Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

I hardly ever get them, but I am getting the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus next. I bought the original off rack copies, but I want this one too.
Old 06-02-15, 07:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitter Patton
I hardly ever get them, but I am getting the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus next. I bought the original off rack copies, but I want this one too.
Welcome to the forum! What brought you to these parts?
Old 06-02-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Yeah I know.

Oh, what?
Old 06-02-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

It's out of print and commanding serious dollars these days.
Old 06-05-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Flash Omnibus Volume One. I direly hope they continue printing the Silver Age Flash issues in omnibus format, I will buy all of them.

Time to jump on the bandwagon now, DC! Barry Allen is now the star of the most popular comics show on television. Millions want everything he's ever been in before. I've been disappointed we haven't been getting more Flash merchandise out of the show's success.
Old 07-09-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I was in Boston last week and, as I usually do on vacation, looked for some local comic stores and was excited to see I was in the home of Newbury Comics, which I've seen ads for numerous times over the years. Their website mostly listed toys, which I thought was kind of odd, but hey, it's a comics store, right?

Wrong. It was 95% pop-culture crap, with like four bookshelves of comics tucked into a corner of the top floor. What a disappointment. One bookshelf was dedicated to all graphic novels, while two others were random clearance titles so I did pick up some of those (Tor vol 3 as I mentioned in the reality challenge thread, FF World's Greatest Comics Magazine which I've been looking at for a while, and some Johns JLA-JSA-Legion crossover) at $5.49-$9.99.

I tried to hit one other store in Boston but I couldn't find it where Google told me where it was so it might have closed.

Old 07-17-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

My favorite series. Dark Horse is going to publish the entire run in four large format Graphic Novels. This one arrived today and I love it.
Old 07-17-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest shipment from InstockTrades:

Invincible Vol 20 (when I meant to order vol 21 )
Parker: The Score (one of my all-time favorite artists adapting one of my all-time favorite book series! Keep them coming, Darwyn!)
Iron Fist Epic Collection Vol.1 (I have about half of these issues as floppies, and it was still cheaper to get this collection than even "reading copies" of the remainder.)

I also picked up Legion Archives vol 9, Doom Patrol Archives vol 1, THUNDER Agents Archive vol 4, and the first DC/Marvel Crossover collection during HPB's sales last week.
Old 07-19-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was in Boston last week and, as I usually do on vacation, looked for some local comic stores and was excited to see I was in the home of Newbury Comics, which I've seen ads for numerous times over the years. Their website mostly listed toys, which I thought was kind of odd, but hey, it's a comics store, right?

Wrong. It was 95% pop-culture crap, with like four bookshelves of comics tucked into a corner of the top floor. What a disappointment. One bookshelf was dedicated to all graphic novels, while two others were random clearance titles so I did pick up some of those (Tor vol 3 as I mentioned in the reality challenge thread, FF World's Greatest Comics Magazine which I've been looking at for a while, and some Johns JLA-JSA-Legion crossover) at $5.49-$9.99.
My understanding is that Newbury Comics got out of the hardcore comics business years ago. I believe they were a major force a couple of decades ago. I remember seeing their ads in all the trades.

I picked up Justice Society Omnibus Volume III. I am a big fan of its cover art and got it on a whim, even though I've never read the issues it covers.
Old 07-20-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Preterite
Latest shipment from InstockTrades:

Invincible Vol 20 (when I meant to order vol 21 )
Parker: The Score (one of my all-time favorite artists adapting one of my all-time favorite book series! Keep them coming, Darwyn!)
Iron Fist Epic Collection Vol.1 (I have about half of these issues as floppies, and it was still cheaper to get this collection than even "reading copies" of the remainder.)

I also picked up Legion Archives vol 9, Doom Patrol Archives vol 1, THUNDER Agents Archive vol 4, and the first DC/Marvel Crossover collection during HPB's sales last week.
Damn it, preterite! Why are you bringing up all the stuff I need to read or buy?

I just picked up Invincible 21 and need to read it, after I reread 20 for a refresher.

Parker: Enjoyed the one I read and should read more. I love Cooke!

Iron Fist: Fan of the classic series and have the Essentials, but never picked up the Masterworks so I've had my eye on this Epic Collection ever since I saw it up for pre-order.

Legion Archives: Every so often I see these on sale and wonder which ones I still need. According to my bookshelf, I need 1 and 2. Recording it here for accessibility on the road.

Need to finish my Doom Patrol Showcase.

I'm a fan of classic Thunder Agents and own two or three of the Archive editions. I just picked up the new reprints (Classics, Best of Wally Wood) that I need to read.

I generally pick up my comics locally or at IST, but how do the prices compare at DCBS, its sister site? I'm sure selection is wider.
Old 07-20-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I got copies of the first Outcast and Wytches trades from Image in the last week.
Old 07-20-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn it, preterite! Why are you bringing up all the stuff I need to read or buy?
Because you have excellent taste?

Iron Fist: Fan of the classic series and have the Essentials, but never picked up the Masterworks so I've had my eye on this Epic Collection ever since I saw it up for pre-order.
Same here. There are some books that just look better in color, and this is one of them, so I'm giving away my Essentials volume to the kids of a friend. . I managed to put together a complete "reading" run of Power Man/Iron Fist - save the first issue of Luke Cage, which is too damn pricey - and now with this volume I feel like I have the complete saga!

Legion Archives: Every so often I see these on sale and wonder which ones I still need. According to my bookshelf, I need 1 and 2. Recording it here for accessibility on the road.
I regret not picking up #8 when I grabbed #9. I didn't think I would like the stories from this "in-between" era, but it turns out I enjoyed them more than the stuff from vols 10-11, even though that was the era I first started reading the Legion.

Need to finish my Doom Patrol Showcase.
I've only read one or two of the original tales. I might have to add the rest of the volumes to my want list if they aren't too repetitive.

I generally pick up my comics locally or at IST, but how do the prices compare at DCBS, its sister site? I'm sure selection is wider.
I dunno, as I've never ordered from them. There are several shops around me for new floppies, even though I find myself buying less and less as time goes on.
Old 07-21-15, 08:30 AM

Do pre-orders count? I made my first DCBS order since 2008 by pre-ordering the Sandman Overture and a bunch of Convergeance collections at 50% off.
Old 08-18-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I snagged a pristine copy of The Avengers by George Perez and Kurt Busiek Omnibus off eBay. I pretty much had to buy it since Perez is one of my all-time favorite artists and Busiek's run on the Avengers is a personal favorite. It does include Avengers Forever, which I already owned.

The availability of this omnibus has been a little strange. It got released and then seemed to disappear from legitimate sellers for a couple of months. Amazon does have it in-stock right now but I am not sure InstockTrades has carried it since release.
Old 08-19-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I snagged a pristine copy of The Avengers by George Perez and Kurt Busiek Omnibus off eBay. I pretty much had to buy it since Perez is one of my all-time favorite artists...
Then I hope you got the Wonder Woman by Perez Omnibus that just came out today.

Old 08-19-15, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I will eventually get it. I always wait a few weeks after release since DC's quality control is shockingly poor with missing issues and other problems in their trades/hardcovers/omnibuses. I wait to hear if there are any problems with a release from other fans.
Old 08-19-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-19-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

I snagged a pristine copy of The Avengers by George Perez and Kurt Busiek Omnibus off eBay. I pretty much had to buy it since Perez is one of my all-time favorite artists and Busiek's run on the Avengers is a personal favorite. It does include Avengers Forever, which I already owned.

The availability of this omnibus has been a little strange. It got released and then seemed to disappear from legitimate sellers for a couple of months. Amazon does have it in-stock right now but I am not sure InstockTrades has carried it since release.
Marvel has gotten really conservative with their print runs in the last year or two and I don't think they're producing much more than their pre-order numbers. I think this book is a case where the demand exceeded their (or their retailers') expectations and it went oop quickly.
Old 08-19-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Marvel has gotten really conservative with their print runs in the last year or two and I don't think they're producing much more than their pre-order numbers. I think this book is a case where the demand exceeded their (or their retailers') expectations and it went oop quickly.
Yeah, which is why I often don't care if I miss out on a Marvel omnibus. I hate supporting that type of limited edition nonsense. Marvel got burnt over producing some very questionable omnibuses (the Evolutionary War for example) but it indicates the people putting them together have little idea of what is going to sell.
Old 08-19-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
Then I hope you got the Wonder Woman by Perez Omnibus that just came out today.

I'm a fan of Perez's run and was wondering about this volume. It sounds like it isn't one of those huge need-a-drafting-table-to-read-it ominbuses since Amazon lists the size as 7.6 x 11"?
Old 08-19-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a fan of Perez's run and was wondering about this volume. It sounds like it isn't one of those huge need-a-drafting-table-to-read-it ominbuses since Amazon lists the size as 7.6 x 11"?
It's only 640 pages, which is super slim by omnibus standards. Some of mine exceed 1300 pages.

It's on sale this week:

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/W...S-HC/APR150306
Old 08-19-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Yeah, which is why I often don't care if I miss out on a Marvel omnibus. I hate supporting that type of limited edition nonsense. Marvel got burnt over producing some very questionable omnibuses (the Evolutionary War for example) but it indicates the people putting them together have little idea of what is going to sell.
I don't really think of it as limited edition. Retailers are free to order as many copies as they'd like upfront, but no one wants to get stuck with unsold stock. Marvel isn't going to produce a ton of extra stock and pay to have them sit in the distributors warehouse unsold. That gets expensive quickly, especially for books of this size/weight, so they adjust their print runs accordingly. They do the same thing with the Marvel Masterworks and that line is inexplicably chugging along almost 30 years after it began. The publishing industry has basically been turned upside down over the last decade. Everything has changed and print runs are shrinking across the board.
Old 08-19-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

It's only 640 pages, which is super slim by omnibus standards. Some of mine exceed 1300 pages.
It has 25 issues, (1-24 + an annual), so it's just under the average omnibus, page-count wise, since most of them hover around 30 issues, give or take. And it retails for $75 instead of the more typical $99.
Old 08-19-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's on sale this week:

I'm OK with that, and at $40 it's like the price of two or three TPBs.
Old 08-19-15, 04:07 PM

It's on sale this week:

That price, and my love of that material, is making it hard to go digital.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.