Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Ah, ok, thanks. Odd but I'll take X-men Blue v. 3 I guess.
Old 03-21-18, 01:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

It never fully ended, they just took the older books out of it. Some pre-orders were in it the other day.
Old 03-22-18, 11:00 AM

Checked my Marvel app today for the first time in a few months. There were 39 new-to-me freebies in the free section.
Old 03-26-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received an email from Comixology with a coupon.

Use code SPRINGFIVE at cart page of $5 off $15.

Offer ends 3/29 (11:59PM EST) Coupon may only be used once per eligible account. (cannot be appled to pre-orders, bundles, prior purchases, gift cards, etc.)
Old 03-27-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Marvel Comic freebies are back, for now (at least on Comixology) - Exiles #1, Annihilation: Super Skrull #1, Ben Reily: Scarley Spider #1, and Ghost Rider (2016) #1 are all free for now.
Old 03-28-18, 10:46 AM

More $0.99 Marvel new releases on Comixology including Wolverine (150-158, Origin 1-6) Epic Collection Blood Debt, Mrs Marvel (1-17+), X-men Gold (v4: 12, 16-20; v0: ['91] 70-79) etc.

https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Re...ale/page/17867

There will likely be a few more $0.99 trades tomorrow.
Old 03-28-18, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an email from Amazon a couple weeks ago about joining their Kindle Comics newsletter for deals and freebies. Today I got an email that let me pick a free Marvel collection.

The choices were:
Spider-Gwen Vol. 1
Patsy Walker Hellcat Vol. 1
Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur Vol. 1
Ms Marvel Vol. 1
Invincible Iron Man: Vol. 1 IronHeart
Captain Marvel Vol. 1
Old 03-30-18, 01:43 PM

About 5 new 99 cent collections today.
Old 04-02-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

More Marvel titles for 99 cents.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-02-18, 09:47 PM

Yep, Comixology too. At least a dozen that weren’t in the last sale.
Old 04-03-18, 01:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Strange. On Amazon I don't see the books as $0.99, yet on Comixology the sale is on again. Maybe it's a region restricted sale on Amazon, for some odd reason.
Old 04-03-18, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by user941
Strange. On Amazon I don't see the books as $0.99, yet on Comixology the sale is on again. Maybe it's a region restricted sale on Amazon, for some odd reason.
For what it's worth I still see the Amazon prices as $0.99; not sure if it's a 'Prime' members only deal (?).
Old 04-04-18, 12:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Comixology Marvel collections sale page doesn't show it, but it also affects a few upcoming releases:

* Star Wars Vol. 7: The Ashes of Jedha
* X-Men: Grand Design
* Thanos: The Infinity Siblings
* Star Wars: A New Hope - The 40th Anniversary

Are also offered for $0.99. If anyone notices any other books covered by the sale that aren't featured on the Sale page, please list them here.
Old 04-04-18, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by user941
The Comixology Marvel collections sale page doesn't show it, but it also affects a few upcoming releases:

* Star Wars Vol. 7: The Ashes of Jedha
* X-Men: Grand Design
* Thanos: The Infinity Siblings
* Star Wars: A New Hope - The 40th Anniversary

Are also offered for $0.99. If anyone notices any other books covered by the sale that aren't featured on the Sale page, please list them here.
Yep, those are all in the new comics daily list for today, along with several other new Marvel collections.

X-Men: Legionquest
Avengers: Mighty Origins
Marvel Legacy Companion
Avengers vs Thanos

And a big new graphic novel from Starlin and Davis, Infinity Siblings.
Old 04-04-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Star Wars A New Hope is the only one I haven't seen flip to 99 cents on Amazon.
Old 04-05-18, 10:48 AM

Comixology added a few new $0.99 trades released today, mostly Hulk stuff.

Looks like the wholesale $0.99 sale on Amazon/Comixology is over (for now) aside from this week's recently released trade.
Old 04-05-18, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.comicsbeat.com/cb-cebulsk...-digital-sale/

CB Cebulski made his debut as Marvel’s front man at a Diamond retailer event, standing before a packed room. The headlines probably came towards the very end of the panel when a retailer addressed the elephant in the room: the 99¢ sales on digital collections the week of release that Amazon and Comixology have been running. This is something many retailers have been privately complaining about.

Cebulski admitted that the matter was something he expected to hear about, but said in response that “I don’t mean to pass the buck, but it isn’t something we did. We sell [Amazon/Comixology] the comics at the same price [we sell them to you]. Just like you offer discounts, they do the same.”

That said, CB admitted these sales were a concern. “It is undercutting all of you. It’s not fair. We are aware of it and are addressing it. It’s not a Marvel issue. It’s an Amazon policy that we are trying to get to the bottom of. I don’t want to pass the buck.”

As a follow up, a retailer stated that no one would want to order the $24.99 Marvel Knights reprints if they were going to appear that week on Amazon as a 99¢ Digital edition.

“The price is not being set by Marvel,” Cebulski reiterated.
Old 04-05-18, 09:21 PM

He can’t possibly be telling the truth there.
Old 04-05-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So comixology/amazon is just randomly putting new releases from Marvel only for 99c without Marvel's input, losing money on each transaction? Multiple times? Yeah Akira Yoshida whatever.
Old 04-05-18, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
He can’t possibly be telling the truth there.
Originally Posted by fujishig
So comixology/amazon is just randomly putting new releases from Marvel only for 99c without Marvel's input, losing money on each transaction? Multiple times? Yeah Akira Yoshida whatever.
Of course he ain't telling the truth. Marvel is simply giving a big fuck you to Jim Starlin for the public business breakup they had recently due to this Thanos OGN. Yoshida is looking more and more like a tool and I simply don't see fans or retailers tolerating his bullshit for so long.
Old 04-05-18, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Marvel is doing this just for Starlin, why discount all their new books for weeks and weeks now?

Now that I re read it, I think Akira is talking about Amazon discounting physical books, because why else would he reference that they sell copies to Amazon like they sell them to retailers, that's not how digital comics work. So either lying or incompetence or they were really really bad at negotiating with comixology when they made this deal. Even now there are several lesser marvel sales and you can't tell me that comixology went on their own to do those without marvel asking.
Old 04-05-18, 11:15 PM

If Amazon is going rogue and discounting trades without publisher input/consent I wish they'd target some other brands in addition to Marvel.
Old 04-06-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Of course he ain't telling the truth. Marvel is simply giving a big fuck you to Jim Starlin for the public business breakup they had recently due to this Thanos OGN. Yoshida is looking more and more like a tool and I simply don't see fans or retailers tolerating his bullshit for so long.
You think Amazon is practically giving away hundreds of Marvel books just so that they can stick it to Jim Starlin? Really? Really?
Old 04-06-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

I work in the book manufacturing industry and Amazon has been doing stuff like this for years. Since practically day one they have been trying to wrest control over pricing from the publishers. Publishers hate this because the lower prices devalue their product and cut into their margins. However, every day that goes by Amazon gains more and more leverage due to the fact that they are pretty much the only game in town anymore. If your books are not on Amazon, they don't sell. Publishers don't really have a choice.

I obviously can't speak to any deal Marvel might have with Amazon, but remember that Marvel is owned by Disney, whom with Amazon has an ongoing feud. And wasn't DC in talks with Amazon at one point about a subscription service? That might help explain why Amazon isn't doing something similar with DC's books. DC might also just have negotiated better control over pricing than Marvel. Who knows.
Old 04-06-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I work in the book manufacturing industry and Amazon has been doing stuff like this for years. Since practically day one they have been trying to wrest control over pricing from the publishers. Publishers hate this because the lower prices devalue their product and cut into their margins. However, every day that goes by Amazon gains more and more leverage due to the fact that they are pretty much the only game in town anymore. If your books are not on Amazon, they don't sell. Publishers don't really have a choice.

I obviously can't speak to any deal Marvel might have with Amazon, but remember that Marvel is owned by Disney, whom with Amazon has an ongoing feud. And wasn't DC in talks with Amazon at one point about a subscription service? That might help explain why Amazon isn't doing something similar with DC's books. DC might also just have negotiated better control over pricing than Marvel. Who knows.
You're talking physical, right? Amazon does do massive discounts on physical. However these digital deals are beyond that, a digital book that sells for 24.99 and up was on sale for 99c on the day of release (heck, the day before release). That's some loss leader.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.