Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Relaunches In October With Marvel NOW

Old 01-15-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Marvel Relaunches In October With Marvel NOW

I guess they are going for making Octopus the hero and Peter the 'villian' in that issue. You get a guy that is going to kill hundreds. Otto is going to do the reasonable thing and kill him to stop him but Peter will probably rather have innocent people die rather then he kill Massacre.

What the hell sort of name is Massacre. The guy more or less has to kill taking a name like that. Has Marvel ever giving a character a name that is the total opposite of their personality. Like someone called Genocide but the guy is the most gentle person ever. Won't even swat a fly.
Old 03-21-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What?!?

Angela Joins The Marvel Universe, As Neil Gaiman And Brian Bendis Co-Write Guardians Of The Galaxy

It’s no longer a legal issue. And apparently Marvel no longer consider it a spoiler.

But in the “post credits” scene of Age Of Ultron #10, the character of Angela will appear. Yes, that Angela.

Created by Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane in Spawn, the character was the subject of a number of Image comic series and appearances, as well as a long legal battle regarding ownership alongside Marvelman and Cogliostro, the character can be used by either Todd or Neil as long as the other gets a cheque. So, I guess, Todd McFarlane can expect a cheque soon…

The legal battle for Angela on Neil’s side was funded by his previous work for Marvel, as Marvels & Miracles LLC. The intention was to secure the rights for the publication of Marvelman/Miracleman from Todd McFarlane – until everyone worked out that he didn’t actually have any. So, you know, this might also be seen as a step towards the return of Marvelman from Marvel Comics, years after it was announced.

After Age Of Ultron, Angela will then become a cast member in the Guardians Of The Galaxy series for issue 5 at least, written by Brian Bendis… and now co-written by Neil Gaiman, representing his return to writing comics and writing for Marvel. Any more issues? No idea. Hell, Angela may even be in the movie, which may explain the legal issues mentioned earlier. But that’s just speculation.

What isn’t speculation is that I understand from other sources that Angela won’t just be appearing in Guardians but will be touring the Marvel Universe in the year to come.

Angela is the “guest” we referred to in a previous article. If you notice, the first letter of each sentence spelled out the word ANGELA. And now I’m not going to do that ever again. UPDATE: Ooh look, the New York Times noticed.

Spawn #9 just sold for $2.43 on eBay. I expect that will change soon.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/...of-the-galaxy/
Old 03-21-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The fans have been clamoring for this!
Old 03-21-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cheque?
Old 03-21-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not want Marvel Comics in charge of the Marvelman brand. I really wish DC would take control of it somehow, if the article is implying that Marvel wants it.
Old 03-21-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just want someone to reprint Moore/Gaiman Miracleman, it doesn't matter much who it is.
Old 03-21-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marvel already owns the Marvelman character. They also own all the 50s Marvelman stuff created by Mick Anglo. What they've been trying to figure out is all the "creator-owned" stuff that was created in the 80s. I think they're still in court to find out who owns what exactly. Moore's portion went to Gaiman and Buckingham (with Moore retaining first rights if Gaiman decides to sell his half).

Needless to say, it's a mess.
Old 03-21-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
Marvel already owns the Marvelman character. They also own all the 50s Marvelman stuff created by Mick Anglo. What they've been trying to figure out is all the "creator-owned" stuff that was created in the 80s. I think they're still in court to find out who owns what exactly. Moore's portion went to Gaiman and Buckingham (with Moore retaining first rights if Gaiman decides to sell his half).

Needless to say, it's a mess.
This.

All I really care about is Gaiman finishing his run, which is eight or ten issues, and then Marvel can do whatever they want with the character. I don't give a shit if they try to make him the Marvel U Superman or the new Sentry.

I have always found it curious the way everyone in the industry has been fighting over the Miracleman/Marvelman character for the past two decades when he's really a complete non-entity. Marvelman was just a quick knock-off of Captain Marvel created by an English publisher who lost the rights to the real Captain Marvel character. By removing the removing the trademarkable things from Captain Marvel (the names, the costume, SHAZAM!, etc.) and replacing them with new ones (Mike Moran, blue costume, KIMOTA!) they could keep publishing stories with a similar character.

The character would have been forgotten, and not shits given about him, if Alan Moore had not dusted him off for Warrior magazine in the 1980s and crafted a really interesting tale. And then you have people like Todd McFarlane trying to claim the character for himself, and anyone who had remotely anything to do with the character claiming ownership.
Old 03-21-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With all new number ones with the same titles to add to the numbering mess. If they want new number ones so much then just do volumes yearly. At least then it would have some order. Ending Fantastic four on 589 to start FF to restart again with 600 to continue FF which then makes it its own series and not a fill in for Fantastic four 590-599 to any great degree to just cancelled that after 611.

Being a bit behind on some the the crazy numbering I was just trying to figure out Wolverine the other day. 4 + 189 + 74 (yet it turned into Dark Wolverine with a different character) + 20 then starts up at 300 again until issue 317 to just restart AGAIN. O.o

I wonder if they can make a bigger mess out of it. And we are sure to get the big 400th issue at some point. They might as well just have whatever numbering is on it and just say as a side note, the 400th issue.

Can Marvel also stop using the word NEW in so many titles, aside from being boring it feels too much like a product with new in the title. (That goes back to New X-Men as well)