Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

The Marvel Masterworks look good and would cover what I'm looking for. Only problem is that they're out of print and some get pretty expensive. I might just start out reading what I have and then see if there are re-releases at some point. I don't want to invest a bunch in getting out of print trades really. The digital option is there too but I really prefer print. I'd probably pass on the Essentials as I'd rather have full color issues.
Old 01-07-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm a fan of the Epic Collection format, and that would be ideal, but they're about 30 issues each, so depending on where they start they might not quite get to Dark Phoenix in one volume. I can't say for sure if they will, but they did do a volume of the original X-Men so I assume they'll get there at some point.
Old 01-13-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

I picked up the 5 volumes of Über a couple weeks ago.
Old 02-11-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Civil War
Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe
Spider-Gwen Volume 1: Greater Power (pre-order)
Old 02-11-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saga: Volume 1

First trade I've bought in about two decades, partly due to its frequent appearance in my Instagram feed, and partly (okay, mostly) due to its $5 price on Amazon. Digging it so far.
Old 02-11-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Saga: Volume 1

First trade I've bought in about two decades, partly due to its frequent appearance in my Instagram feed, and partly (okay, mostly) due to its $5 price on Amazon. Digging it so far.
So Instagram manipulated you into buying Saga? Now I know how Saga became such a hot-selling trade.

Welcome back to the land of trades!
Old 02-12-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
So Instagram manipulated you into buying Saga? Now I know how Saga became such a hot-selling trade.

Welcome back to the land of trades!

I have a literature-focused IG account and most of the people I follow are fellow book nerds. Saw a recent slew of Saga-related posts from accounts I follow so I got curious and read the synopsis on Amazon. Couldn't pass it up at $5.

Wrapped up the first volume a few minutes ago. A three-star read. A brisk read and I loved some of the quirkier elements (Lying Cat. Ha.), but felt super-derivative otherwise. Dug the Frank Miller-esque art, too.

Added volume two to my cart but will wait for it to dip to $5 before continuing.
Old 03-17-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Batman: Contagion
Old 03-18-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just received the Batman Neal Adams omnibus after Amazon had it at a high discount and I applied the $10 holiday discount (total of $38.79 with tax). Wow, is this a monster. Compare it to the Daredevil omnibus I received at the same time (keeping in mind that the paper might be thinner than what Marvel used for earlier printings, and also please disregard the TPB that's shrunk to the side of it).

Amazon sent it in a cardboard box along with my Game of Thrones and no padding. The shrink was split in a few places, and one corner of the dust jacket was a little bashed, but it's acceptable. IST, of course, sent Daredevil in a bomb shelter.

Old 03-18-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I just received the Batman Neal Adams omnibus....
I should get that. I haven't removed my originals from their mylars unless I am replacing the board and mylar. I don't want to mess them up so I'm relegated to just looking at the covers and I'm not into slabbing.
Old 03-18-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mrhan
I should get that. I haven't removed my originals from their mylars unless I am replacing the board and mylar. I don't want to mess them up so I'm relegated to just looking at the covers and I'm not into slabbing.
I have the first paperback volume, which is just fine for reading purposes, but I'm looking forward to this.
Old 03-21-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picked up two HC today

Batman Unwrapped R.I.P.
and
Batman inked Dark Mirror
Old 03-22-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I just grabbed a used copy of the first volume of the Miller Daredevil TPB.
That brings up a question, for anyone really. How do you guys decide between the "complete collections" or the trade paperback versions? I havent ready any of the Miller Daredevil, so I have no idea if I am going to like it. I suspect I will, as I have really enjoyed some of his other work. I'm sure if I really like volume 1 I am going to want to get the rest, and I will revisit possibly getting the Hardcover. I assume you guys have read alot of these books before, and they are simply finally releasing nice versions of them.
Old 03-22-16, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 vol 1 The Long Way Home and vol 2, No Future For You. I've been meaning to read these forever but after re-watching BTVS and Angel on Netflix, finally broke-down and ordered these for cheap off of Amazon.
Old 03-22-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jjcool
I just grabbed a used copy of the first volume of the Miller Daredevil TPB.
That brings up a question, for anyone really. How do you guys decide between the "complete collections" or the trade paperback versions? I havent ready any of the Miller Daredevil, so I have no idea if I am going to like it. I suspect I will, as I have really enjoyed some of his other work. I'm sure if I really like volume 1 I am going to want to get the rest, and I will revisit possibly getting the Hardcover. I assume you guys have read alot of these books before, and they are simply finally releasing nice versions of them.
If I'm unfamiliar with a series, I like to try it out with a TPB unless I can get a really cheap deal. E.g., I was unfamiliar with the version of Guardians of the Galaxy that the movie was based on, so I picked up the first volume of that run (which I started but haven't finished). But I blind-bought the Howard the Duck omnibus when it was $30.

The Miller Daredevil is a classic run for me, which I own in floppy and TPB so the big collection was kind of an indulgence for me. I hope you like vol. 1, but I like vol. 2 much better. Vol. 1 lays the groundwork, though.
Old 03-22-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SatoshiNak
I just got Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 vol 1 The Long Way Home and vol 2, No Future For You. I've been meaning to read these forever but after re-watching BTVS and Angel on Netflix, finally broke-down and ordered these for cheap off of Amazon.
I've been eyeing those as well. They're on my list of stuff to get when I see it for cheap. Please let me know what you think of it.

If I'm unfamiliar with a series, I like to try it out with a TPB unless I can get a really cheap deal. E.g., I was unfamiliar with the version of Guardians of the Galaxy that the movie was based on, so I picked up the first volume of that run (which I started but haven't finished). But I blind-bought the Howard the Duck omnibus when it was $30.

The Miller Daredevil is a classic run for me, which I own in floppy and TPB so the big collection was kind of an indulgence for me. I hope you like vol. 1, but I like vol. 2 much better. Vol. 1 lays the groundwork, though.
That's what I thought your answer may be. I'm of a similar mind. I too blind bought the Howard Omnibus when it was cheap. But, for example, the Miller Daredevil Omnibus is significantly more expensive. It would be a bit more of a leap for me.
I will admit that I am torn. The big hardcovers sure have a lot more shelf presence than the paperbacks, and many of them are works of art by themselves before you even open them. But the paperbacks are a lot more convenient to actually read. Easier to carry with you, as well as easier to hold.
Old 03-22-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah to me the omnibuses are nice but I don't think I'd like them because they don't seem very handy to carry around and read. I prefer the standard paperbacks or hardcovers.
Old 03-23-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah to me the omnibuses are nice but I don't think I'd like them because they don't seem very handy to carry around and read. I prefer the standard paperbacks or hardcovers.
As I am getting back into the hobby, that is exactly what I am finding myself. I tried starting the first Walking Dead compendium, and ended up ordering the first hardcover collection used for about $10. It was just too big and heavy to cart around with me, or to hold for an extended period of time. Live and learn, I guess.
Old 03-23-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't often carry stuff around. I either read at home or while traveling on vacation. I do find the omniboo awkward and clunky, but I still love them. I tend to hold onto paperback "reading copies" for traveling purposes.
Old 03-23-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend bought that Batman Omnibus and that book is huge. I liked that they used Batman 251 cover for the book.
Old 03-23-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't often carry stuff around. I either read at home or while traveling on vacation. I do find the omniboo awkward and clunky, but I still love them. I tend to hold onto paperback "reading copies" for traveling purposes.
Well I don't have them on me at all times or anything. I just meant in terms of being able to take them with me to work to read on breaks or pack one in a bag while going on vacation or whatever. Its a lot easier to pack a standard sized hardcover or softcover over one of big ass omnibuses. Even if I'm at home I think it'd be easier just because the larger books are a bit awkward and uncomfortable to hold because of how large and heavy they are.
Old 03-23-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I've been reading so many Omnibuses and Absolutes, that when I do read something in standard size, it's too small. Kinda like going from a big TV to a smaller one. Reading them at home is no problem for me, and I don't take graphic novels with me, so that's not an issue either. So I don't mind the size, and I like that they collect so many issues inside one cover.
Old 03-23-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well I don't have them on me at all times or anything. I just meant in terms of being able to take them with me to work to read on breaks or pack one in a bag while going on vacation or whatever. Its a lot easier to pack a standard sized hardcover or softcover over one of big ass omnibuses. Even if I'm at home I think it'd be easier just because the larger books are a bit awkward and uncomfortable to hold because of how large and heavy they are.
Oh, I agree that the big ones are awkward, but I still like them. And since I work from home, I rarely take them anywhere except on vacations. I don't have to sit around and wait for piano lessons or that sort of thing.

Originally Posted by slop101
I've been reading so many Omnibuses and Absolutes, that when I do read something in standard size, it's too small. Kinda like going from a big TV to a smaller one. Reading them at home is no problem for me, and I don't take graphic novels with me, so that's not an issue either. So I don't mind the size, and I like that they collect so many issues inside one cover.
Old 03-24-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No doubt that the Omnibus and other oversized hardcovers are things of beauty. They are just freaking heavy and cumbersome.

When you go on vacation, do you bring an omnibus or two with you? Or do you do "reading copies" as you mentioned previously?
Old 03-24-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

When I'm away on vacation, I'm too busy doing shit to read. So taking books with me, Omnibuses or even little paperbacks, are a non-issue. And if I do need something to read while lounging by a pool (which is not something I actually enjoy), I'll read an actual book, since comics go by too quick - I'd be done with a regular graphic novel in minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.