to pack up a bunch of books that I've been waiting to read. Of course I got the wife a Kindle just so she wouldn't have to pack a big pile of hardback books, but I haven't taken the digital plunge myself.

Where I'm going makes a difference too. In my two most-frequent vacation spots, I know where the comic shops are so I don't have to pack to cover a full trip. Of course then when I pack I have to leave room in my suitcase for future acquisitions.
Old 01-09-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I actually considered buying the Omnibus, but found it to be way too heavy. I did love the fact that it included very single comic that crossed over with the main storyline. I just couldn't figure out how I'd actually read it comfortably.
The lack of ease of reading them comfortably is why I wish more Marvel Omnibus editions came with a digital copy (I read the Avengers vs X-Men omnibus digitally, redeemed the code and flipped the book in new condition on eBay). I do find that to read my omnibus editions, I need to make space on my kitchen table, as I will not try to hold these behemoths in my hands when reading them (once I start, I do try to finish the book asap).

Also, I recently added DCs The New 52 Futures End 5 Years Later Omnibus to my collection (you have to love IST's 50% off sales).
Old 01-09-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Avengers vs. X-men isn't an omnibus, though... it was also pretty expensive for what it contained, and I thought part of it was because they were giving you a digital copy.

I still find Marvel's Omnibus editions to be easier to read than the DC ones... the JSA one seems especially thick and hard to read.
Old 01-09-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't seem to have a problem reading Omnibus books at all, even the really big, >1,000 page ones. I just sit in a comfy couch, with the book in my lap.
Old 01-10-15, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rw2516
Is Marvel discontinuing the TPB line of Masterworks? Can't find any future scheduled releases. Got Warlock #1 today. Lately the last page would say what the next one will be next month. This one doesn't. Back inside cover shows "entire" line of MM TPBs.
Yes, unfortunatley the softcover masterworks has come to an end.

http://www.collectededitions.com/mar...ht_102614.html
Old 01-10-15, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you should be in good shape if you stick to the Levitz run, though JasonF is the real Legion expert around here (he doesn't seem to post in the comics forum anymore, sorry to say). There was a period in the '70s (before my time, but I've read them) when the Legion was just a backup feature, and the stories were usually "character" plots often involving secondary characters. Rarely did anything consequential happen--maybe the Fatal Five would pop up and be dispatched in eight pages. The main reason to read was to see Mike Grell drawing gorgeous women.
Yeah, that seems sensible and what you say jibes with what I've hear of the pre-Levitz period. I'd definitely start with his stuff, if only DC were to reprint more of it.

My Showcase arrived from IST yesterday, and it is that same period. The early part of the book is stuff I'm less familiar with, so that's good. If they release one more volume, that'll be the period I've been waiting for.
I'll cross my fingers for you, and hopefully they'll publish at least the 1 more Showcase.

I actually got my 2nd (recent) order from IST today, and am a little bewildered. The one last week was perfect except for one title, Power Pack Classic, that had several sticky glue spots on the front cover. The order today was similar, with everything great except for the Thing Classic trade that has one older sticky glue spot on it. Do you (or anyone else) ever get this, and any thoughts on how to remove them? I've tried rubbing at the one with fresh glue stains, and it's a devil to get even a little of it off.

Hawaii is about 5-6 hours, so I carry on one phonebook-sized volume (like an Essential or the recent Batman Knightfall stuff) and one smaller book for variety, and that will last me the whole way. These days there are logistical and financial reasons for taking a lighter suitcase, but it's a vacation tradition for me to pack up a bunch of books that I've been waiting to read. Of course I got the wife a Kindle just so she wouldn't have to pack a big pile of hardback books, but I haven't taken the digital plunge myself.

Where I'm going makes a difference too. In my two most-frequent vacation spots, I know where the comic shops are so I don't have to pack to cover a full trip. Of course then when I pack I have to leave room in my suitcase for future acquisitions.
Sounds very nice and sensible. And kudos for getting the wife to switch to digital while you kept to traditional.

I don't have anything meaningful to add, but it was nice to read, thanks.
Old 01-13-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got my copy of Tales of the Batman: Len Wein and have flipped through it. It's over 600 pages of Wein-scripted stories from the '70s and early '80s, though there are a couple newer ones, including Batman Black and White from 2014. What really makes me happy is this arc with Aparo art. I've kept a Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest on my shelf just so I can read this story when I want:

I'll cross my fingers for you, and hopefully they'll publish at least the 1 more Showcase.
Although I did the math, and I might actually need two more Showcases to get the issues I want.

I actually got my 2nd (recent) order from IST today, and am a little bewildered. The one last week was perfect except for one title, Power Pack Classic, that had several sticky glue spots on the front cover. The order today was similar, with everything great except for the Thing Classic trade that has one older sticky glue spot on it. Do you (or anyone else) ever get this, and any thoughts on how to remove them? I've tried rubbing at the one with fresh glue stains, and it's a devil to get even a little of it off.
I haven't gotten that problem as far as I know. I wonder if the DVD cover forum might have anything on it, as that would really bother obsessive people.

Sounds very nice and sensible. And kudos for getting the wife to switch to digital while you kept to traditional.

I don't have anything meaningful to add, but it was nice to read, thanks.
Old 01-13-15, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my copy of Tales of the Batman: Len Wein and have flipped through it. It's over 600 pages of Wein-scripted stories from the '70s and early '80s, though there are a couple newer ones, including Batman Black and White from 2014. What really makes me happy is this arc with Aparo art. I've kept a Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest on my shelf just so I can read this story when I want:
Thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear it was worthwhile, especially in regards to that Digest. Must be nice to finally have that story collected.

Personally I missed out on this as B&N waited until the last day of the sale to refund me $25. And by the last day of the sale then 1 of the 3 books I was going to order had jumped up to an 8% discount from a 33% one, which took away the benefit of even ordering from them. I'll make an effort to pick it up elsewhere soon though.

Although I did the math, and I might actually need two more Showcases to get the issues I want.
Ah, hopefully you can get at least one if not both. In the last couple of years we've finally gotten some great DVD's, from Wonder Years and China Beach to some more obscure titles, so hopefully they might revisit these Showcases. Good luck.

I haven't gotten that problem as far as I know. I wonder if the DVD cover forum might have anything on it, as that would really bother obsessive people.
Glad to hear that it's not widespread. I spoke about glue remover for labels once, and got a good suggestion, but just couldn't find it anywhere, including at Lowe's where it showed in stock but was unfindable, I guess that I'll have to look into that again. Yes, yes it does.
Old 01-13-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Volume 2
Old 01-14-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I picked up the Deluxe edition of The Killing Joke, I had not previously seen the re-done coloring. I am not sure I agreed with every new artistic choice by Brian Bolland. Every time an artist gets an attempt to redo their work, it always seems like they try to make a bold new statement.
Old 01-28-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Picked up The Star Wars from Amazon, which is the limited run series based on George Lucas' original screenplay for what would become A New Hope. Not sure if it'll be good or not but I was interested in reading it.
Old 01-29-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Black Science Volume 2
Outcast Volume 1
Saga Volume 4
Serenity: Leaves On The Wind
Quantum And Woody Volume 3
Old 02-02-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Guess who wrote the latest episode of Avengers Assemble on DisneyXD? Len Wein in a tale featuring the Squadron Supreme facing off with an evil version of the Avengers.
Old 02-02-15, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-02-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get the feeling you like Green Arrow.
Old 02-02-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I just went and got these three massive Omnibuses!

Uncanny Avengers Omnibus by Rick Remender

Fantastic Four Omnibus by Matt Fraction

X-O Manowar Classic Omnibu by Bob Layton

That's almost 100 issues worth of comics, for $150 - not bad considering they're also in over-sized omnibus hardcover format, with no ads.

Still my back's gonna hurt reading these...
Old 02-02-15, 08:46 PM

I read Longbow Hunters way back in the day and the tv show had me wanting to revisit the Grell stuff.
Old 02-05-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by danfindlay

Originally Posted by danfindlay
I read Longbow Hunters way back in the day and the tv show had me wanting to revisit the Grell stuff.
I'm a big fan of Longbow Hunters, and as I posted earlier in this thread, I only recently discovered the first two trades following it. I got them from IST and started reading the first one only to realize that this run might not be as well known because Grell didn't do the art. I'm still reading the books because I like Grell's writing, but it's not as awesome as I thought it might be.
Old 02-07-15, 01:58 PM
Banned

He man and the masters of the universe vol 01
batman haunted knight
batman cacophony
Old 05-03-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Latest haul:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.